HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The 5 biggest video game disappointments in 2013....so far.

Old
07-27-2013, 06:33 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 50
The 5 biggest video game disappointments in 2013....so far.

Agree? Disagree? Anything missing?

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged...000454136.html

Old
07-27-2013, 06:47 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

vCash: 500
Meh. The list is fine.

The only one on there that really had hype that failed miserably though was Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Everyone figured Star Trek and The Walking Dead: SI would suck, they were just worse than people hoped for.

MLB and LSL are both niche.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 06:55 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

I don't know, I think we all knew what those games were going to be. Hard to be disappointed if you go into games like those with realistic expectations.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 06:58 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

vCash: 163
He lost me at MLB 2K13

That would be like saying the biggest disappointment for the 2013 NBA were the Charlotte Bobcats.

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 07:08 PM
Everlasting

vCash: 807
What kind of persons thought that "The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct" would be a good game? :notsureifseriousorjuststupid:

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 07:21 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 169
MLB2K13 can't be a disappointment if nobody expected it to be good.

07-28-2013, 12:26 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

No Simcity?

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 12:28 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipNash27 View Post
No Simcity?
Good call...

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 12:52 PM
Mischa
Are you happy to see

vCash: 162
I didn't know that any of those were expected to be particularly good....

Mischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 01:03 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Spore. Not that it came out in 2013, but that it was such a massive disappointment, it needs to be mentioned regardless.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 09:23 AM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Diablo 3 should win the biggest disappointment of the decade, and we're only 3 years into it.

Seb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 10:18 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Can't say I anticipated any of those games to have been good. I was expecting juggernaut titles that have failed to be raving successes like: Diablo 3 and Sim City. Sure, they're profitable, but man were they disappointing...

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 10:45 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

How is Sim City 2013 not on this list?

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 01:12 AM
Villager
SMASHBROS2014

People seem to be forgetting Deadpool

Villager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 01:19 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager View Post
Deadpool is an okay game though and nobody expected it to be amazing. Plus it wasn't sold at 60 dollars at least on the PC not sure about consoles. Deadpool was at least a SOLID game not too awful not that great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
Diablo 3 should win the biggest disappointment of the decade, and we're only 3 years into it.
That's for sure, literally the only blizzard game I don't own. (Got to play it with an annual pass that was quickly cancelled halfway through it)

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 02:29 AM
aleshemsky83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager View Post
I enjoyed deadpool. It's a button masher but if you get it knowing that it's fun.

As for the games listed, and MLB game and a movie game seems silly, MLB games are all the same and movie games are always terrible.

aleshemsky83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 02:54 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Star Wars the Old Republic?

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 05:17 AM
Richie10

Diablo 3 was far from a failure and has reached urban legend status because of two major design flaws - always online requirement and the loot drop rates/RMAH.

It's easy for people to make a lot of noise about those issues because they're hot button topics in gaming as is. But behind all that crap is some pretty brilliant gameplay, far superior to D2.

D3 deserves criticism for failing to live up to 10 years of rabid fanboy hype, which is not the game's fault whatsoever.

Richie10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 09:17 AM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ ʞooqǝɔɐℲ

MLB 2k13 was basically the same as 2k12

It was pretty much expected to be a bust

REplace that with Sim City and it's fine

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 01:19 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala View Post
Star Wars the Old Republic?
SWTOR was a disappointment, but I wouldn't say it was THAT big of one. The game has vastly improved and still has one of the best foundations out of any MMO out there, being entirely voice acted, great looking, and smooth gameplay. What keeps it behind is the end game content, which is still lacking and trying to catch up to its competitors. It still has a lot of value though to play through all the different classes, given that each one is a unique experience. It is like Mass Effect meets World of Warcraft, and every playthrough is vastly different and fulfilling. They just need to make it so you want to continue playing after you finish the class quests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie10 View Post
Diablo 3 was far from a failure and has reached urban legend status because of two major design flaws - always online requirement and the loot drop rates/RMAH.

It's easy for people to make a lot of noise about those issues because they're hot button topics in gaming as is. But behind all that crap is some pretty brilliant gameplay, far superior to D2.

D3 deserves criticism for failing to live up to 10 years of rabid fanboy hype, which is not the game's fault whatsoever.
It definitely had a tough act to follow with Diablo 2. D2 was stellar in just about every aspect, but Blizzard forgot where the heart of that success came from. It was by far its vast and flourishing economy and item development system. You had to work hard to get all the best gear, to find pieces to use towards trade or gear, and both systems worked brilliantly.

Diablo 3 was doomed from the start the moment they decided to have a gold/real currency based auction house. Perhaps if they did some sort of trading post it would have worked, but the AH destroys all that was good with the game. I liked the game when it first came out, but it didn't take very long at all to get rich and buy your way to success. Now, its fate is sealed. For like $6, not even, you can buy the gear needed to farm a full room at Inferno MP 10 with ease.

Also, the drops are lackluster and far too variant. Sure it is nice to have that level of uniqueness to the items, but finding one of any real worth is extremely rare, especially when compared to Diablo 2 where you could at least see some fruit after an hour or two of MF'ing. Sure, every now and then you might find something that nets you a few million on Diablo 3, but due to inflation, that is just nothing now, not even worth 25 cents. The market is saturated and the population has suffered greatly for it. When you look at public games for the various quests and see less than 5-10 people in every direction except for Inferno high MP runs, you know the game is choking.

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 01:36 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
It definitely had a tough act to follow with Diablo 2. D2 was stellar in just about every aspect, but Blizzard forgot where the heart of that success came from. It was by far its vast and flourishing economy and item development system. You had to work hard to get all the best gear, to find pieces to use towards trade or gear, and both systems worked brilliantly.

Diablo 3 was doomed from the start the moment they decided to have a gold/real currency based auction house. Perhaps if they did some sort of trading post it would have worked, but the AH destroys all that was good with the game. I liked the game when it first came out, but it didn't take very long at all to get rich and buy your way to success. Now, its fate is sealed. For like $6, not even, you can buy the gear needed to farm a full room at Inferno MP 10 with ease.

Also, the drops are lackluster and far too variant. Sure it is nice to have that level of uniqueness to the items, but finding one of any real worth is extremely rare, especially when compared to Diablo 2 where you could at least see some fruit after an hour or two of MF'ing. Sure, every now and then you might find something that nets you a few million on Diablo 3, but due to inflation, that is just nothing now, not even worth 25 cents. The market is saturated and the population has suffered greatly for it. When you look at public games for the various quests and see less than 5-10 people in every direction except for Inferno high MP runs, you know the game is choking.
Exactly, and there are so many other flaws, like the god awful storyline. They had 10 years to create something that could be great and failed badly. Even the ambiance feels odd, doesn't feel like a Diablo game at all.

Another thing that really makes me rage are the Elites, I hate hate hate its mechanic. They're frustrating and not fun at all to fight against. An bunch of elites who spam Moltren, Arcane and some other stupid ****, all you do is run for your life. Couldn't they give unique spells to elites? And FUN spells.

Also, Diablo 2 was an improvement over D1 in how they changed the game, in the form of acts and quests. Couldn't they think of something new with D3? Something like an open world... I dunno.

I'm not even gonna talk about the disaster that is the lack of PvP more than a year after it's release. It's a shame.

All in all, for all the time and effort they put on this game, it feels waaaay too underwhelming. It's not on the level of quality players are expecting from a Diablo game.

Old
08-01-2013, 03:25 PM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
While I was a bit dissapointed with Diablo 3 it's far from the most dissapointing game over the last decade. And people hail D2 as the most awesome game ever bla bla.. they dont really remember how bad it was the first two or so years, just like d3.

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 03:28 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
While I was a bit dissapointed with Diablo 3 it's far from the most dissapointing game over the last decade. And people hail D2 as the most awesome game ever bla bla.. they dont really remember how bad it was the first two or so years, just like d3.
There are just way too many flaws to be fixed with a single Expansion.

Old
08-01-2013, 03:39 PM
Richie10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
SWTOR was a disappointment, but I wouldn't say it was THAT big of one. The game has vastly improved and still has one of the best foundations out of any MMO out there, being entirely voice acted, great looking, and smooth gameplay. What keeps it behind is the end game content, which is still lacking and trying to catch up to its competitors. It still has a lot of value though to play through all the different classes, given that each one is a unique experience. It is like Mass Effect meets World of Warcraft, and every playthrough is vastly different and fulfilling. They just need to make it so you want to continue playing after you finish the class quests.

I suppose that's where I'm more forgiving. I think the part of the problem with D3 is that it's a Diablo game. Put any other moniker on it and it's not nearly as hated.

D2 came out in a different era of gaming and is held to a lower set of standards because of it. D2 was brilliant for its time and still holds replay value, but I still believe D3 was a huge step forward in general gameplay mechanics.

As someone who sunk a lot of real cash into the RMAH, I absolutely agree the system is broken and ruins a lot of the replay value of the game. Sinking cash into the RMAH cracks my personal list of "Top 5 Total Wastes of Money That My Wife Would Kill Me For", so again, in agreement there. But again, I just don't think it's as bad as a lot of people make it out to be.

Additionally, D3 is a living game and is headed in a positive direction. From everything I've read/heard/seen, Blizzard is actively working toward large-scale itemization patches to fix drop rates and scale back the reliance on the AH.

Maybe it's just a lot of wishful thinking on my part, but I really don't think D3 is THAT bad. I put a lot of hours into it and will likely do so again in the future. I think my overall point is that the core of the game is very, very good, it's simply a matter of tweaking ancillary issues like the RMAH, drop rates, etc.

Richie10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 03:56 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Why wouldn't they just develop patches to fix the game, or was it THAT bad ?

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote