HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: NHL 14 Discussion.

Old
04-13-2013, 12:05 AM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

vCash: 72
OT: NHL 14 Discussion.

Continued from pre-game talk thread.

What are you looking to see in NHL 14? If there were new commentators, who would you want?

Mod Edit: to include trailer:

Last edited by Epictetus: 04-15-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Cor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 12:07 AM
The Newfoundlander
#TradeKessel

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post

Trailer coming Monday April 15th 2013.

Continued from pre-game talk thread.

What are you looking to see in NHL 14? If there were new commentators, who would you want?
Jim Hughson and Craig Simpson

The Newfoundlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 12:07 AM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

vCash: 500
I really hope they fix scoring mechanics.

It's a constant problem with NHL where the same two moves always work. They finally fixed those ****ing one-timers this year, but now if you get a breakaway, speed up, then go forehand-backhand-forehand short side you're pretty much guaranteed a goal. Wrist shots also need to be more effective.

Continuous improvements to defense would also be nice.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 12:31 AM
PasDaSquini

i hope it will come out for the WiiU.

PasDaSquini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 12:32 AM
peety16

I'd like to see new commentaters, not sure who I'd pick. Ideally it would be awesome to have each team's announcers do their respective teams home games. The scoring glitches annoy me too along with the ridiculous falling after bumps and small hits. Ive always thought it would be cool to have some sort of Olympic tourny every 4 years in Be a Pro and if you're good enough, you could be selected to your home country's team.

peety16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 12:35 AM
Doshy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
I really hope they fix scoring mechanics.

It's a constant problem with NHL where the same two moves always work. They finally fixed those ****ing one-timers this year, but now if you get a breakaway, speed up, then go forehand-backhand-forehand short side you're pretty much guaranteed a goal. Wrist shots also need to be more effective.

Continuous improvements to defense would also be nice.
They should improve the deking and stick handling system then, cuz there isn't much variety to what you can do on a breakaway, in a game situation.

Doshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 12:35 AM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

vCash: 1550
I ****ing hate NHL 13, yet I play it several times a week and have over 200GP online and about the same in EASHL. It's a deathly addicting game but it is just so damn unpolished. It leaves you with a sense that this game is a cash-grab and EA really doesn't care about the game, they put out a very, very similar game each year and charge a premium. $69.99 + tax, and then they have advertisements all over the boards (that's fine it ads realism) but then they also have advertisements in the extensive time you wait for the online versus game to start. Not to mention they have the gimmicky HUT that charges an arm and a leg to even be competitive in as well as $$ booster packs for your OTP character.

The menu's take longer than any game I have ever played to load. It is actually ridiculous and embarrassing. The game is wildly inconsistent. I can face the same friend 3 times, with the same teams. One game I will absolutely dominate, the next game I can't score even 1 goal on 30 shots and the last game is filled with 32 penalties between both teams.

The AI is just so bad.. and the goaltenders are either making ridiculous desperation saves or letting softies from the high slot or SUPER SOFT goals in the last 30 seconds of a tie game.

About 75% of the time I turn off the game (win or lose) and feel insulted by how poor the game I just spent 30 minutes ++ playing was. I just love hockey too much and EA has a monopoly on the market.. I need to my hockey fix and I'm willing to take all the stupidity that comes with it.

The commentators just spew nonsense. For example, I can start a game between Chicago and Philadelphia and they'll be telling me how I should expect a defensive showdown because these are two teams built from the net out Not to mention we've had the same announcers for as long as I can remember! How hard would it be to get a few other sets of announcers and have them rotate in and out of games.. This a multi-million dollar game for gods sake! It's really ****ing stupid.

On a positive note, if you make a club with a buddy, EASHL is actually really entertaining. Probably the best simulation of real hockey that there is in the game.

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 12:39 AM
N4Z3M LUPUL

stoked for the trailer..

hope they improved the create a player/team.

N4Z3M LUPUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 12:40 AM
AINEC
Kessel's "intensity"

I highly doubt I'll be buying any future NHL games. Too many issues with it worth listing, but the deciding factor for me was the HUT counting my wins as losses. It wouldn't give me any pucks as a result, essentially making it impossible to progress. Deleted my first team and restarted only for it to start doing the same after a few games.

No thanks, Jeff.

AINEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 12:41 AM
Rielly Good

Live NHL series. But they need to really rework the player attributes in eashl. Snipers have better hitting than a PowerForward. It drives me nuts.

Rielly Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 12:48 AM
Doshy

The commentators are honestly the biggest problem. I always have a Be A GM season as the Leafs in each game and I've pretty much memorized the Leafs commentary word-for-word now.

They add some new player names and short phrases each year, but THAT'S IT. I need some new voices. Remember NHL 2003, with the jokey commentary from Don Taylor? It was pretty entertaining and just reminded you that you're playing a video game. The overall commentary from Hughson was weird and inconsistent, but the colour guy was great.

Here's a good example of it:

Doshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 12:48 AM
Macoun4life

I hate that stupid tie-up thing in front of the net. I especially hate it when the tie-up thing happens and they knock you down and NEVER is an interference penalty called.

I kind of like the new skating, except for the fact that no player on planet earth has to take such wide turns

The load time when you play a season or GM mode is RIDICULOUS. I literally takes almost a minute to sim a game or even to sim over a day where there are no games

It really is one of the worst EA hockey games in a long time, but I played it like crazy when it first came out

I haven't found anything wrong with the scoring, it seems pretty much the same as the past few years, but that's just what I've noticed

I'm sure there are a hundred more tweaks I've seen that were needed, but I just can't remember all of them

Macoun4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 12:53 AM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

vCash: 72
The scoring needs to be fixed, I think it's more of an issue with the goalies. They don't wait out the players, as soon as a player makes the smallest move the goalies freak out.

Just some other notes.

- I think EA needs to incorporate Social Media more, namely Twitter. NBA 2K13 has a social media twitter think in their "My Player" mode where celebrities, fans, and media all tweet about your performance. I think something like that in Be-A-Pro would be cool. Maybe something in Be-A-GM would be cool, where media tweet rumors and fans tweet reactions and stuff like that. I don't know, but I think Social Media should be incorporated more.

- Would be nice to see two different commentating teams, to add some change. Gary Thorne and whats his face are fine, however I find Jim Hughson and Craig Simpson cool in the games, I like Hughsons voice, and there is no Leaf bashing . I would mind the Darren Pang and whats his face that called the Leaf game earlier this week. There were good.

- Winter Classic... get that stuff in Be-A-GM. Maybe have it where you send in an application, and if you get the game you get a like a congratulation letter thing, and you do a presser etc.

- Would also like to see more focus on Trade Deadline and Free Agency. I know I have said a lot about presser's, but dealing with media is apart of the job. I think presser's before (maybe day or two before each) and then one after the deadline (not so much free agency) would be cool, with media asking about why didn't you make a trade, why you made this trade etc. A presser every month? with a question or two asking about the teams status, the major injury on your team etc would be cool too.

- I think injuries need to be cooled down a bit. Players don't get hurt every game. I'm sure it's just an easy code for them to change a notch or two.

- Real coaches... A pretty simple thing, most Franchise modes in every other sport game has it.

That's all I can think of right now... thoughts?

Cor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 01:02 AM
blueNwhite89

NHL 13 was incredible. Sure it's got it's fair share of issues, but what sports game doesn't these days? Not sure why some of you are expecting perfection...

Can't wait for 14.

blueNwhite89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 01:13 AM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLblue75 View Post
NHL 13 was incredible. Sure it's got it's fair share of issues, but what sports game doesn't these days? Not sure why some of you are expecting perfection...

Can't wait for 14.
Because the games barely change from year to year? Same commentators, same graphics, same game modes.. Often the same glitches. They are even incredibly slow at updating rosters while NBA & Fifa get roster updates on a daily basis! They generally make one real, tangible change to the game and add a few gimmicks and release it at the $70 price tag. One year it was the skill stick, the next we saw new hitting physics and the next revamped skating. The game is just such a poor finished product and they really haven't made a new innovation in a long, long time.

There are so many small details they could change to put some pride into their work:
-True to life arenas
-More commentators
-Actual coaches on the bench
-More accurate faces on the players
-More accurate player overalls and more consistent roster updates
-Legend teams
-World Junior Championship
-Actual international jerseys
-The KHL
-Quicker loading times
-Better EA servers
-A vote-kick system for OTP (I've played at least 50 games where we have a self-sabotaging goaltender or defenseman who wastes about ~25 minutes of my time)

So many simple changes that they refuse to address. Oh no, instead we'll make it so the game is like real life! Sticks break, glass shatters!!!!!11

Play another sports franchise: Fifa, MLB, NBA and tell me they aren't vastly superior games graphically and in terms of the amount of work it appears they put into the game. They get 365 roster updates, life-like player faces, real life arenas, their BAP (especially NBA) is like an entirely different video game, their loading times are incredibly quick, they have every international league..etc..etc

Old
04-13-2013, 01:20 AM
glasses91

I hated playing 13' on hard levels because I would outshoot the opposing team 30-8 and lose 3-0.

glasses91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 01:21 AM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

Please add faces to all prospects/players.

I don't even care if they are made up prospects, add made up faces then.

It's so irritating having to play with no faces.

Phion Keneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 01:24 AM
blueNwhite89

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyThoughts View Post
Because the games barely change from year to year? Same commentators, same graphics, same game modes.. Often the same glitches. They are even incredibly slow at updating rosters while NBA & Fifa get roster updates on a daily basis! They generally make one real, tangible change to the game and add a few gimmicks and release it at the $70 price tag. One year it was the skill stick, the next we saw new hitting physics and the next revamped skating. The game is just such a poor finished product and they really haven't made a new innovation in a long, long time.

There are so many small details they could change to put some pride into their work:
-True to life arenas
-More commentators
-Actual coaches on the bench
-More accurate faces on the players
-More accurate player overalls and more consistent roster updates
-Legend teams
-World Junior Championship
-Actual international jerseys
-The KHL
-Quicker loading times
-Better EA servers
-A vote-kick system for OTP (I've played at least 50 games where we have a self-sabotaging goaltender or defenseman who wastes about ~25 minutes of my time)

So many simple changes that they refuse to address. Oh no, instead we'll make it so the game is like real life! Sticks break, glass shatters!!!!!11

Play another sports franchise: Fifa, MLB, NBA and tell me they aren't vastly superior games graphically and in terms of the amount of work it appears they put into the game. They get 365 roster updates, life-like player faces, real life arenas, their BAP (especially NBA) is like an entirely different video game, their loading times are incredibly quick, they have every international league..etc..etc
Geeze, you seem pretty invested in this. Could have used the time to type up an application to EA.

We really are spoiled with this new generation of video gaming.

Old
04-13-2013, 01:35 AM
Darcy Tucker

I played NHL 10 and 12 a ton before 13 came out and the game play has changed a lot, not sure what some of you are talking about. the physics of the puck , checking and skating are completely different and the scoring is more realistic. it's a good game and it has come a long way.

but they definitely need to make the deking better as the only way to get a good chance of scoring on a breakaway is the forehand-backhand move people are talking about. on the right settings tho that move is not a 100% sure thing glitch goal. you really need to get the timing right and read the goalie for it to be effective.

but i hate that every other combination of dekes and manouvers are virtually a waste of time on the breakaway. i can pull off an amazing array of dekes and try a backhand but the goalie stops it 99% of the time. backhands plain out suck and the timing to put some juice on it makes it not even worth trying.

Darcy Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 02:19 AM
Mikey88
NYI GM connected

I really like NHL 13. Playing the heck out of it.. Obviously its not perfect but it does a lot of things right. The new skating engine is great, puck physics have improved, player AI is better than ever, strategies actually work and have plenty of options that you can change to fit the way you like to play. EA still has some work to do on goalies and make them more life like, menus are slow, GM connected takes forever to load, commentators are getting stale but its not really the end of the world. I also miss the 3 stars stepping out onto the ice, the anthems before the start of the game and maybe add some more player celebrations.. Obviously there's no other NHL game to compare it to other than its predecessors, but i can safely say this is the best hockey game I've ever played.

Mikey88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 02:22 AM
TMLife
#teambernier

"That move was slicker than a well oiled otter"!!! Hahahahaha! NHL 03! The good old days

But in '13 my main problems are the load times and the ability to score on a breakaway. It's impossible to shove one five hole or backhand it.

TMLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 02:24 AM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

Quote:
Geeze, you seem pretty invested in this. Could have used the time to type up an application to EA.

We really are spoiled with this new generation of video gaming.
... Sorry that I'm not a complacent fan who enjoys spending their hard earned cash on mediocrity?

Old
04-13-2013, 02:35 AM
blueNwhite89

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyThoughts View Post
... Sorry that I'm not a complacent fan who enjoys spending their hard earned cash on mediocrity?
Seems you spend it anyway. They must be doing something right.

Old
04-13-2013, 03:14 AM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

Quote:
Seems you spend it anyway. They must be doing something right.
You don't seem to be a very logical person.

I'm a die hard hockey fan and a dude in my early twenties.. I'd buy the stupid game even if it still looked NHL 94, especially since it holds a monopoly on the hockey gaming industry.

You don't think a better, more polished game would garner more acclaim and make itself more appealing to a larger sect of the population?

It's a good thing you're not in sales or marketing.. you wouldn't last very long.

Last edited by HockeyThoughts: 04-13-2013 at 03:58 AM.
Old
04-13-2013, 03:25 AM
blueNwhite89

I've been egging you on, lol. I find it amusing how seriously you're taking this. Wasn't looking for the debate club showdown here.