HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nylander a Ranger...

Closed Thread

Old
08-10-2004, 02:31 PM
Fish

vCash: 500
It still seems unlikely that Prucha will be signed, so I think we can discount him for the moment. If the Rangers had a little more talent on the wings then I wouldn't mind trying to move Lundmark back to center...but at this stage I think he's better suited for duty on the left of Holik with Balej perhaps on the right side.

Of course this wouldn't be much of a checking line, with Balej really only possessing speed and skating from a defensive perspective and Lundmark positioning, yet neither having much in the way of strength.

I'm also not sure how much Prucha's played on the wing to be honest...I was under the impression he has been mostly a center to date, something I would think the Rangers would like to continue to develop having converted so many centers in recent years to wing.

Old
08-10-2004, 02:35 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Never been a big Nylander fan.

Having said that, the move simply fills a temporary void. Nothing more.

The one problem i do have is the amount of money he is making. A little under 9 million dollars for 3 years is a bit steep for a player who at best is a 20 goal, 60 point player at this point if he stays healthy.
Like almost always my friend, we disagree....But like I said before, I used to feel the same way about Nylander buth ave really liked the way he has played---when healthy- the last few years...

When you look a little deeper into his numbers you see that ignoring last year when he was on pace to a 55 assist season, Nylander has averaged 43 A in his last 3 full season..The assist-meister is something we have been missing for a few years and Nylander's slick passing fits that order......Also, Nylander has been a plus player for every single one of the last 5 seasons, totaling a +48 over that time period...I know +/- isn't everything, but a +48 while playing for TB, Chi, Wash and Boston ain't bad...

Putting that together with the way I've seen him play the last two years and I think we got ourselves a good passing center who will score around 60 points (which is good in today's NHL) and play decent defense for a few more years..I see that more then a void filler and a good move by Sather...And yes, I hate saying that....

And is 3 mill all that much as NHL salaries go??

Old
08-10-2004, 02:40 PM
adichiara03

"It still seems unlikely that Prucha will be signed, so I think we can discount him for the moment."

He is ready to come over, its a matter of dollars now. Read my other post.

Old
08-10-2004, 02:43 PM
Larry Melnyk

Regarding Lundmark, I hope the ykeep him at C and make the kid fight to earn an offensice center spot on a 2nd/3rd line...i really don't see him playing W with the way he avoids contact and think he fits a Ranger need at C....If Lundmark (or Moore) was to excell at C during Camp, I think it would be a good idea to put together a young, energetic line with Balej and one of the young quasi-grinders...And I still think Holik would be of optimum use with two other players of similar attituded (be they young or old) rather then playing him with a Balej or Lundmark...I truly think ortmeyer is a good candidate and hopefully some other kid (or vet) will step up...

Old
08-10-2004, 03:08 PM
NYR469

nylander is a perfect stopgap...we needed a #1 center and i don't think we could have signed a better center for less $$...

throwing a kid who isn't ready onto the top line won't help anything in the long run so he isn't taking a spot away from anyone...

and for those worried about the length of the deal...nylander isn't old and if a kid emerges in the next 2 years, i think we can easily deal nylander to a contender so i don't think we'd be stuck with him...and also it isn't like we have a future #1 center just waiting to get a shot. we have a few guys who could be real good #2s but i'm not sure that i'd call any of our guys #1 centers. so we could realistically be in year 3 of the deal before he's actually taking ice time away from a kid

Old
08-10-2004, 03:17 PM
pld459666

I'm not to happy about the money either

for another 200-300K they could have signed Brian Rolston.

Nylander is a decent player, but is very small, or should I say he plays a small game.

While I'm not happy about the money, the signing fills a need, I just wish that it was more along the lined of 2.5 million per

Old
08-10-2004, 03:20 PM
deathbear

i don't get why some of you care about money so much. it's not like you're literally paying for it. when it's like 9 million a year, i can understand it, but it's three million we're talking about!

good signing, as far as i'm concerned.

Old
08-10-2004, 03:28 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666

Nylander is a decent player, but is very small, or should I say he plays a small game.

While I'm not happy about the money, the signing fills a need, I just wish that it was more along the lined of 2.5 million per
It takes two to tango--it's very possible Rolston had no interest in signing here. Between the state of the Ranger organization and the state of the world (code orange for the last 3 years in New York City), likely scares away some players.

That said, the signing fills a void and as long as Nylander stays relatively healthy, he should be part of the solution--at least on the hockey side of the equation.

Old
08-10-2004, 03:34 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

As a Caps fan looking to the Crosby derby, I am pleased to see this development. Nylander plays well with Jagr. Nylander coasts a little sometimes, but with prime ice time, this is a 65-70 point playmaker.

Old
08-10-2004, 03:35 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666

Actually, from what I saw of Rolston last year he plays even smaller then Nylander has recently...And Nylander is a MUCH BETTER passer, something we desperately need at ES and on the PP..And 3 million ain't all that bad...

Old
08-10-2004, 03:40 PM
slim399

if i was sather i would now concentrate on getting some of the euro kids signed. Most importantly marek,prucha and immonen. i still think we need a stay at home defensemen and to ditch poti. I think with jason smith getting some decent $ money from the oilers we could land him pretty easily. Maybe dom moore and lampman would get it done.

my lineup would look like this.

prucha-nylander-jagr
marek-lundmark-balej
murray-holik-ortmeyer
immonen-betts-helminen

tyutin-kondratiev
pock-smith
rachunek-kasper

dunham
?

Old
Janerixon

i fully expected us to sign a center and im glad it was nylander not demitra because demitra would have cost more and he openly said he did not want to be here, but this signing (as was noted by other posters) was also to keep jagr happy

this does signal to me 2 more signings at least, rucinsky will be signed to play alongside nylander and jagr, giving us a solid 1st line and i think sather will sign one more veteran d-man who can log 2nd pair minutes, most likely mironov to play with tyutin or it could be mcgillis

however i think this could mean strudwick will be pushed from defensemen to lw to be our enforcer, we are thin at lw and he can play that position and fill a need, we will have to see, our defense still looks shaky in the top 4, unless sather plans on using kondratiev-tyutin as the 2nd pair, but i dont see kondratiev starting here, i see him starting the year in hartford, just my opinion

lines
rucinsky-nylander-jagr
lundmark-holik-balej
murray-moore-ortmeyer
strudwick-betts-wiseman

kasper-poti
mironov-tyutin
rachunek-pock

dunham-labarbera

sc: purinton, ?, ?

Old
JJ68NYR

Its obvious we need to keep Jagr happy and it works out perfect since he can score and he could have good chemistry with JJ.

Did Prucha sign yet, i see a few posts that have prucha on line combinations???

Old
BruinsGirl

Nylander is much better than Rolston..(who is #3 center ) but no way Nylander is #1 center.

He has been so easily concussed in this year playoffs when he was trying to handle #1 role (during Thornton's injury). He should be #2 center.

I will miss him, cause he did have great deal of chemistry with Samsonov and Bergeron.

Old
08-10-2004, 03:44 PM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk
And 3 million ain't all that bad...
It's pretty bad. Considering the state of the NHL this is not a three million dollar player and with teams not signing unrestricted players it looks like Dolan/Sather blinked first or Jagr wanted this.

Also looks like he had to be overpaid and given extra years to come when at best he could have been signed for one year with a team option for a second year. At age 32 or 33 when the next season is played that is not a good signing considering his injury history.

One upside is he can play left wing.

Old
08-10-2004, 03:50 PM
adichiara03

slim, those lines arent happening. Immonen isnt coming over, either is Marek. Kondratiev is no way a top 2 guy now and you neevr put two rooks together. You also forgot Poti.

Old
08-10-2004, 03:52 PM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIsles1
It's pretty bad. Considering the state of the NHL this is not a three million dollar player and with teams not signing unrestricted players it looks like Dolan/Sather blinked first or Jagr wanted this.

Also looks like he had to be overpaid and given extra years to come when at best he could have been signed for one year with a team option for a second year. At age 32 or 33 when the next season is played that is not a good signing considering his injury history.

He was making around $2.85 last year as RFA..so I don't see how it's huge overpayment. As far as I know B's wanted to sign him but no longer than for 2 years. He does have injury problem and we don't really know about his health and abilities after the last concussion. (For example after easier concussion during 2002-2003 Rolston's game went downhill and he worries too much about being hit)

Old
08-10-2004, 04:04 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIsles1

Looking at what he was paid last year, the NH:L salaries before this year and even the signing so far this summer in the shadow of the CBA cluster****, I don't think it's bad at all. Agree to disagree. And I couldn't give a crap if Dolan blinked or Jagr wanted it because Nylander brings the exact ability we need for OUR 1st line C..

And you're getting this "he could have been signed for one year" from where exactly...I haven't seen to many one year contracts for players of his ilk this summer and any summer...

And I too am a little worried about his injury history but let's be real, before last year he played three full years in a row and not playing less than 80 games.....That's shows some durability

Old
08-10-2004, 04:11 PM
pld459666

what concussion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
He was making around $2.85 last year as RFA..so I don't see how it's huge overpayment. As far as I know B's wanted to sign him but no longer than for 2 years. He does have injury problem and we don't really know about his health and abilities after the last concussion. (For example after easier concussion during 2002-2003 Rolston's game went downhill and he worries too much about being hit)
http://www.forecaster.ca/denverpost/...layer.cgi?0896

this states that it was the Flu during the PO's and while I know that teams mask/hide injuries, this one wasn't bad at all considering he missed 1 game during the PO's.

You may have this injury mixed up with someone else.

Old
08-10-2004, 04:12 PM
dumpsathernow*

"for another 200-300K they could have signed Brian Rolston"

You would be insane to want Rolston over Nylander for this team. Rolston has zero passing ability and mooched off of Thornton and Murray a lot on the PP. He would absolutely stink here. I have zero doubt of that. He would have no chance of ever making a young player better. Nylander was the right choice.

Old
08-10-2004, 04:16 PM
Levitate

i also don't quite get why people are complaining about the money in this deal...a little under $3 mill a year for a guy who can easily reach 60+ points playing with jagr...$3 mill for a 1st line center? who the heck do you think the rangers could get in a better deal? pay demitra $5+ mill and get another guy who has a history of injuries PLUS doesn't want to play for the rangers? rolston? mehhhhh, not my idea of a 1st line center...nylander may not be a top flight 1st line center but he's moreso than rolston

he's a player in his prime, got a SMALL pay bump (if he was making $2.85 last year, that's about all he's making for this contract) who fills a needed void with the rangers for a decent price...maybe i'd rather have gone 2 years instead of 3 but it still works out where the rangers are getting him off the books when he's falling off his prime.

just can't see why people are complaining about this...seriously, did you all think we were gonna snag a #1 center for like $1.5 mill or something?

Quote:
rucinsky-nylander-jagr
lundmark-holik-balej
murray-moore-ortmeyer
strudwick-betts-wiseman

kasper-poti
mironov-tyutin
rachunek-pock

dunham-labarbera
i like those lines that janerixon posted...you got your top line that will help score some goals and keep the team competative (and isn't taking away a spot from any kids cuz none of them are ready for that spot) you got your second line with some youth centered by a savy veteran who can create space for them as well as help out their defensive roles. you got another young third line that should have tons of energy and a young leader in ortmeyer who's had some experience

and you got a decent 4th line to top it off.

though i'm not huge on the D pairings...they're kinda iffy in my mind cuz i'm pretty sure kondratiev will be in the lineup over pock if someone like mironov is signed, and i'm not sure yet if the rangers are gonna sign a D

i like the idea of letting dunham rebound and giving labarbera a chance to earn the backup spot

Old
08-10-2004, 05:16 PM
AG9NK35DT8*

Quote:
Originally Posted by adichiara03
Prucha-Nylander-Jagr
Rucinsky-LUNmark-Balej
Ortmeyer-holik-Murray
Helminen-Betts-Strudwick

Poti-Tyutin
Kasparitis-Pock
Kondratiev-Rachuneck

Dunham
Valiquette

If Prucha doesnt sign bump Rucinsky up and they would sign Barteckos or Hlavac

Old
08-10-2004, 05:26 PM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
Nylander is much better than Rolston..(who is #3 center ) but no way Nylander is #1 center.

He has been so easily concussed in this year playoffs when he was trying to handle #1 role (during Thornton's injury). He should be #2 center.

I will miss him, cause he did have great deal of chemistry with Samsonov and Bergeron.
You're correct about Nylander. He's a decent playmaking center that can put up 50-60 pts. He had awesome chemistry with Samsonov and Bergeron. I still can't understand why Sullivan went away from that line in Game Seven against the Habs. You don't go away from what's working.

The only gripe I have about this signing is the length and the price. I'd have tried to sign him for two years at around $2.5 million per. I guess considering that he made $2.6 last year, that wasn't in the cards.

I'd have Nylander center Jagr. I'd hope Lundmark can center the 2nd line. This way Holik can be a checking center. That's what I'd like to see.

Old
08-10-2004, 05:30 PM
Firefly

Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
nylander..good or bad?

i dont care...THERE IS NEWS!!! so many days of zilch to read about the Rangers.

holy crap i was contemplating crawling up in a hole and hibernating until late september.

Old
08-10-2004, 05:31 PM
Skroob*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish
32 at the beginning of October, which makes this deal seem a little long IMO. He'll be 35 in the last year of his contract...

He had 1 goal and 13 assists last year in 18 games 17-43-60 the year before in 80 games and 15-46-61 in 2001-02 in the full 82 games.

so, in three years, when his contract is up, a kid should be ready to take his place.

I dont have a problem with a 3yr deal.

Closed Thread