HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Doughty Speaks: Contract not done, rumors untrue

Old
08-18-2011, 02:29 PM
Arrch

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fehr Time View Post
At the very least a rule should be put in effect that allows a player to become a UFA if a team does not sign them by Aug 1. This would encourage teams to treat their players better imo.
Your "At the very least" is the same as abolishing RFA; the players just become UFA on Aug 1st instead of July 1st.

Edit: You again? We get it, you want the NHL to be La Liga.

Arrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 02:33 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8spokesontheB View Post
I wouldn't say Doughty's at that upper-echelon tier right now. Weber is a top 5 defenseman in the league. Doughty is not.

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 02:34 PM
Fehr Time*
The Don of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaluvsthekings View Post
The Kings have offered Doughty long term contracts with cap hits between $6-7.5 mil supposedly. How are they treating him poorly? By not bending over and saying, "Yes Drew, whatever you want Drew. Here's a blank check Drew" ?

Did you ever think that perhaps Doughty is the reason why he isn't signed yet? Why is it all on the Kings? Oh that's right, that would go against your anti-ownership stance.
How could it be Doughty's fault? All he wants is to be treated fairly according to the marketplace. He is the one taking all the risk by participating in a very physical and high risk profession. He should be compensated accordingly. The team exploits his likeness to sell merchandise, tickets, etc. Does not Doughty deserve a piece of his own pie?

Fehr Time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 02:39 PM
fsanford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
Season GP G A P +/-

Drew Doughty Regular Season 76 11 29 40 13

This seriously deserves 7 mil+, are you kidding me?

Lubomir Visnovsky ANA D 81 18 50 68 +18

Keith Yandle PHX D 82 11 48 59 +12

Christian Ehrhoff VAN D 79 14 36 50 +19

Tyler Myers (Rookie Year) Sabres 82 11 37 48 13

Kris Letang PIT D 82 8 42 50 +15

Alex Goligoski PIT, DAL D 83 14 32 46 +20

Alex Pietrangelo STL D 79 11 32 43 +18
When they decide to put Lubo on the P.K get back to me.

fsanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 02:41 PM
Crazy8oooo
k ؃

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
I almost wish he was traded, just so we can see his worth. The suggestions that Bobby Ryan is somehow equal to Doughty is unreal.
Not here to argue value of either, but rather to ask where these suggestions are? I've not seen that comparison.

Crazy8oooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 02:42 PM
bobafettish*

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsanford View Post
not only that he put's in tyler myers rookie season in like it means something.....

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 02:42 PM
Martyros

so.......He wants max contract!

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 02:46 PM
Duodenum

How much does he expect to get after a mediocre 40 point season?
He's had 3 seasons in the NHL, only one of them could be considered elite. Seems like he wants to get paid as if he's had 2/3 elite seasons.

Duodenum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 02:46 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Just to point out how he deserves around 6 million. People throwing out numbers of 7-8 mil is just ridiculous for someone of his caliber and point production. I do not expect Myers to make more then 7 next year unless he gets 60+ points and a +30 or more rating.

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 02:49 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:
Quick note about Ehrhoff. The last Sabres defenseman to have a 50 point season? His name was Gary Galley. He did it in 95-96. Ehrhoff is the most productive offensive defenseman that the Sabres have had in over fifteen years and the Sabres have been in the top ten in goals scored for the last seven consecutive seasons...something no other team can claim.

Ehrhoff's cap hit was not, by any stretch of the imagination, a gross overpayment.

And as for Leino, the Sabres got him for a smaller cap hit than the Leafs just paid for the oft-injured Tim Connolly. Getting Leino in place of Connolly for a smaller cap hit is a significant upgrade for Buffalo, both in terms if skill and in terms of finances.

I would take Leino over Connolly, ANY DAY of the week... He is entering his "prime" and had a great playoffs 2 years ago and even last year...As well as 53 points last regular season. If he gets 60 pts+, I'll be a happy camper!
Quote:
Just to point out how he deserves around 6 million. People throwing out numbers of 7-8 mil is just ridiculous for someone of his caliber and point production. I do not expect Myers to make more then 7 next year unless he gets 60+ points and a +30 or more rating.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 02:49 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
How could it be Doughty's fault? All he wants is to be treated fairly according to the marketplace. He is the one taking all the risk by participating in a very physical and high risk profession. He should be compensated accordingly. The team exploits his likeness to sell merchandise, tickets, etc. Does not Doughty deserve a piece of his own pie?
They don't exploit his likeness. If he signs a contract, he enters into an agreement to allow them to do that. They pay him to do that.

And he gets the piece of his pie by getting paid what he is deserved. 7 million is not that. He's not the face of the franchise, like the Weber's or the Staal's of the world. He doesn't put up the 65 plus points consistently as a dman (yet). He's a player with some nice potential that is a decent name to draw a crowd. He doesn't do that by himself and he sure as hell isn't propping the team.

That means if he's asking to get paid like he does that, he's asking too much and thats on him, not ownership.

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 02:51 PM
Crazy8oooo
k ؃

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsanford View Post
Lubo leading the league in scoring for defensemen and having 28 more points than Doughty don't give him rights to be mentioned? The guy plays 24:18 a game with very limited PK time already...not much more they can play the guy without him being overworked.

Crazy8oooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 02:54 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by danaluvsthekings View Post
The Kings have offered Doughty long term contracts with cap hits between $6-7.5 mil supposedly. How are they treating him poorly? By not bending over and saying, "Yes Drew, whatever you want Drew. Here's a blank check Drew" ?

Did you ever think that perhaps Doughty is the reason why he isn't signed yet? Why is it all on the Kings? Oh that's right, that would go against your anti-ownership stance.
Did you even read the title of this thread? You may want to go back to the original post before blaming DD for the non-signing.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 02:54 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Wonderful. You're back with your beleif there isn't a potential RFA market for Doughty. I'll leave you to it since we beat this to death in the last thread.

I will however laugh at your no all-star game comment. Technically, yes, you are right. I love how you neglect to mention that in 2009-2010 he was named as a 2nd team all-star at the end of the season, meaning he was one of the top four defensemen in the NHL that year, was nominated for the Norris Trophy, meaning he was viewed by a different panel of voters as one of the top three defneseman that year, and some of the best hockey minds in the world put him on team Canada, for the Olympics, where he was a very key cog in his team earning a gold medal.

But yeah, no all-star game, so let's rag on him.

Hate to break it to you, but he HAS been consistently good and suffers more from the unreal high expectations placed on him by people such as yourself. He was still top 10 in Norris voting this year after being top 3 last year and has logged 22+ minutes a game in all situations since coming into the league at 18. Canada olympic team, Olympic gold medal, 2nd all-star team, norris nomination and huge minutes from almost game one of your career rarely happens, and may not have happened at all in the past 20 years. The fact he was only great this year and not ungodly brilliant like last year has some of you ready to flame him at any chance you get. It's unreal how fickle some fans are, especially Kings fans at times.
All of this is why he will be paid very well. Hate to break it to you, but one great season does not make the kid a great player. He is an exceptional talent, but I expect a more consistent performance when a player is going to ask for something in the neighborhood of $7M a season.

I don't flame the kid, I simply point out some of his deficiences that some of you overlook when sending him hearts and flowers. I have never said he isn't a great talent, but I have said his professionalism and the maturity he has demonstrated up to this point leave something to be desired (Jack Johnson may not be the talent that Doughty is, but has it all over him thus far in these two areas). If you think the Kings should pay top dollar on a 4 or 5 year deal, which is probably what Meehan wants, then that's your opinion. I don't agree, and no I don't think there is a big market out there for his services. Not at the $8M a year and the number of 1st round draft picks a team would have to give up to even get in the game.

The Kings don't have to offer $8M a season because Doughty is their RFA and they are in the driver's seat in these negotiations.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 02:56 PM
bobafettish*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Did you even read the title of this thread? You may want to go back to the original post before blaming DD for the non-signing.
because we should believe everything players say as truth, right.

Old
08-18-2011, 02:59 PM
Magnifique

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Riot View Post
IMO, there's no way Doughty will (or should) get less than Weber's 7.5 million.
Please, elaborate. Weber is one of the best defense-man in the league, as in top-five; Doughty is not. The HF DD crush strikes again.

I'm not saying this because I'm a 'Yotes fan -- I'm actually much harder on the Coyotes than I am on any other team -- but because they are a great comparison. Compare Yandle and Doughty over the last two years, and then look at what Yandle signed for. But yeah, DD should make eight-million a year.

Magnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 03:00 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
It is sickening to see a player being subject to this type of collusive behaviour. That's why I had mentioned in another thread that RFA should be abolished all together. At the very least a rule should be put in effect that allows a player to become a UFA if a team does not sign them by Aug 1. This would encourage teams to treat their players better imo.
If you want that for the players in the next CBA expect the owners to agree ONLY if the guaranteed contract is abolished.

Old
08-18-2011, 03:04 PM
bobafettish*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotes Persevere View Post
Please, elaborate. Weber is one of the best defense-man in the league, as in top-five; Doughty is not. The HF DD crush strikes again.

I'm not saying this because I'm a 'Yotes fan -- I'm actually much harder on the Coyotes than I am on any other team -- but because they are a great comparison. Compare Yandle and Doughty over the last two years, and then look at what Yandle signed for. But yeah, DD should make eight-million a year.
you're right being a norris canidate and winning a gold medal at 20, someone other than HF must think hes good.......

Old
08-18-2011, 03:04 PM
9GWG9

Im getting the feeling he wants out and he is demanding a high number to force DL's hand.

9GWG9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 03:05 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9GWG9 View Post
Im getting the feeling he wants out and he is demanding a high number to force DL's hand.
I don't think it's anything more than Meehan and Lombardi playing a high stakes negotiating game with Doughty being an interested spectator.

Old
08-18-2011, 03:13 PM
Jack Donaghy
Good God Lemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9GWG9 View Post
Possible, but LA looks like a legit contender for the next few years. I wouldn't want to leave that team!

Jack Donaghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 03:13 PM
9GWG9

You are most likely right. Wishfull thinking on my part.

9GWG9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 03:22 PM
CCCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
haha, best defense ever?

Doughty, Burns and Boyle on the same team, who needs forwards? lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
not even close.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses Doughty View Post
I love Drew but this. Look to 70s Canadiens
And 1997 Red Wings.

CCCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 03:26 PM
danaluvsthekings

Quote:
Well answer this then, if the Kings offers (again, allegedly long term deals with cap hits of between $6-7.5 mil) are so horrible, what should Doughty be paid? What salary do you think would be Doughty being "compensated accordingly"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Negotiations go both ways. Every Kings fan would prefer this was done already. I'm not assigning blame yet. I was asking the poster a question because he's putting ALL of the blame on the Kings not having this contract signed yet and I don't think that's fair. I think the Kings offers have been more than reasonable.

There are several reasons why a contract might not be done. They would include:

1) Kings offering a lowball contract- That would be the Kings fault.

2) Doughty asking for an insane amount of money. - That would be Doughty's fault

3) The Kings wanting more years than Doughty wants to sign for. - I'm not going to blame the Kings for wanting Doughty locked up long term.

4) Doughty only wanting a short term contract and the Kings don't want to give him one. - Also not going to blame Doughty for wanting to make what's reasonable for him. It would be nice of course if he would sign at somewhat of a discount, but I'm not ready to hold that against him.

5) Doughty wanting NTC/NMCs if he gives up UFA years, something Lombardi doesn't want to do.

Could be some combo of all of those factors as why he isn't signed yet. All I was saying is that putting the blame entirely on one party in contract negotiations is ridiculous.

danaluvsthekings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 03:33 PM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

I don't really think money is the issue at all. The AAV is going to be somewhere between 6.5 and 7.5, so that's not a problem.

Has to be the term. I imagine DL is trying super-hard to buy up a ton of UFA years whereas Meehan wants Doughty to get paid with a UFA-worthy contract when it's time.

HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote