HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

8K vs. 7K Helmet

Old
08-17-2011, 01:51 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
8K vs. 7K Helmet

So now that Reebok does not make the 8K anymore how comparable is the 7K? From looking at the 2 online I notice that the 7K does not have the microdial, but is that the only difference? I am planning on trying on the 7K and possibly picking it up this weekend but was wondering if it was a major step down from the 8K. Any help from the guys on here that work at LHS's and had any insight would be great.

By the way I was going to just buy the 8k online but they do not have my size/color anywhere.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 02:47 PM
AIREAYE

No it's not a major step down. The helmet should fit you without the microdial and because of that, I would say the 7K=8K for simplicity's sake. The 5K is basically your 4K shell + 6K foams

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 02:57 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
No it's not a major step down. The helmet should fit you without the microdial and because of that, I would say the 7K=8K for simplicity's sake. The 5K is basically your 4K shell + 6K foams
Great thanks for the info. I am going to go try it on anyways to make sure I like the fit, but I wanted to get some insider info on it first. You were actually the guys I was hoping would reply, so thanks again.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 09:17 PM
AIREAYE

No problem Let us know how it feels

Old
08-22-2011, 04:53 AM
elevation

no...7k has the same 6k plastic subshell (with carbon print) and no Microdial = the old 6K (epp)...carbon fiber (like 8k) is only used for the 11k, which got a new shell plus Microdial II...5k is no longer the Jofa 690 shell, it's a 4k with epp, 4k got a bit different vn (lower).

elevation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 09:08 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevation View Post
no...7k has the same 6k plastic subshell (with carbon print) and no Microdial = the old 6K (epp)...carbon fiber (like 8k) is only used for the 11k, which got a new shell plus Microdial II...5k is no longer the Jofa 690 shell, it's a 4k with epp, 4k got a bit different vn (lower).
Essentially, and I stressed that point in my other post, you can put an equivalent tag on it too; 7K = 8K in terms of protection.