HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Fresh starts

Old
08-21-2011, 12:35 AM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

vCash: 500
Fresh starts

Vancouver:
Komisarek 4.5 mill until 2014

Toronto:
Ballard 4.2 mill until 2015
3rd

Very similar contracts, and situations. Both of these guys were a lot better before coming to Toronto and Vancouver. Toronto gets a late pick because Ballard's contract is a year longer.

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 12:38 AM
getyourselfsomerest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs87 View Post
Vancouver:
Komisarek 4.5 mill until 2014

Toronto:
Ballard 4.2 mill until 2015
3rd

Very similar contracts, and situations. Both of these guys were a lot better before coming to Toronto and Vancouver. Toronto gets a late pick because Ballard's contract is a year longer.
No deal. I'd rather keep Komisarek.

getyourselfsomerest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 12:39 AM
LeafsFan2342
#CallupColborne

deal from leafs

LeafsFan2342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 12:46 AM
HockeyFanSince86
The Team People Love

Why ?

These are pro's not prospects, unless there is a legit issue with Komi why not trust he will be better this season ?

What if he does turn it around, and we just shipped him off for a guy that still sucks and has a contract that is even longer than Komi's. It makes no sense it is a lateral move at best and is a huge gamble, considering we already know what we are getting out of Komi, Ice time and coaching have been adjusted for it.

If I am going to be perfectly honest I would say that if both of them have Career years I would rather have Komi than Ballard.

HockeyFanSince86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 12:50 AM
PAZ

vCash: 50
I don't see how this helps the Canucks at all. A lot of their fans (and it seems management as well) think Ballard will have a bounceback year, and really it's not worth trading him when his value is so low. They need Ballard as the PMD, if they didn't have faith in him they would've dumped him and resigned hoff.

Also, no way would the Nucks throw in a 3rd.

PAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 12:51 AM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFanSince86 View Post
Why ?

These are pro's not prospects, unless there is a legit issue with Komi why not trust he will be better this season ?

What if he does turn it around, and we just shipped him off for a guy that still sucks and has a contract that is even longer than Komi's. It makes no sense it is a lateral move at best and is a huge gamble, considering we already know what we are getting out of Komi, Ice time and coaching have been adjusted for it.

If I am going to be perfectly honest I would say that if both of them have Career years I would rather have Komi than Ballard.
I think he has had enough time to show us what he can do in Toronto. Ballard looked pretty good in Florida and Phoenix playing beside Yandle and Bouwmeester, players similar to Phanuef in playing styles, I think he will thrive from playing with Phanuef. Canucks need a big shut down defence man to shut down bigger players, and the leafs need more points from our back end besides we have Luke

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 12:53 AM
Canuckfan4Life2

Yeah no thanx

Canuckfan4Life2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 12:59 AM
Reverend Mayhem
1 for you, 19 for me

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by getyourselfsomerest View Post
No deal. I'd rather keep Komisarek.
I would rather keep Ballard.

Reverend Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 01:01 AM
HockeyFanSince86
The Team People Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs87 View Post
I think he has had enough time to show us what he can do in Toronto. Ballard looked pretty good in Florida and Phoenix playing beside Yandle and Bouwmeester, players similar to Phanuef in playing styles, I think he will thrive from playing with Phanuef. Canucks need a big shut down defence man to shut down bigger players, and the leafs need more points from our back end besides we have Luke
Komi looked good in Montreal, it is an adjustment playing with players you are not familiar with. Our D has changed every year since he has been here, never had a stable pairing and has bounced from the first pairing to the press box. The guy has been tossed around more than clothes in a washing machine, give him a break.

We FINALLY have a D that looks to be a keeper and in that he should be able to find chemistry with someone. I don't know who because it is to early to tell. Maybe Aulie ? maybe Franson ? The point is the coaches know what they are getting from Komi and know where he fits best. Moving him for a player that played just as bad and has a longer contract is crazy.

HockeyFanSince86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 01:18 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
The pick is going the wrong way to make it work

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 01:24 AM
I am Canadian
Have faith.

I don't get why you guys think a third holds so much value...It doesn't change a deal from a no to yes 90% of the time.

I am Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 01:53 AM
bascas

at their bests ballard was arguably the better d-man, Ballard puts up more point and was still a good defensive d-man and his slip this year was due to unknown factors (at least to most of us), while Komi main trait was physicality and toughness but we all know how he has been since the Lucic incident (mental block are more dificult to overcome). Ballard only sucked last year where as Komi has sucked for 2 strait. If anything Toronto would have to add despite the extra year with ballard, plus Toronto has the ability to send him to the minors if he continues to suck. All said and done i say Ballard has a better chance to bounce back.

bascas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 02:26 AM
PAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoDee View Post
I don't get why you guys think a third holds so much value...It doesn't change a deal from a no to yes 90% of the time.
It doesn't hold much value, but in terms of Vancouver having to give it up makes no sense.

PAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 03:19 AM
Cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!

vCash: 1269
I'd do the deal from a Leafs perspective. No added pick needed.

I think both have similar value at this point but Ballard just fits better with our team.
If Ballard can return to his previous form he would be a great fit on the second pairing with Schenn.

Komi is a bad fit to play with Phaneuf or Schenn, which means with us he will always be a 3rd pairing guy, even if he regains his previous form.

Cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 03:20 AM
TyBOZAK*

Ballard is really good, just that Vancouver ruined him. I think with a new start he'd be great, same goes for Komisarek. I don't think Van City has to add the 3rd, a straight up deal would be good. Keith would be a good fit here, and Komi would be a pretty good fit there.

TyBOZAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 03:38 AM
Canuckfan4Life2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Percy View Post
Ballard is really good, just that Vancouver ruined him. I think with a new start he'd be great, same goes for Komisarek. I don't think Van City has to add the 3rd, a straight up deal would be good. Keith would be a good fit here, and Komi would be a pretty good fit there.
Komisarek wouldn't be a good fit here at all and there is no reason for us to move Ballard

Old
08-21-2011, 03:43 AM
Cogburn
Trixie Hobbitses

There is no way a deal centered around Ballard for Komisarek would happen if Vancouver has anything to say about it.

Ballard was behind 3 defensemen with his role as PMD last year, who had been with the team and system for some time longer, and Hamhuis who is, let's face it, miles ahead defensively as a shutdown defender. This season, sans Ehrhoff, Ballard has more room to show what he can do. Also, because of off season surgery and a preference to play on a socked side, our coaching staff didn't really give him a great opportunity to play as if he were healthy and playing on his strong side. Ballard isn't untouchable, but I'm sure Gillis wants to see what a healthy, full season from Ballard can yield before moving him for someone that would be in the same boat as Ballard last year, but with more bad seasons under his belt. We surrendered Grabner, Bernier and a 1st for Ballard and Oreskovic just last off season, we wouldn't have traded that for Komisarek, and perceived drop in value or not, there simply isn't a deal that would work for the two on our end, pick coming the other way or not.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 03:45 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 5158
... why would Vancouver add anything? Ballard has certainly had a lackluster start in Vancouver but he is easily the better of the two. Komisarek is one more year away from being classified as a AHL bait unless he turns his game around. Definitely no from the Canucks, although I do think Komi would do better here suiting up with Edler. He is just far from worth it.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 04:04 AM
TyBOZAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckfan4Life2 View Post
Komisarek wouldn't be a good fit here at all and there is no reason for us to move Ballard
Well, looking at other threads you need a #6 D, and you guys don't 'trust' Rome/Alberts
to play full time. So, that spot can go to Komi.

TyBOZAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 04:08 AM
El Duderino

No need for another defensive defenseman... We need Ballard to step up and play well offensively and move the puck to cover for the loss of Ehrhoff. Komisarek just doesn't have that offensive talent.

El Duderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 04:09 AM
El Duderino

Quote:
Well, looking at other threads you need a #6 D, and you guys don't 'trust' Rome/Alberts
Alberts is actually pretty trustworthy IMO, Rome is the one I don't like, but the coaching staff seem to love and will play at any opportunity.

El Duderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 04:33 AM
biturbo19

absolutely no deal there.

Ballard had a rough year, but if the Canucks are going to replace Ehrhoff's contributions at all...we're going to need Ballard to get his **** in order and play like the d-man he is capable of being.

Komisarek would be a step in the completely wrong direction at best, and a grossly overpaid Aaron Rome clone as a realistic outcome.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 05:28 AM
Canuckfan4Life2

Quote:
Except this proposal has as giving up Ballard so we'd still have Alberts/Rome playing which btw I still would rather have then Komisarek at 4.5

Old
08-21-2011, 05:31 AM
DJENTLEMAN
Handsome Ralph

Terrible value for Vancouver. That pick should be going the other way.

DJENTLEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 05:33 AM
Canuckfan4Life2

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
Alberts is actually pretty trustworthy IMO, Rome is the one I don't like, but the coaching staff seem to love and will play at any opportunity.
I really don't get all the hate for Rome

yeah he isn't a top 4 guy but with all the injuries we had last year what other options did we have and IMO he did his job as a depth D-Man