HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Next great Swedish defenseman?

Old
08-15-2011, 09:03 AM
nafrelio

vCash: 500
Those guys are going to make an incredible defense on the upcoming Olympic games (assuming NHL players are allowed to play). 2014 some of them will be on it, 2018 should be stellar. With some excellent young forward prospects, Sweden should have a great team for a while!

nafrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 09:23 AM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Hedman is probably the best and will be Sweden + Tampa's anchor on D for years to come.

I think Brodin is more of a Tallinder type. Doesn't do much wrong, doesn't do anything spectacular. Good defenceman who might make the national squad. Wouldn't project him to be "great", not moreso than others on the list anyways.

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 09:32 AM
xking23
Petersson

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
First of all, i don't have favourite team in NHL, i cheer for the underdogs like nashville, blues. I don't have favourite team in sweden aswell, i'm from finland but i can watch SEL games via TV. 0 homerism here. Brodin has unique hockey sense, he keeps his head up most of the time with the puck, similar to Nicklas Lidström, Gives excellent and fast first passes which help to get out of the own zone to the offensive zone. Very good defensively, haven't proved much offensively because he didn't have chance to play at his senior club. Excellent skater. Needs to bulk up and his shot have to get better. Most of these other young swedish defensemen are more NHL-ready but i think that Brodin is the most talented one.
Sorry, that wasn't directed towards you (even though it does sound like it. As I have on my list, I do really like Brodin, and you already did explain yourself (I think). The other guy that kept being attacky was though getting on my nerves. But thanks for the insight into Brodin (don't get to see him play much).

xking23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 09:38 AM
Coco the Monkey*
T-Bone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
Hedman is probably the best and will be Sweden + Tampa's anchor on D for years to come.

I think Brodin is more of a Tallinder type. Doesn't do much wrong, doesn't do anything spectacular. Good defenceman who might make the national squad. Wouldn't project him to be "great", not moreso than others on the list anyways.
Did you just read steffeG's opinion of him? If that's true then he isn't the best.

Coco the Monkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 09:44 AM
FrozenJagrt

Anton Stralman. Book it.

FrozenJagrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 09:49 AM
Coco the Monkey*
T-Bone!

Quote:
First of all, i don't have favourite team in NHL, i cheer for the underdogs like nashville, blues. I don't have favourite team in sweden aswell, i'm from finland but i can watch SEL games via TV. 0 homerism here. Brodin has unique hockey sense, he keeps his head up most of the time with the puck, similar to Nicklas Lidström, Gives excellent and fast first passes which help to get out of the own zone to the offensive zone. Very good defensively, haven't proved much offensively because he didn't have chance to play at his senior club. Excellent skater. Needs to bulk up and his shot have to get better. Most of these other young swedish defensemen are more NHL-ready but i think that Brodin is the most talented one.
lol right, Brodin is more talented than Larsson...

Old
08-15-2011, 10:16 AM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

Ekman-Larsson,Hedman, and Karlsson cannot be compared to Larsson, Erixon, Rundblad, and Brodin. Let these four play a season in the NHL and then we can compare who really will be the best defenseman. But here is my list(Based on highest potential)

Ekman-Larsson
Larsson/Hedman
Karlsson
Rundblad
Erixon
Brodin

Seto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 10:20 AM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco the Monkey View Post
Did you just read steffeG's opinion of him? If that's true then he isn't the best.
And he's entitled to his opinion as I am mine

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 10:44 AM
Hybbe

Larsson: Hedman, but with slightly worse skating and much better hockey sense.
Ekman-Larsson: Will be a complete defenseman once he fills out his frame. No weaknesses except perhaps his slapshot.
Hedman: Has all the tools in the world; fantastic skater, agile (despite his size), awesome reach, but lacks the hockey sense of some of these other guys.
Karlsson: Offensively a beast. Needs to work on his defensive game and he has a disadvantage because of his small stature.
Rundblad: Shares the same strengths and weaknesses as Karlsson, except he's more physical. A risk taker who could do a lot of damage offensively if his game translates.
Brodin/Ekholm/Erixon: Solid two-way defensemen. However, they lack the upside of the kids mentioned above.

That's how I'd rank them. Although it wouldn't surprise me one bit if in a few years you could turn this list completely upside down and I'd look like a clown.

Hybbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 10:57 AM
TrueGrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by His Beardliness View Post
Only problem with that is that they're both right shooters.
Oh heavens no!

TrueGrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 02:08 PM
thomast

Quote:
lol right, Brodin is more talented than Larsson...
Have you actualy Watched them playing? Brodin had way Better performance at sel final When their Team matched against eachother. Larsson is More NHL ready and More proven, but brodin has excellent skating ability, decisions with the puck are faster than larsson and clearly the most are correct More than larsson. Larsson have Better physical abilities but is worser defensively, offensively He's More proven but i think that brodin has potential to surpass him. Larsson is physically in Better Shape than brodin and More proven offensively, brodin is Better at everything else.

thomast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 02:16 PM
DeflatedFootball7

The Flyers have Erik Gustaffson. I don't think he'll be the next great Swedish D-Man but I think he could become one of the better offensive D-men in the NHL.

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 02:19 PM
Coco the Monkey*
T-Bone!

Quote:
Have you actualy Watched them playing? Brodin had way Better performance at sel final When their Team matched against eachother. Larsson is More NHL ready and More proven, but brodin has excellent skating ability, decisions with the puck are faster than larsson and clearly the most are correct More than larsson. Larsson have Better physical abilities but is worser defensively, offensively He's More proven but i think that brodin has potential to surpass him. Larsson is physically in Better Shape than brodin and More proven offensively, brodin is Better at everything else.
Then why was Larsson taken 4th overall? Scouts obviously watched both closely in the SEL final.

Old
08-15-2011, 02:44 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Then why was Larsson taken 4th overall? Scouts obviously watched both closely in the SEL final.
Because NHL readiness is a big concern, especially for a team like New Jersey. New Jersey is in a bit of "win now" mode, and so when presented with a player who could help them do that, they selected him. Brodin won't be ready for real NHL impact for a couple years. He might come over and play next year, but he won't be an impact player until at least the year after. I'm not going to go so far as to say that Brodin is for certain the better player, but it's certainly not unreasonable for someone to think that. It has been widely rumored that if Larsson was not on the board when the Devils picked at 4, Brodin was their selection. Statements from the Wild's management team (when Brodin was available at their pick GMCF announced "and that's why you don't trade up, sometimes they just fall to you") indicate that they considered moving up in the draft to ensure they got Brodin.

I'm sure Larsson will be a solid NHL defender, but his draft position doesn't guarantee that he's superior to any other defender from the 2011 draft.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 02:52 PM
Alf Silfversson

vCash: 50
In order of career impact:

1. Karlsson: too much offensive potential
2. OEL: Will be the most rounded and is basically a 1A on this list.
3. Larsson: The best defensively and a huge minute eater
4. Hedman: Same traits as Larsson, just a small step below
5. Rundblad: Game will not translate perfectly to the NHL, but he'll be a top 20 D-Man in the league at some point.
6. Erixon: Balanced game; he'll be one of the best second pairing guys in the league or a slightly below average top-pairing guy.

Alf Silfversson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 02:58 PM
ayoshi

Alexander Edler

ayoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 03:08 PM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Because NHL readiness is a big concern, especially for a team like New Jersey. New Jersey is in a bit of "win now" mode, and so when presented with a player who could help them do that, they selected him. Brodin won't be ready for real NHL impact for a couple years. He might come over and play next year, but he won't be an impact player until at least the year after. I'm not going to go so far as to say that Brodin is for certain the better player, but it's certainly not unreasonable for someone to think that. It has been widely rumored that if Larsson was not on the board when the Devils picked at 4, Brodin was their selection. Statements from the Wild's management team (when Brodin was available at their pick GMCF announced "and that's why you don't trade up, sometimes they just fall to you") indicate that they considered moving up in the draft to ensure they got Brodin.

I'm sure Larsson will be a solid NHL defender, but his draft position doesn't guarantee that he's superior to any other defender from the 2011 draft.
This, Larsson was IMO most NHL-ready prospect and was considered as an 1 overall pick at the beginning of the season, Brodin won't play NHL for 1-2years. If i had to choose from these 2 and both of them has reached their potential i would take Larsson. brodin has so many Attributes at elite level already, Larsson is IMO very good or good at everything except skating, elite physicality. Brodin is elite at skating, his vision is elite, puck moving ability(it's faster and passes are better quality than Larsson's ), very very smart IMO elite, Defensively he is spotless. He needs to bulk up a bit, and prove that he can contribute at offensive zone, Decision making is at Elite level. He has more bad attributes than Larsson, they are only phsycality and shot which are very easy to develope, Larsson's weakness is only skating which is ok. I doubt that Larsson ever reaches Brodin at where Brodin is elite ATM. Last season i thought that Granlund was better than some players ranked in top 5 and they thought that i was crazy. You can't undervalue pure hockey IQ & smartness. But yeah time will tell who will be the best of these young defensemen.

Old
08-15-2011, 03:08 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:

Wrong, Larsson was the top player in the entire draft on New Jersey's board. They, like most others had Huberdeau, Landeskog and Hopkins, in no specific order, right after larsson in a tier above all others.

I have never seen Brodin play but I think it's fairly comical some are trying to say Brodin is at Larsson's level or better. I will be sure to watch him dominate the WJC and SEL this season if that's the case.

Also, I feel its comical that many don't expect Larsson to improve any of his strength's or weaknesses. Everything New Jersey touches instantly becomes overrated, I would hate to imagine the press had Edmonton drafted Larsson.

Last edited by Jason MacIsaac: 08-15-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 03:15 PM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
Wrong, Larsson was the top player in the entire draft on New Jersey's board. They, like most others had Huberdeau, Landeskog and Hopkins, in no specific order, right after larsson in a tier above all others.

I have never seen Brodin play but I think it's fairly comical some are trying to say Brodin is at Larsson's level or better. I will be sure to watch him dominate the WJC and SEL this season if that's the case.
This kid won SEL title, shutting down Skellefteå's star players, and their team was STACKED. he was 17year old. Is he youngest ever player to win SEL championship playing whole season?(question to swedes) i think he's quite high in that chart.

Old
08-15-2011, 03:23 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
This kid won SEL title, shutting down Skellefteå's star players, and their team was STACKED. he was 17year old. Is he youngest ever player to win SEL championship playing whole season?(question to swedes) i think he's quite high in that chart.
That was last year, we can't rest on those accomplishments. This hockey sense, passing and skating at an "elite level" nothing short of 25+ points will be a disappointment.

Old
08-15-2011, 03:27 PM
thomast

Quote:
That was last year, we can't rest on those accomplishments. This hockey sense, passing and skating at an "elite level" nothing short of 25+ points will be a disappointment.
If he plays PP, i agree with you.

Old
08-15-2011, 03:29 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:

Also, I feel its comical that many don't expect Larsson to improve any of his strength's or weaknesses. Everything New Jersey touches instantly becomes overrated, I would hate to imagine the press had Edmonton drafted Larsson.
I didn't realize they let preteens onto the internet this early in the day.

The word "wrong" implies that something stated previously is incorrect. It is then implied that the following explanation will address that which might have been incorrect. Instead, you followed up "wrong" with a sentence which did not contradict the quoted post at all.

Did you have a copy of New Jersey's draft board? Were you sitting at the table with them when they were making their selection? I didn't think so. It has been reported by a couple reliable sources that, had Edmonton selected Larsson, New Jersey would select Brodin. Reports have stated this, that is a fact, and it is not wrong, regardless of how much you disagree with the reports.

Furthermore, few people commented on Larsson's ability to improve his weaknesses. What has been said is that the advantages he holds over Brodin are in areas that can be improved. Larsson is a lower risk prospect because he's closer to NHL ready. That's why he was selected fourth. Brodin has a lot further to go to get in the NHL. He needs to bulk up, he needs to add a little physicality to his game, and he needs to be more eager to shoot the puck.

The WJC will be an interesting matter. Judging from your comments about Brodin, I'm going to guess you didn't pay attention to the evaluation camp this past week. Adam Larsson wasn't there, so don't get too excited when you read Johan Larsson's stat line.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 03:48 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Quote:
I didn't realize they let preteens onto the internet this early in the day.
Damn, that means I must have been 4 years old when I joined these boards in 1999 Jr. Judging by your avatar and phrase, I would guess you are the one in your teens. Tis funz ta talk liek meron

Quote:
Did you have a copy of New Jersey's draft board? Were you sitting at the table with them when they were making their selection? I didn't think so. It has been reported by a couple reliable sources that, had Edmonton selected Larsson, New Jersey would select Brodin. Reports have stated this, that is a fact, and it is not wrong, regardless of how much you disagree with the reports.
I would love to see a link of this that excludes fan boy wild fans or beat writers. Currently on a laptop prevents me from finding the Conte quotes that prove your theory wrong.

Quote:
Furthermore, few people commented on Larsson's ability to improve his weaknesses. What has been said is that the advantages he holds over Brodin are in areas that can be improved. Larsson is a lower risk prospect because he's closer to NHL ready. That's why he was selected fourth. Brodin has a lot further to go to get in the NHL. He needs to bulk up, he needs to add a little physicality to his game, and he needs to be more eager to shoot the puck.
People....You love recycling what people say, don't you? I would rather use my eyes instead.

Quote:
The WJC will be an interesting matter. Judging from your comments about Brodin, I'm going to guess you didn't pay attention to the evaluation camp this past week. Adam Larsson wasn't there, so don't get too excited when you read Johan Larsson's stat line.
Why would I get excited for boxscores? Like I said before, I watch prospects then form an opinion. Your what's wrong with these boards, recycling information as if it were first hand. I have no use for people like you.

Last edited by Jason MacIsaac: 08-15-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old
08-15-2011, 03:54 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:

Quote:
People....You love recycling what people say, don't you? I would rather use my eyes instead.
But you don't use your eyes, do you?

I find it comical that you can discount somebody who you have never seen play. How are you in any position to judge his skill level? I mean, I'm not either, but on what basis can you say that he isn't on his level?

Quote:
Like I said before, I watch prospects then form an opinion.
It doesn't seem that you do.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 03:58 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
But you don't use your eyes, do you?

I find it comical that you can discount somebody who you have never seen play. How are you in any position to judge his skill level? I mean, I'm not either, but on what basis can you say that he isn't on his level?
I can't, and I'm wrong to phrase that statement that way. A better way to phrase it would be: Based on the draft, I find it hard to believe at this time Brodin is as good as Larsson.

I never formed an opinion on Brodin yet, however, like I said above. I find it hard to believe he is at Larsson's level overall at the moment based on the draft.

If he is at Larsson's level or better then I suppose every scouting agency and most likely every NHL team's scouting department were out to lunch.

Last edited by Jason MacIsaac: 08-15-2011 at 04:05 PM.