HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pierre Dorion on the Team (RND Camp, prospects, Silfverberg, Future)

Old
08-18-2011, 08:37 AM
Madskillz65

vCash: 500
Pierre Dorion on the Team (RND Camp, prospects, Silfverberg, Future)

Cliffs

-Likes the verification line (puck touches it in the net then its a goal)
-Likes all 2 minute penalties being full 2 minutes even if goal is scored
-Says no changes needed if the game is called the way it should.
-HATES the no change on the fly rule
-Says NHL would definitely like to make goalie pads smaller since it's "fact" that it is just as safe, but goalies claim other wise to keep there advantage. Somewhere along the line goalie pads went from player safety to stopping the puck.

-Talks about Nail Yakupov, Ryan Murray going top 5 in next years draft...

-Really impressed by prospects at the camp... Alex Galchenyuk, Alex Gudbranssen and local goalie Daniel Altshuller all stood out

-Jakob Silfverberg staying in Sweden this year, not too concerned
-Players don't realize how good they are due to some coaching differences, ice times among other things.

-Says Mark Borowiecki really impressed him these past B-Sens playoffs and, he'll surprise a lot of people, look to see him "sooner than later"

-Last few years the direction the Sens wanted to go in was to bring in character players.

-Not too concerned about Lee Sweatt's retiring. Confident in BSens but will make move if it comes along.

-Excited for the season, extremely excited to see Sens prospects develop this season. "Might have been the best summer of my life"

Madskillz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 11:08 AM
Two Line Pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madskillz65 View Post
Cliffs

Worst idea ever.

Two Line Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 11:23 AM
MoreGore

Not if you have Karlsson, Rundblad and Wiecioch on you team for the next decade.

MoreGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 11:30 AM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madskillz65 View Post
Cliffs

-Likes the verification line (puck touches it in the net then its a goal)
-Says no changes needed if the game is called the way it should.
-HATES the no change on the fly rule
-Says NHL would definitely like to make goalie pads smaller since it's "fact" that it is just as safe, but goalies claim other wise to keep there advantage. Somewhere along the line goalie pads went from player safety to stopping the puck.

-Talks about Nail Yakupov, Ryan Murray going top 5 in next years draft...

-Really impressed by prospects at the camp... Alex Galchenyuk, Alex Gudbranssen and local goalie Daniel Altshuller all stood out

-Jakob Silfverberg staying in Sweden this year, not too concerned
-Players don't realize how good they are due to some coaching differences, ice times among other things.

-Says Mark Borowiecki really impressed him these past B-Sens playoffs and, he'll surprise a lot of people, look to see him "sooner than later"

-Last few years the direction the Sens wanted to go in was to bring in character players.

-Not too concerned about Lee Sweatt's retiring. Confident in BSens but will make move if it comes along.

-Excited for the season, extremely excited to see Sens prospects develop this season. "Might have been the best summer of my life"
Big disagreement there, goalie pads protect everything perfectly now, the only thing I would agree with is limiting a thigh rise to a max +2 or +3, NHL has already decreased width and got rid of thigh boards to protect the knees.

As for goalie equipment not about being safety and stopping pucks, well, a catch glove is to catch and stop a puck, why not go with 2 blockers then?

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 11:33 AM
SenzZen
Up Late With McBain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Line Pass View Post
Worst idea ever.
Seems you didn't read 2 lines down from there...

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 12:03 PM
Countdown0
Painfully Honest

The idea of the full 2 minutes beings served it horrible.

It will suddenly become so much more devastating to be on the recieving end of a bad call, to say nothing of a 5-on-3.

As for no change on the fly... well I don't have any words to describe the depth of that idiocy.

Countdown0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 12:10 PM
Flamingo

I thought the change-on-the-fly rule change would be to allow changes only on the fly, and not during stoppages. Although I don't like it, it makes more sense than only allowing changes during stoppages.

Flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 12:15 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

The penalty that keeps going even the team scores seems a bit silly: I really don't see the point of it. Increase scoring? I cannot stand people who complain about the supposed "lack of scoring", please do not listen to them.

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 12:15 PM
MikeyMagic

Send a message via MSN to MikeyMagic
I really wish they would implement no changing if you shoot the puck over the glass in the defensive zone, instead of a 2 minute penalty. To me it should be treated the same as icing.

MikeyMagic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 12:30 PM
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMagic View Post
I really wish they would implement no changing if you shoot the puck over the glass in the defensive zone, instead of a 2 minute penalty. To me it should be treated the same as icing.
I don't mind a 2 minute penalty if it is deemed to be intentional. I think the refs should be allowed to make a judgement call.

PoutineSp00nZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 12:35 PM
Micklebot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
The penalty that keeps going even the team scores seems a bit silly: I really don't see the point of it. Increase scoring? I cannot stand people who complain about the supposed "lack of scoring", please do not listen to them.
Because prior to 1957, that was how it worked. Why they changed it then? probably because there was too much scoring.

Micklebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 12:46 PM
the doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micklebot View Post
Because prior to 1957, that was how it worked. Why they changed it then? probably because there was too much scoring.
Sort of. Those were the days of the very strong Montreal Canadiens teams. A team would get a penalty, the Habs would pop 3 in during the two minutes and essentially the game was over. Very boring having a game decided on a single penalty. Hope they don't implement that rule.

the doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 12:48 PM
the doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMagic View Post
Not sure about this one. Before the penalty was put in place, teams would immediately remove pressure in their own ends by putting the puck over the glass. Some goalies were very good at it. Too many stoppages and too easy a means to get out of trouble in your own end.

the doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 12:54 PM
nanuuq
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
It used to be the actual rule in the NHL. It was changed in 1956 because the Canadiens were so powerful, they got 2-3 goals per penalty.

http://www.rauzulusstreet.com/hockey.../nhlrules.html

nanuuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 12:55 PM
SNAPshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by the doctor View Post
Sort of. Those were the days of the very strong Montreal Canadiens teams. A team would get a penalty, the Habs would pop 3 in during the two minutes and essentially the game was over. Very boring having a game decided on a single penalty. Hope they don't implement that rule.
I don't think we'd see 3 goals scored on one PP very often in today's NHL, which is why I'm not against the rule. Scoring is low, players and coaches are better and special teams are a lot better.

That said, my main worry would be the playoffs, even with reduced penalties, where the impact of multiple goals on a powerplay would certainly be a lot more important.

SNAPshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 01:03 PM
SensArePrettyPesky
King Kendrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreGore View Post
Not if you have Karlsson, Rundblad and Wiecioch on you team for the next decade.
You forgot Cowen.

SensArePrettyPesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 01:03 PM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPshot View Post

That said, my main worry would be the playoffs, even with reduced penalties, where the impact of multiple goals on a powerplay would certainly be a lot more important.
Why would it be more important in the playoffs? Makes no sense.

Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 01:04 PM
KarlSen

Serving two full minutes isn't the worst idea ever, but I would much rather see icing called the same as 5 on 5. That makes it a real penalty.

Oh yah, should I start a re-vote for Mark Borowiecki thread :-)

[QUOTE]Says Mark Borowiecki really impressed him these past B-Sens playoffs and, he'll surprise a lot of people, look to see him "sooner than later"
QUOTE]

KarlSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 01:11 PM
slamigo
Skate or Die!

Quote:
Not sure about this one. Before the penalty was put in place, teams would immediately remove pressure in their own ends by putting the puck over the glass. Some goalies were very good at it. Too many stoppages and too easy a means to get out of trouble in your own end.
How is that different than icing the puck? Icing the puck or putting it over the glass should carry the same penalty. Face-off back in your own end and not allowed to change the players on-ice until play resumes.

I think that the full 2 minute penalty is a bit much. But you could use it instead of a double minor. Instead of 2 penalties in a row, just make it a full 2 min. That way, it only gets used for something serious, like a stick infraction that causes injury. It would be like a (5 min major)-lite.

You could also make ALL face-offs during a penalty occur in your own end. Like, if you clear the puck but go off-side at the opposing blue line, the face-off goes all the way back to your own end. You do that for every stoppage until the 2 minutes are up. It's not a huge disadvantage, but it would make the penalty killers a lot more honest.

Oh, and why are penalty killers allowed to ice the puck? Get rid of that.

slamigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 02:04 PM
Smeddy
Intangibles

Game is fine as it is, leave it alone.

Smeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 02:45 PM
SensAreReligion
GT- CxC Senator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean9 View Post
Game is fine as it is, leave it alone.
exactly.

SensAreReligion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 02:47 PM
Hutz
Classless User

Quote:
Yes, but it's functionally the same as icing... they can still ice the puck, and if anything, that's more beneficial for the defensive team since they have a little time to rest when as the puck sails down and then has to be touched by a player and retrieved by an official. Over the glass, the play could be back on very quickly.

We've seen countless instances of accidental flips over the glass and I don't think they should be penalized so severely.

one of my biggest pet peeves is watching every player on an offensive team point up when the puck goes over the glass... ugh.

Hutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 02:49 PM
Lexicon Devil

What is the rationale for wanting to change the penalty rule? What problem are they trying to fix?

It seems like pointless tweaking.

Lexicon Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 03:04 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon Devil View Post
What is the rationale for wanting to change the penalty rule? What problem are they trying to fix?

It seems like pointless tweaking.
I think R&D camps are great for the sport to at least put creative minds at work and see if stuff truly is better for the game. I mean like what, 95% of stuff at R&D doesn't ever go any further, its still a progressive thing to do though.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 03:17 PM
ChiassonTale

Quote:
And those goalies were penalized. It was a penalty for the goalie to shoot it straight over the glass long before it was for other players.

ChiassonTale is offline   Reply With Quote