HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Standings West

Old
08-23-2011, 12:53 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullivangran View Post
Didn't the Canucks out hit the Bruins in that series? I could be wrong here.....
274-214 Vancouver if the ESPN box scores are right.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 01:11 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

1. San Jose
2. Vancouver
3. Detroit
4. Nashville
5. Los Angeles
6. St. Louis
7. Minnesota
8. Anaheim
9. Phoenix
10. Chicago
11. Calgary
12. Dallas
13. Columbus
14. Edmonton
15. Colorado

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 01:23 PM
SupremefartMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
That suggests the Canucks were chasing the Bruins around.

SupremefartMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 01:24 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth JD View Post
1. San Jose
2. Vancouver
3. Detroit
4. Nashville
5. Los Angeles
6. St. Louis
7. Minnesota
8. Anaheim
9. Phoenix
10. Chicago
11. Calgary
12. Dallas
13. Columbus
14. Edmonton
15. Colorado
Shows how important a 1 or 2 seed is. Minnesota would be a very favorable matchup for Van, as would Anahiem for the Sharks.

Biggest Canuck Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 01:39 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
yeah, but in punching people in the face after the whistle, the Bruins were ahead 214-0.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 01:44 PM
SupremefartMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
yeah, but in punching people in the face after the whistle, the Bruins were ahead 214-0.
Don't forget this stat: Bruins won 4-3.

SupremefartMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 01:45 PM
Aquiace
The Goggles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremefartMachine View Post
That would imply that the hits were actually boarding penalties.

Aquiace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 02:40 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
Sorry, but Nashville and St. Louis' chances of winning the Central are much smaller than Detroit and Chicago's.

Nashville got worse this summer, and St. Louis is the same team as last year. All they proved to us was that they can start hot. I think the Blues should make the playoffs but it's getting a little ridiculous how badly some people are overrating them on here.

I can guarantee you that the division winner will be Detroit or Chicago.
Nashville was better than Chicago last year and St. Louis is improved and will be strong if Halak and the rest of their team stays healthy. Nashville may have got a bit worse but they are still a very good team with a goalie like Pekka Rinne. I can see both of those teams finishing ahead of Chicago. I've looked at some of Chicago's new players and I'm not that impressed. If you think their a shoe in for a top seed this year, you'll be terribly dissapointed. Not saying it can't happen, but realistically they are going to have to battle hard to even make the plAyoff's. Detroit is aging, but they are still the best team in the central.

Last edited by nhlfan9191: 08-23-2011 at 02:45 PM.
nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 02:50 PM
digdug41982

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
Nashville was better than Chicago last year and St. Louis is improved and will be strong if Halak and the rest of their team stays healthy. Nashville may have got a bit worse but they are still a very good team with a goalie like Pekka Rinne. I can see both of those teams finishing ahead of Chicago. I've looked at some of Chicago's new players and I'm not that impressed. If you think their a shoe in for a top seed this year, you'll be terribly dissapointed. Not saying it can't happen, but realistically they are going to have to battle hard to even make the plAyoff's. Detroit is aging, but they are still the best team in the central.
So you're saying you were impressed by Cullimore, Boynton, Hendry, Johnson and Pisani?

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 02:53 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
Nashville was better than Chicago by 1 game. The Hawks were literally one win from being the 5th seed in the playoffs. And this is with the Hawks having 5 players that won't play in the NHL this year (Cullimore, Hendry, Boynton, Turco, Johnson, Pisani) and 5 rookies (Crawford, Bickell, Stalberg, Leddy, and Skille) playing significant minutes for them. Despite their record, the Hawks were 6th in goal differential in the NHL....its no fluke they took Vancouver to OT in game 7.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 02:54 PM
Injury Prone Stastny
Can't Trade Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth JD View Post
1. San Jose
2. Vancouver
3. Detroit
4. Nashville
5. Los Angeles
6. St. Louis
7. Minnesota
8. Anaheim
9. Phoenix
10. Chicago
11. Calgary
12. Dallas
13. Columbus
14. Edmonton
15. Colorado
I am not going to bash you for putting my team last, I am only questioning why you think Phoenix is going to finish 9th.

Injury Prone Stastny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 03:02 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremefartMachine View Post
I started looking at the hits per game to see if there was a correlation between hit differentials in the games Boston won being more in "blow out" fashion, or at least being more opened up than the games that Vancouver won. I'm not seeing it. The biggest differences in hits were in two games that Vancouver won 1-0. In one game the difference was 20 hits in Vancouver's favor, and in the other the difference was 18 hits in Vancouver's favor. It looks like it's the opposite really. The games in which the Bruins had complete control the hits were closer. The games Vancouver won they were actually much more physical for the most part, or at least in terms of hitting. I think it suggests the opposite. It looks like Vancouver was able to win the games where they were able to play their more physical style, but then they got away from the hitting in the games that Boston won (possibly because they were too busy chasing the puck rather than separating the skater from the puck)

FWIW, I was cheering for Boston.

Old
08-23-2011, 03:02 PM
Arpi3080
Everybody be cool!

Great to see, that everybody is putting Dallas 9-15, you will look very surprised if they take one playoff spot. The Stars were almost half of the season on the 3rd Place in WC, then the key players were injured, so they felt down. If they stay healthy, everything is possible - you will wonder how less is the impact of losing Richards.

Arpi3080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 03:05 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Injury Prone Stastny View Post
I am not going to bash you for putting my team last, I am only questioning why you think Phoenix is going to finish 9th.
Despite losing Bryz, they still have the bulk of their 100 point team in tact. Their forwards and defense are still talented, and as long as the goaltending doesn't implode, they'll still be competitive. I think they lost a grip on their playoff spot...but I don't think they'll completely unravel like many here expect.

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 03:17 PM
chopkins
Super Bowl Champs

Why is Phoenix in last place?
Why is Colorado in last place?
Why is Dallas in last place?
Why is Calgary in last place?
Why is Minnesota in last place?
Why is Edmonton in last place?

chopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 03:21 PM
flameaholic
#neverquit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
I dumped all over Calgary in the pre-season last year. And earlier this summer I didn't think much of your chances. But I've changed my mind.

I think Calgary will surprise a lot of (western) people this year. First, because this is the last chance for this particular edition to perform. They either produce a playoiff team this year or they will get torn apart. I suspect the players realize this as well and I further suspect they will rise to the challenge. They play in one of the weakest divisions in the league. Vancouver will still take the division, but they won't get as many points as last year for a host of injury/playoff hangover type reasons. Calgary could come flying out of the gate and pile up points (in a reverse of last year) and I think they'll produce enough to be a well placed playoff team. There are still some very good players on this team and I don't think losing a pylon like Regehr will hurt them at all.

If I'm wrong then I imagine the firesale will start by late February and the Flames will then bite the bullet and move the big assets for draft picks and prospects.
I think they will too. I guarantee all you people ranking the Flames out of the playoffs this year will be eating crow at the end of the season.

flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 03:23 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Nashville was better than Chicago by 1 game. The Hawks were literally one win from being the 5th seed in the playoffs. And this is with the Hawks having 5 players that won't play in the NHL this year (Cullimore, Hendry, Boynton, Turco, Johnson, Pisani) and 5 rookies (Crawford, Bickell, Stalberg, Leddy, and Skille) playing significant minutes for them. Despite their record, the Hawks were 6th in goal differential in the NHL....its no fluke they took Vancouver to OT in game 7.
Very well said. That is extremely sound logic, and honeslty is making me re-think my thought process. I hope for a Vancouver Chicago WCF. It would be like a grudge match!!

Biggest Canuck Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 03:33 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
You didn't even mention that Keith and Seabrook had off years, which isn't likely to repeat itself.

Old
08-23-2011, 03:45 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Haha I have to take my hat off to you. You did a great job explaining your arguement for Chicago. I guess my only responce can be don't under estimate St. Louis and Nashville. They could surprise you.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 03:49 PM
The Red Line

Quote:
Weren't they also one loss from missing the playoffs entirely? Didn't they only get in because Dallas lost the last game of the season?

The Red Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 03:49 PM
Crows*

I honestly think Nashville is gonna have a real tough year. I think they miss the playoffs.

Crows* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 03:51 PM
Overkamp

FWIW, THN top 8 are:

1. VANCOUVER
2. SAN JOSE
3. CHICAGO
4. LOS ANGELES
5. DETROIT
6. ANAHEIM
7. ST. LOUIS
8. NASHVILLE

Overkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 03:56 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red Line View Post
Weren't they also one loss from missing the playoffs entirely? Didn't they only get in because Dallas lost the last game of the season?
Correct, my point being people act like they were a bad team that snuck into the playoffs. In actuallity, the West was very competitive and a handful of teams were one win away from being out of the playoffs and the Hawks were one win away from being comfortably in the playoffs.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 04:07 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
I honestly think Nashville is gonna have a real tough year. I think they miss the playoffs.
Possibly, but with their group of two-way forwards, the top two pairings that are set, and Rinne I think they'll continue to be insanely frustrating to play against. That's just the way it needs to be for them to be successful. I think replacing Sullivan, Dumont, and Ward will help the already aggressive forecheck which could be great.

At this point I'd sell my alleged soul for an 18% PP. 5-on-5 offense has been fine. We need some damn man-advantage scoring.

Old
08-23-2011, 05:02 PM
Angelus*
Smile Time!

I think chicago and anaheim is a very interesting matchup, hope it happens

Angelus* is offline   Reply With Quote