Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Difference slapping the puck ice vs. inline

10-06-2014, 03:39 PM
vCash: 500
Difference slapping the puck ice vs. inline

I have been playing ice and inline for the last couple of years picking the game up after the age of 40. I play inline in the summer and ice in the winter when the ice rink closest to my home opens in the fall. I suck at both, but that is besides the point. I have developed a pretty good slapshot in inline. I can shot it high or low (not always intentionally) without much trouble. I went to the ice rink with my son for stick and puck for the first time this season and quickly relized that I had a hard time not mis-hitting my slapper. I hit one or two decent ones but most of them didn't get 5 inches off the ice, if at all. I definitely could shoot them better last year but still not as good as on an inline rink (at least that is what I remember, but then again my memory is going). There is definitely more friction on an inline rink and the puck is much lighter. I am thinking I need to try to flex the stick more or hit further behind the puck. Any tips would be appreciated!

Oldmanbender13 is offline   Reply With Quote
10-06-2014, 07:35 PM
Do you use the same stick for inline as you use for ice? If not that could be a reason why your shot is different. Other than that, The best advice I can give you is follow through high and the puck will go high, follow through low and the puck will stay low. Without actually seeing your shot though, its hard to say what's wrong with your slapper.

WickedWinger is offline   Reply With Quote
10-06-2014, 07:42 PM
Eazy for Kuzy
Same old Caps
vCash: 840
I'd say hit the ice further back. On the ground, you can afford to hit the ground right behind the puck because the drag allows you to load your stick.

Since there's little to no drag on the ice, you have to load your stick by hitting the ice 6 to 12 inches behind the puck.

I find that flexing the stick properly on a slap shot helps to raise the puck.

Shooting slap shots very low is more important than rifling them top shelf. If you're a defenseman, forwards will love ya. They won't be afraid to stand in front of it, and it's a lot easier to deflect it.

I'm a forward, and my best asset in the game is my slap shot. Since there is no one between me and the net when I wind up, I shoot high most of the time. Besides, I use a very open toe curve, so for me, it's top shelf or bust

Eazy for Kuzy is online now   Reply With Quote
10-07-2014, 04:31 AM
Yeah, the clear difference is that on ice...you can take some ice with your shot. On concrete/sportfloor/whatever, you can't. Loads up the stick a bit differently.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
10-07-2014, 05:34 AM
I've been practicing slapshots on a plastic sheet in the backyard and got em pretty good, like 12" off the ground, and real rockets.

When I got on ice I could hardly get em off the ground like 1 in 10 times.

I started to come to similar conclusions as the poster above, ie that less friction on the ice meant my stick didn't get loaded. But I never thought of hitting further back. I'll give it a try next time out.

Also, I wondered if I was less stable and had less good weight transfer on ice than on dry land and whether this was affecting things.

TheRedShadow is offline   Reply With Quote