HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

UFC signs deal with Fox, Velasquez vs. Dos Santos to headline first event

Old
08-19-2011, 03:00 PM
kurt
the last emperor

vCash: 500
Wasn't there also discussion of some big changes to the TUF format? Live weekly fights or something?

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 04:45 PM
Fanpuck33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
Wasn't there also discussion of some big changes to the TUF format? Live weekly fights or something?
Indeed. The seasons will now play out in real time over 12 weeks, rather than filming it all in a 6 week span months before it airs. Fans will be able to pick each week's fight, though I'm not sure about the specifics on that. The "reality" portions will be filmed during the weeks and edited very quickly to air prior prior to the weekly live fight.

Fanpuck33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 05:20 PM
kurt
the last emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanpuck33 View Post
Indeed. The seasons will now play out in real time over 12 weeks, rather than filming it all in a 6 week span months before it airs. Fans will be able to pick each week's fight, though I'm not sure about the specifics on that. The "reality" portions will be filmed during the weeks and edited very quickly to air prior prior to the weekly live fight.
Sounds like it may result in a better quality of fights, given more time for the fighters to train.

I wonder if one day the show will evolve into an opportunity for existing fighters to win a "tournament" for their weight class and get a raise/exposure while doing it. It seems to me it would be more helpful for Zuffa to increase exposure to fighters that are more likely to remain in the organization for an extended period of time, rather than a crop of scrubs that are almost all cut after a handful of fights. Could be useful if a weight class is in need of establishing a #1 contender for a title fight, etc.

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 05:25 PM
northstarsforever

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
Sounds like it may result in a better quality of fights, given more time for the fighters to train.

I wonder if one day the show will evolve into an opportunity for existing fighters to win a "tournament" for their weight class and get a raise/exposure while doing it. It seems to me it would be more helpful for Zuffa to increase exposure to fighters that are more likely to remain in the organization for an extended period of time, rather than a crop of scrubs that are almost all cut after a handful of fights. Could be useful if a weight class is in need of establishing a #1 contender for a title fight, etc.
I would like them to do a "comeback" season like TUF 4

northstarsforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 07:15 PM
End of Line
Human After All

FOX planning 1-hr PRIMETIME special to promote 1st show

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...mote-1st-show/

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 07:47 PM
Peter Griffin

Shogun/Machida 3, do it up Dana.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 10:14 AM
Captain_Cunney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
No thanks, we've saw that fight twice already. If Machida actually (legitimately) won one of those fights it would make sense, he didn't.

Captain_Cunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 10:20 AM
End of Line
Human After All

I believe Dana said Shogun wouldn't be on it anyway.

Also, Dana has been very, very tight lipped about the subject. I believe we might see the return of Hendo on the card.

Old
08-30-2011, 11:05 AM
m9

Henderson/Belfort and Franklin/Ortiz, do it up.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 11:21 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan MD View Post
I believe Dana said Shogun wouldn't be on it anyway.
Didn't see that, I know he said Anderson won't be on the card.

Quote:
Also, Dana has been very, very tight lipped about the subject. I believe we might see the return of Hendo on the card.
I wouldn't be surprised with that at all.

Old
08-30-2011, 12:43 PM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

Does Henderson even want to fight at 185 anymore? I know the weight cut for his fight against Shields was hard on him and it showed in his lackluster performance. Hendo has done well recently at 205 and even mentioned a few weeks ago that he was interested in unifying the Strikeforce and UFC light heavyweight championships (although I imagine each organization might not be too keen about such a fight).

Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 12:59 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
Does Henderson even want to fight at 185 anymore? I know the weight cut for his fight against Shields was hard on him and it showed in his lackluster performance. Hendo has done well recently at 205 and even mentioned a few weeks ago that he was interested in unifying the Strikeforce and UFC light heavyweight championships (although I imagine each organization might not be too keen about such a fight).
He said the only fight he wants at 185 is Silva.

On a somewhat unrelated note, does anyone know when Thiago Silva is due back? He would probably be thrown in the mix against some of these top 205ers too, although likely not on this card.

Old
08-30-2011, 01:24 PM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Possible the worst suggestion i've ever heard for the Fox card.

Shogun/Hendo would be great

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 02:00 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
On a somewhat unrelated note, does anyone know when Thiago Silva is due back? He would probably be thrown in the mix against some of these top 205ers too, although likely not on this card.
He's suspended for the year isn't he?

Old
08-30-2011, 03:01 PM
Captain_Cunney

Quote:
Henderson/Belfort and Franklin/Ortiz, do it up.
Dana did say he "likes the idea" of a Franklin/Ortiz fight. It would make sense, even the most casual of fans' know who both those guys are. The only hitch would be Ortiz, I'm not sure taking a 3rd fight in such a short time period would be something he is into.

Is Rashad guaranteed the next title shot? If not, Hendo/Evans would be a pretty good fight.

Captain_Cunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 03:04 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
Dana did say he "likes the idea" of a Franklin/Ortiz fight. It would make sense, even the most casual of fans' know who both those guys are. The only hitch would be Ortiz, I'm not sure taking a 3rd fight in such a short time period would be something he is into.

Is Rashad guaranteed the next title shot? If not, Hendo/Evans would be a pretty good fight.
I think Evans' hand is injured, he won't be fighting anytime soon. His goal will likely to be ready for the title fight, but there's no way he's on the November card.

Old
08-30-2011, 03:35 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
Possible the worst suggestion i've ever heard for the Fox card.
Not like there is a whole plethora of options out there.

Quote:
Shogun/Hendo would be great
That would be interesting for sure, assuming Hendo is signed soon, which he likely will be.

Old
08-31-2011, 02:14 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Just saw the recent interviews Ariel Helwani did with Dana White and Lorenzo Fertitta. Dana said Anderson Silva definitely won't be fighting on the card and both fights will be three rounds so obviously there will be no title fight. Lorenzo said there are probably a dozen different scenarios they are talking about for the main event and there are two or three different fights they are looking at for the co-main event. He also said that Guida vs Henderson isn't one of the fights they have talked about but they do want to showcase some of the younger guys.

There are usually rumours out there about potential match ups on a card a couple months away but right now no one has any idea about this card. They are very tight lipped about this one.

It probably won't happen but I would love to see Overeem vs Mir or Shogun vs Henderson. After all this talk about them only putting "major" or "huge" fights on FOX, something like Machida vs Ortiz/Franklin or Machida vs Shogun 3 would be a disappointment.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 10:01 AM
m9

I really think Machida is the last guy they'd put in that slot. With his style, there's always a chance the fight isn't exciting and that's not what they're looking for at all. Many of the other options are much more likely.

Old
09-01-2011, 06:07 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

@danawhite
The "BIG Announcement" 2 morrow at 10 am will be the FOX fight. The UFC and FOX are so pumped for @UFCONFOXSports!!!!!!!!

http://twitter.com/#!/danawhite/stat...85997971755008

Old
09-01-2011, 06:17 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Could it be the return of Brock?

If it is, they lose a **** ton of money from PPV or do they make it up in add money?

Old
09-01-2011, 06:25 PM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan MD View Post
Could it be the return of Brock?

If it is, they lose a **** ton of money from PPV or do they make it up in add money?
I've seen estimates of the UFC getting the equivalent of a 400K buy PPV per Fox show. No way they put Brock, a guaranteed 700K, on a card for that kind of money.

Sideline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 06:29 PM
m9

It will not be Brock. I'd put money on Overeem/Mir, or if not some combo of 205ers like Belfort, Henderson, Tito, and Franklin.

Old
09-01-2011, 07:21 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
It will not be Brock. I'd put money on Overeem/Mir, or if not some combo of 205ers like Belfort, Henderson, Tito, and Franklin.
Take out Belfort, who appears set on working on another title shot against Anderson, and replace him with Shogun and I think that's more likely. A Shogun/Hendo fight, as someone suggested earlier, would be pretty interesting. This FOX card would also be a good way of introducing Overreem to the UFC audience.

Old
09-01-2011, 07:22 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

I'm glad all the speculation/rumours will end tomorrow and we'll know for sure.

I just signed on to twitter and in the last hour I have seen.......

@ShowdownJoe
FYI - I would not be surprised if Cain vs JDS is the fight on UFC on FOX 1

@MikeChiappetta
I can report Dan Henderson hasn't yet signed with UFC so the UFC on Fox fight announcement will not include him.

@JoshGrossESPN
I do not expect Alistair Overeem to fight Nov. 12 on FOX. Would be surprised as well to hear UFC booked Anderson Silva vs. Dan Henderson.

I've seen a couple different people talking about them possibly moving Cain/JDS up a week a putting it on FOX.