HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Devante Smith-Pelly will make the Ducks

Old
10-08-2011, 05:06 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
First NHL point today on an Andrew Cogliano goal.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 05:09 PM
DetRedWings109*

vCash: 500
Interesting name to say the least.

DetRedWings109* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 06:06 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetRedWings109 View Post
I wonder what race he is . Before the PC police come knocking, a preemptive go somewhere else, I think Devo is awesome.

Fowler
Etem
DSP

all 3 of them came from the 2010 draft. Could be a big time impact draft for the Ducks down the road. Hell, it's an impact draft for them now.

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:23 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Well, I called it.

With that being said, I'm pretty disappointed with how he's being handled right now. If you are going to play him 7-8 minutes a night, I would rather see him dominating in the OHL.

It's the same situation I saw with Bulmer on the Wild and they sent him back to Kelowna.

Hopefully DSP can continue to grow this season and eventually ends up playing 12-14 minutes a night on their 3rd line.

Old
11-02-2011, 01:02 PM
Bisha

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetRedWings109* View Post

What's that suppose to mean? Cause it's not Bob Smith? Pavel Datsuk has a pretty "interesting" name as well.

Bisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 01:14 PM
Bisha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Well, I called it.

With that being said, I'm pretty disappointed with how he's being handled right now. If you are going to play him 7-8 minutes a night, I would rather see him dominating in the OHL.

It's the same situation I saw with Bulmer on the Wild and they sent him back to Kelowna.

Hopefully DSP can continue to grow this season and eventually ends up playing 12-14 minutes a night on their 3rd line.
Agreed 100% with you! Here's a kid who flat out dominated the memorial cup and ohl playoffs and making a pro team at 19 is never easy, especially when its on the 3rd or 4th line, but he has a well rounded game and is responsible in his own end and when playing with good line mates, can flat out score.
Carlye seems to be allowing guys like gordon, mcmillan and belesky to show what they can do, before putting dsp into that spot and living or dieing with it. Playing with cogs doesn't help him either, because he's a selfish player and is trying to prove something for being rescued from the oil.

Let face it, the ducks aren't winning anything this year, so play the kid now that you have kept him and allow him to grow.

Bisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 01:23 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

It's Anaheim's right to do what they like but I think it would be better for DSP to play in the WJHC and dominate at the OHL level than play 8 minutes a night and potentially be a healthy scratch.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 01:55 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

The Ducks' are struggling to find working line combinations recently, and that and DSP's recent flu (reason for him being scratched) have limited his playing time, which is normal. I am almost positive that he won't stay at those minutes. Murray has said before that the 40 game mark is almost as important to him as the 9 game mark, and that he wouldn't hesitate to assign him back to juniors even after the 9 game mark if they felt that was the right thing to do for him, and I have no doubts about that. Losing that one ELC year isn't the bottom line.

Last edited by Vipers31: 11-02-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 02:00 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fever Dreams View Post
I wonder what race he is . Before the PC police come knocking, a preemptive go somewhere else, I think Devo is awesome.

Fowler
Etem
DSP

all 3 of them came from the 2010 draft. Could be a big time impact draft for the Ducks down the road. Hell, it's an impact draft for them now.
that was one heck of a draft for the Ducks ... im a HUGE fan of all 3 of those players, especially Etem ... great future ahead for the Ducks

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 02:19 PM
Pick Six
@Lafortune_FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
The Ducks' are struggling to find working line combinations recently, and that and DSP's recent flu (reason for him being scratched) have limited his playing time, which is normal. I am almost positive that he won't stay at those minutes. Murray has said before that the 40 game mark is almost as important to him as the 9 game mark, and that he wouldn't hesitate to assign him back to juniors even after the 9 game mark if they felt that was the right thing to do for him, and I have no doubts about that. Losing that one ELC year isn't the bottom line.
I'm definitely a big believer in this. In many cases, losing the first ELC year means that the player's first RFA contract will be cheaper than if the player had played three full years. It's hardly the end of the world.

I still expect Devo to get sent back.

Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 02:20 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMan View Post
It's Anaheim's right to do what they like but I think it would be better for DSP to play in the WJHC and dominate at the OHL level than play 8 minutes a night and potentially be a healthy scratch.
If he's still on the Ducks but playing a small-ish role when the WJCs come around I could easily see them letting him go to gain some more big game experience.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 03:11 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Well, I called it.

I kind of disagree. I think his playing style is perfect for a bottom 6 role in the NHL until he improves and gains more minutes.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 03:13 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I kind of disagree. I think his playing style is perfect for a bottom 6 role in the NHL until he improves and gains more minutes.
The sad thing is he isn't doing a whole lot with his limited minutes. I mean the best thing I saw him do in Washington was hold onto the puck about 3 seconds longer than I expected with defensive pressure from 3 other guys.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 03:20 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Well, I called it.
I still can't see him staying the whole year. Murray said the 40 game mark was more important than the 9 game tryout.

He hasn't looked good enough to justify his spot IMO. Brings little to no offense and he's not strong enough yet to play much of a physical game. He's ok defensively and can play on the PK but he doesn't excel there or anything.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 03:20 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
The sad thing is he isn't doing a whole lot with his limited minutes. I mean the best thing I saw him do in Washington was hold onto the puck about 3 seconds longer than I expected with defensive pressure from 3 other guys.
Well I think he's suffering from, "trying to do much" syndrome. If I was Carlyle I would have him play a forechecking role which is a simple game.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 03:26 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
The Ducks didn't let Getzlaf, Perrry, or Ryan jump right into the lineup.
That's right for two reasons, the lockout and no salary cap room to bring up Ryan.

FreeBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 03:27 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
That's right for two reasons, the lockout and no salary cap room to bring up Ryan.
Even their rookie years they spent time in the AHL.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 03:29 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
that was one heck of a draft for the Ducks ... im a HUGE fan of all 3 of those players, especially Etem ... great future ahead for the Ducks
That was after Burke left that draft no, I think he's going to be better than Kenny Ryan.

FreeBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 02:48 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Quote:
Well, I called it.

He's only get 7-8 minutes a night because he's been very, very average for Anaheim. He 'd be getting more minutes if he was doing something in those minutes. Been very underwhelmed with him.

Hopefully he is sent down ASAP, better for him at this point.

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 04:12 AM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
That was after Burke left that draft no, I think he's going to be better than Kenny Ryan.
Burkes last draft was '08, '10 was the second draft without him.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 11:34 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
He's only get 7-8 minutes a night because he's been very, very average for Anaheim. He 'd be getting more minutes if he was doing something in those minutes. Been very underwhelmed with him.

Hopefully he is sent down ASAP, better for him at this point.
Well, clearly that's not going to happen now, is it?

Old
11-03-2011, 11:43 AM
airforceones25

Quote:
Well, clearly that's not going to happen now, is it?
Have you read anyone's posts are just more concerned about pimping yourself for claiming DEVO would make the team?

Murray continues to state he wont hesitate to send him down at any point prior to the 40 game cut off.. So if he were to be sent down tomorrow it shouldn't come as a shock.. Will he? Probably not i'm sure Murray and Carlyle will give him a few more games to see if he can understand his role better if not you better believe he's out..

airforceones25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 01:51 PM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceones25 View Post
Have you read anyone's posts are just more concerned about pimping yourself for claiming DEVO would make the team?

Murray continues to state he wont hesitate to send him down at any point prior to the 40 game cut off.. So if he were to be sent down tomorrow it shouldn't come as a shock.. Will he? Probably not i'm sure Murray and Carlyle will give him a few more games to see if he can understand his role better if not you better believe he's out..
Just let him enjoy his little ego boost and smile and nod....smile and nod boys.

Agree with all of this post, nail met head

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 03:11 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceones25 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
Just let him enjoy his little ego boost and smile and nod....smile and nod boys.

Agree with all of this post, nail met head
Ego boost?

I just think that if the Ducks were considering sending him down 'ASAP', as was stated above, they would have done it before his contract kicked in....not at game 15-20 of the regular season (which is what ASAP would imply).

Old
11-03-2011, 04:16 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
I just think that if the Ducks were considering sending him down 'ASAP', as was stated above, they would have done it before his contract kicked in....not at game 15-20 of the regular season (which is what ASAP would imply).
If it's only about that "ASAP", you're right. I don't see him being sent down in the next 5-10 games, either - that would be weird, unless something unforeseen happens. Beyond the 25 game mark, it's however far from set in stone that he'll stick with the Ducks. It's up to him, and probably a couple more factors.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote