HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Updating my home theatre setup - any feedback from A/V geeks?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-30-2014, 02:06 PM
  #1
kurt
the last emperor
 
kurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,535
vCash: 400
Updating my home theatre setup - any feedback from A/V geeks?

I'm thinking about getting the following TV... looks like a bargain, especially considering the $150 Dell gift card. I may use that on a PS4 later on.

48" Sharp AQUOS 48LE551U 1080p 60Hz LED HDTV ($470)

http://slickdeals.net/f/7092414-48-s...-free-shipping

This is the receiver & speakers bundle I'm considering. Looks like the receiver is pretty high end, and should compensate reasonably well for the TV not being a Smart TV. The speakers aren't amazing, but should do the job.

Receiver & speakers bundle ($399) includes:
- Onkyo TX-NR535 5.2-Channel A/V Receiver
- Jamo 360 S 25 Home Theater Speaker System

http://slickdeals.net/f/7086848-onky...-free-shipping


Thoughts?

kurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2014, 02:14 PM
  #2
Spazmatic Dan
The Circle of Leaf
 
Spazmatic Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chatham, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,059
vCash: 500
Looks like a pretty good TV. The only question I have would be is it $470 plus a $150 gift card, or $600 plus a $150 gift card? It looks like on the dell site that they give you the gift card at $130 value, so....

I mean, $470 plus the $150 card would be a pretty amazing deal.


I can't really speak for the speakers (see what I did there ), but I use a similar model Onkyo receiver and I love the thing. Works like a charm.

Spazmatic Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2014, 02:20 PM
  #3
kurt
the last emperor
 
kurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,535
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazmatic Dan View Post
Looks like a pretty good TV. The only question I have would be is it $470 plus a $150 gift card, or $600 plus a $150 gift card? It looks like on the dell site that they give you the gift card at $130 value, so....

I mean, $470 plus the $150 card would be a pretty amazing deal.


I can't really speak for the speakers (see what I did there ), but I use a similar model Onkyo receiver and I love the thing. Works like a charm.
I would pay $470 (there's a $130 instant savings applied at checkout) out of pocket, then I would later receive a $150 gift card. It looks confusing the way it's laid out on the checkout page but the $130 discount and $150 gift card are two different things.

Good price for the receiver, yes? The speakers aren't amazing but they're essentially just a throw-in.

EDIT - looks like I can nab the receiver for $285 via Amazon, but the speakers themselves seem to also retail in the $350 range, so overall I suppose the bundle is pretty good value - http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR525...A%2FV+Receiver


Last edited by kurt: 07-30-2014 at 02:26 PM.
kurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2014, 02:32 PM
  #4
Spazmatic Dan
The Circle of Leaf
 
Spazmatic Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chatham, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,059
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
I would pay $470 (there's a $130 instant savings applied at checkout) out of pocket, then I would later receive a $150 gift card. It looks confusing the way it's laid out on the checkout page but the $130 discount and $150 gift card are two different things.

Good price for the receiver, yes? The speakers aren't amazing but they're essentially just a throw-in.

EDIT - looks like I can nab the receiver for $285 via Amazon, but the speakers themselves seem to also retail in the $350 range, so overall I suppose the bundle is pretty good value - http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR525...A%2FV+Receiver
Ah gotcha. I didn't want to put my credit card information in to actually check what they charged you.

It essentially amounts to $320 for that TV. That seems really good. I can't speak to the quality of Sharp TVs, having never owned one personally, but at that price?

The Onkyo receivers aren't considered super high end I don't think, but in my experience they do the job well for a good price.

One thing you could consider, if you are willing to wait on the better sound, would be to get the TV now and then keep your $150 gift card for the Black Friday/Cyber Monday timeframe. Usually you seem some pretty good price cuts on sound equipment around then.

Spazmatic Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2014, 03:16 PM
  #5
kurt
the last emperor
 
kurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,535
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazmatic Dan View Post
Ah gotcha. I didn't want to put my credit card information in to actually check what they charged you.

It essentially amounts to $320 for that TV. That seems really good. I can't speak to the quality of Sharp TVs, having never owned one personally, but at that price?

The Onkyo receivers aren't considered super high end I don't think, but in my experience they do the job well for a good price.

One thing you could consider, if you are willing to wait on the better sound, would be to get the TV now and then keep your $150 gift card for the Black Friday/Cyber Monday timeframe. Usually you seem some pretty good price cuts on sound equipment around then.
Yeah, good call. I may put it towards a Black Friday PS4 bundle too. See what deals are out there I guess. If this isn't a can't miss offer for a receiver & speakers I can afford to wait.

kurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.