HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Standings West

Old
08-22-2011, 10:29 AM
cgf

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFanInCanada View Post
man Avalanche fans get so defensive ... Relax it's just predictions from random people! I know how you feel, everyone is predicting Stars to finish at the bottom of the standings, but why do I cares. If you know the Avs will do better wait till 30-40 games into the season and if they are doing well just bump the thread. There is your revenge.

I got a bad head ache and I'm typing on an iPod touch, my grammar might not be so good give me a break
I don't want revenge. I just want to talk about hockey and my team. *shrug* This is a team for predictions for next season so why shouldn't I talk about how I think my team will do. You don't have me quoting posts like the one after yours railing against the crass negativity and stupidity. I just like to know whether people really have seen the players play and have a different outlook on them than me or whether people are just assuming that because injuries turned Porter and Yip into top line wingers last year the team will be of the same caliber this year.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 10:30 AM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyhawk View Post
Did Chicago change conferences ??
Probably just changed their name to Nashville for his post...

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 02:08 PM
JeffMangum
~Dylan~

1. San Jose
2. Chicago
3. Vancouver
4. Los Angeles
5. Detroit
6. St. Louis
7. Minnesota
8. Columbus
------------------
9. Anaheim
10. Nashville
11. Calgary
12. Colorado
13. Dallas
14. Phoenix
15. Edmonton

Everything about you is bringing me misery.
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 02:30 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
1. San Jose
2. Chicago
3. Vancouver
4. Los Angeles
5. Detroit
6. St. Louis
7. Minnesota
8. Columbus
------------------
9. Anaheim
10. Nashville
11. Calgary
12. Colorado
13. Dallas
14. Phoenix
15. Edmonton
Columbus and Minnesota over Anaheim and Nashville. Not likely. Chicago in second place over Vancouver. Not going to happen.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 03:53 PM
36kap36

1. Vancouver
2. Chicago
3. San Jose/LA
4. San Jose/LA
5. Detroit
6. Nashville
7. Anaheim
8. Columbus
---------------
9. St. Louis
10. Calgary
11. Minnesota
12. Colorado
13. Dallas
14. Edmonton
15. Phoenix

36kap36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 04:16 PM
Chris Hansen
Church of Versteeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
Columbus and Minnesota over Anaheim and Nashville. Not likely. Chicago in second place over Vancouver. Not going to happen.
Vancouver will win their division but them being in 3rd is certainly a distinct possibility.
People really do underrate the fatigue factor carrying over from the prior season. All players who make it to the SCF spend less of their summer working out (since their summer itself is much shorter), need to rehab injuries, etc...
Vancouver could be any of 1st, 2nd, or 3rd, I think... but that's just my opinion.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 04:50 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameaholic View Post
This is HF, what do you expect? Realistically I think they'll battle for one of the last two playoff spots.

On a side note, is anyone else tired of seeing Detroit and San Jose always in the playoffs? Red Wings have made the playoffs 20 straight seasons and San Jose has to be the most overrated team in the league.
yes a team that has made the playoffs 7 straight seasons, with all 7 being top 5 finishes, and 5 of them being top 3 is really over rated.

must be hard to believe that a team that got even better during the offseason, wouldn't just keep on chugging along and push there division winners up to there 5th straight one.

Barrie22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 04:54 PM
FlameChampion

1. San Jose
2. Vancouver
3. Chicago
4. LA
5. Detroit

6 Anahiem
7 Nashville
8 St. Louis

9 Calgary
10 Colorado
11 Dallas

12 Columbus
13 Minnesota
14 Phoenix
15 Edmonton

I think 1-5 are pretty much locks. I think Detroit could easily win the division, but my gut feeling is that Chicago will have a bounce back year and win the division.

6-8 are all playoff fringe teams. Those teams have a high probability of making the playoffs imo but a team from 9-11 could sneak in.

Teams 12-15 I dont really see challenging for a playoff spot however it wouldnt suprise me really if 12-14 had a solid year and made it in.

FlameChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 05:08 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
Vancouver will win their division but them being in 3rd is certainly a distinct possibility.
People really do underrate the fatigue factor carrying over from the prior season. All players who make it to the SCF spend less of their summer working out (since their summer itself is much shorter), need to rehab injuries, etc...
Vancouver could be any of 1st, 2nd, or 3rd, I think... but that's just my opinion.
Your absolutely right about Vancouver. I just think the chance of Chicago finishing ahead of them is next to none. That being said, I'm not saying Chicago is a bad team at all. Just not a second place team.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 06:40 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Yep my take on it as well.

One thing the Canucks have going for them, not the division, but I think most people on these boards have taken last years run as their only run. Alot of people are underestimating them.

"Sure a playoff team, but easiest to be upset"

Go through this thread. Vancouver is constantly being "upset". I saw one St. Louis beating the canucks. Yes everyone is entitled to their opinion. Just an interesting thought that I think will carry over into the regular season.

Most teams will expect the Canucks to be a tired, overwhelmed team because of their run, and as a result will take them lightly.

Could they finish 3rd? Absolutely because of what you said. But I also think the general lack of respect people are giving the team will translate on the ice as well.

Biggest Canuck Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 06:45 PM
36kap36

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameChampion View Post
1. San Jose
2. Vancouver
3. Chicago
4. LA
5. Detroit

6 Anahiem
7 Nashville
8 St. Louis

9 Calgary
10 Colorado
11 Dallas

12 Columbus
13 Minnesota
14 Phoenix
15 Edmonton

I think 1-5 are pretty much locks. I think Detroit could easily win the division, but my gut feeling is that Chicago will have a bounce back year and win the division.

6-8 are all playoff fringe teams. Those teams have a high probability of making the playoffs imo but a team from 9-11 could sneak in.

Teams 12-15 I dont really see challenging for a playoff spot however it wouldnt suprise me really if 12-14 had a solid year and made it in.
I don't agree with most of those groups....Phoenix will be last IMO, no question about it. Columbus under Dallas and Colorado? They are at least fighting for the spot. I'd widen it from about 6-11, then make that list. I just don't see some of those as right.

36kap36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 06:57 PM
Chris Hansen
Church of Versteeg

Quote:
Your absolutely right about Vancouver. I just think the chance of Chicago finishing ahead of them is next to none. That being said, I'm not saying Chicago is a bad team at all. Just not a second place team.
Chicago finishing ahead of them is perfectly possible.

The Wings and Hawks are both very capable of winning the Central. If you want a solid explanation as to why the Hawks will be better than they were last year, look up the user "zac" and read some of his latest posts. He sums things up very well.

If Vancouver's fatigue takes a big hit on them (as it did on the Hawks last year, I should point out), then them finishing third is a good possibility. If the Hawks win their division (also quite feasible), then second in the conference is not out of the question in the least.

Old
08-22-2011, 06:58 PM
Chris Hansen
Church of Versteeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan View Post
Yep my take on it as well.

One thing the Canucks have going for them, not the division, but I think most people on these boards have taken last years run as their only run. Alot of people are underestimating them.

"Sure a playoff team, but easiest to be upset"

Go through this thread. Vancouver is constantly being "upset". I saw one St. Louis beating the canucks. Yes everyone is entitled to their opinion. Just an interesting thought that I think will carry over into the regular season.

Most teams will expect the Canucks to be a tired, overwhelmed team because of their run, and as a result will take them lightly.

Could they finish 3rd? Absolutely because of what you said. But I also think the general lack of respect people are giving the team will translate on the ice as well.
I agree that the Canucks get disrespected as a team more than they deserve. As a guy who dislikes the team tremendously, I can still admit that there is an abundance of talent in Vancouver... enough to, at the very least, put them in the top-5 of my "Cup Contenders" list for next season.

Old
08-22-2011, 07:02 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Quote:
Chicago finishing ahead of them is perfectly possible.

The Wings and Hawks are both very capable of winning the Central. If you want a solid explanation as to why the Hawks will be better than they were last year, look up the user "zac" and read some of his latest posts. He sums things up very well.

If Vancouver's fatigue takes a big hit on them (as it did on the Hawks last year, I should point out), then them finishing third is a good possibility. If the Hawks win their division (also quite feasible), then second in the conference is not out of the question in the least.
I would go a step further... I think first is certainly in view. I mean it blows me away the respect the Sharks are getting, when they will be in a 3 way war with the Kings and Ducks. Them winning their own division is uncertain let alone 1st in the WC.

Hawks are in a tough division, but only if the Jackets and Blues improve like their fans and GM expect them to. otherwise it is a 2 horse race for the Central crown.

Old
08-22-2011, 07:02 PM
Hold the Pickles

Quote:
.... But I also think the general lack of respect people are giving the team will translate on the ice as well.
I pretty much agree with your post except I'm not sure about this last part. Are teams/organizations showing Vancouver a lack of respect, or is it just their fans? Not sure how a lack of respect from the oppositions fans would translate to a team not taking Vancouver seriously and it translating on the ice.

Hold the Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 07:04 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Yes because each year we have the same conference winners and the same eight teams make the playoffs in each conference

In fact, I'd say it's more likely to have Columbus and Minnesota in the playoffs than it is for what you're saying.

Seriously I dont see why people love to hate on predictions that have surprise teams in them. Each year there are surprise storylines are there not?

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 07:08 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold the Pickles View Post
I pretty much agree with your post except I'm not sure about this last part. Are teams/organizations showing Vancouver a lack of respect, or is it just their fans? Not sure how a lack of respect from the oppositions fans would translate to a team not taking Vancouver seriously and it translating on the ice.
Well everyone played the Hawks hard last year cause the general consensus was they were still a cup contender, were still tough etc... instead we saw the loss of depth crushing them.

So this off season most are thinking the Canucks are too fatigued and injured to make any noise for the post season, some 9 months away!! Vancouver should be relatively healthy come playoff time, and with some additions as well.

Old
08-22-2011, 07:09 PM
Chris Hansen
Church of Versteeg

Quote:
I would go a step further... I think first is certainly in view. I mean it blows me away the respect the Sharks are getting, when they will be in a 3 way war with the Kings and Ducks. Them winning their own division is uncertain let alone 1st in the WC.

Hawks are in a tough division, but only if the Jackets and Blues improve like their fans and GM expect them to. otherwise it is a 2 horse race for the Central crown.
Agreed. I suppose any place in the conference is a distinct possibility. As a fan I'd obviously prefer it not to happen... but Chicago could just as easily falter completely, prove all of us Hawk fans wrong, and repeat last year's performance... or worse. All signs point in the opposite direction of that, of course, but it is still in the realm of possibility.

I have to concur with your San Jose sentiments. People are so quick to label a team as "BESTOMG!!!111" before they have even stepped on the ice as a unit. Maybe Burns is a bad fit? Maybe Havlat can't find his niche (he hasn't since he left Chicago, honestly)?

The Jackets should be better but count me in the camp of nonbelievers. People seem to look past their shoddy goaltending. If Mason rebounds, then all Jackets fans have permission to make fun of me. I'm not a big fan of their defense either, to be honest.

The Blues... an interesting team. They could go anywhere from 2nd or 3rd in the conference to 11th or 12th, it seems. That team really is unpredictable. In the last two years, they've underachieved terribly one year and gotten hit by an awful injury bug in the other. They're a tough team to gauge, but at this point I don't see them being quite strong enough to challenge for the division.

I respect Nashville and their coaching staff, but that offense is not going to win them the Central. Playoffs, as always for the Preds, are more than likely.

Old
08-22-2011, 07:17 PM
Chris Hansen
Church of Versteeg

Quote:
Well everyone played the Hawks hard last year cause the general consensus was they were still a cup contender, were still tough etc... instead we saw the loss of depth crushing them.

So this off season most are thinking the Canucks are too fatigued and injured to make any noise for the post season, some 9 months away!! Vancouver should be relatively healthy come playoff time, and with some additions as well.
In fairness, the Hawks probably received just as little respect last offseason as the Canucks are now. Of course, I am strictly referring to HF since I can't speak for the whole hockey-viewing world.
During the 2010 offseason, "loss of depth" was the reason everyone cited for a drop in the standings for Chicago. They were half right... the Hawks did drop, but as a fan who watched all 82 of their games, it wasn't for the reason everyone thought at all.
It was almost all fatigue. The lack of chemistry didn't help either (note that "lack of chemistry" is a very different thing from "loss of depth").

All that said, I don't think Vancouver will be affected even near as badly as Chicago was. I can't really say why... call it a gut feeling, if you like.
My guess right now is 2nd in the West for the Canucks.

Last edited by Chris Hansen: 08-22-2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old
08-22-2011, 07:21 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Quote:
Agreed. I suppose any place in the conference is a distinct possibility. As a fan I'd obviously prefer it not to happen... but Chicago could just as easily falter completely, prove all of us Hawk fans wrong, and repeat last year's performance... or worse. All signs point in the opposite direction of that, of course, but it is still in the realm of possibility.

I have to concur with your San Jose sentiments. People are so quick to label a team as "BESTOMG!!!111" before they have even stepped on the ice as a unit. Maybe Burns is a bad fit? Maybe Havlat can't find his niche (he hasn't since he left Chicago, honestly)?

The Jackets should be better but count me in the camp of nonbelievers. People seem to look past their shoddy goaltending. If Mason rebounds, then all Jackets fans have permission to make fun of me. I'm not a big fan of their defense either, to be honest.

The Blues... an interesting team. They could go anywhere from 2nd or 3rd in the conference to 11th or 12th, it seems. That team really is unpredictable. In the last two years, they've underachieved terribly one year and gotten hit by an awful injury bug in the other. They're a tough team to gauge, but at this point I don't see them being quite strong enough to challenge for the division.

I respect Nashville and their coaching staff, but that offense is not going to win them the Central. Playoffs, as always for the Preds, are more than likely.
If the Jackets and Blues improve then the Preds will be in a fight for the playoffs.

The West will be much closer this year, as the Oilers will be a much better team. I expect the Flames to fall quite a bit, as will the Yotes and Stars who IMO will battle for first overall in the draft. I expect the Canucks to be in the Morrow sweepstakes when the Stars are no longer in the playoff picture.

Old
08-22-2011, 07:26 PM
Arrch

Quote:
I think the Kings were given more of that ZOMG BEST TEM N PAC! after their moves, and they have just as much questions about chemistry as the Sharks...

Arrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 07:29 PM
Chris Hansen
Church of Versteeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacto4Now View Post
I think the Kings were given more of that ZOMG BEST TEM N PAC! after their moves, and they have just as much questions about chemistry as the Sharks...
I would certainly add LA into that "unproven group," now that you bring them up. I didn't mention them because they weren't in the post that I quoted

San Jose and LA have both received plenty of hype simply based on their on-paper rosters. We'll see how everything plays out.

Old
08-22-2011, 07:49 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Quote:
I would certainly add LA into that "unproven group," now that you bring them up. I didn't mention them because they weren't in the post that I quoted

San Jose and LA have both received plenty of hype simply based on their on-paper rosters. We'll see how everything plays out.
Difference in the Kings and Sharks is the Kings core is young and Improving, the Sharks core is aging and in all honesty I personally believe on a down swing. Thornton, Marleau especially have hit their peak. I love Pavelski and Couture, and if they can be the 1st liners and allow Thornton and Marleau to be high producing 2nd liners then it is different. I also like the Kings D way more than the Sharks. Doughty alone, combined with Johnson makes me pick them over the Sharks.

But I also like the Kings bottom depth compared to the Sharks, where I am convinced the Sharks are going to be hurt the most. Shut down the top 2 lines and you shut down the Sharks.

Kings still have some depth in the bottom 6 to score some goals when needed.

Old
08-22-2011, 07:53 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:

All that said, I don't think Vancouver will be affected even near as badly as Chicago was. I can't really say why... call it a gut feeling, if you like.
My guess right now is 2nd in the West for the Canucks.
Raymond/Kesler will be out for the first 1-2 months of the season, so could Hamhuis. Luongo is also a notorious slow starter. I wouldn't be surprised if the Canucks found themselves in a similar situation as the Sharks last year in the first half of the season, in the middle of the pack.

Plus the team has been tremendously successful with regular season positioning/awards but Lord Stanley is still missing. I can definitively see the core sparing themselves a bit so they can play on full gear during the playoffs.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 07:56 PM
Ollie Weeks

I really want to see Calgary and Columbus make the playoffs this year.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote