HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

League of Legends

Closed Thread

Old
08-19-2011, 08:15 PM
BeBen*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddio View Post
Never heard of it, and I have literally zero PC gaming experience, seriously nothing.

Should I give it a shot, what's it like gameplay wise?
You control 1 hero with 4 abilities plus 2 summoner spells

There are 3 waves with creeps/minions spawning on intervals from each nexus, they meet up in the middle of each lane and duke it out

Each lane has 2 turrets then you enter the base that has a tower and an inhibitor, then there's 2 more tower side by side and the Nexus

The point of the game is to destroy the enemy Nexus

You start at level 1 with 475 gold, every second you gain 1 gold, every time you land the killing blow on an enemy creep you get gold, every time you kill an enemy you get gold, every time you destroy a tower your team gets gold along with other team objectives on the map

Basically the point is to land killing blows on as many creeps as you can and killing as many enemy champions as you can to get more powerful through out the game

It's 5v5 and games can last from 20 minutes to an hour, it's pretty fun but like many others said it's not ''noob friendly'' since people basically rely on you as much as you rely on them to win a game being a team game and all

If someone feeds (dying repeatedly) it can easily bring you team down and make you lose the game

Old
08-19-2011, 09:01 PM
ErikKarlsson
The Best (per IOC)

been playing this tonight, its pretty fun especially for a free game. Im awful though

Old
08-19-2011, 10:50 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah I'll add you HF people, add me too

Add: Jack Bourdain

Old
08-20-2011, 01:58 AM
Buddio
CFC

vCash: 900
I've been playing since 11 pm.

Just played a 1 and a half hour game.

Old
08-21-2011, 02:07 PM
SonicY
Ad hominem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddio View Post
I've been playing since 11 pm.

Just played a 1 and a half hour game.
Enjoying it?

Old
08-21-2011, 11:53 PM
Frankie Spankie

I just played it with a couple of friends. It's pretty fun. So far I've only tried Annie and Warwick. I suck with Warwick, I need my range attacks!

Old
08-22-2011, 03:35 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Played about 500 games and never got into it.

It felt... Too restrictive and too nooby compared to DotA.

(restrictive as in game makes me "farm" for heroes, and nooby as in no denies and insane mana/health regen in lane, making going for kills and saving yourself for those times - which took timing etc. - rather pointless)

Old
08-22-2011, 07:31 AM
Sensfanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
Played about 500 games and never got into it.

It felt... Too restrictive and too nooby compared to DotA.

(restrictive as in game makes me "farm" for heroes, and nooby as in no denies and insane mana/health regen in lane, making going for kills and saving yourself for those times - which took timing etc. - rather pointless)
Interesting. I've played some other MOBAs, the denying is definitely a big difference (basically last hitting your own creeps to deny gold and experience). I don't know if it's restricting as you just replace that aspect with zoning, which is more dangerous because you intentionally over extend to keep the enemies away from your creeps. I've never noticed the regen. I don't doubt that it's faster in LoL but I don't see it as a gamebreaker I guess, more of a "make the game faster type thing".

That being said, I like LoL more because even the hardest of carries can't win a game by themself. You need more team work, in my opinion, than other MOBAs which makes it more interesting. In this sense, it's more about a weak link costing you the game than a strong player winning you the game.

Old
08-22-2011, 07:36 AM
BreakTheWallsDown
HFBoards Prospect

Send a message via AIM to BreakTheWallsDown Send a message via MSN to BreakTheWallsDown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensfanman View Post
Interesting. I've played some other MOBAs, the denying is definitely a big difference (basically last hitting your own creeps to deny gold and experience).
Wait.... that's seriously a tactic in some games? That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. In what war would you ever go "I'm gonna kill my own troops just so YOU can't kill them!"

Old
08-22-2011, 07:40 AM
Sensfanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakTheWallsDown View Post
Wait.... that's seriously a tactic in some games? That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. In what war would you ever go "I'm gonna kill my own troops just so YOU can't kill them!"
In all fairness, in what war does the enemy get physically stronger the more of your troops they kill?

But while it's not realistic, it's definitely an interesting complexity, though I don't find it essential to good gameplay.

Old
08-22-2011, 11:06 AM
obsenssive*

Send a message via MSN to obsenssive*
Summoner Name: Freaksh0w.

Usually play with SensFanMan!

Mains: Uh... I don't even know anymore. Can't get into a groove with any character. Shen, Twitch, Kennen and Morde maybe.

Working on: Singed, Tryndamere, Sona. Everything else.

Trying to learn more different characters and pick a favourite for each archetype right now.

Old
08-22-2011, 11:42 AM
BeBen*

Quote:
It's pretty much exactly the reasoning for Riot Games for not including Denying in League of Legends from the beginning

It's counter intuitive to kill your own creeps, the only reason it was such a big part of the gameplay in Dota is because it's a mod for WC3

Old
08-22-2011, 08:57 PM
BreakTheWallsDown
HFBoards Prospect

Send a message via AIM to BreakTheWallsDown Send a message via MSN to BreakTheWallsDown
Quote:
In all fairness, in what war does the enemy get physically stronger the more of your troops they kill?

But while it's not realistic, it's definitely an interesting complexity, though I don't find it essential to good gameplay.
I understand your point but getting stronger with more experience is far less of a stretch than blatantly murdering your allies in battle.

Old
08-22-2011, 11:10 PM
BreakTheWallsDown
HFBoards Prospect

I just saw the worst player I think I've seen so far. Some guy was playing Blitzcrank and in a game that lasted almost an hour, he ended up with only 66 minion kills, 0 champion kills, only 1 assist, and 21 deaths. He was on my team too He also kept insisting that I let him take the middle lane (Im using Annie) and every time I left the lane even for a minute he would die and it would get pushed back into one of our towers instantly. I've been playing this game for not even 48 hours and I don't even understand how someone can be that bad.

Old
08-22-2011, 11:36 PM
SonicY
Ad hominem

Quote:
I just saw the worst player I think I've seen so far. Some guy was playing Blitzcrank and in a game that lasted almost an hour, he ended up with only 66 minion kills, 0 champion kills, only 1 assist, and 21 deaths. He was on my team too He also kept insisting that I let him take the middle lane (Im using Annie) and every time I left the lane even for a minute he would die and it would get pushed back into one of our towers instantly. I've been playing this game for not even 48 hours and I don't even understand how someone can be that bad.
When you're a synergy-based tank like Blitz, it's really easy. Especially if you get a CC AP bomber with a stun against you in your lane.

The worst game I ever saw came from a similar hero in Maoki, who I will admit is quite tough to play... but this guy went 1-16, and bought a Mejai's after about 8 deaths.

This wasn't even at super early levels either, but around 16 or 17. I remember our entire team trolling the living daylights out of him... probably such that he quit and uninstalled on the spot.

Old
08-23-2011, 04:31 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
That being said, I like LoL more because even the hardest of carries can't win a game by themself. You need more team work, in my opinion, than other MOBAs which makes it more interesting. In this sense, it's more about a weak link costing you the game than a strong player winning you the game.
I actually like the hard carry a la DotA type.
It provides you with an extra strat - buying time and space for your Spectre/PL/Medusa/etc to farm.

In LoL, it was infuriating having a Blitzcrank whack a creep wave and take away my Ashe's farm... Only to find his extra-farm means very little in the end.

There's a greater need for money for every hero in LoL, and the roles are much less important compared to DotA (carry, ganker, babysitter, initiator, tank,etc.).

Old
08-23-2011, 06:14 AM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Just had a Mordekaiser go 2/28/0. The Garen he was feeding went on a rampage. Also constantly dinged the map the entire time.

Old
08-23-2011, 07:12 AM
Sensfanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
I actually like the hard carry a la DotA type.
It provides you with an extra strat - buying time and space for your Spectre/PL/Medusa/etc to farm.

In LoL, it was infuriating having a Blitzcrank whack a creep wave and take away my Ashe's farm... Only to find his extra-farm means very little in the end.

There's a greater need for money for every hero in LoL, and the roles are much less important compared to DotA (carry, ganker, babysitter, initiator, tank,etc.).
I can understand that. With very extreme roles, you really need to play to them to be effective. In LoL, that Blitz should know not to steal your farm, especially as Ashe; that being said, I've been in games where a Blitz has carried (with enough Mana that passive shield of his makes him ridiculously hard to kill).

While I agree it seems everyone needs money in LoL (save some support characters), who gets the money and when and how is the key. For example, I play Amumu, a tanky/intiator. I know it's my job to go with a carry into a lane and prevent the enemy from farming while my carry farms all he/she wants. In the mean time, I grab items that let me passively gain more gold to compensate. I also know that I can rack up assists really easily (and sometimes kills by semi-accident) because Amumu can constantly deal small AoE damage. By mid game, I'll have terrible farm but enough gold to keep up. Then when we all roam around, I can take a lane and farm it easily or hop in the jungle and kill some monsters that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
Just had a Mordekaiser go 2/28/0. The Garen he was feeding went on a rampage. Also constantly dinged the map the entire time.
I've never seen such that terrible of stats because usually I'll surrender if it's getting that bad and you know it's over.

Old
08-23-2011, 11:50 AM
DeadGator401

So, in League of Legends, there is a thing such as denying, it's called zoning. Here's a video of it here.
Yes, her voice makes me want to kill myself, but it's a solid video.

Here's a video on Last hitting.

Farming NEVER betrays you. A well farmed champion can dictate the game.

My IGN Is BushGator. Feel free to add me.

Old
08-23-2011, 07:44 PM
Sensfanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadGator401 View Post
So, in League of Legends, there is a thing such as denying, it's called zoning. Here's a video of it here.
Yes, her voice makes me want to kill myself, but it's a solid video.

Here's a video on Last hitting.

Farming NEVER betrays you. A well farmed champion can dictate the game.

My IGN Is BushGator. Feel free to add me.
The first video is by Shurelya, a champion designer for Riot (she made Lux).

Old
08-23-2011, 08:04 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

My buddy told me to join a while ago. I bookmarked the web page and was going to, but never did.

I've pretty much quit pc gaming.

I played Dota and sucked, so I figure I better pass .

Old
08-23-2011, 09:26 PM
BeBen*

Quote:
The first video is by Shurelya, a champion designer for Riot (she made Lux).
She's also nerfing supports

So **** her

Old
08-23-2011, 09:27 PM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBen View Post
She's also nerfing supports

So **** her
"We don't like when healers just heal"

Old
08-23-2011, 10:07 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

This skin is way funnier than it should be.

08-24-2011, 02:04 AM
BeBen*

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post

This skin is way funnier than it should be.
With all the new people that starts playing LoL using Annie, it's probably gonna be a good seller

Could be an halloween limited skin too who knows

They already did Mundo Mundo

Closed Thread