HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Devante Smith-Pelly will make the Ducks

Old
08-17-2011, 11:46 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
What do you guys think about Etem? I've seen him penciled in to a few Ducks pre-lim rosters and think it could happen. The biggest question there is the Selanne factor. If Teemu returns, he has a very low shot at playing in the NHL full time. But if Teemu signs elsewhere or retires, Etem is in perfect shape to snap up a top 6 wing spot.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 02:49 PM
airforceones25

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
What do you guys think about Etem? I've seen him penciled in to a few Ducks pre-lim rosters and think it could happen. The biggest question there is the Selanne factor. If Teemu returns, he has a very low shot at playing in the NHL full time. But if Teemu signs elsewhere or retires, Etem is in perfect shape to snap up a top 6 wing spot.
Selanne will not sign elsewhere. Its Anaheim or retirement. It's well documented..

In the case of Etem. Like you said, If Selanne retires Etem chances jump up tremendously. He shined in the Ducks prospect scrimmages earlier. I'm sure he'll get a long look but is likely to head back to juniors for one more year baring the Selanne decision. It would be a battle between Palmieri and Etem for the Selanne roster spot.

airforceones25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 02:55 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
This ^

Smith-Pelly is physically ready to play against men, but I don't see how having him play a full season working on the fine details & other aspects of the game and gaining confidence dominating against his peers would be bad for his development.

ANA has other guys (i.e. Palmieri) that may deserve a shot over him just based on age & maturity. It's somewhat akin to Eakin playing in the WHL this year -- sure, he could have made the Caps, but going back to juniors and dominating did wonders for him.

As good as DSP is, he hasn't "outgrown" the OHL. If Selanne retires, it may be a different story.
Agree here as I think Kyle Palmieri might be more ready and seasoned and service time will come into play as well as Selanne's situation.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 03:46 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

I think Etem has much less of a chance to make the team than DSP.

Actually, I think Etem will spend some time in the AHL after this season when he turns pro.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 04:06 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
I think Etem has much less of a chance to make the team than DSP.

Actually, I think Etem will spend some time in the AHL after this season when he turns pro.
Interesting.

To me, he is likely a top 3-5 WHL player RIGHT NOW. He's that good. He's so explosive and he could very well score 50 goals this coming season. To me, that part of his game is already NHL ready and his defensive game is pretty solid as well. He's a great PK guy because of his speed and ability to read the play and capitalize (led the WHL in SHG, I believe).

I guess we'll see how that shapes up but I think he will go straight from junior to the NHL either this season or next.

Old
08-17-2011, 04:43 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Selanne is not retiring so Etem would have to dominate camp to secure a spot in the lineup. I doubt Murray would keep him up all year to play bottom 6 minutes. Unless he can play LW (I have no idea if he's ever played LW before) and beat out Blake for a top 6 role, I don't like his chances.

As others have said, the open third line spot will probably come down to Palmieri or DSP. Sexton and Gordon also have a shot although I don't like the chances of the third line having success if one of them does take that spot.

Paul4587 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 04:58 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Selanne is not retiring so Etem would have to dominate camp to secure a spot in the lineup. I doubt Murray would keep him up all year to play bottom 6 minutes. Unless he can play LW (I have no idea if he's ever played LW before) and beat out Blake for a top 6 role, I don't like his chances.

As others have said, the open third line spot will probably come down to Palmieri or DSP. Sexton and Gordon also have a shot although I don't like the chances of the third line having success if one of them does take that spot.
I've seen Etem play both w spots.

Old
08-17-2011, 04:59 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Interesting.

To me, he is likely a top 3-5 WHL player RIGHT NOW. He's that good. He's so explosive and he could very well score 50 goals this coming season. To me, that part of his game is already NHL ready and his defensive game is pretty solid as well. He's a great PK guy because of his speed and ability to read the play and capitalize (led the WHL in SHG, I believe).

I guess we'll see how that shapes up but I think he will go straight from junior to the NHL either this season or next.
I just think he's not polished enough in the other aspects of his game to step in and be a really effective player in a bottom 6 role, and not lose confidence if he's making mistakes in that role and not scoring goals at the same time.

He can't do much more offensively in the WHL, but it's a fantastic league that can still offer him the chance to mature off the ice and in all other aspects of game besides scoring goals.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 05:01 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
I've seen Etem play both w spots.
How effective was he playing LW as opposed to RW? His chances of making the team go up significantly if he can play LW effectively.

Old
08-17-2011, 05:03 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
I just think he's not polished enough in the other aspects of his game to step in and be a really effective player in a bottom 6 role, and not lose confidence if he's making mistakes in that role and not scoring goals at the same time.

He can't do much more offensively in the WHL, but it's a fantastic league that can still offer him the chance to mature off the ice and in all other aspects of game besides scoring goals.
I agree about him in the bottom six. To me he only really makes the team if Selanne does in fact retire (which I do doubt happens)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
How effective was he playing LW as opposed to RW? His chances of making the team go up significantly if he can play LW effectively.
Never noticed a big difference in his play. He's a very smart player and looks to be able to freely adapt to any situation he's put in. I also go by the thought process that if a player can be a great RWer, he should have zero problem playing the left side.

Old
08-17-2011, 07:48 PM
caliamad

I would love the chance for Etem to play one year with Selanne. I mean how much do you think he'd learn just having a convo after each shift... freaking huge.

I think it will come down to Palmieri or DSP on the 3rd line with DSP having to playing like a mad man to warrant using up a year of entry level time.

caliamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 10:08 PM
Torts

heres hoping he plays in Mississauga

9 games in the NHL wont hurt though

Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 08:16 AM
ShadowDuck
Captain Anaheim

vCash: 150
Dream lineup would be:

Ryan-Getzlaf-Perry
Etem-Koivu-Selanne
DSP-Cogliano-McMillan
Blake-4C-Parros

I know they wouldn't demote Blake that much, but giving Etem a year to play with Saku and Selanne would do wonders for him.

I'm with the OP, I see DSP on this team this year

ShadowDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 08:47 AM
DuckshaveaRPG

as i have said basically everywhere and using maybe the longest sentence on this board. i think DSP has the phyiscal edeg to step up ow and play well but i think it better for him to have the extra year and fine tune the final missing pieces from his game so that he comes into the league knowing his game and with out being forced to learn as he plays against the very best . i think Gordon is the bets option for the 3rd line spot as he plays a similar game to DSP (both are very good gritty scorers) Gordon has put up numbers in AHL for decent amount of time now and has experienced playing for the caps at a NHL level i think he would also fit very well with the other line mates and despite his size he plays tough hockey i for one thinks he plays bigger than his size

DuckshaveaRPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 04:37 PM
James Franco

I have the same feeling about DSP making the team, that I did last year with Fowler making the team.

James Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 07:34 PM
caliamad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDuck View Post
Dream lineup would be:
Blake-4C-Parros

I know they wouldn't demote Blake that much, but giving Etem a year to play with Saku and Selanne would do wonders for him.

I'm with the OP, I see DSP on this team this year
Dream lineup may be that Blake is playing somewhere else.

caliamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 08:02 AM
ShadowDuck
Captain Anaheim

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliamad View Post
Dream lineup may be that Blake is playing somewhere else.
Meh, I don't mind him on the team unless we were up against the cap. He would be good in a bottom 6 role.

Last edited by ShadowDuck: 08-19-2011 at 03:00 PM.
ShadowDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 12:50 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Prediction holding strong right now. Battling for the final spot and will get atleast a 9 game look.

Go DSP!

Old
10-06-2011, 12:32 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed, I don't think he's looked that great in the pre-season and it's knocked down McMillan to the 4th line who DSP hasn't outplayed IMO.

I hope he gets sent down after 9 games, no need to rush him now when he has 2nd line potential. From what I've seen he has the physical play, but he doesn't have the puck control etc needed at an NHL level atm.

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 01:20 AM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 552
He needs to play much better during those NHL -games to grab a spot in the lineup.

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 01:46 AM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
I have to say I'm a bit disappointed, I don't think he's looked that great in the pre-season and it's knocked down McMillan to the 4th line who DSP hasn't outplayed IMO.

I hope he gets sent down after 9 games, no need to rush him now when he has 2nd line potential. From what I've seen he has the physical play, but he doesn't have the puck control etc needed at an NHL level atm.
I agree. Carlyle loves his game though...enough to knock off McMillan. He looks, you know, decent. He won't put up more than 20 points though. Or average more than 11 minutes a game.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 03:06 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
I agree. Carlyle loves his game though...enough to knock off McMillan. He looks, you know, decent. He won't put up more than 20 points though. Or average more than 11 minutes a game.
Could have a similar start to his career as Wayne Simmonds. Hover around a PPG in junior, make the NHL a year or two earlier then people expected as a 2nd round pick. Then, start your career on a 3rd or 4th line and eventually work your way up the lineup while rounding out your game and learning how to provide more offense.

Many similarities if DSP does in fact stick, which I hope he does.

Old
10-06-2011, 04:26 PM
James Franco

Quote:
Could have a similar start to his career as Wayne Simmonds. Hover around a PPG in junior, make the NHL a year or two earlier then people expected as a 2nd round pick. Then, start your career on a 3rd or 4th line and eventually work your way up the lineup while rounding out your game and learning how to provide more offense.

I Totally agree.

And DSP is going to be treated differently then our top line prospects, because DSP's game is effective in a bottom six role

James Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 06:35 PM
Paul4587

Unless he can drastically step up his game I hope he is sent back. He looked mediocre at best during the preseason. His agility and puck control are nowhere near NHL level yet and he looks very clumsy in general.

Old
10-06-2011, 08:02 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:

Or in Wayne's case, forget your roots, try to become a floating offensive player, not realize you don't have the talent to pull it off, get traded

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote