HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

XBOX 360 vs. PS3 vs. WII (ALL Discussion Here)

View Poll Results: Preferred Gaming System?
PC 35 19.44%
Xbox 360 56 31.11%
PS3 75 41.67%
None, I just lurk around this forum because cool kids post here 10 5.56%
Wii 4 2.22%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-11-2013, 12:47 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
You mean Sony doesn't since they're the only company who stopped issuing NPD sales figures after getting caught so many times for bloating them before hand(running joke at Neogaf). Microsoft and Nintendo release NPD sales figures every month.
Sony also cares less about the US, because its their weakest market, so the bloating was done to try and make them seem on par in the US, which they seem to have largely given up on.

All three of them tend to use shipped instead of sold these days though

Orpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 05:27 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
Sony also cares less about the US, because its their weakest market, so the bloating was done to try and make them seem on par in the US, which they seem to have largely given up on.

All three of them tend to use shipped instead of sold these days though
Not when the NPD stats are released, like the ones just a few posts ago.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 05:54 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Yea, but that's the NPD. Microsofts press releases still tend to use shipped and Nintendo uses both, but mainly shipped.

I have issues with NPD, mostly with too many people extrapolating their numbers for worldwide indicators, when the US is a fairly unique market. They also don't have firm numbers from Sony, so some of their declarations are kind of wonky.

Good summary:
http://www.1up.com/news/npd-numbers-...mplete-picture

Old
01-12-2013, 11:02 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Yea, but that's the NPD. Microsofts press releases still tend to use shipped and Nintendo uses both, but mainly shipped.

I have issues with NPD, mostly with too many people extrapolating their numbers for worldwide indicators, when the US is a fairly unique market. They also don't have firm numbers from Sony, so some of their declarations are kind of wonky.

Good summary:
http://www.1up.com/news/npd-numbers-...mplete-picture
Note that NPD no longer publishes numbers themselves but rather the companies themselves. They do have Sony's number's but Sony just aren't interested in publishing them anymore. And Nintendo has released SALES for ages, just look up the sales threads from previous months at Neogaf. This is Nintendo's official press release:

Quote:
Nintendo News

Wii U Hardware Sales Surpass Wii Sales by More Than $30 Million through First Six Weeks

With more than 460,000 units sold in December, Wii U has now sold nearly 890,000 units in the United States after only 41 days on the market, according to the NPD Group. To date, Wii U hardware sales have generated more than $300 million in the U.S. alone; Wii hardware had generated just more than $270 million at the same point in its lifecycle.

“While the Wii launch established new benchmarks in the United States, Wii U has surpassed its predecessor in perhaps the most important category: revenue generation,” said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “The demand for the Deluxe SKU, which was essentially sold out at retail this holiday, and the strong attach rate of New Super Mario Bros. U, shows that we have the value and the games to drive momentum in 2013. We look forward to offering great new experiences and bringing smiles to millions of new faces throughout the year.”

Nintendo sold more than 2.65 million hardware units in the United States in the month of December. 2012 marked the 11th consecutive year that Nintendo has sold at least 8 million hardware units in the U.S. Other Nintendo sales milestones achieved in December 2012 and beyond that time frame, include:
New Super Mario Bros. U has now sold more than 580,000 units, an attach rate of more than 65 percent.
Nintendo 3DS sold more than 1.25 million units in December and has crossed 7.7 million units sold life to date.
New Super Mario Bros. 2 became the fourth Nintendo 3DS title to surpass 1 million units sold in the U.S., and has now sold more than 1.45 million units life to date.
Nintendo 3DS continues to outpace the historic sales rate of Nintendo DS.
Wii sold nearly 475,000 units and crossed 40.8 million units sold life to date.
Ubisoft’s Just Dance 3 became the 10th Wii title to sell more than 5 million units life to date.
Nintendo DS sold nearly 470,000 units and crossed 53 million units sold life to date.
I think this comment from the site you linked (ever since the NHL 2K8 debacle that site deserves no mentioning of it's name) sums it up perfectly:

Quote:
NPD isn't perfect, far from it. But it's one of the few sources of real, objective data we have regarding the state of the gaming industry. It's a finger on the pulse of industry health, and any gaming site that wants its readers to feel they are being well-served would do well to at least issue one brief article a month outlining their findings.

Last edited by Jussi: 01-12-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old
01-12-2013, 01:15 PM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

My 360 has been doing this since the last update (I don't know if the update has anything to do with it). Most of the time, after a long rest, the disc tray just immediately closes after I press the open button (or on the controller). FWIW, my console is about to turn 4 years old this spring.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 01:50 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
My 360 has been doing this since the last update (I don't know if the update has anything to do with it). Most of the time, after a long rest, the disc tray just immediately closes after I press the open button (or on the controller). FWIW, my console is about to turn 4 years old this spring.

Possibly something wrong with the disk tray. By the way, I think we should have a sticky thread for console malfunction/problems. If people are asking for help, they might find it easier that way.

Old
01-13-2013, 08:31 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Neither company really cares about total sales, just shipped. PS3 is firmly ahead in units shipped now

Sure they don't. The PS3 is firmly in 3rd place.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 09:20 AM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post

Sure they don't. The PS3 is firmly in 3rd place.
Nice sources considering there's a source not even 10 posts away saying otherwise.

Besides, the Wii U is in third place and is being outsold by even the Vita in markets like the UK. Nintendo has a snowballs chance in hell hitting there what was it..4 million market projections?

Ps3 is 2nd globally. US and UK are the markets where 360 succeeds and the rest of the EU (save Germany, they are pretty PC centric) and all of Asia are PS3 heavy.

Honestly, whoever is first, second and third really doesn't matter when they are all over 50 million units (last gen, only the Ps2 managed that much, both Xbox and Gamecube were under 40).

Oh, and both companies tend to discuss their global sales in units shipped, so nothing I said is factually inaccurate.

Old
01-13-2013, 10:17 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Express View Post
Yeah about that..... Sony is gonna need to sell about another 25 million PS3's to catch the Wii (and that is assuming not another Wii unit is sold).

Nintendo absolutely crushed it last generation.
For hardware sold, but not for software. Attach rate on the Wii was abysmal.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:53 AM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

why do Tennis games suck? they only have like 10 real players in them

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 12:15 PM
Krishna

The only 2 tennis games I've enjoyed were Mario Tennis and topspin 2

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 12:54 PM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

ya, Top Spin 4 and Virtua Tennis 4 are from 2011, and then there's also Grand Slam Tennis 2 from 2012 but they all have a limited amount of real tennis players in them.

Is this a copyright thing?

I'm not saying they should have every tennis player from the APT or WTA...

Old
01-16-2013, 01:41 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
ya, Top Spin 4 and Virtua Tennis 4 are from 2011, and then there's also Grand Slam Tennis 2 from 2012 but they all have a limited amount of real tennis players in them.

Is this a copyright thing?

I'm not saying they should have every tennis player from the APT or WTA...
I think an ATP/WTA license doesn't guarantee automatic access to every player on the tour.

Last edited by Jussi: 01-17-2013 at 10:54 PM.
Old
01-16-2013, 09:49 PM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
I think an ATP/WTa license doesn't guarantee automatic access to every player on the tour.
that sucks

I just notice that for the most part the same bunch of players are in all of the games

Old
01-16-2013, 09:59 PM
The Reaper
Men of Mayhem

vCash: 50
I had my 360 for 3 years and i just found out i can use HD

The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 03:36 PM
iamjs
Unregistered User

http://bgr.com/2013/01/14/playstatio...nt-may-291511/

PS4 release in May? It's possible.

Quote:
A Sony (SNE) executive may have revealed the company’s upcoming plan to announce its highly anticipated PlayStation 4 console. Hiroshi Sakamoto, deputy senior general manager of Home Entertainment at Sony, said in an interview with Chilean news website Emol that the company could announce its next-generation gaming console in May. It had previously been speculated that both Sony and Microsoft (MSFT) would unveil their latest consoles at the Electronic Entertainment Expo in June. An earlier announcement would allow the PlayStation 4 to receive more press, however, rather than competing with the Xbox 720. Sakamoto said that an “announcement may be in [E3] or even earlier in May,” adding “in that time we expect to deliver great news, but we must wait until May at least.“

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 03:40 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I think "release" is the wrong word to use. It should be "unveiled".

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:23 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=513443

NPD sales for January:

Quote:
Hardware:

Xbox 360: 281K (+4.07%)
Wii U: 57K

Old
02-15-2013, 06:20 PM
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling

I fully expect MS to roll out pricing on the new Xbox with what they are doing now with the 360. Buy the console on the cheap (200-300) and gouge out the customers with charging 14.95 a month for Live.

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 10:45 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovavic View Post
I fully expect MS to roll out pricing on the new Xbox with what they are doing now with the 360. Buy the console on the cheap (200-300) and gouge out the customers with charging 14.95 a month for Live.
I fully expect them to slash the 360's price fairly soon. But yeah, lowering the price on Live would be huge. That alone would be ridiculously low, I'd be happy with the official price going to 40 (~64 in Finland/Europe) which is what I've been paying for it since around 2006. I's also like to see long term subscribers rewarded somehow. I along with few of my friends have been on Live for over 8 years, so it would be nice to see that acknowledged.

Old
02-15-2013, 10:55 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
I fully expect them to slash the 360's price fairly soon. But yeah, lowering the price on Live would be huge. That alone would be ridiculously low, I'd be happy with the official price going to 40 (~64 in Finland/Europe) which is what I've been paying for it since around 2006. I's also like to see long term subscribers rewarded somehow. I along with few of my friends have been on Live for over 8 years, so it would be nice to see that acknowledged.
Honestly, I doubt they lower the price. Even a lot of MMOs since the 90s have had $15 a month and it hasn't really changed for some things.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 07:49 AM
Clock

vCash: 50
Who cares about sales. Seriously. Are you guys shareholders? Is the business end all that matters?

Even if it does, if you're talking about 76 vs 77 million sales. So the "loser" still sold 98.7% of the winner. It's a particularly meaningless distinction when you don't know what costs and profit margins are on the larger facets of each business.

As Orpheus said - clearly all companies did well if you want to fixate on a figure as arbitrary as number of units moved, as if that is an indicator of quality.

All three systems clearly have / had something to offer, it was just a matter of individual users' tastes. Saying one was better than the other without accounting for those individual opinions is silly.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 12:43 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
Who cares about sales. Seriously. Are you guys shareholders? Is the business end all that matters?

Even if it does, if you're talking about 76 vs 77 million sales. So the "loser" still sold 98.7% of the winner. It's a particularly meaningless distinction when you don't know what costs and profit margins are on the larger facets of each business.

As Orpheus said - clearly all companies did well if you want to fixate on a figure as arbitrary as number of units moved, as if that is an indicator of quality.

All three systems clearly have / had something to offer, it was just a matter of individual users' tastes. Saying one was better than the other without accounting for those individual opinions is silly.
It's still sales vs shipped.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=512076

Old
02-16-2013, 01:02 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Does it matter? Sonys strength in two global markets while Microsoft only resonates in one means its only a matter of time before Sony passes MS. The two are so neck and neck that you might as well say they are equal, and considering MS had a year head start and RROD extra sales, its pretty significant that they are equal.

If you really care about long term sales for the systems, you ask what both companies plans are post next gen launch. Microsoft killed the original Xbox in a year I think after 360 launch, and one wonders if they'll do that again. If they do, they'll finish the gen at about 85 to 90 million sold (about 3 to 4 times the original Xbox) and Sony should crack 100 (meaning three gens in a row over 100 million) and with Nintendo already over 100, it means this gen has increased the market for console games by about 50 to 75%.

However, a lot of that was aiming at the casual audience, and I'm not really sure at all that that market is bankable long term consistently, I mean just look at the Wii U for proof of Nintendo thinking the Wii brand meant anything.

I honestly don't think this gen will see such a large increase in casual gaming, the market may even shrink slightly due to the proliferation of tablets and cellphones and PCs slowly becoming more popular. I don't think we will have all 3 systems sell over or close to 100 million again, in fact I wouldn't be surprised to see only one (or maybe two, depending on Microsoft's strategies) sell over 100 in this next upcoming gen.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:11 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjs View Post
o.O it says ps4 box unveiling don't think thats the release date.