HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Next great Swedish defenseman?

Old
02-27-2013, 07:00 PM
Kulleroinen*

vCash: 500
My money is on Klefbom.

Kulleroinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 07:13 PM
canucksPK

Too early to say Hampus Lindholm?

canucksPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:12 AM
TCJ

Brodin is the truth.

If you haven't seen him play yet, watch a wild game. He and Larsson I think are in a class of their own.

TCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:36 AM
ponder

Karlsson is my #1 by far, with OEL being #2 and well ahead of the rest. After that I can see arguments for guys like Hedman, Larsson or Brodin, but I don't see them challenging Karlsson or OEL. Edler, Enstrom and Kronwall are all awesome too, but they're 26, 28 and 32, so probably don't qualify for a thread like this.

Regardless, Sweden are stacked beyond belief of d.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 07:44 AM
JackBauer

In 5 years, this is how I see them ranked:

Karlsson
OEL
Lindholm
Brodin
Larsson
Hedman

I think the offense of OEL/Lindholm put them slightly ahead of Brodin/Larsson - in 5 years.

JackBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:59 PM
Eye Floater

If you haven't seen him play yet, watch a Wild game and check out Brodin. For being 19 years old and a rookie, he is unbelievable. He has the poise of a 15 year NHL veteran. He is is a tremendous skater, he is so calm with the puck, and he is shutting down the opposing team's #1 line like it's no big deal. If you watch him closely he makes all of these little plays that other guys wouldn't even think of doing, and he is tremendous at using his stick to steal the puck from the opponent.

Once his offense develops, watch out. He is the real deal.

Eye Floater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 04:07 PM
Huffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Alberks View Post
If you haven't seen him play yet, watch a Wild game and check out Brodin. For being 19 years old and a rookie, he is unbelievable. He has the poise of a 15 year NHL veteran. He is is a tremendous skater, he is so calm with the puck, and he is shutting down the opposing team's #1 line like it's no big deal. If you watch him closely he makes all of these little plays that other guys wouldn't even think of doing, and he is tremendous at using his stick to steal the puck from the opponent.

What Brodin has to improve is his shot. Better shot --> more PP-time --> Better numbers --> more recognition. His shot is pretty weak. Defensively he is the best or the second best of the bunch, already, I dare say.

Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 04:07 PM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Yeah I really love Brodins play. He will be a really good one. I'm quite pleased how our young defensive core are developing. Sweden will have a helluva D in the 2018 olympics

vippe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 04:09 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Alberks View Post

Honestly, I think all of us might be selling him slightly high RIGHT NOW because he still is a rookie and I think he still makes some mistakes.

But what is beautiful is that he is already a #2-3 defenseman as a 19-year old, and is capable of defending even the toughest players without using his body, its amazing to watch. I have not seen many players that can defend in the NHL without having a decent amount of muscle.

He is about only 170lbs and he can handle 200lbs forwards with such ease, poise, and such fluidity in his movements. Just imagine what he can do when he is about 180lbs, more experienced and more poised.

Drool...

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 07:48 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer View Post

Karlsson
OEL
Lindholm
Brodin
Larsson
Hedman

I think the offense of OEL/Lindholm put them slightly ahead of Brodin/Larsson - in 5 years.
You must think highly of Lindholm.

I'm not complaining, for the record.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 12:36 AM
AngelDuck
Rak 'em up

Lindholm and Brodin seem pretty similar. Hockey IQ off the charts, shot biggest weakness, excellent in own zone, offensive upside, smooth skaters. Lindholm is going to be a good one if the concussions stop

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 01:08 AM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 50
Brodin's blown me away so far.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 01:13 AM
Dr Good Vibes

Klefbom by a landslide.

Dr Good Vibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 01:14 AM
CanadianSharks

Karlsson
Ekman-Larsson/Larsson/Hedman
Rundblad
Erixon

is how I see it.

CanadianSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 03:37 AM
Febfemton

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer View Post

Karlsson
OEL
Lindholm
Brodin
Larsson
Hedman

I might want to throw in Klefbom ahead of Hedman in that mix but other than that it is a solid list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienShark View Post
Karlsson
Ekman-Larsson/Larsson/Hedman
Rundblad
Erixon

is how I see it.
Your list feels outdated by a couple of years.

Febfemton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:58 AM
vitogor

Sweden's D will be unbelievable for the next 3 Olympics.

What's the deal with that, anyway? Is it because everybody wanted to be the next Nick Lidstrom growing up?

vitogor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:16 AM
Shyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitogor View Post
Sweden's D will be unbelievable for the next 3 Olympics.

What's the deal with that, anyway? Is it because everybody wanted to be the next Nick Lidstrom growing up?
I think that they have made a big effort in developing defensemen that can move the puck and get involved offensively, two-way defensemen is something that are always useful for any team. I'd say that pretty much all defensemen mentioned is this thread can play well in all zones, tho some still have some work to do in developing their game further.

Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:47 AM
alpine4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Karlsson is my #1 by far, with OEL being #2 and well ahead of the rest. After that I can see arguments for guys like Hedman, Larsson or Brodin, but I don't see them challenging Karlsson or OEL. Edler, Enstrom and Kronwall are all awesome too, but they're 26, 28 and 32, so probably don't qualify for a thread like this.

Regardless, Sweden are stacked beyond belief of d.
I would agree with that post from A-Z

alpine4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:53 AM
Hybbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybbe View Post
Larsson: Hedman, but with slightly worse skating and much better hockey sense.
Ekman-Larsson: Will be a complete defenseman once he fills out his frame. No weaknesses except perhaps his slapshot.
Hedman: Has all the tools in the world; fantastic skater, agile (despite his size), awesome reach, but lacks the hockey sense of some of these other guys.
Karlsson: Offensively a beast. Needs to work on his defensive game and he has a disadvantage because of his small stature.
Rundblad: Shares the same strengths and weaknesses as Karlsson, except he's more physical. A risk taker who could do a lot of damage offensively if his game translates.
Brodin/Ekholm/Erixon: Solid two-way defensemen. However, they lack the upside of the kids mentioned above.

That's how I'd rank them. Although it wouldn't surprise me one bit if in a few years you could turn this list completely upside down and I'd look like a clown.
I'm not looking like a clown yet, am I?

After following Ottawa and Karlsson I have a hard time not putting him at the very top. He's been amazing and it seems like he's constantly chipping away at his weaknessess (this is what sets him apart from a guy like Rundblad who's still struggling with his shortcomings) which makes him a nearly complete player right now with the very rare ability to take over games. Before he was injured I think he was on his way to becoming, if not the best then at the very least one of the top 2-3 players in the entire league regardless of position.

I also feel like I've been underrating the importance of having a high hockey IQ, particularly when it comes to Brodin. I still think he lacks some of the skills Karlsson, OEL etc possesses, but I still think he has the chance to become a premier defenseman in the league.

OEL has always been a favorite of mine and he continues to impress. Right now I think he's the second best defenseman on the list, with Hedman slightly behind.

Hybbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 09:05 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 533
Klefbom with the oilers

03-01-2013, 10:24 AM
triggrman

vCash: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
He's in the AHL working on his game. Judging by his stats sheet he looks to be doing pretty well. The people who thought he was going to become a #1 defenceman were probably hyping him up a little too much though.

He'll probably get his chance to join the NHL team out of training camp next season.
He'll have a tough time being a number 1 guy in Nashville with Weber, Josi and Ellis all still fairly young. I do like his size and shot though. If he finds a mean streak, he'll be incredible.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:27 AM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Hedman Larsson
Karlsson OEL
Lindholm Brodin

Lundqvist

**** Sweden how do you develop that D.

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:26 AM
svartgul
Hata Löven

Send a message via ICQ to svartgul Send a message via MSN to svartgul Send a message via Skype™ to svartgul
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsky View Post
Hedman Larsson
Karlsson OEL
Lindholm Brodin

Lundqvist

**** Sweden how do you develop that D.
International sized rinks have alot to do with it for one. And the other is the fact that SEL is becoming more of a farm league with higher financial competition from NHL and KHL which drains the pool of high end talent. Go back five or more years and very few 17-19 year olds were playing in it, now young kids are getting to play at a higher level at an earlier age because the clubs have to compensate.

svartgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:34 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
He'll have a tough time being a number 1 guy in Nashville with Weber, Josi and Ellis all still fairly young. I do like his size and shot though. If he finds a mean streak, he'll be incredible.
I don't think Ekholm has the talent to be a number one as his offense is good but not elite and his defense is mostly built on size, but he can be the guy you play with your number one or maybe anchor the second pairing. The low projection would be a #5 who never quite takes the steps necessary defensively but is contributing to the PP.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 12:01 PM
triggrman

vCash: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
I don't think Ekholm has the talent to be a number one as his offense is good but not elite and his defense is mostly built on size, but he can be the guy you play with your number one or maybe anchor the second pairing. The low projection would be a #5 who never quite takes the steps necessary defensively but is contributing to the PP.
Sounds like a perfect match for Klein.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote