HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Iginla to Bruins

Old
08-15-2011, 12:38 PM
Beesfan

vCash: 500
Boston is a terrible trading partner for Iginla. Maybe at the deadline, depending on how things unfold, but definitely not right now.

If I were Bruin's GM Peter Chiarelli, I'd only be willing to give up something like the following:

Marchand
Caron
Kelly

That's not to insult Calgary, it's just the only type of deal where Boston can come out equal or the winner. Definitely not trading Seguin or Hamilton at this point, and Lucic and Krejci are just off the table entirely.

Horton could be a hypothetical piece, but why trade a guy who comes at half the price and who just carried you to a Stanley Cup?

Beesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 12:43 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

If it were to happen it would only happen if Calgary concedes they need to do a rebuild.

I'd think they'd want something like Seguin + Hamilton + a first.

If Boston hadn't won the cup this would be more likely.

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 12:49 PM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post
If it were to happen it would only happen if Calgary concedes they need to do a rebuild.

That, & if Iginla were ten years younger.

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 01:14 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

I personally wouldn't want Iginla on the Bruins for the cost it could possibly take. I'd rather keep our core intact and add a forward at the trade deadline if Chia thought it was necessary. I'd certainly never give up a top prospect like Seguin or Hamilton in any deal involving Iginla. I'd rather have Parise for 4 1st's

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 01:18 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
Blue chip prospect + 1st + young nhler.
This is what I was thinking. I also think Boston would be one of the top destinations for Iginla to waive to given the many connections to the team. Calgary would only see him once next season before he would finish out his contract in Boston and re-sign to retire a Flame.

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 01:21 PM
Eennad142

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24 View Post
Just for the record...
If Boston had not just won The Cup, I, as a life-long Bruin fan, would be willing to give up something like:
1. Seguin
2. 2012 1st
3. One of: Caron or Spooner or Knight
at the 2012 TDL for Iginla. BUT Boston just won The Cup and they are returning almost the exact same team. They lost two top-9 wings and their #6 defenseman. That's it. This team and this management group have built a great young team and they should be making Cup runs the next 10 years. I see no reason to doubt this group after what they just pulled off.
If any Boston GM made that deal, they would be run out of town before the next sunrise. Seguin was drafted as the future face of the Boston organization, and that is the way it will remain for the foreseeable future. As far as I know, Boston has never acquired the obligation of seeing to it that Iginla has a chance to win a Cup, and Iginla, by himself, could not guarantee that end result. The add-ons just makes it go from bad to worse.

Eennad142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 01:29 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

I'd love to have Iginla and all, but he just isn't worth what Calgary/their fans would want. He is getting up there in age and there is going to come a point in the near future when he starts becoming less effective. And then factoring in the huge cap hit... yeah no thanks.

Unless Caron + 1st + some other pick/Hamil would get it done (real life trade deadline, not HF poster's dream worlds). That's about the only way I'd be happy with a trade sending Iggy to Boston.

PatriceBergeronFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 01:32 PM
MoeLemay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post

This is Boston not Toronto.

MoeLemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 02:01 PM
Dougie Seguin
2011 Cup Champs

I dont think Boston would want to trade for Iginla. Trading for him would just be trading away our youth for someone we dont need. We just won the Cup with this team and we can only improve with Seguin and Hamilton developing, and other young prospects coming up. I just dont think that trading for Iginla would be necessary

Dougie Seguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 02:03 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
[/b]

Why?

Lupul - Conolly - Kessel

Kulemin - Grabovski - Iginla

Kadri - Lombardi - MacArthur

Frattin - Bozak - Armstrong
Even without a big name C down the middle that's still a playoff team coupled with the leafs D. It's a no brainer even if it means giving up prospects. It's exactly the type of trade the fans have been dieing for, something that puts them into contention or at least a playoff spot for the next forseeable future.

That having been said Reimer would be the only real question mark but if he lives up to the hype they'd be golden. Of course TO does this move. It doesn't include Schenn.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 02:06 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Regardless of the return, if Iginla is traded, I very much doubt you'll see him on another Canadian team or in the same conference.

I'd say the Flames started to draft better in 2007 with Backlund. I think we really improved in 2009 when we drafted Erixon, who is going to be the steal of that draft. Doesn't matter if he wanted to go to NY, he was still drafted by the Flames, and he would have made the team if he stayed.

Some late picks like Reinhart and Brodie look like solid picks as well.

I really hate the direction all of these threads seem to go in.
Where's the logic there? Toronto and Montreal wouldn't attempt to land him or the GM wouldn't send him there? Either way at least two Canadian NHL teams would obviously be interested. I doubt Ottawa would be and I'm sure Winnipeg and Vancouver would consider it but given that they are out west would not be dealt there.

Still I see no logical reason why Toronto or Montreal wouldn't be options both for flames GM and for Iginla. He puts Montreal over the top and he puts Toronto into a playoff spot, furthermore both these teams have the workable cap room to make it happen and are not Western teams.

Old
08-15-2011, 02:08 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
Inaccurate. Calgary was awful at drafting for years, but they've done reasonably well since the lockout. Irving might not have been the best choice in 06, but given where they drafted, Backlund, Erixon, and Baerstchi are all good picks (Nemisz, well, we'll see). The other prospects are too young to tell for the most part, but at the very least Brodie and Reinhart look to be excellent value for their draft positions.
Calgary has been below average at best since the lockout. Its takes more than getting NHL regulars in the first round to be considered a good drafting team in my eyes. Sorry, but for all of the things Calgary has done well in the recent past, drafting is certainly not one of them. Backlund looks to be a good pickup, if he continues to develop. Erixon, well, we'll have to see if he becomes an NHL'er (unfortunately it won't be with the Flames), and Baertschi is too early to tell. Personally I think Calgary dropped the ball by not picking Mark Macneil (big future number one center), but time will tell. The fact that Calgary has no blue chip prospects in their system (the closest being Backlund) shows that they certainly have not drafted good, or even average.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 02:10 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Calgary has been below average at best since the lockout. Its takes more than getting NHL regulars in the first round to be considered a good drafting team in my eyes. Sorry, but for all of the things Calgary has done well in the recent past, drafting is certainly not one of them. Backlund looks to be a good pickup, if he continues to develop. Erixon, well, we'll have to see if he becomes an NHL'er (unfortunately it won't be with the Flames), and Baertschi is too early to tell. Personally I think Calgary dropped the ball by not picking Mark Macneil (big future number one center), but time will tell. The fact that Calgary has no blue chip prospects in their system (the closest being Backlund) shows that they certainly have not drafted good, or even average.
And it isn't like they have newly graduated guys filling up their roster either so really no real excuse in sight.

Not trying to be mean to Calgary and their fans I just think they're now ending up where the leafs were a few years back clinging onto any UFA to stay afloat while failing to do so.

I don't see CGY making the playoffs this year and with the UFA crop next year don't see them making the playoffs then either. I would still wait until deadline to amp up the value of players and make some solid moves but I'd definitely be in rebuild mode. Whether that rebuild is dealing a bunch of roster players for picks and prospects or just letting them walk and delaying the innevidable I really don't care, personally for the western team I grew to love growing up I think it sucks though. I'd be pretty pessimistic if they were my team. I think they should do the legit rebuild though and see what their management team can pull off with some high picks over the course of the next few seasons rather than bubble busting.

Old
08-15-2011, 02:18 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
And it isn't like they have newly graduated guys filling up their roster either so really no real excuse in sight.

Not trying to be mean to Calgary and their fans I just think they're now ending up where the leafs were a few years back clinging onto any UFA to stay afloat while failing to do so.

I don't see CGY making the playoffs this year and with the UFA crop next year don't see them making the playoffs then either. I would still wait until deadline to amp up the value of players and make some solid moves but I'd definitely be in rebuild mode. Whether that rebuild is dealing a bunch of roster players for picks and prospects or just letting them walk and delaying the innevidable I really don't care, personally for the western team I grew to love growing up I think it sucks though. I'd be pretty pessimistic if they were my team. I think they should do the legit rebuild though and see what their management team can pull off with some high picks over the course of the next few seasons rather than bubble busting.
I agree, and I'm not exactly trying to hate on Calgary either. I'm an Oiler fan, but I don't hate the Flames like I do other teams, I'd like to see both Alberta teams become good again at the same time, like the 80's. But until the Flames start drafting good, or move some veterans for some top end prospects, the Flames will just hang around where they are now until the vets all retire and they hit the bottom.

Old
08-15-2011, 02:30 PM
Kid Canesten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich0591 View Post
In that case Detroit should rebuild. You seem to forget how much more competitive we became after Sutter left and we were pretty close to a playoff spot. With that momentum Feaster decided to re-tool our team. This year's draft was the best we had in a while. Regehr leaving gave us cap space and a younger top 4 dman in Butler (hey, that's what Buffalo tells us what he is, we aren't overrating).
while calgary went on an impressive run, im thinking it has more so to do with momentum of change as opposed to being a consistant playoff threat. and as for detorit having to re-tool, thats not the case because their top players are better than calgary's. a core for this upcoming season of zetterberg, datsyuk, lidstrom, franzen and howard is much better than one of iginla, bourque, bouwmeester, tanguay and kiprusoff.

while you are right, and calgary had a solid draft this year (im a huge bartschi fan), detroit has a much deeper and more talented prospect pool than calgary's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dion View Post
Yes, elaboration: 23 million in cap space next year with Moss, Jokinen and Jackman being the only guys we might want to resign. The only bad contracts left will be Bouwmeester (who I can live with) and Stajan.
as i had said in an earlier post, while cap space is fine and dandy, without the players to fill it, you're left in a precarious position. young talent is locked up early and dont see free agency until later in their careers. that 23 million in cap space is going to go to who?

if it went to the ryan suter's and zach parise's, then imo, its money well spent. but the chances of those players coming to calgary is slim especially with nashville and new jersey gunning hard to keep their services in their respective cities. then who do you sign? semin? doan? hemsky? and if they dont sign, then do you pull a florida and sign 2nd and 3rd tier free agents. my point is that free agency has drastically changed where teams can put the finishing touches on their teams but they cant build from free agency.

no doubt calgary will be in a good position with all that cap space, but you have to remember a couple of things:
a) the best talent available usually won't make it to free agency
b) its harder to build through free agency because of cap restrictions
c) what if free agents spurn calgary and
d) calgary isnt the only team with a bunch of cap next offseason looking for a huge signing (i.e. toronto)

Kid Canesten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 03:16 PM
Johnny Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeLemay View Post
This is Boston not Toronto.

This.

Iginla Is by far my favorite player. And I wouldn't expect even two of those peices for him.

First isn't enough.
Hamilton is about fair I might want a 2nd with him.
Seguin straight up.

All three is way to much IMO.

Johnny Hockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 03:17 PM
Walkenthewalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beesfan View Post
Boston is a terrible trading partner for Iginla. Maybe at the deadline, depending on how things unfold, but definitely not right now.

If I were Bruin's GM Peter Chiarelli, I'd only be willing to give up something like the following:

Marchand
Caron
Kelly

That's not to insult Calgary, it's just the only type of deal where Boston can come out equal or the winner. Definitely not trading Seguin or Hamilton at this point, and Lucic and Krejci are just off the table entirely.

Horton could be a hypothetical piece, but why trade a guy who comes at half the price and who just carried you to a Stanley Cup?
Almost exactly what I was going to suggest..

Marchand
Caron
2012 1st

Skeptical that Calgary would consider that but it's palatable to me coming off the Cup victory.

Walkenthewalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 03:25 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
That's quite a list of options you have there, I'm glad you're not pulling towards one direction.

How about re-tool, continue to draft well, and pick up some solid free agents during the 2012 off-season, or make some quality trades?

You know, completely skip all the crap the Flames fans went through from 1996-2003, and instead of wasting that time, do what is necessarily to create a successful team?
To continue to draft well would imply the flames have drafted well recently. But they haven't.

It has nothing to do with being a full blown rebuild and how they almost always fail anyways...it has to do with the realization that they are NOT winning a cup before Iginlas contract expires and the smart thing would be to trade him for assets before we walks for nothing in a couple of seasons.

Also, what are the assets the flames are going to use to make these trades you speak of?

The flames are probably the worst run franchise in the NHL in the past 3 or so years, but they have a chance to turn things around. Instead they're moving out players in moves that are nothing but cost cutting moves and playing the old pipe dream game and offering massive money to guys like Brad Richards, who probably never considered signing with the flames for even a nanosecond.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 03:33 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
To continue to draft well would imply the flames have drafted well recently. But they haven't.

It has nothing to do with being a full blown rebuild and how they almost always fail anyways...it has to do with the realization that they are NOT winning a cup before Iginlas contract expires and the smart thing would be to trade him for assets before we walks for nothing in a couple of seasons.

Also, what are the assets the flames are going to use to make these trades you speak of?

The flames are probably the worst run franchise in the NHL in the past 3 or so years, but they have a chance to turn things around. Instead they're moving out players in moves that are nothing but cost cutting moves and playing the old pipe dream game and offering massive money to guys like Brad Richards, who probably never considered signing with the flames for even a nanosecond.
Pffft. I'm sorry but how do you know this?

No one here can say **** about Bartschi, Reinhart, Holland, Howse, Brodie, all these players look good for the position they were taken at, but none have had the chance to prove themselves at the NHL level. So until the recent picks get that opportunity, to pass judgement on Calgary's recent picks is highly ignorant.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 04:09 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
Pffft. I'm sorry but how do you know this?

No one here can say **** about Bartschi, Reinhart, Holland, Howse, Brodie, all these players look good for the position they were taken at, but none have had the chance to prove themselves at the NHL level. So until the recent picks get that opportunity, to pass judgement on Calgary's recent picks is highly ignorant.
I'm sorry, but this is a total bs response. You can say that any player taken in the last draft hasn't proven themselves, which would be true, but that doesn't make Calgary's previous draft history look any better. And honestly, if so many of Calgary's "top prospects" haven't had a chance at the NHL level, doesn't that say something about the quality of those prospects? If you look at Calgary's prospect pool VS every team in the league, I am guessing you will find them in the bottom third. Possibly bottom five. That's enough evidence in itself as to the ineptitude of the Flames drafting and development systems. There is no way to sugar coat that.

Old
08-15-2011, 04:22 PM
Ashasx

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post

I made a post before explaining how we've been drafting much better since 2007. Look for it.

To add on to that, the Flames have made many scouting/development changes over the last 2 years. I've said this dozens of times, and I imagine people are getting annoyed of me saying it. THN even graded the Flames' last draft an "A".

Our current prospect pool is certainly bad, but it's getting better, thanks to improved drafting.

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 04:25 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
I'm sorry, but this is a total bs response. You can say that any player taken in the last draft hasn't proven themselves, which would be true, but that doesn't make Calgary's previous draft history look any better. And honestly, if so many of Calgary's "top prospects" haven't had a chance at the NHL level, doesn't that say something about the quality of those prospects? If you look at Calgary's prospect pool VS every team in the league, I am guessing you will find them in the bottom third. Possibly bottom five. That's enough evidence in itself as to the ineptitude of the Flames drafting and development systems. There is no way to sugar coat that.
You are still a fan of a team who has been by far the worst product put on the ice outside of the NYI. Maybe the rebuild will work, but it probably won't. At least CGY has a shot at the post this season, and as a flames fan that makes me excited.

Being excited for how good your team might be in 2-3 years time is hilarious. HFboards at its best.

Our drafting has been poor, all the other poster was saying is that it looks to have rebounded in the last few years. Nobody can tell for sure, just like EDM fans don't have a clue about what their team is going to be capable of in 2-3 years.

Have fun in the stink of the cellar, you should be used to it by now.

EDIT: This thread has clearly run its course /

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 04:28 PM
blankall

Flames fan here.

I'll take Marchand straight up. But only if he promises to punch both Sedins in the face 12 times each per game. We might become a horrible franchise, but man will those 6 games be entertaining.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 04:29 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
I made a post before explaining how we've been drafting much better since 2007. Look for it.
LoL, no thanks.

Since 2007 the Flames haven't done anything overly impressive at all. Are they better than they were before? Sure, why not...doesn't mean they're good though now does it?

Looking at their draft picks games played since 2007 makes me feel bad for Flames fans.

What exactly have they done that is so impressive? Trading Erixon for 2 2nd round picks?

Not having a top 60 pick in 2010?

Seriously, spare me your "look for it" malarkie and look at the numbers.

Am I supposed to compliment the Flames for drafting Bartschi with thier 1st round pick this year?

The flames have NOT drafted well recently, maybe they drafted better recently then tehy had been before, but again those are two entirely different things.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 04:31 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
You are still a fan of a team who has been by far the worst product put on the ice outside of the NYI. Maybe the rebuild will work, but it probably won't. At least CGY has a shot at the post this season, and as a flames fan that makes me excited.

Being excited for how good your team might be in 2-3 years time is hilarious. HFboards at its best.

Our drafting has been poor, all the other poster was saying is that it looks to have rebounded in the last few years. Nobody can tell for sure, just like EDM fans don't have a clue about what their team is going to be capable of in 2-3 years.

Have fun in the stink of the cellar, you should be used to it by now.

EDIT: This thread has clearly run its course /
Nice. No defense for the discussion at hand, so you attack a team that isn't even involved in the thread. As long as it helps you feel better about missing the playoffs by a few points again.