HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Chris Pronger Trade Scenario

Closed Thread

Old
08-10-2004, 01:23 AM
guitaraholic*

vCash: 500
Chris Pronger Trade Scenario

Let's say the Blues decided to move Pronger... Pleau and co. looked at their roster, prospect list, etc. and decided that they needed and could reasonably expect in return the following:

One young (under 24) top 6 forward, ideally a center. One top 3 defensive prospect (23 or under) and a first or second round draft pick.

Would you consider this a reasonable request in exchange for Pronger? If so what combination would your team offer?

thx

Old
08-10-2004, 01:26 AM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

To Florida
Pronger
Keenan loves this guy, he would be great with J-Bo.

to the Blues
Weiss
Krajicek
Horton
1st round pick

Old
08-10-2004, 01:29 AM
guitaraholic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuzzi21
To Florida
Pronger

to the Blues
Weiss
Krajicek
Horton
1st round pick

wow, off to a great start. If I were Pleau... man, I'd consider this very seriously.

Old
08-10-2004, 01:34 AM
salty justice

Id consider Radulov, Gusev, and a 2nd. But, honestly at $10mil he isnt worth it. Lidstrom Id take in a heartbeat at that price, but Pronger...nah.

Old
08-10-2004, 01:34 AM
Snugglepuss

I highly doubt you get what you're asking for in a trade for a guy that costs almost 10 million dollars and is 1 year away from being a free agent.

Old
08-10-2004, 02:20 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

To Boston: Chris Pronger, Colin Hemingway and a 1st

To St. Louis: Joe Thornton

08-10-2004, 02:52 AM
Randall Graves*

Petr Sykora,Ryan Getzlaf,Mark Popovic and a first!

Old
08-10-2004, 03:08 AM
Hockey Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaraholic
wow, off to a great start. If I were Pleau... man, I'd consider this very seriously.
If I was the BLues...I'd BE ALL OVER THAT DEAL!

Old
08-10-2004, 03:08 AM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller
We're trying to cut costs, not add another albatross.

Also, I would never do that deal. Pronger's great, but when you consider all the intangibles, Anaheim eventually would be screwed if they did that.

Old
08-10-2004, 03:12 AM
DutchLeafsfan

Send a message via ICQ to DutchLeafsfan Send a message via MSN to DutchLeafsfan
While Pronger may be worth his money a bit more than some other 9-10 million dollar men, I seriously doubt any player earning that much with the current unresolved CBA situation would bring in the kind of return as mentioned here.

Last edited by DutchLeafsfan: 08-10-2004 at 03:32 AM.
Old
08-10-2004, 03:33 AM
Safir*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuzzi21
To Florida
Pronger

to the Blues
Weiss
Krajicek
Horton
1st round pick
IMO this proposal favors the Blues too much. I think that St.Louis would have to pay some of Chris' salary to balance it out.

Florida has a boatload of young offensive players can eventual balance out the loss of those three youngsters. I would pair CP and J-Bo for some time, let's say 1-2 seasons and after that they are readay to be split up and work on separate pairs. Just like Progs experienced it in STL (he was with McInnis for quite some time.)

I don't think that high of Krajicek, because I simply don't know much about his play, and leave the judgement about him to other posters.

Horton is obviously the center piece of the deal for the Blues and it will give them a true #1 center and a potential franchise player.

Weiss hasn't really proven the props, since beeing drafted but I think that a change of scenery will do wonders for Stephen.

FLA gets a "decorated" NHL franchise defenseman to balance out the defense, while the Blues get their first and second line centers of the future and a potential top4 defenseman.

Old
08-10-2004, 04:43 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Only way a deal could happen is it if was a sign and trade. There is no way that the Blues trade him unless they're getting one AMAZING return (i.e. some of the offers posted above). BUT there is no way that a team makes that kind of an offer unless he's locked up for a a couple years on top of his one year deal.

08-10-2004, 04:43 AM
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller
ha...we can't afford Pronger's salary...

Old
08-10-2004, 06:47 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

There are not a lot of teams that can take on that salary right now unless the Blues pick up a fair chunk of salary, Florida among them, and doing so doesn't really make much sense for St. Louis.

Not coincidentally, those teams most equipped to assemble a package of strong young talent do not have the payroll room to absorb a player as expensive as Pronger. The teams that can pay him are generally stocked with veteran players. So if they traded him, which I think they could manage if they decided to do it, I do not see the return being young assets, but two or three or four veteran assets carrying a bit of contract themselves. I see the $10 million Pronger being traded for three/four players whose contracts add up to $10 million.

Old
08-10-2004, 07:05 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Pronger's $ cost is going to put a dampener on his value.

Its very unlikely a young, cheap teams on the way up like Tampa or Calgary would want him at that price even if he only cost a 9th rnder.

Fiscally responsible teams like the Nucks, Sens, SJ also won't spend that much, because its a huge financial hit and doesn't fit with their salary structure.

I don't see Florida going after that much salary. They'd be better keeping those young, cheap players and chucking the extra $5-7m at UFAs. It would fit better in the long run. No reason for Pronger not to walk out as a UFA in a year or two.

NYR are rebuilding scratching the usual suspect.

The only teams likely to go after Pronger would be RICH and playoff centred:

Avs: they've run out of prospects. Might have cash if Forsberg doesn't return

Dallas: are they already carrying too much deadweight salary?

Philly: Clarke is talking about slowly cutting salary. The still have $15m of salary tied up in JL and TA.

NJ: Very longshot. Lou isn't noted for chasing big salary players. $5m is usually about where he baulk.

============================

Toronto: Possible.
Detroit: Possible.

Old
08-10-2004, 08:54 AM
shadoz19

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2
Pronger's $ cost is going to put a dampener on his value.

Its very unlikely a young, cheap teams on the way up like Tampa or Calgary would want him at that price even if he only cost a 9th rnder.

Fiscally responsible teams like the Nucks, Sens, SJ also won't spend that much, because its a huge financial hit and doesn't fit with their salary structure.

I don't see Florida going after that much salary. They'd be better keeping those young, cheap players and chucking the extra $5-7m at UFAs. It would fit better in the long run. No reason for Pronger not to walk out as a UFA in a year or two.

NYR are rebuilding scratching the usual suspect.

The only teams likely to go after Pronger would be RICH and playoff centred:

Avs: they've run out of prospects. Might have cash if Forsberg doesn't return

Dallas: are they already carrying too much deadweight salary?

Philly: Clarke is talking about slowly cutting salary. The still have $15m of salary tied up in JL and TA.

NJ: Very longshot. Lou isn't noted for chasing big salary players. $5m is usually about where he baulk.

Toronto: Possible.
Detroit: Possible.

Wouldn't make any sense for Detroit with Lidstrom/Hatcher. I doubt Colorado or Detroit could afford to part with the prospects/youth that St. Louis would require to trade Pronger.

Old
08-10-2004, 09:28 AM
coolhandluke2410
"BleedBlue44"

Send a message via AIM to coolhandluke2410 Send a message via Yahoo to coolhandluke2410
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadoz19
Wouldn't make any sense for Detroit with Lidstrom/Hatcher. I doubt Colorado or Detroit could afford to part with the prospects/youth that St. Louis would require to trade Pronger.
it's not like the blues would trade pronger to the wings anyway

Old
08-10-2004, 09:32 AM
shadoz19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue44
it's not like the blues would trade pronger to the wings anyway
Considering they're divsion rivals, not in a million years.

Old
08-10-2004, 09:35 AM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
To Boston: Chris Pronger, Colin Hemingway and a 1st

To St. Louis: Joe Thornton
Not a chance.

Old
08-10-2004, 09:36 AM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by walknucklers
I highly doubt you get what you're asking for in a trade for a guy that costs almost 10 million dollars and is 1 year away from being a free agent.
Pronger will be a RESTRICTED free agent in a year.

Old
08-10-2004, 09:40 AM
shadoz19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stich
Pronger will be a RESTRICTED free agent in a year.
Assuming theres no changes to the CBA on UFA age...

Old
08-10-2004, 09:42 AM
degroat*

That is true.

Old
08-10-2004, 09:44 AM
degroat*

One thing I will add to this is that there were plenty of rumors here in March about quite a few teams contacting the Blues to inquire about Pronger. Philly was the one most talked about, but they certainly weren't the only one.

Old
08-10-2004, 09:50 AM
Egil

Pronger has negligable trade value, IMHO, due to his high salary. A couple teams would take him if he was put on Waivers, but most would pass (and even then, no more than 2-3 teams would consider claiming Pronger). And certainly, unless St. Louis takes a BAAADDDD contract in exchange for Pronger, they won't get a player.

However, by the trade deadline, with 80% of the Salary paid, he would have ALOT of value (similar to what Blake got LA, IMHO). But your not going to get a good, reasonably priced player for Pronger, not in a million years.

Old
08-10-2004, 07:26 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egil
Pronger has negligable trade value, IMHO, due to his high salary. A couple teams would take him if he was put on Waivers, but most would pass (and even then, no more than 2-3 teams would consider claiming Pronger). And certainly, unless St. Louis takes a BAAADDDD contract in exchange for Pronger, they won't get a player.

However, by the trade deadline, with 80% of the Salary paid, he would have ALOT of value (similar to what Blake got LA, IMHO). But your not going to get a good, reasonably priced player for Pronger, not in a million years.
There are maybe two Dmen in the league at Prongers level. These are guys that can dictate the pace and play of the game (Blake and Lidstrom) and he is younger then both - (NOTE: NOT SAYING BETTER, JUST YOUNGER).

Guy plays 30 minutes, is one of the best one on one Dmen in the league, plays w/ an edge, and can shut down other teams top lines. He can carry the D by eating up the minutes. He has been at it for a while but is still very young, he is on the right side of 30.

The addition of Pronger to any team in the league w/ the exception of Detroit and maybe the Sens. will make them into a legit. playoff team. If a team like Florida were to add Pronger, they would challenge TB for the division. A team like Phili or Toronto adds him, well they would be early pick for winning the Cup.

Teams and GMs will make room for him, unless you are someone like the Oilers or Calgary - Capital conserns. Small Market, like Florida would increase the fan base quickly and hold on to it. There is a huge market for players like Pronger, because even though guys like Sutter (young stud D man) have a good chance to be top pairing, they haven't done it in the nhl yet. And they are not close to being considered top 3 in the entire league/world.

Having said that, it would take a lot to get Pronger out of St. Louis for those reasons - may well require overpayment... Every team has a number 1 dman, but that is not the same as No. 1 in the league.

Closed Thread