HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Standings West

Old
08-20-2011, 12:46 PM
BoxOfChocolates

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Momentum View Post
1. Sharks
2. Canucks
3. Blackhawks
4. Kings
5. Red Wings
6. Ducks
7. Flames
8. Stars
------------------
9. Blue Jackets
10. Blues
11. Predators
12. Oilers
13. Wild
14. Coyotes
15. Avalanche

Of my picks, placing the Preds so low is probably the one I am going to get the most flak for but having quality players leave every year and getting absolutely no one in return is eventually going to catch up to a team. This team does have an elite goaltender and a solid D group however I can easily see this team being the worst western conference team in terms of goals for and frankly not many teams last in that category make the playoffs. Not even the magician Barry Trotz or Shea Weber's beard can drag the Preds to the playoffs this year.

Secondly I'm gonna have to defend my "homer" pick of the Stars.

"They didn't make the playoffs last year and then lost their best player how can you justify saying that they'll make the playoffs"

Ya Ya I know B-Rich is gone but remember that this team was one win away from the playoffs last year and what they lost in the elite talent of Brad Richards they did a decent job of filling with the depth provided by Ryder, Fiddler, Dvorak, Dowell, Souray, Pardy, and Godard. This added depth plus the emergence of Jamie Benn should counteract, reasonably effectively, the supposed "crippling" of the team after Richards left.

Their placement also has to do with the offseasons of some of the teams above and around them. The Yotes and Preds both playoff teams last year lost significant pieces while getting nothing in return and should drop in the standings as a result. As for the Blues and Jackets, The Blues stayed relatively stagnant this offseason and are a similar team to the stars in terms of goaltending and defensive depth with slightly worse top end offensive talent and offensive depth which is why I placed them just behind the Stars. The Jackets were one of the biggest movers in the offseason but one must remember just how bad they were last year. I don't think that the additions of Carter and Wisniewski really improve them to the point that in one season with them they are suddenly a playoff team.

I also just want to address the bickering about the Avalanche. This team is horrendous. It's not some conspiracy about how were getting revenge on Avs fans cause the Avs were good in the 00's or any crap like that it's just that the team is truly awful. Duchene could put up 100 goals and 250 points and it's still not going to stop the Avalanche from being scored on 700 times. And for those who think that Varly will be the saviour are in for a rude awakening

BoxOfChocolates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 12:46 PM
Goulet17

Quote:
1. Sharks
2. Canucks
3. Blackhawks
4. Kings
5. Red Wings
6. Ducks
7. Flames
8. Stars
------------------
9. Blue Jackets
10. Blues
11. Predators
12. Oilers
13. Wild
14. Coyotes
15. Avalanche

Of my picks, placing the Preds so low is probably the one I am going to get the most flak for but having quality players leave every year and getting absolutely no one in return is eventually going to catch up to a team. This team does have an elite goaltender and a solid D group however I can easily see this team being the worst western conference team in terms of goals for and frankly not many teams last in that category make the playoffs. Not even the magician Barry Trotz or Shea Weber's beard can drag the Preds to the playoffs this year.

Secondly I'm gonna have to defend my "homer" pick of the Stars.

"They didn't make the playoffs last year and then lost their best player how can you justify saying that they'll make the playoffs"

Ya Ya I know B-Rich is gone but remember that this team was one win away from the playoffs last year and what they lost in the elite talent of Brad Richards they did a decent job of filling with the depth provided by Ryder, Fiddler, Dvorak, Dowell, Souray, Pardy, and Godard. This added depth plus the emergence of Jamie Benn should counteract, reasonably effectively, the supposed "crippling" of the team after Richards left.

Their placement also has to do with the offseasons of some of the teams above and around them. The Yotes and Preds both playoff teams last year lost significant pieces while getting nothing in return and should drop in the standings as a result. As for the Blues and Jackets, The Blues stayed relatively stagnant this offseason and are a similar team to the stars in terms of goaltending and defensive depth with slightly worse top end offensive talent and offensive depth which is why I placed them just behind the Stars. The Jackets were one of the biggest movers in the offseason but one must remember just how bad they were last year. I don't think that the additions of Carter and Wisniewski really improve them to the point that in one season with them they are suddenly a playoff team.

I also just want to address the bickering about the Avalanche. This team is horrendous. It's not some conspiracy about how were getting revenge on Avs fans cause the Avs were good in the 00's or any crap like that it's just that the team is truly awful. Duchene could put up 100 goals and 250 points and it's still not going to stop the Avalanche from being scored on 700 times. And for those who think that Varly will be the saviour are in for a rude awakening
Tha Avs have more talent than many teams you have picked ahead of them. If you compare the Avs roster with that of the Dallas Stars, I do not think you can intelligently argue that Colorado isn't a more talented team.

The key for the Avs will be remaining healthy, which has been a problem for the organization recently.

Goulet17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 12:54 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Quote:
1. Sharks
2. Canucks
3. Blackhawks
4. Kings
5. Red Wings
6. Ducks
7. Flames
8. Stars
------------------
9. Blue Jackets
10. Blues
11. Predators
12. Oilers
13. Wild
14. Coyotes
15. Avalanche

Please don't tell me you think Joel Ward, a broken Steve Sullivan, and J.P. Dumont were significant players. Hell, I think we only played Dumont so we wouldn't have to play Belak until he retired. Unless Rinne breaks his spine we'll be talking playoffs.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 12:55 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Picking up a bunch of 4th liners after losing their top forward puts them in the playoffs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Momentum
Varly is a very talented young goalie, albeit one whose had issues staying healthy. The Avs defense will be completely different next year, so to compare it to the one they had last year isn't smart. Last year they were a defense full of small puck movers. This year, they've bulked up with Hejda, O'Brien, a full year of Johnson, and a healthy Quincey.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 01:03 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Picking up a bunch of 4th liners puts them in the playoffs?
I don't know, depth players are really taken for granted in long playoff runs, especially once injuries strike. It's always nice to know you have a Vern Fiddler or Michael Ryder if someone goes down. I only see them getting in if it's the eighth spot, I bet they'll be 8-10.

Varly is a very talented young goalie, albeit one whose had issues staying healthy. The Avs defense will be completely different next year, so to compare it to the one they had last year isn't smart. Last year they were a defense full of small puck movers. This year, they've bulked up with Hejda, O'Brien, a full year of Johnson, and a healthy Quincey.

I think people have very short memories around here, they seem to forget that the Avs made the playoffs the year before, and were destroyed by injuries this year.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 05:08 PM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
I don't know, depth players are really taken for granted in long playoff runs, especially once injuries strike. It's always nice to know you have a Vern Fiddler or Michael Ryder if someone goes down. I only see them getting in if it's the eighth spot, I bet they'll be 8-10.

I think people have very short memories around here, they seem to forget that the Avs made the playoffs the year before, and were destroyed by injuries this year.
It's also nice to have 2 #1 centers an excellent young third liner and a great pk'ing 4th liner. It's also nice to have 5 wingers you feel comfortable playing in the top 6 around those excellent centers. Plus it's nice to have a big strong defense lead be a really talented young kid who's growing into a leadership role before your very eyes. With a number of young guns likely in the AHL just waiting for a chance to play. It's also nice to have a young Goalie who's already proven he can steal playoff games for a bad defensive team. It's also nice having a former conn smythe and cup winning vet mentoring him while starting 20-25 games. If healthy the Avs lineup looks really really nice and deep.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 05:11 PM
WhereIsIt
#gift

vCash: 50
Based on about 20 viewings of the Oilers last year, I can say with some confidence that anyone rating this team above 13th did not watch the team very much last year. An almost AHL level defensive play will nullify any improvements their young forwards take this year. -76 goal differential last year... they are going to somehow have to cut that down to -20 to have a shot at 12th place in the conference. I just don't see it happening.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 06:19 PM
AvsFan7*

LoL Id take the Current Avs Roster over the Stars any day, 2 #1 Centers, an already top 3 Dman with Good potential to be a #1, a Goalie who has Star Potential if he can be healthy, and a Young Power Forward who will be great.

Anyone who ranks the Avs Below 12th either want to see us lose, dont know anything about the Avs and our situation last year compared to this year, or are just ignorant and enjoy annoying people.

Anyway 2 years ago everyone had us Placed in the Bottom of the League, If I remember correctly we Finished with 95 Points that season and forced San Jose to a Game 6, with a MUCH worse team then we have now, we'll see what teams are in the Bottom come next February or March.

AvsFan7* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 06:35 PM
Angelus
Smile Time!

vCash: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fan View Post
Because Avs spent years beating up on teams, now the fans of those tams just want to see the Avs fail.

Revenge is the mother of all **** ups after all.

I can't even imagine what people would say about the Wings if they start to struggle, and miss a playoff.

Bitterness of fans around this board is just too funny.
That's simply not true.

Angelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 06:44 PM
Shareefruck

Isn't Vancouver without Kesler and possibly Henrik to start the season? I don't expect another 1st place finish.

Shareefruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 07:04 PM
Canuckfan4Life2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Isn't Vancouver without Kesler and possibly Henrik to start the season? I don't expect another 1st place finish.
H Sedin is fine and the timetable for Kesler doesn't have him missing many games

“@Ryan_Kesler: Second day back at the gym. Feeling great!! #cantbetamed” 11 Days Ago

^^^
This seems like a good sign

Canuckfan4Life2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 11:10 PM
Thallis
We suck again!

Send a message via MSN to Thallis
Oh look, this thread has come down to the same argument as the last one. Avs fans, people think your team is bad. Just because people think this doesn't mean it's true, but it doesn't mean you have to act offended when they do. You've been a lottery team 2 of the past 3 years, it should be expected that people think your team won't do well.

Thallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 11:22 PM
Goulet17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thallis View Post
Oh look, this thread has come down to the same argument as the last one. Avs fans, people think your team is bad. Just because people think this doesn't mean it's true, but it doesn't mean you have to act offended when they do. You've been a lottery team 2 of the past 3 years, it should be expected that people think your team won't do well.
Colorado also has missed the playoffs only twice in the last 15 years. But I do find it interesting that you found a way to capture the typical mindset of the board of the board in your post.

Your right it doesn't matter, but it is more a matter of who is actually paying attention on the boards. At least in my mind, the number of educated posters are few and far between.

Goulet17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 11:28 PM
Rhaego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thallis View Post

If people think were going to be a bad team because we were a lottery team the last 2 of 3 years . We have 4 players (maybe) from 2009. Last year was an injury riddled year where we gave up after the trade deadline.

Edit: what he said^^^

Rhaego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 11:29 PM
Kaner Coffee
Anna for Hart Trophy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckfan4Life2 View Post
H Sedin is fine and the timetable for Kesler doesn't have him missing many games

“@Ryan_Kesler: Second day back at the gym. Feeling great!! #cantbetamed” 11 Days Ago

^^^
This seems like a good sign
This will sound like trolling, and yeah, I am a Kesler-hater, but...could he be any more of a tool?

Kaner Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 11:31 PM
Kaner Coffee
Anna for Hart Trophy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fan View Post
Because Avs spent years beating up on teams, now the fans of those tams just want to see the Avs fail.

Revenge is the mother of all **** ups after all.

I can't even imagine what people would say about the Wings if they start to struggle, and miss a playoff.

Bitterness of fans around this board is just too funny.
When that day comes, I shall dance for hours.

Kaner Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 11:31 PM
zombi
I D D Q D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner Coffee View Post
This will sound like trolling, and yeah, I am a Kesler-hater, but...could he be any more of a tool?
He's giving Patty Kane a run for his money

zombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 11:35 PM
falconski
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goulet17 View Post
Colorado also has missed the playoffs only twice in the last 15 years. But I do find it interesting that you found a way to capture the typical mindset of the board of the board in your post.

Your right it doesn't matter, but it is more a matter of who is actually paying attention on the boards. At least in my mind, the number of educated posters are few and far between.
three times, you forgot Theodore causing us to miss the playoffs in 07

falconski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 11:40 PM
Canuckfan4Life2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner Coffee View Post
If Kesler is a tool what does that make a guy who beats up a cab driver??

Old
08-20-2011, 11:53 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckfan4Life2 View Post
If Kesler is a tool what does that make a guy who beats up a cab driver??
Ah, the day has not yet come for people to realize that James Kane is not the same person as Patrick Kane

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 12:00 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

1. Vancouver
2. San Jose
3. Detroit
4. Chicago
5. LA
6. Anaheim
7. Nashville
8. St. Louis
9. Dallas
10. Minnesota
11. Calgary
12. Colorado
13. Columbus
14. Pheonix
15. Edmonton

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 12:02 AM
Canuckfan4Life2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
Ah, the day has not yet come for people to realize that James Kane is not the same person as Patrick Kane
"One guy pays and the other guy grabs me by the throat, Patrick Kane, turned out to be a hockey player -- I don't know who they are," Radecki told CLTV in Buffalo about the incident involving the Blackhawks star and his cousin James.

"I didn't have 20 cents to give change. I said I don't have change . . .the one Kane is choking me, the other is punching me, 'Don't you know who I am? Don't you know who I am? You're messing with the wrong people.'"

Old
08-21-2011, 12:04 AM
hockeyfreak7

1. San Jose (Presidents Trophy)
2. Chicago
3. Vancouver
4. Colorado
5. Anaheim
6. Los Angeles
7. Columbus
8. Detroit
---
9. St. Louis
10. Edmonton
11. Minnesota
12. Nashville
13. Calgary
14. Phoenix
15. Dallas

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 12:05 AM
eldiablo17

Fighting for #1 Seed:
SJ
Vancouver
- Every other team has too many question marks (Detroit/Chicago) or have improved but we just don't know how much yet (LA)

Guaranteed Playoff Team
Chicago
Detroit
LA
- All potential contenders

Playoff Caliber Team
Anaheim
Nashville
- Should make the playoff but could just as easily miss if they go through some rough times

Playoff Fringe
Calgary
Minnesota
St. Louis
Columbus

Outside the Playoffs
Colorado
Dallas
Edmonton
Phoenix

I can see any of these teams going up or going down one group depending on their play but not more than that.

eldiablo17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 12:09 AM
JannikAtTheDisco
No panic it's Jannik

1. Vancouver
2. Los Angeles
3. Detroit
4. San Jose
5. Chicago
6. Nashville