HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

XBOX 360 vs. PS3 vs. WII (ALL Discussion Here)

View Poll Results: Preferred Gaming System?
PC 35 19.44%
Xbox 360 56 31.11%
PS3 75 41.67%
None, I just lurk around this forum because cool kids post here 10 5.56%
Wii 4 2.22%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-09-2012, 10:43 PM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
Not even giving an option to vote for the Wii this time?
Don't see why there should be... I don't consider the wii to be a current generation console... It's basically between gen6 and gen7.

Has graphics of an Xbox or GameCube... Has current gen motion sensing.

Seanconn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 11:50 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChairmanCat View Post
Don't see why there should be... I don't consider the wii to be a current generation console... It's basically between gen6 and gen7.

Has graphics of an Xbox or GameCube... Has current gen motion sensing.
And the Title of the Thread is "XBOX 360 vs. PS3 vs. WII (ALL Discussion Here)"

But yeah the Wii shouldn't be an option in the Poll.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 09:39 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
I see the Wii is closing in on the 100 million mark.

Not many consoles have hit that elite threshold.
Apparently the Wii has now hit 100 Million Consoles sold. (As per Cindy Gordon vice-president of corporate affairs at Nintendo of America)

Cindy Gordon: "No, what it really is is the Nintendo brand. Nintendoís approach is to be very welcoming to anyone and everyone, so even if youíve never played a game before, you wonít be intimidated to come and play. Thatís why the Wii sold 100 million units in the world"

http://www.wired.com/geekmom/2012/06/nintendo-wii-u-e3/

Old
06-12-2012, 11:01 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Xbox 360 has 'more than two years' left - Microsoft

E3 2012: Microsoft Studios head Phil Spencer tells GameSpot the industry should expect the 360 to hang around for "a lot more" than just two years.

http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6381373...left-microsoft

Old
06-12-2012, 12:34 PM
MayDay

Quote:
I don't consider the wii to be a current generation console...
It's a current-gen console whether you consider it to be or not.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:27 PM
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post

E3 2012: Microsoft Studios head Phil Spencer tells GameSpot the industry should expect the 360 to hang around for "a lot more" than just two years.

http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6381373...left-microsoft
I hope they continue to support the 360 even after their new system comes out. Once the 360 launched MS pretty much killed all support for the first one

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:52 PM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

Quote:
It's a current-gen console whether you consider it to be or not.
Only by default... The Wii has graphical capabilities not much different than a GameCube, original Xbox, or PS2.

Just because it succeeds the GameCube, doesn't mean the product is next gen... The only thing next gen about the wii was its motion sensing.

Old
06-13-2012, 08:54 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Only by default... The Wii has graphical capabilities not much different than a GameCube, original Xbox, or PS2.

Just because it succeeds the GameCube, doesn't mean the product is next gen... The only thing next gen about the wii was its motion sensing.
Good thing that it's not up to you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History..._generation%29

Old
06-13-2012, 10:50 AM
MayDay

Quote:
First of all, that isn't really correct. The Wii is significantly more powerful than the Gamecube and PS2, etc.

And second, that's irrelevant anyway. "Generation" isn't a measure of capabilities, graphical or otherwise. It refers to the time frame in which a console is released, with respect to its contemporaries and preceding generations of consoles.

Old
06-13-2012, 05:58 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

vCash: 50
Quote:
First of all, that isn't really correct. The Wii is significantly more powerful than the Gamecube and PS2, etc.
Eh... it's basically an overclocked GameCube with more memory. The two "GameCube's taped together" comment from Mark Rein is probably generous. It's just irrelevant, because generation jumps are more about timeframe than power jumps.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 11:40 AM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

The Wii can't even do HD... The PS2 had multiple games that supported 1080i.

The Wii is a joke, and should not be considered current gen just because Nintendo released a new system after the game cube.

The wii will forever be a 6th gen system in my eyes. Only it's motion sensing was innovative.

Old
06-15-2012, 11:49 AM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
The Wii can't even do HD... The PS2 had multiple games that supported 1080i.

The Wii is a joke, and should not be considered current gen just because Nintendo released a new system after the game cube.

The wii will forever be a 6th gen system in my eyes. Only it's motion sensing was innovative.
You're arguing semantics. There is no definition that states "next-gen" just means better graphics.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:53 PM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
You're arguing semantics. There is no definition that states "next-gen" just means better graphics.
No... Just 6 previous generations that were exactly that... Better graphics which each new generation.

NES... Super NES... N64... GameCube... The wii...

Hmmmm... Which console bucked the trend...?

Old
06-15-2012, 01:10 PM
MayDay

Quote:
No... Just 6 previous generations that were exactly that... Better graphics which each new generation.

You're focusing only in on one thing - graphical performance - and saying that is what defines a console generation.

I would argue that innovations in user interface and other things are equally or more significant.

The SNES, in addition to being more graphically advanced than the NES, involved a shift to a 4-button controller, which was at least as important, since it enabled many more possible actions in gameplay. The N64 introduced the analog stick and the trigger button. The Gamecube involved a shift from cartridge to optical media.

Defining a "generation" in terms only of graphical performance is overly narrow. Really, generation only refers to the time frame of a system's release.

Also, it doesn't matter whether the Wii is a 7th generation console "in your view" because it's a 7th generation console in fact. It's a matter of fact, not opinion. It's like if I said, "in my view, Oklahoma isn't really a state." Well, that's not a valid opinion, it's simply false.

Old
06-15-2012, 01:48 PM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

Quote:
You're focusing only in on one thing - graphical performance - and saying that is what defines a console generation.

I would argue that innovations in user interface and other things are equally or more significant.

The SNES, in addition to being more graphically advanced than the NES, involved a shift to a 4-button controller, which was at least as important, since it enabled many more possible actions in gameplay. The N64 introduced the analog stick and the trigger button. The Gamecube involved a shift from cartridge to optical media.

Defining a "generation" in terms only of graphical performance is overly narrow. Really, generation only refers to the time frame of a system's release.

Also, it doesn't matter whether the Wii is a 7th generation console "in your view" because it's a 7th generation console in fact. It's a matter of fact, not opinion. It's like if I said, "in my view, Oklahoma isn't really a state." Well, that's not a valid opinion, it's simply false.
Nah... Just because Wikipedia had a page for 7th generation consoles... Doesn't mean it something that should be taken seriously.

The Wii is 6th generation in everything except for its motion sensing capabilities.

And also the first time Nintendo released a next gen console that had basically the same graphic capabilities as the previous system.

I'm a graphics snob... And I'm not the only one out there... For Nintendo to release the wii without HD capabilities when all signals pointed toward HD becoming the norm back in 2005... Shows their unwillingness to adopt to the next generation, where high definition was standard.

Nintendo sold out their fan boys. Nintendo fan boys still buy up all their games, but they seriously got shafted this generation. One of my best friends is a huge Nintendo fan, and he even admits that most of the motion sensing stuff was ******** except for a few games, and would rather play with a GameCube controller for most games.

The Wii was basically the GameCube with "motion sensing".

Just because it's technically listed as a 7th generation system according to Wikipedia... Doesn't mean this is the first time In the modern video game era, where one of the major video game consoles has lagged so far behind the competition.

Nintendo used to lead the competition... And it kept up with the competition up until the wii.

The Wii is not a 7th generation console by specifications.

The 7th generation is defined by HD graphics, online gaming, and media center capabilities... All things the Wii lacks or is utterlly subordinate to the competion.

It's a new era for Nintendo I guess... But the Wii is in a generation of itself, if anything. 7th gen by virtue of release date... Nothing else.

Thats like saying The USA, Canada and Mexico are all of the same economic, political and social development levels because they are all countries existing in the present.

Doesn't mean 1 of those countries doesn't offer a fundamentally inferior quality of life compared to,the other 2 countries.

Same analogy works for the Wii. It is fundamentally inferior to the PS3 and 360... So other than time of release... It's of a different generation.

Old
06-15-2012, 02:30 PM
MayDay

Quote:
The Wii is not a 7th generation console by specifications.
There are no particular set of "specifications" that define the 7th gen. Again, it's only a term referring to time-frame.

Quote:
The 7th generation is defined by HD graphics, online gaming, and media center capabilities...
According to you.

Quote:
It is fundamentally inferior to the PS3 and 360.
According to you.

You state your opinions as if they were facts.

Old
06-15-2012, 02:36 PM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

Quote:
There are no particular set of "specifications" that define the 7th gen. Again, it's only a term referring to time-frame.

According to you.

According to you.

You state your opinions as if they were facts.
I'm stating facts that form my opinion.

The wii is fundamentally inferior to the PS3 and 360, though...

That wasn't the case in the 6th gen... All three system were pretty much equal.

Old
06-15-2012, 03:26 PM
avs1dacup

Quote:
I'm stating facts that form my opinion.

The wii is fundamentally inferior to the PS3 and 360, though...

That wasn't the case in the 6th gen... All three system were pretty much equal.
gen∑er∑a∑tion   [jen-uh-rey-shuhn]
noun
the entire body of individuals born and living at about the same time: the postwar generation.

a single step in natural descent, as of human beings, animals, or plants.

Every single one of the 5 definitions of the word generation involve a time period. Next generation means the generation of consoles AFTER the previous one, so in this case, the Wii is a next gen console. Opinions are not facts.

avs1dacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 04:26 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:

By far the most successful of all of those systems?

It's a pointless semantics argument, because they competed against each other for market share and "what generation they belong to", in this sense, seems to be worthless posturing.

If power was the be-all, end-all - the weakest console of the generation cycles the last three go-arounds wouldn't have beaten the other(s).

Last edited by SK13: 06-15-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old
06-15-2012, 05:09 PM
Protest the Hero

You're taking a stupid marketing term too seriously. The term "next-gen" lost all meaning not even two years into this generation when press releases continued using it even though the systems were already two years old.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 05:22 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
You're taking a stupid marketing term too seriously. The term "next-gen" lost all meaning not even two years into this generation when press releases continued using it even though the systems were already two years old.
Haha, well, there's always that awkward year or so where the current-gen consoles are referred to as "next-gen". I remember doing it with the GameCube.

Old
06-16-2012, 05:49 AM
Everlasting

Terms like "next-gen" serves no purpose and should stoped being used becuse compared to PC, consoles will always be several years behind in evolution. Compared to PC the so called "next-gen-consoles" are like calculators.

I really dont like how the evolution of consoles is going. Soon you wont even be able to use or even start your console if you havent connected it to the internet
Its almost more about social media then its about gaming.

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 12:07 PM
Evil Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin929 View Post
Terms like "next-gen" serves no purpose and should stoped being used becuse compared to PC, consoles will always be several years behind in evolution. Compared to PC the so called "next-gen-consoles" are like calculators.

I really dont like how the evolution of consoles is going. Soon you wont even be able to use or even start your console if you havent connected it to the internet
Its almost more about social media then its about gaming.
Its about control and money, they have the market cornered with console there are very few options so really the quality or functionality doesn't matter as much as the convenience or monopoly. I bought a PC over a year go and have hardly touched my 360.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 08:00 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Supposedly leaked document from 2 years ago outlining Microsoft's plans for the next Xbox: http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/16/30...doc-leak-rumor

That Kinect 2 seems exactly as I imagined it could be used, meaning the use of objects. Imagine a hockey game with you able to use your own stick...

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 08:48 AM
Everlasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Supposedly leaked document from 2 years ago outlining Microsoft's plans for the next Xbox: http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/16/30...doc-leak-rumor

That Kinect 2 seems exactly as I imagined it could be used, meaning the use of objects. Imagine a hockey game with you able to use your own stick...
God i hope we never have to experience that

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote