HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Blue Jackets Uniform Concepts

Old
08-18-2011, 02:22 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Tough fashion choices, Jf, "Wonder what color of flip-flops I should wear, today?"
My brown ones - or my other brown ones?

Old
08-20-2011, 08:02 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Tough fashion choices, Jf, "Wonder what color of flip-flops I should wear, today?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
My brown ones - or my other brown ones?
Actually, I go barefoot except when I go outside, then I wear my Olukai Ohanas' (brown).

My daughter wore her Rbar "Wing Suck off" tshirt to the beach today. Some tourist from Deetroit didn't appreciate it.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 12:25 AM
Wisnutsen21

these are a few logos i have made
i have a some jersey concepts i have posted here before.. i will look for the thread and link to it later

Wisnutsen21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 12:55 AM
CBJ Tiffin

Timber,

That Stinger logo is very nice!

CBJ Tiffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 03:28 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

the bottom left looks awesome to me. very well done pal!

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 06:39 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

The trooper on horseback is nicely done, too.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 12:18 PM
FreeBoomer61

heres a new one:

FreeBoomer61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 02:53 PM
Heinze 57

vCash: 50
Hey that's my logo

At least cite your source.

Heinze 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 02:54 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Needs a little more red.

1857 Howitzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 06:12 PM
FreeBoomer61

sorry heinze, i couldnt find the original source so i wasnt sure who to credit

Old
10-02-2011, 06:54 AM
Milltec

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleben85 View Post
Columbus Blue Jackets
Found this over in the main boards a long time back, thought they looked pretty damn good.

Milltec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 08:03 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milltec View Post
Found this over in the main boards a long time back, thought they looked pretty damn good.
Looks like the logo was pasted on as an after-thought. I don't like this one, at all. Why are we looking at all these alternatives? We just got the new thirds, last year, and the current home and away are among the best looking in the league. I guess it's fun to play around with all the online design toys, but I'm not expecting any changes to the uniforms for a few years, anyway.

Old
10-02-2011, 12:56 PM
Milltec

Quote:
Looks like the logo was pasted on as an after-thought. I don't like this one, at all. Why are we looking at all these alternatives? We just got the new thirds, last year, and the current home and away are among the best looking in the league. I guess it's fun to play around with all the online design toys, but I'm not expecting any changes to the uniforms for a few years, anyway.
I agree that ours are among the best and there is no need to change, its just nice to have a look at other concepts. See what other people find interesting or awful. Just something to dick around with when you have some spare time too.

Milltec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 02:24 PM
FreeBoomer61

^yes!

plus its fun to mess around and see what we can come up with, even if its horrible

Old
10-03-2011, 10:01 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBoomer61 View Post
^yes!

plus its fun to mess around and see what we can come up with, even if its horrible
Or even if it's just a silly way to kill time. Like the one time I worked on a hypothetical switch to the current third as a full-time jersey...

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 11:25 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
the white isn't bad at all. I'd like to see a combo of this with the version somsone posted back when tehy were revealed that had red in it. That was very, very cool and would lend itself to a white version easily.

still like ours as is though. easily among the best in the league for home and roads. the white roads look particularly good. I still think we should all be wearing white at home...

Old
10-04-2011, 06:48 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooten View Post
I still think we should all be wearing white at home...
This has always been a pet peeve of mine! If the home team wears dark jerseys and the visitors wear white, every game looks essentially the same. When the home team wears white, all the visitors come in with their dark jerseys and make the games look more distinctive. The Browns did this for most of their history and it just made home game so much more colorful. Of course, since they were the only ones doing it, they almost always wore their whites, home and away. It did make it that much more special when they wore their dark ones, though. Since it would take league action to change from dark to white at home, that won't be a problem in hockey.

Old
10-04-2011, 12:39 PM
ZachACA

Quote:
This has always been a pet peeve of mine! If the home team wears dark jerseys and the visitors wear white, every game looks essentially the same. When the home team wears white, all the visitors come in with their dark jerseys and make the games look more distinctive. The Browns did this for most of their history and it just made home game so much more colorful. Of course, since they were the only ones doing it, they almost always wore their whites, home and away. It did make it that much more special when they wore their dark ones, though. Since it would take league action to change from dark to white at home, that won't be a problem in hockey.
I've had the same discussion with so many people and I never understood the NHL's reasoning (if they ever had one) for the switch.

ZachACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 01:02 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachACA View Post
I've had the same discussion with so many people and I never understood the NHL's reasoning (if they ever had one) for the switch.
It was done so that teams did not have to travel with both sets of jerseys (helmets, socks etc..) when the home team wears their 3rd jerseys.

1857 Howitzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 01:35 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachACA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
It was done so that teams did not have to travel with both sets of jerseys (helmets, socks etc..) when the home team wears their 3rd jerseys.
To expound a little bit....

An NHL team, on a road trip, will normally carry the following.
- Full uniforms for the 23-man roster (jerseys and socks)
- Full uniforms for the projected callups in case of an injury
- An additional set of uniforms for all of the above; if a player is cut badly or a jersey is destroyed, it's then possible to quickly replace it instead of needing to repair or clean it in the middle of a game
- Several blank uniforms, which have been numbered but not lettered
- Blank nameplates and handfuls of letters. In the event of a trade in the middle of a road trip, the other equipment guys will take care of putting the uniform together
- Practice jerseys for everyone
- Enormous numbers of sticks for the 23-man roster, plus callups, plus stock patterns
- Full equipment for the 23-man roster (pants, helmets, and all concealed equipment; plus goalie equipment)
- Backup equipment, particularly helmets
- Full equipment for the expected callups
- All the medical and training equipment that can be carried

To go back to white at home, it would require the addition of:
- An additional set of uniforms for all of the above
- Additional helmets for everyone on the roster, plus the callups

The only way that there would possibly be changes is if the following happened:
- Teams went to common helmets for both home and road. The Windsor Spitfires used to have two-tone helmets (blue back, white front) to be able to do this, but more likely it would require hockey helmets becoming of a high-enough quality that they would be used as part of the uniform rather than an extension of it.
- Teams either went to a larger number of white/light-colored alternates, OR
- Teams were allowed to have 4 jerseys rather than 3. The only two teams that have been allowed to do this were the Islanders (Fisherman era); the league allowed a huge amount of flexibility to skirt the established rules to be allowed to go back to the royal and orange scheme as soon as possible. The other was the Ducks, who made a mockery of the alternate jersey program from the beginning.

I can see a point in the future where the league might be open to having two teams wearing dark uniforms for special occasions, but it would likely be for one- or two-game road trips. The last "normal" regular season game that I can recall with this was back in the 1991-92 season, when Chicago wore their barberpole throwbacks against Quebec (who was wearing blue).

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 01:39 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

To avoid creating a huge wall of text, I broke up this part into another post.

It's commonly said (emphatically, I might add) that the NHL switched to dark at home in order to drive sales of the dark jerseys. In fact, every year that merchandise sales have been tracked (25-30 years), the dark jerseys have ALWAYS made up the overwhelming majority of sales. We're talking somewhere between about 65-80%. Most people, given the choice, defer to the dark jersey not because it necessarily looks better, but because it's going to be worn to games...and dark jerseys won't stain or show stains the way that a white jersey will. The only group that collectively tends to prefer white jerseys are collectors of game worns, because the whites show wear much better than the darks.

And since pretty much every team has the same logo on the white jersey as the dark home jersey, it's not a big deal either way. The obvious exceptions were Pittsburgh from 1992 to 2002 and Atlanta with their first set.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 02:52 PM
Heinze 57

vCash: 50
This is the latest update of my soldier logo

Heinze 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 04:25 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
To expound a little bit....

An NHL team, on a road trip, will normally carry the following.
- An additional set of uniforms for all of the above; if a player is cut badly or a jersey is destroyed, it's then possible to quickly replace it instead of needing to repair or clean it in the middle of a game
- Several blank uniforms, which have been numbered but not lettered
- Blank nameplates and handfuls of letters. In the event of a trade in the middle of a road trip, the other equipment guys will take care of putting the uniform together
- Practice jerseys for everyone
- Enormous numbers of sticks for the 23-man roster, plus callups, plus stock patterns
- Full equipment for the 23-man roster (pants, helmets, and all concealed equipment; plus goalie equipment)
- Backup equipment, particularly helmets
- Full equipment for the expected callups
- All the medical and training equipment that can be carried

To go back to white at home, it would require the addition of:
- An additional set of uniforms for all of the above
- Additional helmets for everyone on the roster, plus the callups

The only way that there would possibly be changes is if the following happened:
- Teams went to common helmets for both home and road. The Windsor Spitfires used to have two-tone helmets (blue back, white front) to be able to do this, but more likely it would require hockey helmets becoming of a high-enough quality that they would be used as part of the uniform rather than an extension of it.
- Teams either went to a larger number of white/light-colored alternates, OR
- Teams were allowed to have 4 jerseys rather than 3. The only two teams that have been allowed to do this were the Islanders (Fisherman era); the league allowed a huge amount of flexibility to skirt the established rules to be allowed to go back to the royal and orange scheme as soon as possible. The other was the Ducks, who made a mockery of the alternate jersey program from the beginning.

I can see a point in the future where the league might be open to having two teams wearing dark uniforms for special occasions, but it would likely be for one- or two-game road trips. The last "normal" regular season game that I can recall with this was back in the 1991-92 season, when Chicago wore their barberpole throwbacks against Quebec (who was wearing blue).
That's very interesting, MB. It also makes clear the difference between the Jackets and Browns, since NFL road trips are for one game (except for the 49ers, this year!), so they would not have this same issue of multiple uniforms and equipment. Thanks.

Old
10-04-2011, 04:47 PM
JetsAlternate

A few of these designs are great, but too similar to other pre-existing designs.

Quote:
here is a new one:

on the team website, they have a video explaining the process of making the third jersey. they showed a clip of one of the templates being considered, and i modified it. on the original, the cuffs are white and the yoke is a lighter tone of blue, but i changed it. enjoy!
Unfortunately, Winnipeg claimed a similar appearance for their home jersey (yeah, I know they borrowed from the Jackets' third jersey ).

Quote:
would something like this suffice? (minus the logo, ofcourse)

It seems like the Panthers are leaning towards the return of their old red uniforms. This season they introduced a red version of last year's uniform. Eventually, I think they'll go back to these:

I personally think if you modified the Jackets' original jerseys a bit with a new logo, it might look incredibly sharp. I think the only problem with the original was the logo. Maybe toy with having different colored pants. I think the red pants took away from the waist striping last time. The red waist stripe should stand out. I like those "star cuffs".

Last edited by JetsAlternate: 10-04-2011 at 04:57 PM.
JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 09:36 PM
FreeBoomer61

what do you guys think of this logo i just put together?