HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs Sign defenceman Jeff Woywitka (1 year/2-way)

Old
08-15-2011, 02:01 PM
Carey Chant

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post

Can Woywitka fight? Any YouTube videos out there?

There's a couple and he gets his @$$ handed to him. He will make all Bruins fans very happy.

Carey Chant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 02:01 PM
Crimson Skorpion

Awards:
Quote:

Impressive fight card of 0-9-3.

A fight between him and Kostopoulos would end up in both of them falling flat on their face, trying to throw a punch at the same time and missing horribly.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 02:04 PM
shamrun

Quote:

shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:

There you go...the inevitable question on the Habs board.

"Can he fight?"

Who cares, he wasn't signed to fight...he was signed to provide depth in case of injuries. Furthermore, the reason the Habs probably targeted Woywitka is because assistant GM, Larry Carrière, who used to work for the Blues, probably saw him play quite a bit when he was part of that organization.

This is a pretty standard move, dont understand why people are looking way deep into it???

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 02:14 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post

"Can he fight?"

Who cares, he wasn't signed to fight...he was signed to provide depth in case of injuries. Furthermore, the reason the Habs probably targeted Woywitka is because assistant GM, Larry Carrière, who used to work for the Blues, probably saw him play quite a bit when he was part of that organization.

This is a pretty standard move, dont understand why people are looking way deep into it???
It's been a quiet month for the bashers. In fact an overwhelming majority of them haven't posted much until today. I guess they're taking any opportunity they can get.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 02:16 PM
habitue*

I don't understand Gauthier's plan for his defensive corp...

Next year, the team will possibly (99.9%) loose Gill and Spacek and also (75%) Gorges.

They have refused to give a two-year contract to Hamrlik, the most reliable left handed d-man in the last two seasons with Markov out with injuries...

Outside Markov & Subban, we will have any d-man with REAL top-four d-men with NHL experience. Weber got few games but Yemelin and Diaz have none at all.

Tinordi and Beaulieu are two to four years away from NHL play.

A guy like O'Brien or Hannan would had been great on a third pairing + adding some physical presence.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 02:21 PM
Ub the Bub

I think I can speak for all Stars fans when I say; I would just like to thank you all for taking this train wreck off our hands...

Ub the Bub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 02:22 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ub the Bub View Post
I think I can speak for all Stars fans when I say; I would just like to thank you all for taking this train wreck off our hands...
He was ufa, he was never on your hands to begin with.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 02:23 PM
Stawks
Hockey Bird

Wouldn't be the first time a player turned his career around in a new city...

Well, maybe the first time in Montreal...

Stawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 02:24 PM
Ub the Bub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
He was ufa, he was never on your hands to begin with.
True, but we were seriously worried we might resign him...

Ub the Bub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 02:29 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Impressive fight card of 0-9-3.

A fight between him and Kostopoulos would end up in both of them falling flat on their face, trying to throw a punch at the same time and missing horribly.
you notice that seems to be the prerequisite for HAb Managment-

larek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larek View Post
you notice that seems to be the prerequisite for HAb Managment-
This might be a stab in the dark here...but I don't think the purpose of signing Jeff Woywitka, was for him to serve as the team's enforcer.

Man, what is it you guys don't get? He's A DEPTH DEFENSMAN....if things go well, he's unlikely to see any time with the Habs this year. He's simply an insurance policy in case (and there always is) there are any injuries on the backend this year.

Do you guys not recall the Habs to to play Brendan Nash for 3 games in an emergency situation last year because of injuries? No offense to Nash, who is a decent prospect...but he had no business playing in the NHL last year. He was severely overmatched in the 3 games he played, which isn't all that surprising considering he was an undrafted NCAA dman who was just starting his 1st pro season.

I get what Gauthier is trying to do with guys like Mitera and Woywitka...just guys he can stash in the AHL and use as callups with NHL experience in case things go bad injury wise. Why is this so difficult to understand?

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 02:35 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
I don't understand Gauthier's plan for his defensive corp...

Next year, the team will possibly (99.9%) loose Gill and Spacek and also (75%) Gorges.

They have refused to give a two-year contract to Hamrlik, the most reliable left handed d-man in the last two seasons with Markov out with injuries...

Outside Markov & Subban, we will have any d-man with REAL top-four d-men with NHL experience. Weber got few games but Yemelin and Diaz have none at all.

Tinordi and Beaulieu are two to four years away from NHL play.

A guy like O'Brien or Hannan would had been great on a third pairing + adding some physical presence.
Talk about blowing the Gorges situation out of proportion, and that's an understatement.

Quote:
This might be a stab in the dark here...but I don't think the purpose of signing Jeff Woywitka, was for him to serve as the team's enforcer.

Man, what is it you guys don't get? He's A DEPTH DEFENSMAN....if things go well, he's unlikely to see any time with the Habs this year. He's simply an insurance policy in case (and there always is) there are any injuries on the backend this year.

Do you guys not recall the Habs to to play Brendan Nash for 3 games in an emergency situation last year because of injuries? No offense to Nash, who is a decent prospect...but he had no business playing in the NHL last year. He was severely overmatched in the 3 games he played, which isn't all that surprising considering he was an undrafted NCAA dman who was just starting his 1st pro season.

I get what Gauthier is trying to do with guys like Mitera and Woywitka...just guys he can stash in the AHL and use as callups with NHL experience in case things go bad injury wise. Why is this so difficult to understand?
Because common sense sadly isn't common at all and expecting people to understand common sense type stuff is an unacceptable assumption

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 02:36 PM
De Montreal
help

If this mean the end of Gorges, I'll be pissed. I think he used to be a captain somewhere in his junior days, good leadership like that will be missed.

De Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 02:53 PM
habs_24x

Woywitka is a good depth move. Hes big and can play. i wouldnt be surprised if he stole 6th or 7th d-man this year.

habs_24x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 03:07 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown View Post
Last year was his first full season since his junior year at Michigan. Injuries have hampered his development, but he's still not a bust.
No, Mitera has had 2 full seasons since turning pro. Mitera got injured in his Senior year, came back at the end and went to the AHL after he was done at Michigan. Then his first year in the AHL, from what I'm told it didn't go so well, then he was sent to the ECHL. This past season he was in the AHL full time and heard he did much better.

So he's had 2 full seasons as a pro. What's funny is that since he turned pro, he's played for 5 different AHL/ECHL teams (Rochester, Abbottsford, San Antonio, and Iowa of the AHL and Bakersfield of the ECHL)

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 03:53 PM
capebretoncanadien

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
http://habshq.com/2011/08/15/welcome-jeff-woywitka/

Scouts and ex-coaches report on him.
Gotta give this props!!

This is great stuff any chance we see similar posts on our other more recent acquisitions?

capebretoncanadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 03:59 PM
24stanleycups*
24-6=18,goodluck lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
If this mean the end of Gorges, I'll be pissed. I think he used to be a captain somewhere in his junior days, good leadership like that will be missed.
Captained the kelowna rockets to the memorial championship.

24stanleycups* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 04:02 PM
RushDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Tony Marinaro's twitter:

''If you haven't seen Woywitka play he has one weakness. Defence''
Same thing he said about Streit when he declared the guy wasn't NHL material then lamented the fact we let "him go for nothing" because he was so valuable. I was unsure of this signing right up until reading this tweet.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 04:35 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Talk about blowing the Gorges situation out of proportion, and that's an understatement.

Because common sense sadly isn't common at all and expecting people to understand common sense type stuff is an unacceptable assumption
I have no idea where people come up with some of the stuff they say, why is it 75% sure that Gorges leaves after next season? The habs gave him a fair 1 year deal and I'm sure told him to go out and prove he's worth a long term extension. He loves the city and the team, I bet he signs long term next February.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 04:38 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Jeff Woywitcup is all I have to say.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 05:32 PM
RaMMuT
Tank Nation 2012

alot of people are over reacting here

its a 1 year 2 way contract...CHILLAX DUDES

RaMMuT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 05:34 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:

"Can he fight?"

Based on the earlier posts, he cant skate, he cant score and he is a defenseman who sucks at defense?

Cant us Habs fans at least try to see if there is something that he can do to have earned a contract from Gauthier?

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 05:55 PM
xposbrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
How is Woywitka an improvement over Sopel or Mara? Both of which said they'd have considered a 2 way contract.
It's always fun to see a new name with the Habs but let's be honest here, I don't see how he's a better option then a proven NHLer that we had a choice over. I know he's going to be a depth guy for the Dogs but we could have had a better fill in with the 2 aforementioned players.
They aren't, Mara was fine. He could clear the net, finally showed he could scrap, hit hard, not a bad skater, and he has a very decent shot. Woywitka is not an upgrade over Mara.

xposbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 06:04 PM
Forsead

Woywitka has clearly the same problem that a guy like Jay Leach has...He is a big fringe defenseman, but that doesn't play physical at all for a guy of his size. If these two guy had around 1,5 hits a game, cleared the front of the net, winning battles in corners and fighting around 4-5 times a years while being the same in others areas of their game, they would be NHL regulars for something like 5-6 seasons. They just need to add this to their game and perhaps it will happen with the habs, if not anyway he is a capable 7th dman and an excellent AHL guy.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote