HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

XBOX 360 vs. PS3 vs. WII (ALL Discussion Here)

View Poll Results: Preferred Gaming System?
PC 34 18.99%
Xbox 360 56 31.28%
PS3 75 41.90%
None, I just lurk around this forum because cool kids post here 10 5.59%
Wii 4 2.23%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-19-2011, 02:11 PM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

vCash: 500
Just buy both already.

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 02:33 PM
Zodiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
As a 360 owner, I'd rather have a PS3 at this point, better exclusives and you don't have to pay for silly things like Netflix connectivity. (I don't care about multiplayer, but I'm not going gold, just to use my Netflix account).
after being an xbox live gold member for a couple of years and then cancelling my account ...i never really noticed, until now, how microsoft treat their Silver customers like complete trash.

example ...new demo comes out, try to download it ...can't download because its exclusive to Gold members. ridiculous. its just a friken demo for God's sake.

can't make use of any of the extra features like using Youtube, etc ...its exclusive to Gold members. i mean, its just friggin Youtube! come on!

its bad enough that when you buy a game for $60 you're locked out of the majority of its content (its mutliplayer portion/depending on the game) and you have to pay MS for the privilage to use their little lame community ...but demos, at the very least, should be free for everyone.

i guess the fact that someone paid $300+ on their console, etc, isn't cool enough with them to throw you a bone from time to time.

never again will i buy a console from MS anyway. its PC, and if i'm in the market for a console, its Playstation from now on.

Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 05:41 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
after being an xbox live gold member for a couple of years and then cancelling my account ...i never really noticed, until now, how microsoft treat their Silver customers like complete trash.

example ...new demo comes out, try to download it ...can't download because its exclusive to Gold members. ridiculous. its just a friken demo for God's sake.

can't make use of any of the extra features like using Youtube, etc ...its exclusive to Gold members. i mean, its just friggin Youtube! come on!

never again will i buy a console from MS anyway. its PC, and if i'm in the market for a console, its Playstation from now on.
You do know that Silver members can download demos a week after one is released?

Since you're on PC, why the hell would you want to use Youtube on Xbox? It's better on PC.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 05:54 PM
Zodiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
You do know that Silver members can download demos a week after one is released?

Since you're on PC, why the hell would you want to use Youtube on Xbox? It's better on PC.

ya they can download it later, but why treat your customers like such trash over just having access to a demo? i mean come on, you're already locking them out of all multiplayer portions of the games ...why be such a ***** about everything, ya know? at least it seems prickish to me.

and the fact that a service like Youtube is free everywhere else, it just makes sense to me that it should be free for everyone on Xbox ...but no. you're a second class citizen in MS's eyes if you don't have Gold ...eventhough you dropped some good coin on their console to begin with + games, etc.

also ya gotta have Gold to access Netflix on there ...its just pathetic really. they charge you for access to pretty much anything and everything they can on there. nickle and dimed up the ass. it rubs me the wrong way anyway.

Last edited by Zodiac: 12-19-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old
12-19-2011, 08:24 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Quote:
ya they can download it later, but why treat your customers like such trash over just having access to a demo? i mean come on, you're already locking them out of all multiplayer portions of the games ...why be such a ***** about everything, ya know? at least it seems prickish to me.

and the fact that a service like Youtube is free everywhere else, it just makes sense to me that it should be free for everyone on Xbox ...but no. you're a second class citizen in MS's eyes if you don't have Gold ...eventhough you dropped some good coin on their console to begin with + games, etc.

also ya gotta have Gold to access Netflix on there ...its just pathetic really. they charge you for access to pretty much anything and everything they can on there. nickle and dimed up the ass. it rubs me the wrong way anyway.
Good thing you didn't buy an Arcade edition. After you run out of hard drive space in the span of a few weeks you'd have to go to the store and drop another 100 for a bigger hard drive

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 09:42 AM
habs_24x

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyColdHrdina View Post
Good thing you didn't buy an Arcade edition. After you run out of hard drive space in the span of a few weeks you'd have to go to the store and drop another 100 for a bigger hard drive
I purchased the arcade edition with Kinnect for $199. i then went to my local pawn shop
where i got a 120GB Xbox 360 drive for $29.99. Pulled it out of the old holder (for old 360's) and slid it directly into the new slim. It immediately recognized the drive and the rest is history.

on another note, i can certainly relate to Zodiac's rant. If Microsoft really wants to make the Xbox the new multimedia settop box for your living room as they say, they need to give the services like Nexflix and Youtube for free. Only if the person wants to play online should they need to pay for Gold.

Oh and bring down the price of Gold for Christ sakes, $60 a year is too much. half that
would be more inticing.

habs_24x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 01:26 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Netflix, mehflix. PirateBay's better.

Netflix isn't even available here...

Last edited by Jussi: 12-20-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old
12-20-2011, 01:35 PM
Zodiac

Quote:
ya, torrents are king.

i don't use netflix ...but it should still be free to access on there.

Old
12-20-2011, 02:05 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
I'm a long time Xbox owner, and have had Xbox live for the past 3 years. This year is the first time I didn't renew it, as I didn't get NHL 12, and don't plan on buying MW3. As soon as I can afford a PS3, I'm buying it. Better exclusives, blu ray, and free PSN.

Ziggyjoe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 09:04 PM
Kreider
My name is Nils

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggyjoe21 View Post
I'm a long time Xbox owner, and have had Xbox live for the past 3 years. This year is the first time I didn't renew it, as I didn't get NHL 12, and don't plan on buying MW3. As soon as I can afford a PS3, I'm buying it. Better exclusives, blu ray, and free PSN.
I don't know if you'll have the money by then, but try to hold of until at least E3 2012. Who knows what's in store

Kreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 10:19 PM
MayDay

Quote:
Yeah, and robbing banks is better than having a job, but what're you going to do?

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 12:15 AM
Finnpin

Quote:

Piracy is for poor and students. I watch mostly movies from Blu-Ray...it beats Torrents 6-0 any day.

I have Xbox 360...never had Gold, you can get cheap deals for Silver too...like atm there is games cheaper and one day exlusive game offer every day till 2nd of January.

Deals every day till 2nd of January:
http://majornelson.com/2011/12/20/12...of-xbox-deals/

Daily deals here. Yesterday was Bastion...I checked..it was 600pts for Silver
http://twitter.com/majornelson

Last edited by Finnpin: 12-21-2011 at 12:39 AM.
Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 11:01 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
Piracy is for poor and students. I watch mostly movies from Blu-Ray...it beats Torrents 6-0 any day.
Well I am poor (not a lot jobs here on fields I'm sort of good at) but I do have a Blu-Ray player but I mainly use it to watch 720p versions of downloaded movies (because it plays MKV files. I've said it before here but I have about 6-7 BR films and I've so far watched only one of 'em (Aliens). I don't find the BR experience so good that I couldn't get by with downloaded 720p smaller than 1 gig MKV version. The ones I have are mostly Christmas or birthday presents (am getting the Star Wars collection this year). And in general I'm not a collector of games nor movies, I sell the the games I don't play anymore (btw, I do have an extra copy of Alien Anthology if anyone's interested, got two last year for some reason).

Old
12-21-2011, 11:32 AM
Finnpin

Quote:
Well I am poor (not a lot jobs here on fields I'm sort of good at) but I do have a Blu-Ray player but I mainly use it to watch 720p versions of downloaded movies (because it plays MKV files. I've said it before here but I have about 6-7 BR films and I've so far watched only one of 'em (Aliens). I don't find the BR experience so good that I couldn't get by with downloaded 720p smaller than 1 gig MKV version. The ones I have are mostly Christmas or birthday presents (am getting the Star Wars collection this year). And in general I'm not a collector of games nor movies, I sell the the games I don't play anymore (btw, I do have an extra copy of Alien Anthology if anyone's interested, got two last year for some reason).
I see and understand and sorry for using the word poor...it has so negative tone. Btw Alien Anthology's Aliens is a bad BD quality in many parts..the other ones were much better. I collect movies a lot but sell the ones that I don't like that much. Games I don't keep...I sell them also (except the ones from xbla). I like Blu-Ray's also for the sound quality: DTS-HD and Dolby True HD. And any BD from Pixar for example is a experience no other torrent or download can create.

Last edited by Finnpin: 12-21-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 02:31 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

Could anyone with ps3 recommend a few games to pick up? Maybe less than 25 each? Currently wont have much money until the beginning of February and only have Fifa and Sports champion..
Fallout New Vegas will probably be one of the games I will get

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 07:22 PM
Ziggy66

vCash: 131
Quote:

Piratebay is awesome 1080p everything as I have my 55" as my cpu monitor .....well mostly tv shows. Blue ray is ok but I dont watch enough movies to justify geting one and usually go to the theatre to watch the ones I want to see.

Ziggy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 09:45 PM
Zodiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnz0rs View Post
Could anyone with ps3 recommend a few games to pick up? Maybe less than 25 each? Currently wont have much money until the beginning of February and only have Fifa and Sports champion..
Demon's Souls was superb ...and its successor, Dark Souls is just as good or better (a bit better, imo).

Demon's Souls should be pretty cheap these days ...like $19 or so.

Old
12-26-2011, 12:49 AM
D Fresh
Certified Dope

Quote:
Go to the video game store, and get Uncharted 1 and Uncharted 2. Together I think they have a pack for 45, individually they may be like $20. EXCELLENT games, once you beat them Uncharted 3 should around 40 bucks, and you'll have one of the BEST trilogies to ever hit video games.

What else, if you like racing I think Gran Turismo 5 is $30 now (dunno for sure)

Metal Gear Solid 4. Should be super cheap now.

D Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 03:50 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Quote:
A "Complete" edition of New Vegas is coming out soon with all of the DLC, so I would wait for that. Get Fallout 3 to tide you over

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 04:16 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Is it possible to take my 4 gig built in memory out and put in a 250 so my gf's external 250 and my internal can still be in one xbox and not have to constantly switch ?

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 12:10 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Since no new Xbox was announced at CES, we can rule out a new one coming this year.

Old
01-10-2012, 02:51 PM
CycloneLaunch

2012 surely has to be the last full year of this console cycle though.

CycloneLaunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 04:20 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Xbox related info from the CES were mainly sales figures:

66 million units sold worldwide
40 Xbox Live members
18 million Kinect units sold

Plus some Kinect for Windos stuff: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/kinectforwin...announced.aspx

Last edited by Jussi: 01-10-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old
01-14-2012, 11:18 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

December NPD stats via Neogaf: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=458765

Quote:
Software:

December 2011 Top 10 Games (New Physical Retail only; across all platforms incl. PC) Rank Publisher
1.) Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (360, PS3, Wii, PC)** 1 Activision Blizzard
2.) Just Dance 3 (Wii, 360, PS3) 2 Ubisoft
3.) Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (360, PS3, PC)** 3 Bethesda Softworks
4.) Mario Kart 7 (3DS) 4 Nintendo
5.) Battlefield 3 (360, PS3, PC)** 5 Electronic Arts
6.) Madden NFL 12 (360, PS3, Wii, PSP, PS2)** 6 Electronic Arts
7.) Assassin's Creed: Revelations (360, PS3, PC) 7 Ubisoft
8.) NBA 2K12 (360, PS3, Wii, PSP, PS2, PC) 8 Take 2 Interactive
9.) Super Mario 3D Land (3DS) 9 Nintendo
10.) Batman: Arkham City (360, PS3, PC)** 10 Warner Bros. Interactive

14.) Star Wars: The Old Republic (PC) Electronics Arts - Over 600K

Annual 2011 Top 10 Games (New Physical Retail only; across all platforms incl. PC) Rank Publisher
1.) Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (360, PS3, Wii, PC)** 1 Activision Blizzard
2.) Just Dance 3 (Wii, 360, PS3) 2 Ubisoft
3.) Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (360, PS3, PC)** 3 Bethesda Softworks
4.) Battlefield 3 (360, PS3, PC)** 4 Electronic Arts
5.) Madden NFL 12 (360, PS3, Wii, PSP, PS2)** 5 Electronic Arts
6.) Call of Duty: Black Ops (360, PS3, Wii, NDS, PC)** 6 Activision Blizzard
7.) Batman: Arkham City (360, PS3, PC)** 7 Warner Bros. Interactive
8.) Gears of War 3 (360)** 8 Microsoft
9.) Just Dance 2 (Wii) 9 Ubisoft
10.) Assassin's Creed: Revelations (360, PS3, PC) 10 Ubisoft

**(includes CE, GOTY editions, bundles, etc. but not those bundled with hardware)
Quote:
Other Software Info:
-Just Dance 3 is the No. 1 Kinect game for Dec. 2011 – in addition to being No. 1 on Wii and PlayStation Move.
-During the month of December, Xbox 360 had seven of the top 10 console game titles including: “Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3,” Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim,” “Battlefield 3,” “Assassin’s Creed: Revelations,” “Just Dance 3,” “Kinect Sports Season Two” and “Dance Central 2,” (Source: NPD Group, December 2011). [Note: Microsoft PR statements generally do not account for handheld game sales.]
Quote:
Hardware:

Xbox 360: Over 1.7 Million (-8.6%) [Best selling platform for the full year.]
Wii: 1.06 Million (-55%)
PS3: ~936K (-22.6%) [Math from 46% of console sales are Xbox 360 and above numbers.]

Old
01-15-2012, 08:40 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
So what are the Total Worldwide Hardware sales numbers now?

I'm assuming that the Wii is still #1 by a large margin?

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote