HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Other Sports Thread XI

Closed Thread

Old
08-27-2011, 03:57 PM
anleva

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
Oy! Aside from damning with faint praise, this just isn't true. Orton might not break your back, but he'll bleed you to death with 3-n-outs, red zone failures and ball stopping.
But at least he didn't turn the ball over

Oh, I know. I've watched more than I can stand. The only way I see being successful with KO is by also having a stout, turnover producing defense and a strong running game. Neither of which we have had in a quite a while. His most successful years from a win/loss perspective were when the Bears had both. He was a caretaker.

All that said, it's a new season and hope is renewed. I'm going to turn the optimism switch back on and give Orton and the team a fresh chance, no use being miserable so soon. Go Broncos! Ah that felt good.

Last edited by anleva: 08-27-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old
08-27-2011, 05:08 PM
iAvs
JUST WIN

The Broncos aren't going to renew Orton or Quinn's contracts next offseason so, IMO, they are going to make up for Tebow's missed practicing time due to the lockout and insert him as the starter around game 5 if Orton does his usual and doesn't win the Broncos any games. I mean Elway has been working with the guy... that tells ME Elway & Fox want Tebow to work out the flaws and start playing.

I believe the plan all along was to start Tebow... but the lockout/short training camps & the breakdown of the Miami trade threw a wrench in those plans.

Old
08-27-2011, 08:49 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAvs View Post
The Broncos aren't going to renew Orton or Quinn's contracts next offseason so, IMO, they are going to make up for Tebow's missed practicing time due to the lockout and insert him as the starter around game 5 if Orton does his usual and doesn't win the Broncos any games. I mean Elway has been working with the guy... that tells ME Elway & Fox want Tebow to work out the flaws and start playing.

I believe the plan all along was to start Tebow... but the lockout/short training camps & the breakdown of the Miami trade threw a wrench in those plans.
Or Elway is working with him to see if he can be improved so he can plan ahead to the 2012 draft and if he needs to draft a QB 1st round

Old
08-27-2011, 10:44 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by anleva View Post
But at least he didn't turn the ball over
0.7 percent less anyway.

Old
08-28-2011, 02:04 AM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
I am picking up Julius Thomas in my fantasy league. I believe in this kid.

Old
08-28-2011, 02:04 AM
Colorado Sports Fan

Granted it's just pre-season and it was just the Seahawks. But man the starting Defense looked great. 2nd string looked like crap though.

Tebow was mediochre but he showed flashes of goodness. It took far too long for the Starting Offense to find it's groove.

Old
08-28-2011, 03:54 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HishonHishoff View Post
I am picking up Julius Thomas in my fantasy league. I believe in this kid.
One thing we heard about Fox was he didn't care for receiving TEs. Sounds like Elway convinced him otherwise.

Old
08-28-2011, 11:17 AM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
We missed Dumervil a lot last year. It's going to be fun watching him and Miller this year.

I thought Williams was done for the year the way his arm was wiggling, but sounds like it's only 3-4 weeks. Same with Bunkley, although he may be back sooner.

Orlando Franklin is a work in progress. It's probably best that Tebow isn't starting because it would be ugly with that guy blocking his blind side, combined with Tebow's tendency to hold onto the ball too long.

Old
09-01-2011, 09:43 PM
Colorado Sports Fan

2nd team defense looks like crap.

Old
09-01-2011, 09:48 PM
Rhaego

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Sports Fan View Post
2nd team defense looks like crap.
We have no depth at all.

Old
09-01-2011, 09:51 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Sydquan likely tore his achilles tendon. He's one of the few backup players I like. Outside of Irving and Carter, hasn't been a whole lot impressive about the backup defenders yet.

This team definitely needs more help on the OL. Beyond the starters, and even with the starters, there are huge question marks. Oh well, can't build the team back up after just one year.

Old
09-02-2011, 01:28 AM
Bordeleau Of Blood
Archangel

The real Brady Quinn stood up tonight. Needing only to play a competant half of football against Arizona's backups, he went out and put up a passer rating of 7.6. This is why Mike Holmgren was more comfortable going with Seneca Wallace and Jake Delhomme's corpse over Quinn when he got to Cleveland.

Old
09-02-2011, 01:43 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunbaba View Post
The real Brady Quinn stood up tonight. Needing only to play a competant half of football against Arizona's backups, he went out and put up a passer rating of 7.6. This is why Mike Holmgren was more comfortable going with Seneca Wallace and Jake Delhomme's corpse over Quinn when he got to Cleveland.
Yep, I agree. I watched this game with my old roommates tonight, one of whom agrees that Tim Tebow CAN make it in the NFL, because of his tremendous work ethic, but we've agreed that Tebow has looked mediocre at best this pre-season.

But I was saying, after Quinn threw that INT, that there's no possible way that in reality, Tebow is behind Quinn, there just isn't.

And then we got on the subject of WHY everyone is on Tebow's back ALL of the time, pointing out ALL of his flaws, it's getting ridiculous. My only beef with the media is they're acting like since Tebow isn't lighting up the scoreboards everynight, throwing 250+ yds and getting a total 5 TD's every night, that he's a bust. Last time I checked, not too many 2nd year players are going to be able to do that. When I come back to people with that argument (using Carson Palmer as an example, he rode the bench his entire 1st year) his critics will then say that his "draft position means he's held to a higher standard"...

Uh, last time I checked, Tim Tebow can't help WHERE he was drafted, he can't help that the previous regime gave up that much to draft him (and said regime is no longer with the organization). Hell yes he's a project, but it wasn't like he was drafted in the Top 5, he needs a full season working with a Quarterbacks Coach who will help him get back to his "New Mechanics" that he had last year. Tebow's biggest hinderance was the lockout, it prevented him from being able to have those coaches every day to guide him.

And I'm not even a Tebow fan...I hate Florida, the guy just has a work ethic that makes you appreciate him, he will work hard for all his accomplishments.

Old
09-02-2011, 10:18 AM
thedoctor
                    

I think one of the things that really makes Tebow a lightning rod for controversy is the way that when he's good, he's really good, and when he's bad, he's really bad. He's either throwing beautiful TD bombs while standing in a collapsing pocket or running in circles like a chicken with its head cut off. He's bouncing off tackles and running for a 1st down or he's getting David Anderson absolutely killed by leading him into a hit.

I really liked the way he played like a QB last night. He clearly had been told to make plays with his arm, and he did it well. He's got a TON of growth to do, and the lockout really hurt his growth though. I'm resigned to the fact that Orton will start for this team and Tebow may never get the chance, but it's good to see Tebow still growing out there.

Old
09-02-2011, 10:41 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

I'm not a Broncos or Tim Tebow fan, but I think that they should give him 1st QB gig. They aren't going to win (at least not enough to be anywhere near a playoff spot) with Orton or Quinn and that's for sure, give Tebow the job and see what he can do. They have nothing to lose, it's better to give Tebow a chance to prove himself and gain experiance rather than having Orton as QB and winning around 6 games with him as the starter. If Tebow improves great, if he sucks they'll have a chance at drafting Luck next year.

Or if they have no intention of playing Tebow at all trade him while he still holds some value, otherwise it's just poor asset managment.

Old
09-02-2011, 12:48 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

His TD throw was a thing of beauty. Perfect placement. But he really struggles with short throws. At least he showed a willingness to stay in the pocket.

Old
09-03-2011, 01:25 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Full list of cuts:

WR David Anderson released
DE Jeremy Beal waived
CB Brandon Bing waived
LB Alvin Bowen waived
DT Ronnell Brown waived
G Jeff Byers waived
CB Perrish Cox waived
G Stanley Daniels waived
WR Britt Davis waived
WR D'Andre Goodwin waived
T Adam Grant waived
TE Dan Gronkowski waived
K Steven Hauschka waived
DT Jeremy Jarmon waived
RB Jeremiah Johnson waived
S Kyle McCarthy waived
G Eric Olsen waived
WR Greg Orton waived
DT DeMario Pressley waived
WR Eron Riley waived
LB Lee Robinson waived
TE Dante Rosario released
RB Austin Sylvester waived
QB Adam Weber waived

Biggest surprise is Kyle McCarthy, and that we're only carrying 4 WR's. Thomas hasn't been placed on PUP yet, and rumor has it he'll be ready in 3 weeks.

Sure more pickups to come on waiver wire.

Old
09-03-2011, 01:29 PM
Colorado Sports Fan

I am kinda surprised they didn't keep Cox considering Syd'quan is out for the season. I guess the **** stuff counts more against him.

McCarthy is a surprise too. Guess the Jungle Karma didn't work for him.

Old
09-03-2011, 01:32 PM
Rhaego

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Full list of cuts:

WR David Anderson released
DE Jeremy Beal waived
CB Brandon Bing waived
LB Alvin Bowen waived
DT Ronnell Brown waived
G Jeff Byers waived
CB Perrish Cox waived
G Stanley Daniels waived
WR Britt Davis waived
WR D'Andre Goodwin waived
T Adam Grant waived
TE Dan Gronkowski waived
K Steven Hauschka waived
DT Jeremy Jarmon waived
RB Jeremiah Johnson waived
S Kyle McCarthy waived
G Eric Olsen waived
WR Greg Orton waived
DT DeMario Pressley waived
WR Eron Riley waived
LB Lee Robinson waived
TE Dante Rosario released
RB Austin Sylvester waived
QB Adam Weber waived

Biggest surprise is Kyle McCarthy, and that we're only carrying 4 WR's. Thomas hasn't been placed on PUP yet, and rumor has it he'll be ready in 3 weeks.

Sure more pickups to come on waiver wire.
I bolded the biggest surprises to me. I'm sure Beal, Riley, and Weber all get on the practiced squad if they aren't picked up by some other team. I bet that at least 5 more players are cut though. Were going to have a lot of players that we can choose to pick up in a few hours

Old
09-03-2011, 02:12 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

And there it is: Demaryius Thomas cleared to practice.

Old
09-03-2011, 02:21 PM
ABasin
Beer is good food

Quote:
I'm surprised they have 4 CBs and 5 safties. They must have more moves planned on the waiver wire here in a day or two.

-AB

Old
09-04-2011, 11:22 AM
anleva

Quote:
I'm surprised they didn't put him on the PUP list and look at the situation 6 weeks down the road. I'm not expecting much from him at 8 months from a torn Achilles. Tough injury for a WR to come back from. Also surprised they just didn't put Ty Warren on IR at this point. Make both of those moves and they have 2 additional roster spots for healthy players and waiver pick ups.

Old
09-09-2011, 07:14 PM
Rhaego

With Peyton Manning's neck injury, the Colts are going to be the worst team in the league this year.

Andrew Luck is then going to force his way out of Balt- Indianapolis, and the Broncos are going to acquire him for Ryan Clady...

Sound familiarish...

Old
09-09-2011, 10:41 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

vCash: 69
The colts could be that bad.

In other news, the rockies suck, but it's good to see rosario get his shot.

Old
09-11-2011, 11:31 AM
Rhaego

Fantasy Football Question:

Who do I play at my 2nd Wr slot? Brandon Marshall or Reggie Wayne?

Closed Thread