Notices

ctr ice logo

Old
08-12-2011, 10:34 PM
JetStar9er
Go Jets Go!

vCash: 500
ctr ice logo

would it be too much or overboard for TNSE to have the centre ice logo actually pointing "true north"? Is there an NHL rule against it with TV in mind? I remember 2 small jets logos facing the ends, similar to what once was on the ice in Montreal.

Just a thought. It would make for a neat story to new visitors.

They could do the same at the Ice Plex.

Last edited by JetStar9er: 08-12-2011 at 10:37 PM. Reason: added a sentence
JetStar9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 10:41 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Why?
I suppose it'd be neat but it's very unncessary. I'd rather have it look good on TV. Yeah the more I think about it the less I like it hahaha.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 10:45 PM
JetStar9er
Go Jets Go!

i realize it would be unnecessary but would be a neat wpg tradition, even on tv. i know they wont, just an idea.

Old
08-12-2011, 10:48 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Would be cool if it was pointing north

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 10:57 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

Just for those who aren't sure which way it would be pointing it would have the nose of the Jet facing the Labatt lounge. Or towards the right of the TV screen.

Old
08-12-2011, 11:04 PM
JetStar9er
Go Jets Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
Just for those who aren't sure which way it would be pointing it would have the nose of the Jet facing the Labatt lounge. Or towards the right of the TV screen.

ha ha, if you thought people truely didn't know which direction north was, then all the more reason.

Ive identified that it wont be facing the main TV camera, if it did, then what would be the sense? The idea again, was to have the compass in the logo to face "true north". Yes, when watching on TV, it would look odd, but again, thats the "neat" aspect of it. At the same time, there will be so much stuff to be excited about I can't see a "crooked" logo not looking cool on TV being a real concern. Just think it would be neat.

Last edited by JetStar9er: 08-12-2011 at 11:10 PM. Reason: added a comment
Old
08-12-2011, 11:14 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetStar9er View Post
ha ha, if you thought people truely didn't know which direction north was, then all the more reason.
All the more reason to inform people which way north is? We'll have to agree to disagree I think. I'll refrain from making negative comments, and leave it at personally I think it's kind of a corny idea.

Not to mention with north changing all the time it'd be a pain to adjust it on a year to year or month to month basis

Last edited by wpgsilver: 08-13-2011 at 03:27 AM.
Old
08-12-2011, 11:18 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet/Moose Fan

vCash: 525
I like the idea. On TV it would look like the plane is flying from left to right.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 11:19 PM
JetStar9er
Go Jets Go!

don't disagree, it would be a bit corny, but interesting. stretching it on the true north reference. A degree or so of movement could be overlooked. either way, just a thought. Thanks for the discussion.

Last edited by JetStar9er: 08-12-2011 at 11:20 PM. Reason: added thought
Old
08-12-2011, 11:21 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Just be patient kids

Anyone see the Jets logo on the Free Press sheet at the Iceplex? The red line cutting right thru the middle of the logo sure makes the figher Jet hard to make out. Is it only me, or does anyone else think that? Might be better to have two smaller logos, one on each side of the red line.

AndersUlfBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 11:22 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersUlfBobby View Post
Anyone see the Jets logo on the Free Press sheet at the Iceplex? The red line cutting right thru the middle of the logo sure makes the figher Jet hard to make out. Is it only me, or does anyone else think that?
I noticed that too.

Old
08-12-2011, 11:24 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
Not to mention with TRUE north changing all the time it'd be a pain to adjust it on a year to year or month to month basis
True north never changes. The MTS Center's position relative to the north pole is always going to be the same, barring a major geologic event. The magnetic declination used to convert magnetic north to true north might change, but true north itself is determined by positioning on the planet. The north pole doesn't actually move, though the ice on top of it might (know that happens at the south pole), and Winnipeg doesn't move.

Unless you're making some reference I as an outside fan wouldn't get?

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 11:24 PM
JetStar9er
Go Jets Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersUlfBobby View Post
Anyone see the Jets logo on the Free Press sheet at the Iceplex? The red line cutting right thru the middle of the logo sure makes the figher Jet hard to make out. Is it only me, or does anyone else think that? Might be better to have two smaller logos, one on each side of the red line.

yup, I also agree. with a little snow on it, and from a distance, its hard to pick up on the contrast in colours. Pretty much just looks like a maple leaf in a circle, or the actual RCAF logo.

Old
08-12-2011, 11:31 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
True north never changes. The MTS Center's position relative to the north pole is always going to be the same, barring a major geologic event. The magnetic declination used to convert magnetic north to true north might change, but true north itself is determined by positioning on the planet. The north pole doesn't actually move, though the ice on top of it might (know that happens at the south pole), and Winnipeg doesn't move.

You're right, magnetic north is the one that moves from year to year. True north is the direction along the earth towards GEOGRAPHIC north. Just threw that line in there as a joke.

Old
08-12-2011, 11:34 PM
JetStar9er
Go Jets Go!

heres a pic from last night. The red line through it also seals off the compass, it gets lost, you can't even see the notch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG‎ (54.4 KB, 192 views)

Last edited by JetStar9er: 08-12-2011 at 11:36 PM. Reason: added info
Old
08-13-2011, 12:40 AM
broinwhyteridge

vCash: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 01:03 AM
DeathToAllButMetal
Let it all burn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetStar9er View Post
yup, I also agree. with a little snow on it, and from a distance, its hard to pick up on the contrast in colours. Pretty much just looks like a maple leaf in a circle, or the actual RCAF logo.
Another reason not to like the proportions in the roundel. I love the idea of the logo, but as I said when it was released, it needs tweaking. The maple leaf and jet need to be a lot bigger, popping out of the roundel. Hard to believe nobody though to place the logo at centre ice on a mockup. This really doesn't look right.

DeathToAllButMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 10:10 AM
jamwires

looks alright to me... It's not that big of a deal. Aren't there variations of the red line that aren't completely solid as well? We could also use the workmark, or the secondary if it's really a problem, but I don't think it's that big a deal. I think in the MTS Centre, the redline will be less defined within the logo.

With the 90's logo, the red line may have caused a problem too, with the 400 letters that were crammed into that design.

jamwires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 10:18 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 375
Kinda neat sure...
But it is impossible to have happen.

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 10:56 AM
tacogeoff

vCash: 460
Looks good to me on the ice....no complaints. If I wanted to be picky I would also say the centre line cuts out a bit of the logo...but in the grand scheme of things Im gonna be there to watch a game and this will not bother me one bit.

tacogeoff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 11:54 AM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

I have no problem with the red line going through the logo at center ice.

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 12:27 PM
jamwires

And just for the record, we could all be reading about Phx in the Business of Hockey threads... boy am I glad I dont have to follow that anymore!

But there's a group of Winnipeggers that are complaining about every little thing, and it really seems unappreciative of what we now have. We are lucky as hell. Just my opinion.

jamwires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 01:15 PM
KingSalamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamwires View Post
And just for the record, we could all be reading about Phx in the Business of Hockey threads... boy am I glad I dont have to follow that anymore!

But there's a group of Winnipeggers that are complaining about every little thing, and it really seems unappreciative of what we now have. We are lucky as hell. Just my opinion.
Damn Straight!

KingSalamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 03:43 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet/Moose Fan

vCash: 525
Just do the two logo style:

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 08:29 PM
JetStar9er
Go Jets Go!

I didnt intend this to be a logo opinion thread. I love the logo and my question was, would it be neat to have the compass of the logo at ctr ice point "true north"?