HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-12 Traverse City Prospects Tournament Roster

Old
09-06-2011, 12:57 AM
ohbaby

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
thats a whole lotta pressure on Thomas...to beat a kid who made the NHL right outta camp and had a pretty damn impressive rookie season? id be very happy if Thomas scores at a PPG rate.
Well, he's gonna take it one step at a time. He's no fool. He'll concentrate on these 4 games and go from there. Then training camp.

I am sure there is a lot of pressure on him. Mostly put there on himself. The thing with him is,... there might be even more pressure on him if he had to return to the juniors. You score 40 then 50, you can't go back and score 35!

Last year he was nervous in Michican and training camp. With another year behind him, to fill out some and gain confidence, he will be more relaxed this time round. He might not stand out like a Crosby, but he is gonna put up the points. What will stand out, will be his shot power. He has a wrist shot as hard as many slapshots.

You have to give his dad a lot of credit for his development if he happens to take it to the next level. He watched his dad his whole life,... and how he prepared for games making it possible to have a 20 year career. Including eating, sleeping, gym work and so on. Basically being Professional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
I see Bourque really standing out more so than Thomas -- that's probably just me though. I think his energy is going to allow for him to stand out more.

I'm going with Bourque and Erixon standing out the most in this tourney. Can't wait!
Ya know I already metioned 3 in Thomas, Erixon and McIlrath to look out for. But if I was to go 4 deep.....

He will Captain the squad this year and it's his 3rd appearance at Traverse City.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 04:47 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
To add a bit of optimism regarding NYR prospects, there is a potential 1st/2nd line in Kreider - Lindberg - Fasth that is not participating in Traverse City. Add that to This Team And I believe we can see the potential depth of the NYR fwd prospect pool !!!
Kreider-Miller-Thomas
Hagelin-Lindberg-Fasth
Bourque-St Croix-McColgan
McNaught-Yogan-Wilsson
Marchessault-Fogarty
Fogarty -
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Marchessault and Bourque can create offense as well.....

Bourque-Miller-Thomas
Hagelin-Yogan-McColgan
Marchessault-St. Croix-Wilson
Grant-Jordan-McNaught
Hicmottt-Kerbashian

Erixon-McIlrath
Ceresnak-Parlett
Baldwin-Bowman
Noreau-Niemi

Just a guess.....

Last edited by BBKers: 09-06-2011 at 05:27 AM.
BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 10:32 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
Tough to say. If he performs in Hartford as I think he's capable, then I'd figure he'd be ready to get a look sometime during the '12-'13 season. As with all the prospects in our system though, the numbers are against him at the moment. In his favor, though, is the fact that he's the best puck-moving defensive prospect in the system behind Del Zotto (I don't consider Erixon to be a prototypical PDM).
Agreed. He's really flying under the radar. I have a feeling a lot of folks will be piling on the bandwagon this season.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 11:09 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Agreed. He's really flying under the radar. I have a feeling a lot of folks will be piling on the bandwagon this season.
I am firmly seated towards the front of said bandwagon

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 07:00 PM
Pugs35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby View Post
Another honorable mention is Dylan McIlrath. He most likely will be even more noticeable than Erixon, due to his size, strength and playing style. But the Rangers have decided to bring him along slowly, like they did with Marc Staal. He is destined to return to the juniors for at least another year. Without a doubt, our future #1 shut down D man. Move over Marc.
Wait you think McIlrath is going to surpass Staal as our No. 1 Dman? I don't hate McIlrath like a lot of people here, but he has a long long way to go to even get to Staal's level, let alone overtake him.

Pugs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 07:02 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

McIlrath didn't even make the WHL all star team last year. Safe to say he has a ways to go before surpassing an NHL all star.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 07:15 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Move over Marc.
Oh Boy

This is way beyond cool aid.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 07:23 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
As far as the Rangers prospects go in this tournament,.. I don't think there will be any surprises. Thomas who played here last year with Stepan, will most likely shatter Step's Rangers point scoring record (8 pts) which he set last year. He's got 4 games to get 9 pts, which should be a cinch for him. Having played before in Michigan goes along way. Last year was Step's second time at Traverse City also. I feel Thomas will stand out above the rest.

Another who will excel in this tournament will be Erixon. Been playing with the men in Sweden. Also played in the mens WC. His experience will shine through. He should be very noticeable on D.

Thomas and Erixon will have a great showing in this tournament, and hopefully through training camp.

And I'll bet Stumpy and Jan, their dads, will be in the stands watching.

Another honorable mention is Dylan McIlrath. He most likely will be even more noticeable than Erixon, due to his size, strength and playing style. But the Rangers have decided to bring him along slowly, like they did with Marc Staal. He is destined to return to the juniors for at least another year. Without a doubt, our future #1 shut down D man. Move over Marc.

This is delusional.

Thomas isn't even close to Stepan yet, hold your horses!

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 11:30 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
McIlrath didn't even make the WHL all star team last year. Safe to say he has a ways to go before surpassing an NHL all star.
Pretty easy to say when the kid missed a bunch of time with a knee injury..Not going to say he is a STAAL but he could be a number 2 last season was not a great one for him time wise

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 12:14 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I am surprised more people are not interested in jam.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 01:18 AM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugs35 View Post
Wait you think McIlrath is going to surpass Staal as our No. 1 Dman? I don't hate McIlrath like a lot of people here, but he has a long long way to go to even get to Staal's level, let alone overtake him.
Well I did say, "Future" #1 D-man. Right now he's a diamond in the rough. Needs 1 maybe 2 years before joining the team. Then maybe 2 years pro experience before over taking Staal. But he is showing signs. As of right now,.. he is twice as intimidating as Marc and is not afraid of dropping the gloves. And when the gloves come off, it's one sided. Gordie sent Graves to take a look at him when playing against Philly's top rookie Brayden Schenn and totally shut him down. 4 years from now he will probably be a monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post

This is delusional.

Thomas isn't even close to Stepan yet, hold your horses!
What good is being optimistic after the fact. And I never compared him to Step and never would. One is a playmaker and the other is a sniper. But is it not possible he could follow the same road Step took last year? And all I really said was,... there is a good chance he might break his record in the upcoming tournament. I mentioned my reasons a couple post up. I guess we'll see how delusional i am next week. It's put up or shut up time for Thomas. And I guess for me as well.

Last edited by ohbaby: 09-07-2011 at 08:25 AM.
ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 09:24 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Well I did say, "Future" #1 D-man. Right now he's a diamond in the rough. Needs 1 maybe 2 years before joining the team. Then maybe 2 years pro experience before over taking Staal. But he is showing signs. As of right now,.. he is twice as intimidating as Marc and is not afraid of dropping the gloves. And when the gloves come off, it's one sided. Gordie sent Graves to take a look at him when playing against Philly's top rookie Brayden Schenn and totally shut him down. 4 years from now he will probably be a monster.

What good is being optimistic after the fact. And I never compared him to Step and never would. One is a playmaker and the other is a sniper. But is it not possible he could follow the same road Step took last year? And all I really said was,... there is a good chance he might break his record in the upcoming tournament. I mentioned my reasons a couple post up. I guess we'll see how delusional i am next week. It's put up or shut up time for Thomas. And I guess for me as well.
good god.

this mcilrath love is creepy and for the most part, unfounded. sure, hes big, hes mean, he punches people and pretty much beats them down, and he takes bad penalties. his production/contribution other than the above, so far, has been limited.

remember, he was the 3rd best dman on his team last year. he hasnt made an allstar team or a w team.

lets remember, hes beating on 17 yr olds. thing change when men punch you back. the scraps dont seem so one sided. lets not overplay this intimidation/fighting thing. when hes playing in the A or perhaps even the nhl- if and when he gets there, things will be different.

and forget the fact that you really dont want your " #1 dman" in the box for 5 minutes ...do you ?

right now, i think dylan needs to work extra hard to keep up with tim erixon. erixon is nearly a finished product while young mcilrath is still raw material.

hes got an enormous opportunity but also alot of expectations based upon where he was drafted. if he improves his overall game, i.e. defensive zone decision making, taking better routes, sharpens his time/space management, shows more confidence with the puck in all 3 zones, and continues to develop his skating, he could well be a difference maker in the future.

we shall see.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 09:54 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
good god.

this mcilrath love is creepy and for the most part, unfounded. sure, hes big, hes mean, he punches people and pretty much beats them down, and he takes bad penalties. his production/contribution other than the above, so far, has been limited.

remember, he was the 3rd best dman on his team last year. he hasnt made an allstar team or a w team.

lets remember, hes beating on 17 yr olds. thing change when men punch you back. the scraps dont seem so one sided. lets not overplay this intimidation/fighting thing. when hes playing in the A or perhaps even the nhl- if and when he gets there, things will be different.

and forget the fact that you really dont want your " #1 dman" in the box for 5 minutes ...do you ?

right now, i think dylan needs to work extra hard to keep up with tim erixon. erixon is nearly a finished product while young mcilrath is still raw material.

hes got an enormous opportunity but also alot of expectations based upon where he was drafted. if he improves his overall game, i.e. defensive zone decision making, taking better routes, sharpens his time/space management, shows more confidence with the puck in all 3 zones, and continues to develop his skating, he could well be a difference maker in the future.

we shall see.
McIlrath was beating on kids much older than he was prior to being drafted. He fought a guy from the AHL last year in the Rangers-Devils AHL game and beat him down. He is a VERY skilled fighter.

However, that is not what he should concentrate on. He needs to work on puck control and his hands more than anything else. His feet are fine, he just needs to have a better feel for the game is all.

Old
09-07-2011, 10:38 AM
Levitate

Quote:
McIlrath was beating on kids much older than he was prior to being drafted. He fought a guy from the AHL last year in the Rangers-Devils AHL game and beat him down. He is a VERY skilled fighter.
Actually I think that guy was also a player who just jumped up from the CHL to play in the AHL at the end of the year. Don't think he was an AHL vet

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 11:07 AM
TreeSapLlama

Coming from a big McIlrath fan, let's slow down the hype train a little bit here. He will be a good player, but lets not annoint him the next Marc Staal just yet. This tournament can't come soon enough

TreeSapLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 11:46 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Actually I think that guy was also a player who just jumped up from the CHL to play in the AHL at the end of the year. Don't think he was an AHL vet
Hmm, that's very possible as well. I just remember reading he was an AHL player. I knew he wasn't a veteran, sorry about that if that's the way it read.

I mainly agree with ODC's description, he has quite a bit to work on but the good thing is he has the natural skills that you can't teach.

Just like Kreider, he is a project but he has the work ethic and head on his shoulders.

Old
09-07-2011, 11:53 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Hmm, that's very possible as well. I just remember reading he was an AHL player. I knew he wasn't a veteran, sorry about that if that's the way it read.

I mainly agree with ODC's description, he has quite a bit to work on but the good thing is he has the natural skills that you can't teach.

Just like Kreider, he is a project but he has the work ethic and head on his shoulders.

the bolded part is the difference maker.

he interviewed great. thats what gordie said and to me, thats what gordie looks for. hes got a huge frame, hes intelligent, very coachable and shows great character.

hes the type of player you can build around- even if he doesnt possess top 4 stuff right now.

if this organization is patient with this kid- we havent shown that patience recently with many of our picks, big mac may well develop into the kind of player that can anchor a defense even if he doesnt put up more than 25 points a season.

Old
09-07-2011, 11:58 AM
Levitate

Quote:
[/B]
if this organization is patient with this kid- we havent shown that patience recently with many of our picks, big mac may well develop into the kind of player that can anchor a defense even if he doesnt put up more than 25 points a season.
Really? Who have the Rangers not shown patience with? Del Zotto is the only one I can really think of but every player that has been "rushed" in has been so because they earned a spot in training camp

Old
09-07-2011, 12:13 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Really? Who have the Rangers not shown patience with? Del Zotto is the only one I can really think of but every player that has been "rushed" in has been so because they earned a spot in training camp
patience not as in rushing to the nhl but in development and letting him learn in the ahl.

weve moved quite a few guys recently via trade. seems like we made a decision that they either cant play or wont play for us. many of those guys, i felt, had nhl futures. werek, horak and grachev come to mind. those guys were moved before they had a real chance to show their stuff and develop.

this kid is going to take time. he may plateau- ala grachev, and thats the time that patience will be at a premium.

Old
09-07-2011, 12:21 PM
Levitate

Got it, though I think Werek was moved for reasons other than hockey related, and Horak was moved simply because the Rangers could acquire a better prospect. Grachev is a good point though

Old
09-07-2011, 01:20 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
[/B]

the bolded part is the difference maker.

he interviewed great. thats what gordie said and to me, thats what gordie looks for. hes got a huge frame, hes intelligent, very coachable and shows great character.

hes the type of player you can build around- even if he doesnt possess top 4 stuff right now.

Where is ODC and what did you do with him? Weren't you very pessimistic about McIlrath at one point or am I confusing you with someone else?

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 02:12 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Where is ODC and what did you do with him? Weren't you very pessimistic about McIlrath at one point or am I confusing you with someone else?
haha. nope. im still here.

my pessimism was only due to where we drafted him relative to the other players still unchosen at the time.

if you remember, then again why would you , i posted that my my good friend who works for the whl and lives in western canada along with a few "scout" type buddies of mine out here on the east coast are all very high on mcilrath.

hes a nice project. but hes far from a certainty.

and for the record, i still would have drafted tarasenko.....

Old
09-07-2011, 02:19 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
haha. nope. im still here.

my pessimism was only due to where we drafted him relative to the other players still unchosen at the time.

if you remember, then again why would you , i posted that my my good friend who works for the whl and lives in western canada along with a few "scout" type buddies of mine out here on the east coast are all very high on mcilrath.

hes a nice project. but hes far from a certainty.

and for the record, i still would have drafted tarasenko.....
I'd have to be leaning towards Kuznetsov or Jayden Schwartz at this point.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 02:21 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 876
I can't ****ing wait until Saturday. I just want to watch some live hockey.

09-07-2011, 02:33 PM
NYR Viper

Just like Kreider, McIlrath will continue to draw attention because he is a project who people are either very high on, or not. There seems to be very few in the middle on either of those (2) players.