Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > QMJHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Halifax Mooseheads/Nathan MacKinnon, 2011-12 Season

Old
08-17-2011, 10:22 AM
Dgill

vCash: 50
Halifax Mooseheads/Nathan MacKinnon, 2011-12 Season

The Red-Green Intrasquad games begin tonight at the Cole Harbour Place. I'm feeling pretty optimistic about this up-coming season. The Moose certainly look a lot better this season. A year under a lot of the young guys belts should only be a benefit as well.

On a more sour note:
Quote:
Drouin no-shows to Halifax Mooseheads training camp
GM Cam Russell says team is "negotiating" with top propsect

One of the Halifax Mooseheads’ top prospects was a no-show on the opening day of training camp at Cole Harbour Place on Wednesday morning.

Jonathan Drouin, drafted second overall in June’s draft, is planning to stay home and play midget AAA for the Lac-St. Louis (Que) Lions, according to Mooseheads general manager Cam Russell.

The Mooseheads were caught off-guard by Drouin’s decision but are hoping the high-scoring 16-year-old left-winger has a change of heart.

“We’re negotiating, talking to him,” Russell said. “We’re just trying to work things out.”
http://www.metronews.ca/halifax/loca...-training-camp

Dgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 10:28 AM
Breakfast of Champs

vCash: 500
so shocking with the drouin news

Breakfast of Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 12:05 PM
leafygoods
Defending Champs

Sucks about Drouin but hopefully Russel can convince him to come, we have a few guys that can replace him so its not a huge loss but kid would be nice to have. Should be making the red and green game tonight, will be interesting to see who stands out.

leafygoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 01:03 PM
markrander87

Came on HF to post this article, very surprising news.

markrander87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 02:02 PM
Slippy

Sounding a lot like a case of just a young guy with some hesitation to leave home. He had been excited about the Moose on draft day, and apparently reitierated that to GM Russell throughout the summer. Last few days though, some hesitation started to leak into his tone by the sounds of comments from Russell.

Nothing too ground breaking, but I had a blog post on it too: Link

Slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 05:33 PM
BLBarmada

Jon Drouin is very popular in the LSL area, he's very popular at PCHS( his highschool) I'm not surprised by this, he and Anthony Duclair are good friends and both were at training camp when it opened.

In all honesty he's still very much a boy. He's very skilled and could be better then Ducalir, but he has growing to do. He's still undersized and another year in LSL will do him good.

He has the skill to dominate and if he does show up he's going to look like a Q player.
He's too small still and too weak.

IMO it would be a mistake for him to leave now. Even Anthony Duclair will struggle but he's gonna survive cause he's popular.

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 10:07 PM
Dgill

Never got to any of the preseason games last weekend or any of the intra-squad games, but I have been hearing great things. The three overager spots should be interesting. Grenier sounds almost a shoo-in and I have also been hearing great things about Critchlow.

Old
08-23-2011, 12:38 PM
Thorntonfan97
Jose Bautista-35 HR

vCash: 200
Send a message via MSN to Thorntonfan97 Send a message via Yahoo to Thorntonfan97
I went to the Preseason game against Cape Breton and Nathan was great but he alomst got a concussion and almost killed himself twice going into the boards

Marty Frk was amazing he was probably the best player for the Moose in that game, having Frk and MacKinnon on the same line is gonna be beast.

Well this year I wont be given tickets and be leaving them on the counter because they are gonna loose 8-2 lol

I cant wait untill the home opener though Metro Centre is gonna be packed

Thorntonfan97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 02:03 PM
johnnydrum

Hi Thornton fan
Like the Sarnia Sting--who despite a non playoff berth last season, were great entertainment, I am looking forward to hear about Halifax this year, who could make a similar rise in 2011-12
You mention Martin Frk, who clearly stood out...but what was it in perticular that impressed you?
I think him and Nail Yakupov seem similar as they head into thier Draft Year.
Nail I have read has the better speed, but Frk has the bigger shot.
Would like to hear peoples views .on any of the Euros in either the Q or the O.

johnnydrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 04:11 PM
Penguins23
Le Magnifique

I look forward to watching the Moose this season. Looks like I will have a lot to write about. I'm not even talking about MacKinnon they have a couple of good young players who happen to be in their NHL draft year. Should be a great team to watch for a couple of years.

08-24-2011, 11:21 AM
Thorntonfan97
Jose Bautista-35 HR

vCash: 200
Send a message via MSN to Thorntonfan97 Send a message via Yahoo to Thorntonfan97
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydrum View Post
Hi Thornton fan
Like the Sarnia Sting--who despite a non playoff berth last season, were great entertainment, I am looking forward to hear about Halifax this year, who could make a similar rise in 2011-12
You mention Martin Frk, who clearly stood out...but what was it in perticular that impressed you?
I think him and Nail Yakupov seem similar as they head into thier Draft Year.
Nail I have read has the better speed, but Frk has the bigger shot.
Would like to hear peoples views .on any of the Euros in either the Q or the O.
Frk was easily skating around everyone and he is a decent skater has one hell of a shot and is a very skilled playmaker. Frk skated around the D at least 3times a period, he also can be good along the boards.

Got a goal on his first shift and an assist on the PP in the game.

Thorntonfan97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 07:53 AM
Komarov47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorntonfan97 View Post
Frk was easily skating around everyone and he is a decent skater has one hell of a shot and is a very skilled playmaker. Frk skated around the D at least 3times a period, he also can be good along the boards.

Got a goal on his first shift and an assist on the PP in the game.
Does it seems to you that Frk was above McKinnon? (i'm not talking about physical cause obviously Nathan is still a kid, but i'm talking about raw skill?)

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 09:38 PM
JackFr

I just came back from the Moncton - Halifax game (came to see a friend of mine who was unfortunately the backup goalie).

Ciampini was incredible; he's becoming by far my favourite Moosehead. He was always the best player on the ice.

Frk didn't play, and McKinnon, despite getting 2 points, had some rookie mistakes, especially on the powerplay. His shootout attempt was pretty embarrassing. He tried to do way too much and shot about 3 feet wide.

The big problem was Terenzio, who was brutal. He made about 2 great saves, but other than that was weak, unconfident, and really jumpy.

However, the Mooseheads were fast, worked great together, and played great defence. I'm hoping that this year we can actually do something.

JackFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 06:38 AM
johnnydrum

Hi Jack.
What was it in perticular you liked about him? (Ciampini)
I must say the Mosseheads sound like a very exciting team this year--and they deserve it too after taking a pasting over the last few years.

On these early showings, does it appear that Frk has improved his skating?
I have read he has a great, great shot, and has some "moves", but gather his skating was, at best a little choppy--although I have read conflicting reviews, where folk have said "he can fly"
Really want to see some more footage of him.

All the best to you all

Old
09-04-2011, 12:16 PM
JackFr

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydrum View Post
Hi Jack.
What was it in perticular you liked about him? (Ciampini)
He was faster than everyone, every time he was on the ice something seemed to happen. Great composure and his breakaway tying goal was like something out of NHL 11.

Old
09-04-2011, 01:43 PM
johnnydrum

Ahhh..im playing as the Mooseheads on NHL11...but sadly, as Im an old codger, Im not very good..lol
I gather he was a high pick , and I was somewhat underwhelmed by his numbers last year, but I am bracing myself now for a bigger season.
Halifax must be a very exciting team to watch.
Thank you so much for the message.

Old
09-05-2011, 07:58 AM
Dgill

I watched the Saturday game as well, I could not get over the speed that MacKinnon has. It was incredible. I agree that Ciampini was the best player on the ice last night. The Moose were actually on a very good role until Hannay got suckered into the fight that would never happen which resulted in a five + game misconduct. I couldn't get over how much Abeltshauser was jumping up into the play and the physicality of Hardie.

It's a whole new era of Moosehead hockey, can't wait for September 16th.

Old
09-05-2011, 08:33 AM
pookeo9

This is the year for the Moose to shine. I know that we can go back on top

pookeo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 10:47 AM
JackFr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgill View Post
I watched the Saturday game as well, I could not get over the speed that MacKinnon has. It was incredible. I agree that Ciampini was the best player on the ice last night. The Moose were actually on a very good role until Hannay got suckered into the fight that would never happen which resulted in a five + game misconduct. I couldn't get over how much Abeltshauser was jumping up into the play and the physicality of Hardie.

It's a whole new era of Moosehead hockey, can't wait for September 16th.
That entire play was disgusting. The crosscheck behind the play, and then the game misconduct for the retaliation and no penalty for the Moncton player . The refs deserved the boos.

Old
09-05-2011, 12:00 PM
mapes

Wow.. I am so out of the loop with the Mooseheads. I haven't gone to games in 2 years (I do look at boxscores every game, though but I had a kid so it's been hard) and never pay attention to the offseason. But the Mooseheads have MACKINNON NOW?!? What in the ****!?? How do I not hear this living in Halifax?

Did our second overall pick ever show up?

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 12:27 PM
JackFr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Wow.. I am so out of the loop with the Mooseheads. I haven't gone to games in 2 years (I do look at boxscores every game, though but I had a kid so it's been hard) and never pay attention to the offseason. But the Mooseheads have MACKINNON NOW?!? What in the ****!?? How do I not hear this living in Halifax?

Did our second overall pick ever show up?
Nope.

But you have to get out and watch them this year. They've been terrible the last two years, but this year they're something special. Frk, McKinnon, Ciampini (the ciampion), Abeltshauser... Unlike the past this team is really fun to watch. They're fast, cohesive, and the powerplay is a sight to behold.

Old
09-05-2011, 02:08 PM
Dgill

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFr View Post
That entire play was disgusting. The crosscheck behind the play, and then the game misconduct for the retaliation and no penalty for the Moncton player . The refs deserved the boos.
I agree, the reffing during the entire game was terrible I thought.

What I love the most about the Mooseheads this season that they couldn't do in seasons past is make clean stick-to-stick passes. There were still some soft passes in the exhibition game, but the passing and break out game is so much better this season. I can't wait till after Sepetember and we see the full lineup (when our guys return from camp).

Old
09-05-2011, 03:04 PM
Pilgore88

How has Andrew Ryan looked? Ranked around the second round for this years draft

Pilgore88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 08:14 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFr View Post
Nope.

But you have to get out and watch them this year. They've been terrible the last two years, but this year they're something special. Frk, McKinnon, Ciampini (the ciampion), Abeltshauser... Unlike the past this team is really fun to watch. They're fast, cohesive, and the powerplay is a sight to behold.
The reason I didn't get out was mostly because I had a kid, not because of the terrible team, though, so I definitely will be watching some. I do know alot about Frk and Ciampini but both have fallen a little since we drafted them, especially Ciampini. I've heard he is projected in the second round now, but he was around 10-12 IIRC when we drafted him but alot changes in a year. Barely any icetime will do that. I don't want Frk's stock to rise too much THIS year because I want him back next year. Imagine Frk and Ciampini staying another year and playing in Mackinnon's draft year. That team would be OUTSTANDING. What are our goaltenders like?

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 11:17 PM
JackFr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
What are our goaltenders like?
From what I've seen awful. It might have been an off-game or something but Terenzio looked unconfident and jumpy all game. Hopefully that will change.

I don't mind Ciampini going in the second round, more chance that the Penguins will get him.