HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nylander a Ranger...

Closed Thread

Old
08-10-2004, 06:33 PM
Fish

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adichiara03
"It still seems unlikely that Prucha will be signed, so I think we can discount him for the moment."

He is ready to come over, its a matter of dollars now. Read my other post.
Well if your source is "Coat" from the hockeybird forums, you'll see he also goes on to say that he thinks it'll be "happenstance" if he signs, which I interpreted to mean that it still seems unlikely.

Old
08-10-2004, 06:40 PM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666
http://www.forecaster.ca/denverpost/...layer.cgi?0896

this states that it was the Flu during the PO's and while I know that teams mask/hide injuries, this one wasn't bad at all considering he missed 1 game during the PO's.

You may have this injury mixed up with someone else.
Yea...sure "flu"..and Thornton had flu too. I don't know if you watched playoffs but it was indeed concussion...I sure did. he was hit pretty hard by Begin and wasn't the same after this. He was laying on the ice for quite a while and didn't play the next game

Old
08-10-2004, 07:09 PM
adichiara03

Nobody seems to see this, but its a 4 year deal, rangers and him have an option, either way, one will take it.

"Well if your source is "Coat" from the hockeybird forums, you'll see he also goes on to say that he thinks it'll be "happenstance" if he signs, which I interpreted to mean that it still seems unlikely."

Ive read that but I think were getting that info from the same spot, someone from the CR gave me a link for it. But Im looking at his post now. I dont know what happenstance means. All someone told me is that he is willing to come over if the price is right. Its all I know.

Old
08-10-2004, 07:29 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588
As a Caps fan looking to the Crosby derby, I am pleased to see this development. Nylander plays well with Jagr. Nylander coasts a little sometimes, but with prime ice time, this is a 65-70 point playmaker.
as a caps fans you should know that finishing last doesn't guarantee you the top pick..and while this move will help make the rangers more respectable, they are still most likely still looking at a lottery pick

plus you might remember that the caps entered last season with nylander & jagr and ended up with the #1 pick...so maybe the rangers are onto something

Last edited by NYR469: 08-10-2004 at 07:54 PM.
Old
08-10-2004, 07:41 PM
gkrangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
as a caps fans you should know that finishing last doesn't guarantee you the top pick..and while this move will help make the rangers more respectable, they are still most likely still looking at a lottery pick
Our luck, we'll win the cup while trying to get the #1 overall pick.

This organization can't do anything right!

Old
08-10-2004, 07:47 PM
ap215

This is a very good signing by the rangers i like it.

Old
08-10-2004, 07:50 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovy274Hart
The only gripe I have about this signing is the length and the price. I'd have tried to sign him for two years at around $2.5 million per. I guess considering that he made $2.6 last year, that wasn't in the cards.
I feel the same way, but if you're going to bring in a quality player, you've got to sell them on a situation like this one. A situation where you're not competing for a playoff spot, nevermind a cup. A little money and some job security talks.

Old
08-10-2004, 07:54 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish
Well if your source is "Coat" from the hockeybird forums, you'll see he also goes on to say that he thinks it'll be "happenstance" if he signs, which I interpreted to mean that it still seems unlikely.
Is that what "happenstance" means?I saw that earlier today

Old
08-10-2004, 07:56 PM
Fletch

If he does score 60 points...

then something around $3 million per year isn't really so bad. And Melrose hits the nail on the head: gotta pay-up a bit to bring a guy to New York - imagine how much Sather would have to pay to bring in a real top-liner or more quality player?

What's kind of interesting is that Sather has yet to sign Bobo. I have no idea what that means, but it is interesting.

Old
08-10-2004, 08:04 PM
Levitate

i think it's a definate possibility that he won't sign mironov...from all that i've heard the rangers say, it seems that they're really taking a hard look at kondratiev and pock being on the team...and that doesn't leave room for mironov. BUT that's a pretty green blueline and might not be pretty to watch. i kinda feel that the rangers might be hesistant to sign someone right now though until they have a better idea of who might make the team (see how a guy like pock does in the calgary camp for example...kondratiev seems like pretty much a lock already from how the brass has been talking)

Old
08-10-2004, 08:48 PM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
Nylander's Last Three Years

Regular Season:

'02 Chi 82 15 46 61 28 50 6 0 2 0 158 9.5
'03 Wsh 80 17 43 60 3 40 7 0 2 0 161 10.6
'04 Wsh 3 0 2 2 1 8 0 0 0 0 1 .0
'04 Bos 15 1 11 12 3 14 0 0 1 0 29 3.4
'04 Ttl 18 1 13 14 4 22 0 0 1 0 30 3.3

Postseason:
'02 Chi *5 0 3 3 2 2 0 0 0 0 6 .0
'03 Wsh 6 3 2 5 0 8 1 0 1 0 15 20.0
'04 Bos 6 3 3 6 2 0 0 0 0 0 10 30.0

*led team

Old
08-10-2004, 09:14 PM
Slewfoot

Nylander does fill a need but in no way will he be an impact player. I don't believe he has been in the #1 center role in the past but will have to do on the Rangers at least for this season.

Old
08-10-2004, 09:18 PM
barnaby63

Prucha, Immonen and Marek will not come over this season. It was announced like 1 1/2-2 months ago. Dont have the link but it was announced.

Fish, Prucha had a ton of success with Jagr in the WC at LW.

Old
08-10-2004, 09:44 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
I wanted this since July 1st...

Old
08-10-2004, 10:11 PM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by adichiara03
Nobody seems to see this, but its a 4 year deal, rangers and him have an option, either way, one will take it.

"Well if your source is "Coat" from the hockeybird forums, you'll see he also goes on to say that he thinks it'll be "happenstance" if he signs, which I interpreted to mean that it still seems unlikely."

Ive read that but I think were getting that info from the same spot, someone from the CR gave me a link for it. But Im looking at his post now. I dont know what happenstance means. All someone told me is that he is willing to come over if the price is right. Its all I know.
"Coat" appears to have been the source for most of the boards over here, being based in the Czech republic and providing plenty of info to both hockeyrodent and hockeybird. His first language isn't Czech, which is probably why he used the word happenstance (an unusual words nowadays), but literally it means "chance circumstance", which along with the tone of his posts (and that of the translated Prucha quote...'it's in the hands of my agent now') indicated to me that it's more unlikely than likely that he comes across.

Of course you can never rule anything out until it's signed and sealed, but I would think it's still unlikely he'll be coming over...

Old
08-10-2004, 10:12 PM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnaby63
Prucha, Immonen and Marek will not come over this season. It was announced like 1 1/2-2 months ago. Dont have the link but it was announced.

Fish, Prucha had a ton of success with Jagr in the WC at LW.
Don't suppose you remember who was center on that line?

As for that announcement, it seems premature in light of some more recent reports in the Czech papers...which is what was being quoted.

Old
08-10-2004, 10:17 PM
barnaby63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish
Don't suppose you remember who was center on that line?

As for that announcement, it seems premature in light of some more recent reports in the Czech papers...which is what was being quoted.
I think the center was Jiri Dopita. Not sure though.

Old
08-10-2004, 10:23 PM
pld459666

He may have been rocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
Yea...sure "flu"..and Thornton had flu too. I don't know if you watched playoffs but it was indeed concussion...I sure did. he was hit pretty hard by Begin and wasn't the same after this. He was laying on the ice for quite a while and didn't play the next game
but if he were diagnosed with a concussion he would not have been allowed to play in the next game a mere 2 days later at most and if he was "diagnosed" as having the flu and they fully know that he was having concussion like symptoms enough that it would keep him out at least one game then there are liabilitiy issues with the Boston training staff.

Unfortunately in this day and age of the money that is hanging in the balance I would doubt that they would let him play had he had a concussion regardless of the severity.

Old
08-11-2004, 12:20 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

for the money offered they could have had craig conroy or brian rolston, both of whom I think are stronger players.
Nylander is all about skill, but he is SOFT.
I also think that 60 points with JJ is not enough. He should provide at least 70 with significant time on the PP and primary/secondary assists on every JJ goal.
If Nylander shoots a bit more, he could easily pot 20 or 25.
BUT he will draw the opposition top checkers on a nightly basis who will grind him down. Hello John Madden, Michael Peca, Keith Primeau, Radek Bonk (now the checker for les habs). Lets hope he (nylander) stays healthy.

Now what about Left Wing ?

Old
08-11-2004, 12:41 AM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588
As a Caps fan looking to the Crosby derby, I am pleased to see this development. Nylander plays well with Jagr. Nylander coasts a little sometimes, but with prime ice time, this is a 65-70 point playmaker.
greedy caps fans! You already got your phenom, let the rest of us have a chance.

Old
08-11-2004, 02:05 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
It's late, I've been drinking, but I wnat to throw in my 2 cents before tomorrow: I've argued against Nylander, because I think he's a 2nd-liner, but now that he's a Ranger, I hope his improvement over the last couple of years carries through. Stranger things have happened. Defintitely a better signing for this team than Rolston.

I wish him all the best, and I welcome him. I've always thought that the Rangers lacked a Scandinavian influence, anyway .

Old
08-11-2004, 03:38 AM
Edge

I know i agree to disagree with a few members, but I just can't get excited for a 31 going on 32 year old center who is injury prone and has only been a top line center by default on some pretty bad teams.

A three year deal means he'll be playing when he is 35. Can anyone honestly tell me they expect him to be durable for that long at this point?

As for the salary, maybe in the past it wasn't that high but this team now has 23 million dollars locked in to like 3 or 4 players. Not a good way to start out under a potential new labor agreement.

Old
08-11-2004, 04:32 AM
BwayBshirt

the reality here is quite simple to me: look at the alternatives on the free agent market and look at the reality of having a guy like nylander on the team. do i prefer him over lindros, allison, stumpel, nedved, etc.? at this point if the team is serious about rebuilding then i say yes.

nylander, for the rangers IMO, is probably as a good a fit for them as anybody else. he's injury prone, but when healthy he's a top 6 forward and a solid player. he is someone that jagr seems to be comfortable playing alongside, and as some have noted it's been a while since we have had a flat-out good passer at the center position...and possibly at any forward position since gretzky retired with the exception of jagr himself. the rangers salary-wise are getting him at a bargain price (at least i feel this is as good a bargain as they can get with a guy who was looking to "cash in" on unrestricted free agency).

and on top of all of that nylander is one of those players i think that any team could trade away if they had to and get something of decent value for. it probably would not be hard to unload him at any given trade deadline. at some point the team will have a legit #1 center and the young forwards will have grown up and be ready to challenge for top spots on the team. so if/when that's the case whether it be in year 2 or year 3 of the contract most likely, i would bet that they could move him and get a solid if unspectacular return.

Last edited by BwayBshirt: 08-11-2004 at 04:35 AM.
Old
08-11-2004, 09:43 AM
kazo

You can already begin to see the handwriting on the wall. There will be more FA signings and, at the end of the day, this will be a veteran team. Oh, there will be the usual token talk of a "youth movement" and a couple of young guys will make the team, but at the end of the day this will be a veteran team, make no mistake about it. Nylander, Rucinsky, Hlavac, blah, blah, blah.......... what a joke.

Old
08-11-2004, 09:55 AM
True Blue

This is simply a filler

Can't get overeexcited about this, but the reality is that a center was needed to play with Jags. And Holik was not the man to do it. Not a bad signing, but the fact of the matter is that Nylander is fairly soft and fairly injury-prone. But like I said, not a move that you have to stomp and curse about. Who knows, maybe Nylander will have a decent season or two (playing with a motivated Jagr on your line will tend to drive the points up) and he could be turned into an extra draft pick.
What this DOES do is free up Holik from playing with Jagr. However, much as I want Holik on the actuall 3rd line, I think that he will center the 2nd line. I do think that someone like Rosie will be brought back. So you could see something like
Rosie-Nylander-Jags
Balej-Hollik-Lundmark
Lacouture-Moore-Ortmeyer
Murray-Betts-Purinton/Strudwick/McCallister/Grenier

The Nylander/Jags line will draw the top defensive assgniments from the other team and you have to figure that the Holik will go against the top lines (even with Balej and Lundmark on it)

Closed Thread