HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Bradley on Semin & the Caps

Old
08-31-2011, 12:51 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

vCash: 500
The Caps haven't played enough series to start tossing out entire series here and there in a player's post-season record. Semin isn't alone, but he's culpable as hell.

There isn't a Capitals fan alive who honestly in his heart of hearts has no doubt that Semin will be productive in April, May and June of any year.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 12:55 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

I don't have no doubt. I truly believe Semin is a playoff player, though. I think that will become increasingly clear over time, to the benefit or detriment of the Capitals (if he is traded as you'd like, or let go).

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 12:56 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
The Caps haven't played enough series to start tossing out entire series here and there in a player's post-season record. Semin isn't alone, but he's culpable as hell.

There isn't a Capitals fan alive who honestly in his heart of hearts has no doubt that Semin will be productive in April, May and June of any year.
I think every fan is skeptical about every player's production when it comes to the caps at that time of year. There are only a few exceptions in the history of the team: Dino, Hunter and AO. Thats it. Everyone else was either streaky or choked. But just because we have doubts doesn't mean we don't believe the said player will be productive. I think Semin gets a bad rap.

The Russian team made a total knee jerk reaction based on 1 game vs Tampa. That was stupid ..in the history of stupid Russian team selection that was near the top.

BobRouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 12:58 PM
txpd

i dont read it that way at all. bradley brought IT out in the media. IT will be dealt with.
the IT is the commitment issue, not bradley. thats how i read it.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 01:00 PM
txpd

Quote:
that can be said about any caps player, coach and the team in general. dont you think?

Old
08-31-2011, 01:02 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Of course. Yet I didn't "FIX" a sentence to read, "I have no doubt that Semin will be productive in April, May and June."

Old
08-31-2011, 01:10 PM
Langway
Proud Mediocrity

vCash: 301
Quote:
You can't win with a player who doesn't care, who is too important to marginalize.
But you can manage his importance in light of those issues and that arguably hasn't happened enough whether it's a consistent second-line center, playing a more structured offensive game that emphasizes work ethic over fancydanglesauce or putting together more a veteran group with leadership credentials. Maybe that dynamic changes with more RW options and more of an accountable veteran lineup overall. That's the hope I guess.

Of course, spending more than 10% of your cap space on a mercurial talent is not generally a very smart way to go (esp. given other commitments).

Vogel blaming the questioner. Good stuff.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 01:17 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I'd veer more towards #2 than #1.

Yes, there are probably ways in which Boudreau could manage him better, but the management shortcomings where Semin is concerned lie more at the feet of the team's general manager to me. McPhee, who I mostly quite like, has held on to Semin for too long, in my opinion. I'm not even sure it's because he believes in him, rather than a fixation on the optimal return.

Anyway, astute coaching of a $6.7M player to be less of a hindrance by reducing his role (and thus ways he can hurt you) is not how you win championships under a cap. Could Boudreau do more to hold him accountable? Perhaps, but I'm past the point where I would have considered Semin a player you can change upstairs.

I don't feel this is a player you can coach up, at the end of the day.

Old
08-31-2011, 01:45 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
can you fill that in with some details? missed the show today

Old
08-31-2011, 01:58 PM
Millhaus

Vancouver just went to the finals and their 2 star offensive forwards, the Sedins, had a very Seminesque playoffs. They were good against the 'Hawks, did little against Nashville, were great against the Sharks and then did nothing against the Bruins.

If you can't go deep with players who don't get it done game in and game out in the playoffs how in the world did the Canucks come within a game of the cup?

Semin the scapegoat for the Caps failures is ridiculous...

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 02:13 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
But you can manage his importance in light of those issues and that arguably hasn't happened enough whether it's a consistent second-line center, playing a more structured offensive game that emphasizes work ethic over fancydanglesauce or putting together more a veteran group with leadership credentials. Maybe that dynamic changes with more RW options and more of an accountable veteran lineup overall. That's the hope I guess.

Of course, spending more than 10% of your cap space on a mercurial talent is not generally a very smart way to go (esp. given other commitments).

You know you bring up somewhat of a good point...perhaps it isn't Semin but rather the whole team around him? Perhaps when Jagr was here it wasn't him but rather what he had to work with?

Think of Larry Murphy and Scott Stevens..why did they succeed at other places but not here? Perhaps they had more to work with on their teams?

Semin is a good hockey player. He needs to be protected by having a big physical winger on the other side of him who will stand up for him. you know Johansson won't nor should he.

I think finally GMGM has brought in some more north south veteran players that we needed. It seemed like the last few years we'd bring up young kids and the years before that we had too many floaters who had no bite to their game like Kozlov, Flash, Gordon, Steckel etc.

Put Semin on the Red Wings and watch him dominate.

I do agree that we need to get rid of the "country club" atmosphere and put an end to optional practices tho. But as far as the play on the ice all I want is less structure and more free wheeling and letting the players go out of their way to make big hits. Thats just me tho.

Old
08-31-2011, 02:49 PM
txpd

gordon and steckel were floaters?

Old
08-31-2011, 02:52 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
They didn't hit anyone. They got knocked off the puck easily. They had zero offense for the most part. Floaters is the wrong term for them tho...softies?

The point is they weren't optimal players based on what else we had at the time.

Old
08-31-2011, 03:04 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Not so much Gordon but I've known a lot of fans were disappointed by the fact that a guy like Steckle with his size (6'5 215) didn't hit more.

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 05:55 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
What Stecks and Bradley seem to miss is that the truth doesn't always need to be told. Should stay in the lockerroom where it belongs. I'm sure Lou will exile Steckel to some unknown island in the pacific for this
That's called burying your head in the sand...

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 06:35 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
They didn't hit anyone. They got knocked off the puck easily. They had zero offense for the most part. Floaters is the wrong term for them tho...softies?

The point is they weren't optimal players based on what else we had at the time.
this is where i think your passion for the physical goes too far. neither boyd gordon nor dave steckel were floaters. i'd say that neither was soft. gordon played physical and signed up for all those tough battles along the boards. he worked as hard as a player can. because he wasnt throwing big body checks he's a floater or soft.

this caps bunch must just about turn your stomach. the defensive dmen in particular. alzner, schultz, hamrlik and erskine this season. that must hurt to even think about.

Old
08-31-2011, 06:43 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

One more day til a hockey month.... just one more damn day!

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 08:26 PM
RandyHolt
I Won a Contest

vCash: 4071
The problem with Boyd and Steckel was that for our 3rd and 4th line centers, they were soft. I would wager we were the only last in the league in fighting majors by 3/4 centers. Probably in hits too, and probably last in PIMs, heck maybe even points. It didnt work. Even Ted has said he wanted to get bigger up the gut. Faceoffs are only good for 1 second of the shift. They couldnt do anything significant after winning the puck. They should dump it in and pound the D. It never happened.

Halpern Laich Sjogren and Beagle should bring more grit.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 08:39 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Halpern Laich Sjogren and Beagle should bring more grit.
grit equals fighting majors? gordon was gritty and a big game player. so what that he was not a pim master.

how many fighting majors this season from your 4 above? i am thinking....1.

Old
08-31-2011, 09:11 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Steckel sucked. Gordon was a useful player and one that any team should want to have. He was a player who could be upgraded, though, and got more money than the Capitals could afford anyway.

Old
08-31-2011, 09:17 PM
txpd

halpern is better than gordon. no question. my point is that gordon was neither soft nor a floater. halpern is a lot of things, but is not an impactful hitter and might fight once a season. not much different than bgordon in that regard. halpern has two fighting majors in the last four seasons. is he soft?

Last edited by txpd: 08-31-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old
08-31-2011, 09:28 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
halpern is better than gordon. no question. my point is that gordon was neither soft nor a floater. halpern is a lot of things, but is not an impactful hitter and might fight once a season. not much different than bgordon in that regard. halpern has two fighting majors in the last four seasons. is he soft?
What I meant to get at is that Steckel may not have been a floater per se, but his impact on the game was essentially the same. Gordon was the opposite of a floater, but wasn't as impactful as a player like Halpern can be (and certainly not as offensively productive). I agree with you about the softness issue, although I would call Steckel soft under almost any definition. He sucks.

Old
08-31-2011, 09:30 PM
HTFN

I never thought Gordon was soft, but he wasn't a real physical presence, and I think this team was sorely lacking that. It's been Ovechkin, Erskine, and who else? Nobody? Pretty much. Steckel was pretty much junk, I liked Gordon (both of them), but really, it's not like this team is going to get less physical by their departure (in fact, probably the opposite).

Mark it in fighting majors, PIMs, or just hits, I don't care, but even Bradley wasn't a frightening physical presence. I think we got at least one in Brouwer, maybe one more in Sjogren if he can hack it.

HTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 10:44 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
You know you bring up somewhat of a good point...perhaps it isn't Semin but rather the whole team around him? Perhaps when Jagr was here it wasn't him but rather what he had to work with?

Think of Larry Murphy and Scott Stevens..why did they succeed at other places but not here? Perhaps they had more to work with on their teams?

Semin is a good hockey player. He needs to be protected by having a big physical winger on the other side of him who will stand up for him. you know Johansson won't nor should he.

I think finally GMGM has brought in some more north south veteran players that we needed. It seemed like the last few years we'd bring up young kids and the years before that we had too many floaters who had no bite to their game like Kozlov, Flash, Gordon, Steckel etc.

Put Semin on the Red Wings and watch him dominate.

I do agree that we need to get rid of the "country club" atmosphere and put an end to optional practices tho. But as far as the play on the ice all I want is less structure and more free wheeling and letting the players go out of their way to make big hits. Thats just me tho.
Throughout the year, there have been a lot of excuses as to why Semin is what he is. This post takes the cake. Really? It's the whole team, not Semin? It was the whole team not Jagr? Come on...

Semin can dominate on any team when he feels like it. The problem is, as we all know....he just doesn't care. Mike Babcock would chew up Semin and his attitude in short time when he went on one of his 20 game, I don't give a crap stretches...

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 11:01 PM
Halpysback*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Throughout the year, there have been a lot of excuses as to why Semin is what he is. This post takes the cake. Really? It's the whole team, not Semin? It was the whole team not Jagr? Come on...

Semin can dominate on any team when he feels like it. The problem is, as we all know....he just doesn't care. Mike Babcock would chew up Semin and his attitude in short time when he went on one of his 20 game, I don't give a crap stretches...
I'm not sure what's so disbelieveable about that. In our two series against the Rangers that we won he was our best player. In our series against the Flyers he was one of the best players. Against the Pens he was playing with a broken thumb, he certainly "cared" enough against Montreal to average of 6 shots a game (if he didn't care I'd imagine he'd shoot much less, that's what I would do if I didn't care anyway), and you might as well say Malkin didn't care about Montreal as well. Blaming the fist**** we got from Tampa on Semin "not caring" does a disservice to just how powerless the rest of the team was after Semin essentially gave them an easy pass through the first round. Replace Semin with anyone in the league and that series goes to 5 games at most. Replace Boudreau, now that's another story.

Halpysback* is offline   Reply With Quote