HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Chris Higgins back to Montreal

Old
08-17-2011, 04:35 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
Hits stats are probably the most inconsistent stat the league tracks. Comparing it from one team to another is useless. Looking at the stats you'd think that AK brings a bigger physical presence than Kesler or Torres?

And if AK is such a physical player why has he been in trade proposals from the Habs for the past few years while they continue to look to get more physical overall as a team. A team that has long been criticized as being too soft and too small and need to add more physical presence up front wouldn't be at all interested in moving a talented top-6 player who hits hard and add a physical dimension to a team that needs to add more of it.

So.. If he is the physical player you're selling him as - why move him? Why have him so consistently in trade rumours for the past few years? AK in trade proposals seems to be the only "consistent" thing about this guy!
Kostitsyn is physical, as for why he's in trade proposals would be because of his inconsistent efforts on the ice. He's a bit like Kovalev in that some nights he will wow with some impressive skills but too many nights you end up yelling at the tv to move your damn feet. Like Kovalev, Kostitsyn can be a very frustrating player to watch, add to that he's never produced as well as he did in his first full season so expectations were raised only to see him disapppoint each season with his numbers.

Plus this is Hab fans we are talking about, they are so many your bound to see just about anyone end up in HF trade threads many times.

As for why move him? In addition to what I stated above, he clearly doesn't like the coach and the coaching staff doesn't appear to have much faith in him, so why keep someone around that isn't happy being here? Plus he's all but gone after next season since he'll be a UFA.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 04:39 PM
Kagee*

I'd trade Raymond+Oreo for AK, when Ray comes back and is fully health once again.

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 04:39 PM
mstad101

AK is not a fit in Vancouver no matter how much Montreal fans pump his tires in this thread.
We don't want him. You don't want to donwgrade. Why the hell would we trade with each other?
Vancouver won't give you anything significant for Andrei since we have 6 wingers who are just as compitent in exactly what he brings.
Maybe if Andrei was coming of 3 30 goal seasons in a row and had no question marks about his work ethic and team mentality.

Montreal and Vancouver don't make good trading partners anyways, we both have depth in D and goaltending, and are looking to upgrade our scoring with size n skill.

This is Pitts and Nashville trading Dmen. Just doesn't make sense.

mstad101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 04:41 PM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal;36001695[B
]Kostitsyn is physical, as for why he's in trade proposals would be because of his inconsistent efforts on the ice. He's a bit like Kovalev in that some nights he will wow with some impressive skills but too many nights you end up yelling at the tv to move your damn feet. Like Kovalev, Kostitsyn can be a very frustrating player to watch, add to that he's never produced as well as he did in his first full season so expectations were raised only to see him disapppoint each season with his numbers.[/B]

Plus this is Hab fans we are talking about, they are so many your bound to see just about anyone end up in HF trade threads many times.

As for why move him? In addition to what I stated above, he clearly doesn't like the coach and the coaching staff doesn't appear to have much faith in him, so why keep someone around that isn't happy being here? Plus he's all but gone after next season since he'll be a UFA.
That's exactly why the Canucks wouldn't accept this trade. Vancouver already has 2 players that play similar games to Kostitsyn, so moving a player who fits perfectly on a team like the Canucks for him is lateral movement.

Horvat2Virtanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 04:43 PM
Canuckfan4Life2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagee View Post
I'd trade Raymond+Oreo for AK, when Ray comes back and is fully health once again.
Raymond in an injury plagued season put up 6 less pts in 11 less games

Edit
Raymond = 750k less cap hit and his speed is a big plus on our PK units

Last edited by Canuckfan4Life2: 08-17-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Canuckfan4Life2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 04:48 PM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckfan4Life2 View Post
Raymond is an injury plagued season put up 6 less pts in 11 less games

Edit
Raymond = 750k less cap hit and he's his speed is a big plus on our PK units
Agreed. I'd rather have Raymond, Kostitsyn may be better offensively but at pretty much every other aspect Raymond is better.

Old
08-17-2011, 04:49 PM
Canuckfan4Life2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Mars View Post
Agreed. I'd rather have Raymond, Kostitsyn may be better offensively but at pretty much every other aspect Raymond is better.
AK didn't even PK and he got 1 minute more per game on the PP than Raymond and AK will be a UFA next year while Raymond wil be an RFA at the end of his contract

Old
08-17-2011, 04:50 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstad101 View Post
AK is not a fit in Vancouver no matter how much Montreal fans pump his tires in this thread.
We don't want him. You don't want to donwgrade. Why the hell would we trade with each other?
Vancouver won't give you anything significant for Andrei since we have 6 wingers who are just as compitent in exactly what he brings.
Maybe if Andrei was coming of 3 30 goal seasons in a row and had no question marks about his work ethic and team mentality.

Montreal and Vancouver don't make good trading partners anyways, we both have depth in D and goaltending, and are looking to upgrade our scoring with size n skill.
If I'm the Nucks I wouldn't want Kostitsyn either, but if he was coming off 3 30 goal seasons in a row and had no questions of work ethic, Hab fans wouldn't be interested in trading him.

As for the Habs, I actually think they need to improve their defense with more talent, and I think their goaltending depth is shaky if Price gets injured.

Quote:
That's exactly why the Canucks wouldn't accept this trade. Vancouver already has 2 players that play similar games to Kostitsyn, so moving a player who fits perfectly on a team like the Canucks for him is lateral movement.
Makes sense, I would think if Kostitsyn gets moved it will be to a team that is more of a bubble playoff bound team that needs an inconsistent scorer with a solid frame and hands.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 04:52 PM
Kagee*

Quote:
Raymond is an injury plagued season put up 6 less pts in 11 less games

Edit
Raymond = 750k less cap hit and his speed is a big plus on our PK units
Yeah so who knows if he'll ever be speedy again, plus I like AK's goal scoring ability much better than Ray's.

We already have enough two way forwards, we need another guy who has the mentality of scoring goals.

Old
08-17-2011, 04:56 PM
Canuckfan4Life2

Quote:
Yeah so who knows if he'll ever be speedy again, plus I like AK's goal scoring ability much better than Ray's.

We already have enough two way forwards, we need another guy who has the mentality of scoring goals.
in the past 3 years AK has 7 more goals than Raymond

Old
08-17-2011, 04:58 PM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

You never have enough two-way forward, two-way forwards help win championships. Also the last two years combined Raymond outproduced Kostitsyn in goals, assists and points.

Old
08-17-2011, 05:44 PM
Kagee*

Quote:
You want to talk about stats, AK is only one year older than MR, and has shown to be an consistent 20+ goal scorer already.

AK
07/08 - 78 games 26 goals
08/09 - 74 games 23 goals
09/10 - 59 games 15 goals (injured knee)
10/11 - 81 games 20 goals

MR
07/08 - 49 games 9 goals
08/09 - 72 games 11 goals
09/10 - 82 games 25 goals
10/11 - 70 games 15 goals (injured thumb, back)

I think AK47 paired with RK17 would be a much more dangerous 2nd line compared to RK/MR imesho.

Ray tends to shoot the puck right at the goalie way too often as well, and I think his stats are a bit inflated thanks to uber Kesler.

Old
08-17-2011, 06:02 PM
Hugo Sham

kostitsyn instantly becomes a 35 goal scorer playing with the sedins

Hugo Sham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 06:09 PM
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

why would we want him back? (Higgins)

Rscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 06:28 PM
Canuckfan4Life2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
kostitsyn instantly becomes a 35 goal scorer playing with the sedins
I doubt it,more likely AV benches AK and he walks at end of season

Old
08-17-2011, 09:34 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Kostitsyn is physical, as for why he's in trade proposals would be because of his inconsistent efforts on the ice. He's a bit like Kovalev in that some nights he will wow with some impressive skills but too many nights you end up yelling at the tv to move your damn feet. Like Kovalev, Kostitsyn can be a very frustrating player to watch, add to that he's never produced as well as he did in his first full season so expectations were raised only to see him disapppoint each season with his numbers.

That the coaching staff didn't have faith in him is false. Martin used him either as part of the shutdown line with Plekanec or moved him to jump start underpreforming units last year. He wouldn't do that with a player he didn't have faith in. The Kostitsyn/Martin issues are probably more from Martin's tendency to not communicate with his players than a lack of faith from the staff.

Talks to Goalposts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 02:27 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
I agree with NFITO Kostitsyn is only a minor upgrade over guys like Raymond and Sturm, so moving Higgins for him is lateral movement IMO. Value is there but I don't see either teams doing it.
Being a fan of both teams, I honestly cannot say AK is superior to Raymond at this point. He certainly has the capability to be yet never once has shown he could elevate his game to the next level. His only solid season was when he rode the coattails of a motivated PPG Kovalev. The two are different players and I would rather Raymond's speed than the occasional physicality AK brings. That said I would not be entirely adverse to taking a chance he sparks some magic with the Sedins. It could very well be Montreal just is not a fit for him, as we have witnessed with Sergei. Of course, this is under the assumption we deal a pick. Our first is hopefully dead last, so tossing it to Montreal certainly won't hurt us and even if he is inconsistent, he can help on our cup run.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 02:42 AM
Kagee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
Being a fan of both teams, I honestly cannot say AK is superior to Raymond at this point.
Thanks for the insight, to beat another performance by a goalie like Thomas, we need someone with a bit more juice in putting the puck in the net, and if AK needs a change of scenery to do that, what better way than playing with the twins on the powerplay, or riding shotgun with RK17.

Old
08-18-2011, 07:41 AM
KaraLupin
카라

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Swartzwelder View Post
I dont think he would be traded because he just signed a deal

But I would do that deal
This.

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 08:33 AM
neofury*

There should be a rule that if a team just signed a UFA his name shouldn't come up in trade proposals unless it's a 1 year deal and deadline.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 09:08 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

AK is a UFA at the end of the season so I wouldn't sell the moon for him. Would Montreal move him for a 1st rounder?

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 09:17 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Given his personal issues the last time he was in Montreal, I don't think Montreal would have any interest in ever bringing him back. I liked the guy, but Higgins and the Montreal nightlife were a bad mix. Sure AK is also having his issues right now, but I don't think the Habs would swap one headache for a past headache.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 09:19 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
AK is a UFA at the end of the season so I wouldn't sell the moon for him. Would Montreal move him for a 1st rounder?
I think that's more than fair value for him, but I think the Habs would prefer a roster player since they don't really have anybody in the pipeline ready to take on his role this season. If the Nucks were willing to pay a 1st, I think a third team would have to get involved that would take the 1st and give the Habs something they need now.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 09:30 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
Even though it's a late 1st I'm positive they'd do the trade and then use a 2nd at deadline to acquire a replacement.

That being said if it were Jordan Subban's draft year I'd do this deal in a heartbeat, if only to secure a pick in order to potentially move up or use on Subban depending on where he ends up. But this year it's the goalie Malcolm Subban. Still we could potentially use that pick plus ours to move up a few spots. Could be interesting and I'd have to consider it. I want to keep AK but a 1st is tough to pass up.

Plus what if Van has an off year? That pick only gets better. Still I'd have to imagine PG would wait until deadline and/or want a roster player back. (Or at least have one lined up)

If Aaron Palushaj makes it out of camp I could seriously see the habs considering this offer.

AV has had great success with Higgins and Lapierre to me it's worth a shot from Van point of view and losing a probable 24-30th pick isn't that tough to swallow for a 50pt big winger who hits and if motivated on an offensive team imo could be much more than a 50pt 25g guy.

Palushaj has chemistry with David Desharnais though and moving AK would mean DD-Eller-Palushaj potentially too young a line. Problem with trading AK is the depth issues because right now we have three lines, 1B 2A 2B imo. Eller and DD would have to totally bust for that line to be horrible. (First line slightly worse off than a real 1A, 3rd line slightly better than a 3A imo. But a lot of that line is riding on potential right now so it could end up being a 3A or even 3B especially without AK)

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 09:43 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
But I think as soon as he leaves Montreal, he'll rack up more points. A lot of players produce more when they leave the Habs and Kostitsyn really fits the mold IMO.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote