HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Updating my home theatre setup - any feedback from A/V geeks?

Old
07-30-2014, 02:06 PM
kurt
the last emperor

vCash: 400
Updating my home theatre setup - any feedback from A/V geeks?

I'm thinking about getting the following TV... looks like a bargain, especially considering the $150 Dell gift card. I may use that on a PS4 later on.

48" Sharp AQUOS 48LE551U 1080p 60Hz LED HDTV ($470)

http://slickdeals.net/f/7092414-48-s...-free-shipping

This is the receiver & speakers bundle I'm considering. Looks like the receiver is pretty high end, and should compensate reasonably well for the TV not being a Smart TV. The speakers aren't amazing, but should do the job.

Receiver & speakers bundle ($399) includes:
- Onkyo TX-NR535 5.2-Channel A/V Receiver
- Jamo 360 S 25 Home Theater Speaker System

http://slickdeals.net/f/7086848-onky...-free-shipping

Thoughts?

kurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2014, 02:14 PM
Spazmatic Dan
The Circle of Leaf

vCash: 500
Looks like a pretty good TV. The only question I have would be is it $470 plus a $150 gift card, or $600 plus a $150 gift card? It looks like on the dell site that they give you the gift card at $130 value, so....

I mean, $470 plus the $150 card would be a pretty amazing deal.

I can't really speak for the speakers (see what I did there ), but I use a similar model Onkyo receiver and I love the thing. Works like a charm.

Spazmatic Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2014, 02:20 PM
kurt
the last emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazmatic Dan View Post
Looks like a pretty good TV. The only question I have would be is it $470 plus a $150 gift card, or $600 plus a $150 gift card? It looks like on the dell site that they give you the gift card at $130 value, so....

I mean, $470 plus the $150 card would be a pretty amazing deal.

I can't really speak for the speakers (see what I did there ), but I use a similar model Onkyo receiver and I love the thing. Works like a charm.
I would pay $470 (there's a $130 instant savings applied at checkout) out of pocket, then I would later receive a $150 gift card. It looks confusing the way it's laid out on the checkout page but the $130 discount and $150 gift card are two different things.

Good price for the receiver, yes? The speakers aren't amazing but they're essentially just a throw-in.

EDIT - looks like I can nab the receiver for $285 via Amazon, but the speakers themselves seem to also retail in the $350 range, so overall I suppose the bundle is pretty good value - http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR525...A%2FV+Receiver

Last edited by kurt: 07-30-2014 at 02:26 PM.
Old
07-30-2014, 02:32 PM
Spazmatic Dan
The Circle of Leaf

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
I would pay $470 (there's a $130 instant savings applied at checkout) out of pocket, then I would later receive a $150 gift card. It looks confusing the way it's laid out on the checkout page but the $130 discount and $150 gift card are two different things.

Good price for the receiver, yes? The speakers aren't amazing but they're essentially just a throw-in.

EDIT - looks like I can nab the receiver for $285 via Amazon, but the speakers themselves seem to also retail in the $350 range, so overall I suppose the bundle is pretty good value - http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR525...A%2FV+Receiver
Ah gotcha. I didn't want to put my credit card information in to actually check what they charged you.

It essentially amounts to $320 for that TV. That seems really good. I can't speak to the quality of Sharp TVs, having never owned one personally, but at that price?

The Onkyo receivers aren't considered super high end I don't think, but in my experience they do the job well for a good price.

One thing you could consider, if you are willing to wait on the better sound, would be to get the TV now and then keep your $150 gift card for the Black Friday/Cyber Monday timeframe. Usually you seem some pretty good price cuts on sound equipment around then.

Spazmatic Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2014, 03:16 PM
kurt
the last emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazmatic Dan View Post
Ah gotcha. I didn't want to put my credit card information in to actually check what they charged you.

It essentially amounts to $320 for that TV. That seems really good. I can't speak to the quality of Sharp TVs, having never owned one personally, but at that price?

The Onkyo receivers aren't considered super high end I don't think, but in my experience they do the job well for a good price.

One thing you could consider, if you are willing to wait on the better sound, would be to get the TV now and then keep your $150 gift card for the Black Friday/Cyber Monday timeframe. Usually you seem some pretty good price cuts on sound equipment around then.
Yeah, good call. I may put it towards a Black Friday PS4 bundle too. See what deals are out there I guess. If this isn't a can't miss offer for a receiver & speakers I can afford to wait.