HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Standings West

Old
08-25-2011, 11:11 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor No View Post
Make sure to let us know when you've posted your own predictions.
Usually I agree with you, but it doesn't take any more courage or intelligence to post a prediction than it does to disagree with one.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 11:33 PM
hockeywoot

Barring multiple major injuries:

1. Vancouver
2. San Jose
3. Detroit
4: Los Angeles
5: Chicago
6: Nashville
7: Anaheim
8: Minnesota
9: Columbus
10: Edmonton
11: Colorado
12: St. Louis
13: Phoenix
14: Dallas
15: Calgary

1st place will be closer this year.

hockeywoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 11:41 PM
Rhaego

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkatersGonnaSkate View Post
1. Chicago
2. San Jose
3. Colorado
4. Vancouver
5. St. Louis
6. Anaheim
7. Detroit
8. Los Angeles
He gets it

Rhaego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 11:46 PM
crazyforhockey

some food for thought

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1955920/

shows how a few teams survived massive injuries to make the playoffs and other teams that made the playoffs with limited injuries(relative)

and how a few teams missed the playoffs with massive injuries.. never know how this will affect teams

note sometimes a team can have alot of injuries but mostly to scrubs whereas a team can lose a couple of key core guys(ie Anh -Hiller)

or like Det and Van who seemed to get a guy back and another would be injured....... or Van losing "seemingly their entire backend all season long or Pitts with two of the best premier players sitting on the outside for most of the season

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 12:03 AM
HellsBells

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeywoot View Post
15: Calgary
Flames in dead last? Wow, the hate for Calgary on these boards really isn't a myth.

No way the Flames roster as is will finish last place in the West.

IMO, they'll either squeak in (7-8) or fall just short (9-11) like the last two seasons.

Last edited by HellsBells: 08-26-2011 at 12:09 AM.
HellsBells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 12:48 AM
DayNah
Ship it donk!

vCash: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellsBells View Post
fall just short (9-11) like the last two seasons.
That's my guess.

DayNah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 12:49 AM
nukfan94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan View Post
I am holding off on that this year simply because people either lable one as a homer or a kook, or an idiot canucks fan... so why try.

I just know the Sharks are over rated severly. I like the Kings better because their D is over a 7 gmae series better than the Sharks. Mitchell and Johnson especially know how to play that way. The Sharks D has more offense, but less pop especially in front of the net.

Watched the WCF series highlights last night and I was amazed at how bad the Sharks were on Defense. Burns and Colin White are not going to change that.
while i dont think the sharks are overrated, i agree with your stance on the kings

Last edited by nukfan94: 08-26-2011 at 12:55 AM. Reason: mistake made
nukfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 12:50 AM
nukfan94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan View Post
I am holding off on that this year simply because people either lable one as a homer or a kook, or an idiot canucks fan... so why try.

I just know the Sharks are over rated severly. I like the Kings better because their D is over a 7 gmae series better than the Sharks. Mitchell and Johnson especially know how to play that way. The Sharks D has more offense, but less pop especially in front of the net.

Watched the WCF series highlights last night and I was amazed at how bad the Sharks were on Defense. Burns and Colin White are not going to change that.
personally i'd prefer the nucks to go all the way lol...

Last edited by nukfan94: 08-26-2011 at 12:56 AM. Reason: mistake
Old
08-26-2011, 12:53 AM
nukfan94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
LA adds Richards and Gagne, and suddenly they are Conference champions...gotta love HF.

Oh wait, I forgot about Moreau and Fraser...CUP CHAMPS!!!!
i honestly think that they underachieved last year... doughty can be MUCH better than 40 points, the team as a whole is better offensively than 2.5 gpg, and Quick has a lot of potential... i'm not even a kings fan, but i think they are pretty much ready (especially with richards)

Old
08-26-2011, 01:00 AM
Dr Good Vibes

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukfan94 View Post
i honestly think that they underachieved last year... doughty can be MUCH better than 40 points, the team as a whole is better offensively than 2.5 gpg, and Quick has a lot of potential... i'm not even a kings fan, but i think they are pretty much ready (especially with richards)
Agree here. I don't think people understand how well Richards will fit in with L.A. He suits their physical style very well, and he's good at working the puck with the point, then getting to the net for a deflection/rebound.

Now L.A. has Brown and Richards throwing hits on the forecheck, and Doughty and Johnson on the back end. That's so much hitting power. I just think they'll be able to play through anyone. Not to mention having Gagne won't hurt at all either.

Dr Good Vibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 01:07 AM
AvsFan7*

Quote:
Flames in dead last? Wow, the hate for Calgary on these boards really isn't a myth.

IMO, they'll either squeak in (7-8) or fall just short (9-11) like the last two seasons.
They Just missed last season, and there one of the few teams that didnt improve in the Offseason in the West, thats why there projected so Low, I wouldnt say basement(EDM for 1 more year), but unless Kipper and Iggy have ridiculous years, they'll be towards the bottom(Iv said 12/13, ahead of EDM, PHX, Maybe DAL). PHX and DAL are in the same boat as CGY, the didnt improve in the offseason(Actually both got worse), and therefore will fall(PHX Like a rock)

AvsFan7* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 01:25 AM
Crocop*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
So you use the one team in each year that beat them in the conference finals as your evidence that they're overrated and will be overtaken by the Kings? Great stuff. They have been one of the top two teams in the conference during the regular season the last four seasons and there's nothing to suggest that won't continue.
I never said they would be overtaken by the Kings. In fact they've gotten the better end of the Kings last year.

However the Kings have had some good offseason additions and their top players are young and will get better every year (Doughty and Kopitar for example).

Thornton has no more than 5 years left I bet...and he's their star player. Havlat is not even a winner, what has that guy won? Good move by Chicago to get rid of him and get Hossa.

Maybe they will be one of the "top regular season teams" like you suggest (I'm picking them to go second) but nothing will ever convince me they will ever be champions. If they meet a good team in the playoffs you can count on them getting wooped.

Horrible defense outside of Boyle, average goaltending. The Canucks would severely clown them, along with the Hawks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkatersGonnaSkate View Post
1. Chicago
2. San Jose
3. Colorado
4. Vancouver
Really, Colorado number three?

Based on what?

I wouldn't be surprised if they are dead last next to Edmonton. Didn't they have a **** second half of the year last year and get rid of some notables?

Better yet number three and division winners?

Maybe if they brought back a prime Sakic, Forsberg, and Roy.

Crocop* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 01:33 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocop View Post
I never said they would be overtaken by the Kings. In fact they've gotten the better end of the Kings last year.

However the Kings have had some good offseason additions and their top players are young and will get better every year (Doughty and Kopitar for example).

Thornton has no more than 5 years left I bet...and he's their star player. Havlat is not even a winner, what has that guy won? Good move by Chicago to get rid of him and get Hossa.

Maybe they will be one of the "top regular season teams" like you suggest (I'm picking them to go second) but nothing will ever convince me they will ever be champions. If they meet a good team in the playoffs you can count on them getting wooped.

Horrible defense outside of Boyle, average goaltending. The Canucks would severely clown them, along with the Hawks.

Really, Colorado number three?

Based on what?

I wouldn't be surprised if they are dead last next to Edmonton. Didn't they have a **** second half of the year last year and get rid of some notables?

Better yet number three and division winners?

Maybe if they brought back a prime Sakic, Forsberg, and Roy.
Like they were wooped by the wings the past 2 playoffs? Just like lots of fans said the kings would whoop them?

There have been 2 teams that have been in the playoffs the past 2 years that matched up well against the sharks, just so happened they faced both teams in the conference finals.

Barrie22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 01:44 AM
Flamesjustwin

vCash: 463
Quote:

He is a typical Canucks fan, that is why their fan base is considered the worst in pro sports. No surprise here.

Flamesjustwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 01:48 AM
Crocop*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesjustwin View Post
He is a typical Canucks fan, that is why their fan base is considered the worst in pro sports. No surprise here.
Haha yeah right.

Maybe after the riots, if they got that much coverage. Sorry if Vancouver has more people living in it than Edmonton and Calgary combined.

There are way more NFL teams (a way more popular sport) that have fanbases hated in all of pro sports. Or soccer.

The Canucks don't even rank in top ten in pro sports most hated. Unless hockey became huge all of the sudden.

I will say that the Canucks-Blackhawks rivalry = hockey's version of the Yankees-Red Sox rivalry. Haters gonna hate.

Old
08-26-2011, 01:58 AM
VinnyC
trust in linden CREW

Quote:
I will say that the Canucks-Blackhawks rivalry = hockey's version of the Yankees-Red Sox rivalry. Haters gonna hate.
Not really, no.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 02:01 AM
Crocop*

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
Not really, no.
Yep.

Two of the top teams in the western conference for the next 5 years.

Old
08-26-2011, 02:03 AM
Solmors

vCash: 300
1. Vancouver - 110
2. San Jose - 107
3. Detroit - 102
4. LA - 104
5. Chicago - 99
6. Anaheim - 99
7. Nashville - 98
8. St Louis - 97
9. Calgary - 97
10. Minnesota - 95
11. Phoenix - 89
12. Dallas - 85
13. Columbus - 81
14. Edmonton - 70
15. Colorado - 65

Just my guess of course.

Solmors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 02:09 AM
VinnyC
trust in linden CREW

Quote:
Yep.

Two of the top teams in the western conference for the next 5 years.
Yankee-Red Sox is one of (if not THE) oldest and everlasting rivalries in major sports. Canucks-Hawks is mostly a product of frequent matchups during the playoffs and will die a quick death once either team starts sucking.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 02:36 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
Yankee-Red Sox is one of (if not THE) oldest and everlasting rivalries in major sports. Canucks-Hawks is mostly a product of frequent matchups during the playoffs and will die a quick death once either team starts sucking.
Yup or die out once the main players in the said rivalry move on. Just like what happened to detroit and colorado.

Barrie22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 02:57 AM
IndianCommitted
Hello, Duncan Keef

Quote:

I love the Hawks/Canucks rivalry but it is nowhere near that caliber. The Bruins habs and Hawks/Detroit rivalries are much more historical. But still even those will never touch Yanks/Sox

IndianCommitted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 02:59 AM
Crocop*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianCommitted View Post
I love the Hawks/Canucks rivalry but it is nowhere near that caliber. The Bruins habs and Hawks/Detroit rivalries are much more historical. But still even those will never touch Yanks/Sox
I meant on a recent basis from 2009-recent with those two franchises in different leagues.

Of course not as a whole. The Canucks haven't even been around before 1972, lol.

Old
08-26-2011, 04:04 AM
CanuckLuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianCommitted View Post
And it's because of history that these rivalries exist.

If the Canucks and Hawks continue their hate for one another for the next 10 years it could very well be that next "epic rivalry" that we talk about down the road. Just as we talk about the rivalry between the Habs and Bruins. That's how it starts right?

For now I agree that they aren't at the same level though.

CanuckLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 09:50 AM
cgf
Aves Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
Hawks not making the playoffs? St. Louis and Dallas are in? You might need to lay off the bong.
Because teams don't improve while others get worse due to injuries and ****** luck?

cgf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 09:53 AM
cgf
Aves Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
Yup or die out once the main players in the said rivalry move on. Just like what happened to detroit and colorado.
I dunno man, pretty sure wings fans and avs fans still wish nothing but failure on each others teams, but because we don't face each other in the playoffs anymore it doesn't get intensified by high stakes games the way it used to. It'll be back in full force the next time the two meet in the playoffs.

cgf is online now   Reply With Quote