HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Football
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Football NFL, NCAA, CFL

Yahoo Sports Investigation on Miami Football/Basketball (Lack of Inst. Control)

Old
08-17-2011, 07:39 PM
Andrew

vCash: 500
As a lifetime Hurricanes fan this really sucks. Nothing I can really do after reading these articles besides just be disappointed. I'd hope they didn't hire Golden knowing this was on the horizon, but either way I think he's done once JoePa dies in his golf cart/retires and the PSU job opens up. (Joke btw. I love Joe.)

If they aren't going to hit us with any TV bans or the death penalty, I would have to assume that either way it will still be some of, if not the worst besides SMU, sanctions that the NCAA has ever handed down. 5 year bowl/postseason ban, loss of 5+ scholarships a year for 4-5 years, loss of recruiting time/trips, whatever else they can think of.

All in all, a pretty ****** situation for The U and all of it's fans, especially after there was so much hope for this season and the future.

Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 08:30 AM
puckguy11
This Space for Rent

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Then what's the point of punishing them? Lost scholarships, at least in my mind, aren't that big of a punishment. This is real **** here that Miami's in, and putting a band aid on this case of gangrene won't solve anything.

puckguy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 08:38 AM
G F O P

The punishment will likely be postseason ban and scholarship reduction. That cripples them enough. No need to wipe them off the face of the earth, even though I'm the one who keeps saying RIP Miami Football

G F O P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 08:42 AM
puckguy11
This Space for Rent

Quote:
The punishment will likely be postseason ban and scholarship reduction. That cripples them enough. No need to wipe them off the face of the earth, even though I'm the one who keeps saying RIP Miami Football
Yeah, although I venture to say if it were a BCS crasher (Say Boise State), we'd be telling a different story.

puckguy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 08:52 AM
Fro
Cheatin on CBJ w TBL

back to my regularly scheduled throwing of stones in my glass house

Quote:
"We have been in communication with the NCAA and there are no eligibility issues with Andre Debose and Matt Patchan as it relates to recent reports. Andre, Matt nor the University of Florida will have any additional comments regarding this matter."

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 09:31 AM
What the Faulk
Auggie

Losing scholarships is a huge deal. That's less quality players they are able to sign and its a competitive disadvantage.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 10:18 AM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Anton View Post
Losing scholarships is a huge deal. That's less quality players they are able to sign and its a competitive disadvantage.
Can't a would-be recruit just enroll to the school and try out for the team as a "walk on"? He may not get the full ride scholarship but he would still play for the team he wanted to.

I read a basketball player at Oklahoma State U forfieted his scholarship so another player could stay with the program. This player paid for his senior year of college.

Ziggyjoe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 10:33 AM
What the Faulk
Auggie

Sure he could, but why would he want to if, say, FSU offered him a full ride?

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 03:47 PM
G F O P

http://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/stat...92998162030593
Quote:
A potential fix to the issues confronting college football in the wake of the Miami story is.gd/nX4rhN

Old
08-20-2011, 09:46 PM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Anton View Post
Yes, but only reducing scholarships for a 1 or 2 year period like the NCAA doesn't do anything long-term to the big programs. Sure they are mediocre or bad for a 1-year or 2, but as soon as the sanctions are over the can basically go back to doing what they did before and try not to get caught. Most BCS programs can survive a short period down.

The only way the scholarship reductions act as a deterrent is if you do it over a long period of time, like 10-years.

BTW, this case isn't example of why the players should be paid. While I think the athletes should get a little bit more and the NCAA overall is a hypocritical organization, this would have happened and would still be against any reasonable set of rules. He gave the money and benefits to the athletes in order to become close to them personally, they took the money because well they were offered free benefits. Now on the other hand this is an example of the problems of having outside boosters can cause.

Last edited by jkrdevil: 08-20-2011 at 09:51 PM.
jkrdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 12:36 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Seabrook = Thief

vCash: 302
Given the history of violations of Miami program in past I personally thing death penalty is warranted

But it sounds like as of now NCAA is gonna go with some soft penalty to protect a big time program

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 07:43 AM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

How ironic, the 30 for 30 episode for "The U" was on last night.

Sports Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 09:36 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Figures that while I'm away the Miami thing goes down. It's a little bit funny that the biggest one of them all comes from none other than Thug U. All of this and they still can't get past Virginia Tech

This is obviously way beyond and out of control from anything SC or OSU did. SC was essentially one person, OSU was 5. Miami was 72 across multiple sports, with players who willfully participated in obvious rules violations, with far more luxurious (prostitutes and such) if not major "gifts" paid for (an abortion? Really?).

The only way the NCAA even stays credible here is if they hit Miami with the Death Penalty. This is so far out of control that a simple reduction in scholarships or post-season ban or probation is not enough. Miami would thank everyone in the high heavens with scholarship reductions and a few post-season bans. They shouldn't even be allowed on the field. They shouldn't get the same penalty, or moderately stricter penalty that USC got or OSU will get, and the kids who commit to the school and had nothing to do with it shouldn't be punished - they should be given their unconditional release from their scholarships without having to sit out a year. It's time for the NCAA throw the book at a major high-profile program. And I don't buy for a second that no one at the school knew this was going on. Nevin Shapiro was down there with the players BEFORE games, in the tunnel, on the field, etc. Time for a major head to roll. They say they're going to cooperate now, but they turned their head when it was going on.

Really feel bad for Al Golden. He doesn't deserve to have to clean this up. I never thought I'd see the day where Temple is probably a more desirable spot than Miami. If he knew this 6 months ago, he would have never left.

Old
08-21-2011, 09:39 AM
G F O P

The NCAA won't use the death penalty again. They're too focused on money. Nuking Miami off the face of the earth for 2 years is not worth it financially for them.

Old
08-21-2011, 09:41 AM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Figures that while I'm away the Miami thing goes down. It's a little bit funny that the biggest one of them all comes from none other than Thug U. All of this and they still can't get past Virginia Tech

This is obviously way beyond and out of control from anything SC or OSU did. SC was essentially one person, OSU was 5. Miami was 72 across multiple sports, with players who willfully participated in obvious rules violations, with far more luxurious (prostitutes and such) if not major "gifts" paid for (an abortion? Really?).

The only way the NCAA even stays credible here is if they hit Miami with the Death Penalty. This is so far out of control that a simple reduction in scholarships or post-season ban or probation is not enough. Miami would thank everyone in the high heavens with scholarship reductions and a few post-season bans. They shouldn't even be allowed on the field. They shouldn't get the same penalty, or moderately stricter penalty that USC got or OSU will get, and the kids who commit to the school and had nothing to do with it shouldn't be punished - they should be given their unconditional release from their scholarships without having to sit out a year. It's time for the NCAA throw the book at a major high-profile program. And I don't buy for a second that no one at the school knew this was going on. Nevin Shapiro was down there with the players BEFORE games, in the tunnel, on the field, etc. Time for a major head to roll. They say they're going to cooperate now, but they turned their head when it was going on.

Really feel bad for Al Golden. He doesn't deserve to have to clean this up. I never thought I'd see the day where Temple is probably a more desirable spot than Miami. If he knew this 6 months ago, he would have never left.
Agree 100%. I know they said they never wanted to use it again but we aren't talking soley Football here, Basketball ncluded. This makes it the exception case to the rule IMO.

Old
08-21-2011, 09:46 AM
G F O P

The problem is you thinking the NCAA is credible when they aren't

Logically, the NCAA would impose the death penalty, but they have business interests and money in mind

Old
08-21-2011, 11:32 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
The problem is you thinking the NCAA is credible when they aren't

Logically, the NCAA would impose the death penalty, but they have business interests and money in mind
One school won't kill them. They don't get their money from Miami, they get it from ESPN, CBS, and sponsors. And some of those sponsors may not want to be associated with an organization that lets kids have sexathons on yachts and have criminals pay for other (or the same) kids' prostitutes and abortions.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 11:46 AM
G F O P

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...lty/index.html

Quote:
Of course, the death penalty would be more powerful than suspensions or postseason bans. But the NCAA doesn't want any part of it. The NCAA can't reach too far to enforce its rules, because then the whole system could collapse.

Shutting down the Miami program would severely weaken the Atlantic Coast Conference, one of the six power conferences that control the Bowl Championship Series. The ACC needs its best programs to compete and, just as crucially, appear on television. Networks don't pay rights fees to show the death penalty.

To sum up: The NCAA is upset that Miami players took whatever cash they could grab, but the NCAA won't punish Miami too severely because its member schools want whatever cash they can grab.

Aren't "amateur" sports a blast?

Old
08-21-2011, 02:05 PM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Yet Miami last did something of relevancy when?

Old
08-21-2011, 03:23 PM
G F O P

So you could say basically they've been on a death penalty since then

LOL

Old
08-21-2011, 03:57 PM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:

So you could say basically they've been on a death penalty since then

LOL
Thats where an arguement comes into play. They haven't been the top Dog in the ACC at all, now you whack up VT now we're talkin!

Old
08-21-2011, 04:06 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Right, Miami went from top dog, and when they started doing all this crap, they started playing 2nd fiddle to a program who can't recruit outside of Virginia and North Carolina.

Old
08-21-2011, 04:08 PM
G F O P

Yeah, all this cheating didn't get them ****. Best it got them was mediocre seasons year after year. They weren't going to any ACC title games despite this scandal.

Expansion has really been a nightmare for Miami. They were supposed to help out yet it's only VT putting in their share, from all the teams that joined the BE.

Old
08-21-2011, 04:16 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

This will also severely hamper Miami's chances of getting into the SEC, in which there was enough hurdles to jump over with Florida in their way. When SMU got the Death Penalty, the SWC dissolved.

Old
08-21-2011, 04:22 PM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Yeah, all this cheating didn't get them ****. Best it got them was mediocre seasons year after year. They weren't going to any ACC title games despite this scandal.

Expansion has really been a nightmare for Miami. They were supposed to help out yet it's only VT putting in their share, from all the teams that joined the BE.
It's odd as hell. Both come from the Big East, one team falters and the other rises so to speak.