HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Bradley on Semin & the Caps

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-19-2011, 03:06 PM
  #176
Roccoman
Registered User
 
Roccoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Indiana
Country: United States
Posts: 4,581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
please correct me if i am wrong, but your position has been that the caps are going no where as long as boudreau is behind the bench and semin on the team. all the rest is just shuffling the deck chairs on the titanic. isnt watching when they have no chance more frustrating than enjoyable?
to be clear, it was me who has used the deckchairs analogy a handful of times here... credit where its due mister aristocrat.... mmmkay?

secondly am i am pretty sure Euro and i see this the same way: BB has shown his warts over the last few years (since Montreal really) and the culture around the team has been questioned by numerous sources... and at the end of the day teams reflect their coaches and this team has issues that i truly believe can only be resolved by coaching change OR a culture change (which i dont think BB is capable of).

thats it. in black & white.

Roccoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 03:14 PM
  #177
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,998
vCash: 500
So this comes down to....the Bruce haters don't believe he can adapt, the rest of the fanbase is in wait and see mode. Either way, it's probably a long playoff run or a housecleaning come next summer.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 03:29 PM
  #178
Hivemind
We're Touched
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 13,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
So this comes down to....the Bruce haters don't believe he can adapt, the rest of the fanbase is in wait and see mode. Either way, it's probably a long playoff run or a housecleaning come next summer.
So, the same as every other year?

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 03:35 PM
  #179
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
So, the same as every other year?
Except this time I feel like Leonsis has painted himself into a corner. Stranger things have happened, but Bruce has to know this is it. McPhee put his credibility on the line and should be gone too if this flops again.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 03:45 PM
  #180
EroCaps
Registered User
 
EroCaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 14,643
vCash: 500
When was the last time a coach known for soft, undisciplined, excuse-laden hockey culture all of the sudden became a details-oriented, professional leader?

It's not just adapting a two-way system, it's a series of values. If you don't have the backbone and personality for it you don't have it.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 03:54 PM
  #181
strungout
Professional Killer
 
strungout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 29,220
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
When was the last time a coach known for soft, undisciplined, excuse-laden hockey culture all of the sudden became a details-oriented, professional leader?

It's not just adapting a two-way system, it's a series of values. If you don't have the backbone and personality for it you don't have it.
You've been to a Bruce Boudreau led practice, right?

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 03:57 PM
  #182
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
When was the last time a coach known for soft, undisciplined, excuse-laden hockey culture all of the sudden became a details-oriented, professional leader?

It's not just adapting a two-way system, it's a series of values. If you don't have the backbone and personality for it you don't have it.
None of us know...that's the truth. His lockerroom tirades don't come off as a guy who is soft and undisciplined to me.

If you're a coach and arguably the most talent guy you have, tries 50% of the time and just doesn't seem to give a damn no matter how much you coach, yell, etc...when the Superstar leader of your team gets no results too....what do you do?


Those values have to come from the top. Starting at Leonsis and McPhee.


Last edited by CapitalsCupFantasy: 08-19-2011 at 04:03 PM.
CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 04:21 PM
  #183
HSHS
Losing is a disease
 
HSHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 17,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
You've been to a Bruce Boudreau led practice, right?
It's well documented that Euro's not Ovechkin... so yes he has.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 06:06 PM
  #184
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,998
vCash: 500
Are we now calling Ero, Euro? Is that a joke of some sort?

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 07:14 PM
  #185
HSHS
Losing is a disease
 
HSHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 17,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Are we now calling Ero, Euro? Is that a joke of some sort?
I figure since he's eccentric when it comes to Caps/Skins he deserves the nickname.

ACtually I just ****** up.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 10:35 PM
  #186
EroCaps
Registered User
 
EroCaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 14,643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
I figure since he's eccentric when it comes to Caps/Skins he deserves the nickname.

ACtually I just ****** up.
You call it eccentric. I call it stating the obvious; i.e the Skins have a better coach than the Caps.

Which really shouldn't be a debate.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 10:43 PM
  #187
ChibiPooky
Moderator
Yay hockey!
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
You call it eccentric. I call it stating the obvious; i.e the Skins have a better coach than the Caps.

Which really shouldn't be a debate.
IMHO it's debatable. Both have enjoyed pretty good levels of success, with superstars. Arguably Elway played a more important position than Ovechkin does. Shanahan won some Super Bowls; Boudreau hasn't won a Cup. But football only plays one game per round and only 16 regular season games in which to scout the opposition. Of course that works both ways though.

IIRC Caps fans were still happy with Boudreau going into his second season too.

In either case, my point is that no matter which way you side, it's not a big enough gap not to be debatable.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 11:43 PM
  #188
Icetime
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: LA
Posts: 1,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
IMHO it's debatable.
No. No it's not.

You say both have enjoyed pretty good levels of success??????

And Shanahan.... won some Super Bowls? Like that's pretty good?

There is just no comparison with regards to level of success.


Last edited by Icetime: 08-19-2011 at 11:49 PM.
Icetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 12:00 AM
  #189
ChibiPooky
Moderator
Yay hockey!
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icetime View Post
No. No it's not.

You say both have enjoyed pretty good levels of success??????

And Shanahan.... won some Super Bowls? Like that's pretty good?

There is just no comparison with regards to level of success.
Then show me why they can't be compared.

Side note, he also said "better coach", not "more successful". They're not necessarily the same.

And yes, both have enjoyed pretty good levels of success. Which one hasn't?

Yes, winning two Super Bowls is pretty good.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 12:07 AM
  #190
Icetime
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: LA
Posts: 1,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Yes, winning two Super Bowls is pretty good.
Let's be reality. Ok?

Icetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 12:19 AM
  #191
Halpysback
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,292
vCash: 500
Clearly Boudreau taking naps during timeouts wouldn't be an issue if all these lazy Euros just worked haaardaaar. Where does this Semin guy get off, winning us two playoff series and whatnot?

Halpysback is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 12:39 AM
  #192
HSHS
Losing is a disease
 
HSHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 17,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
You call it eccentric. I call it stating the obvious; i.e the Skins have a better coach than the Caps.

Which really shouldn't be a debate.
It was a joke man. I know you feel justified but to many it's pretty darn funny. Just stick to your guns and roll with it!

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 12:40 AM
  #193
ChibiPooky
Moderator
Yay hockey!
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Then show me why they can't be compared.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icetime View Post
Let's be reality. Ok?

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 01:09 AM
  #194
Icetime
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: LA
Posts: 1,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Then show me why they can't be compared.
Comparing Boudreau's pretty good accomplishments to Mike Shanahan's pretty good accomplishments is like comparing a pile of dog **** to a Rolex watch.

Icetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 01:20 AM
  #195
ChibiPooky
Moderator
Yay hockey!
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icetime View Post
Comparing Boudreau's pretty good accomplishments to Mike Shanahan's pretty good accomplishments is like comparing a pile of dog **** to a Rolex watch.
I understand that you feel that way; I'm just asking for the why.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 01:25 AM
  #196
EroCaps
Registered User
 
EroCaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 14,643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
I understand that you feel that way; I'm just asking for the why.
Mike Shanahan not only won multiple Championships when he had elite talent, but he helped develop talent and the systems that were effective in winning those Championships. He worked with both Montana and Young. He pretty much made Terrell Davis and that running game. He took a QB in Elway who was famously known for failing to win Super Bowls and won two in his last two years. (Which is why people should cut him some slack for trying to do the same with McNabb by gambling with a 2nd).

When you actually break the **** down, Shanny deserves way more credit than restless Skins haters gives him.

Boudreau is just a clown.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 01:43 AM
  #197
ChibiPooky
Moderator
Yay hockey!
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
Mike Shanahan not only won multiple Championships when he had elite talent, but he helped develop talent and the systems that were effective in winning those Championships. He worked with both Montana and Young. He pretty much made Terrell Davis and that running game. He took a QB in Elway who was famously known for failing to win Super Bowls and won two in his last two years. (Which is why people should cut him some slack for trying to do the same with McNabb by gambling with a 2nd).

When you actually break the **** down, Shanny deserves way more credit than restless Skins haters gives him.

Boudreau is just a clown.
Shanahan analysis good, Boudreau analysis non-existent. For the record, I do think Shanahan is a better coach than Boudreau (if you can compare football and hockey coaches). But I really would like to see a well-developed, persuasive argument rather than just "Boudreau is just a clown." I know that may not be realistic on the internetz, but I feel like with a relatively small number of members in the actively contributing Caps HFBoards community, we can express our opinions in a manner closer to actual debate than shouting each other down. Of course familiarity breeds contempt and everybody has their style, but surely we can do better than that.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 02:30 PM
  #198
Chimaera
same ol' Caps
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: La Plata, Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 21,921
vCash: 500
#needslessBradley

Shut up.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 04:13 PM
  #199
Halpysback
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Shanahan analysis good, Boudreau analysis non-existent. For the record, I do think Shanahan is a better coach than Boudreau (if you can compare football and hockey coaches). But I really would like to see a well-developed, persuasive argument rather than just "Boudreau is just a clown." I know that may not be realistic on the internetz, but I feel like with a relatively small number of members in the actively contributing Caps HFBoards community, we can express our opinions in a manner closer to actual debate than shouting each other down. Of course familiarity breeds contempt and everybody has their style, but surely we can do better than that.
We're in year five and Boudreau has just decided to introduce "accountability". You seriously need this "debate"? Should we debate whether the earth is flat as well?

Halpysback is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 04:20 PM
  #200
itsjustsurvival
The Revisionist
 
itsjustsurvival's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: richmond, virginia.
Posts: 1,323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
We're in year five and Boudreau has just decided to introduce "accountability". You seriously need this "debate"? Should we debate whether the earth is flat as well?
http://theflatearthsociety.org/cms/

They will.

itsjustsurvival is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.