HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Doughty Speaks: Contract not done, rumors untrue

Old
08-18-2011, 03:38 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9GWG9 View Post
Im getting the feeling he wants out and he is demanding a high number to force DL's hand.
Yes, clearly he wants to play for the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 03:43 PM
danaluvsthekings

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryNealesGarden View Post
I don't really think money is the issue at all. The AAV is going to be somewhere between 6.5 and 7.5, so that's not a problem.

Has to be the term. I imagine DL is trying super-hard to buy up a ton of UFA years whereas Meehan wants Doughty to get paid with a UFA-worthy contract when it's time.
That's what would make the most sense. Not that Doughty wants out, or that the Kings are treating him poorly, or Lombardi is a jackass, or any of the other things that have been said in this thread.

I'd think if Doughty wanted out that legit media people would have been reporting on that by now.

danaluvsthekings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 03:45 PM
DwightKSchrute

You guys he's wearing a Jays hat,that must mean he wants to play in Toronto.
Bozak,Gunnarson,2nd?

DwightKSchrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 03:46 PM
bobafettish*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwightKSchrute View Post
You guys he's wearing a Jays hat,that must mean he wants to play in Toronto.
Bozak,Gunnarson,2nd?
OVERPAYMENT kings would have to add.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 03:59 PM
Theokritos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyersMagic57 View Post
Does it honestly matter whether you make 5 million a year or 8 million a year. Thats still a lot of money and you're still going to be set for life if you're making that over a 5-10 year span.
Every Cent matters!

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 04:29 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fehr Time View Post
How could it be Doughty's fault? All he wants is to be treated fairly according to the marketplace. He is the one taking all the risk by participating in a very physical and high risk profession. He should be compensated accordingly. The team exploits his likeness to sell merchandise, tickets, etc. Does not Doughty deserve a piece of his own pie?
A) It's not anyone's fault. It's a business. LA wants to sign him and Drew wants to stay, it's just a matter of both sides finding a happy medium.

B) Do you know Drew? I assume not, so how do you know what he wants? For all you know he wants a guarantee that he is named captain, gets to drink out of the cup before anyone else or for his mom to be named Ron Hextall's imediate supervisor. Without knowlege of the negotiation, you have no idea of what is on the table, what the issues are and what the sticking points are.

C) He is not the only one taking risk. The Kings take the risk that by signing Drew to the possible $7.4 million per yera deal that he will continue to develop and not regress. Ask the Rangers about having no risk regarding Chris Drury and Wade Redden. Lay the blame where you want on those contracts, but the team also clearly had some risks that they had to live up to.

D) The team does not exploit his likeness. The team pays for the right to use his likeness as part of the contract.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 04:31 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy8oooo View Post
Not here to argue value of either, but rather to ask where these suggestions are? I've not seen that comparison.
In the last thread, which was locked to start this one.

Old
08-18-2011, 04:49 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
All of this is why he will be paid very well. Hate to break it to you, but one great season does not make the kid a great player. He is an exceptional talent, but I expect a more consistent performance when a player is going to ask for something in the neighborhood of $7M a season.

I don't flame the kid, I simply point out some of his deficiences that some of you overlook when sending him hearts and flowers. I have never said he isn't a great talent, but I have said his professionalism and the maturity he has demonstrated up to this point leave something to be desired (Jack Johnson may not be the talent that Doughty is, but has it all over him thus far in these two areas). If you think the Kings should pay top dollar on a 4 or 5 year deal, which is probably what Meehan wants, then that's your opinion. I don't agree, and no I don't think there is a big market out there for his services. Not at the $8M a year and the number of 1st round draft picks a team would have to give up to even get in the game.

The Kings don't have to offer $8M a season because Doughty is their RFA and they are in the driver's seat in these negotiations.
No, you give one side of the story by stating he's never been in the all-star game but conviently omitting what he has done that outweighs an all-star game invite.

Also, you'll never find a post of me saying he should get $7 million or more. I'm simply arguing all of you naysayers. Drew played like a top 10 d-man this year, but he wasn't norris worthy, thus you question his professionalism and maturity. Why? It didn't affect his play and he seems to have learned from the leson given the physical state he was in for the bulk of last season and seems to be in this off-season.

Old
08-18-2011, 05:09 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
No, you give one side of the story by stating he's never been in the all-star game but conviently omitting what he has done that outweighs an all-star game invite.

Also, you'll never find a post of me saying he should get $7 million or more. I'm simply arguing all of you naysayers. Drew played like a top 10 d-man this year, but he wasn't norris worthy, thus you question his professionalism and maturity. Why? It didn't affect his play and he seems to have learned from the leson given the physical state he was in for the bulk of last season and seems to be in this off-season.
Sorry, but I think it did. He wasn't in the kind of shape that a player of his calibre needs to be in to eat the number of minutes he is expected to eat every night.

He yapped at the officials too much last season and on several occasions looked foolish with obvious dives to the ice. (At least get some lessons from Dustin Brown if you are going to do this.) There were a lot of nights last season where he didn't play like a top 10 defenseman in the NHL. Are you going to deny that? How do I give one side of the story when I freely admit that he is a great talent?

In order for the Kings to take the next step forward, Doughty needs to play like a Norris-worthy defenseman every season. Meehan sure seems to want him to be paid like one.

So seeming to have learned his lesson this off season has won you over completely? I'll reserve judgment until I see how he performs this season.

I don't know what you think he should or shouldn't get paid. I am questioning Meehan's desire to steer things in the direction along the lines of what Stamkos got in his deal. A deal like that would be wrong for the Kings based on what Doughty has shown us so far.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 05:09 PM
SFKingshomer

QUOTE=bobafettish;36025145]not only that he put's in tyler myers rookie season in like it means something.....[/QUOTE]

And forgets about Doughtys soph year where he was dominant and arguably Canadas best

Last edited by SFKingshomer: 08-18-2011 at 05:16 PM.
SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 05:25 PM
eli J
Claw Machine broke

Send a message via AIM to eli J
Quote:
A) It's not anyone's fault. It's a business. LA wants to sign him and Drew wants to stay, it's just a matter of both sides finding a happy medium.

B) Do you know Drew? I assume not, so how do you know what he wants? For all you know he wants a guarantee that he is named captain, gets to drink out of the cup before anyone else or for his mom to be named Ron Hextall's imediate supervisor. Without knowlege of the negotiation, you have no idea of what is on the table, what the issues are and what the sticking points are.

C) He is not the only one taking risk. The Kings take the risk that by signing Drew to the possible $7.4 million per yera deal that he will continue to develop and not regress. Ask the Rangers about having no risk regarding Chris Drury and Wade Redden. Lay the blame where you want on those contracts, but the team also clearly had some risks that they had to live up to.

D) The team does not exploit his likeness. The team pays for the right to use his likeness as part of the contract.
Just have to say I liked this post a lot. +

eli J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 05:26 PM
Asheru

As Kings17's avatar reminds us, Lombardi has "forgotten more than we will ever know." So if Lombardi himself wants to lock up Doughty now on a long term deal, can't we trust him? Hehe.

Some fans doth protest too much.

I think Lombardi is willing to make a very large bet that Doughty will be worth much more in the future than he's worth now--which is already a considerable amount. And this is a GM obsessed with the cap and long-term plans.

We don't know what rumors are true -- but if he offers something, Lombardi thinks there will be value on that deal.

Doughty just squashed the holdout rumors, so if the agent-GM tussle goes on too long, something will be resolved.

Let's relax.

Asheru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 05:34 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheru View Post
As Kings17's avatar reminds us, Lombardi has "forgotten more than we will ever know." So if Lombardi himself wants to lock up Doughty now on a long term deal, can't we trust him? Hehe.

Some fans doth protest too much.

I think Lombardi is willing to make a very large bet that Doughty will be worth much more in the future than he's worth now--which is already a considerable amount. And this is a GM obsessed with the cap and long-term plans.

We don't know what rumors are true -- but if he offers something, Lombardi thinks there will be value on that deal.

Doughty just squashed the holdout rumors, so if the agent-GM tussle goes on too long, something will be resolved.

Let's relax.
It's all speculation on my part based on what we do know, but I think the sticking point is the length of the contract. Dean has already indicated that he is willing to make Doughty the highest paid player on the team, IF the years are right. To Lombardi that probably means 8-9 years. I am sure Meehan would love to do all this over again in 4 or 5 years. I don't see Dean giving in on that point.

Old
08-18-2011, 06:05 PM
Tonellisghost
WE ARE THE KINGS!!!!

My way of seeing this is right in the middle. I believe that things have gone *e-x-a-c-t-l-y* the way that S&S have described. This is a contract for what many believe to be a generational talent at his position and as such his contract, like all contracts of its kind have a specific set of parameters that are basic and easy enough to work out at the beginning and then end up getting bogged down in the details until something is finalized.

Contracts like these tend to go the way they do until they are finished. More often than not they get close and then move apart a few times before everyone is happy and what we are and have been seeing are the normal motions that happen in these situations.

Tonellisghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 06:16 PM
Magnifique

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
you're right being a norris canidate and winning a gold medal at 20, someone other than HF must think hes good.......
You seem to lack basic reading comprehension.

Magnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 07:01 PM
8spokesontheB
Cry Havoc!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheru View Post

Some fans doth protest too much

Let's relax.
"Doth" is an exclusively singular word. It isn't used correctly here.

8spokesontheB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 07:43 PM
Crazy8oooo
k ؃

Quote:
In the last thread, which was locked to start this one.
You were the only one to mention 'value of' in reference to Ryan vs Doughty. Someone mentioned something about Ryan not receiving any offers, despite being much more attainable than Doughty and your response was, "Doughty's value >>>>>>> than Ryan" even though the poster never said Ryan had equal value...he, in fact, said the opposite. Then after your comment, a Phoenix fan commented in regards to the amount of >'s that you said Doughty was above Ryan, which in the real world he would be correct. No way is Doughty >>>>>>> Ryan. Then, you toned it down and said maybe he's not worth all the >'s more than Ryan, but went on to say that he's still, "significantly more valuable that Ryan." You were basically arguing with yourself, as nobody ever said Ryan=Doughty.

Crazy8oooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 07:46 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

[QUOTE=KINGS17;36029993]
Quote:
Sorry, but I think it did. He wasn't in the kind of shape that a player of his calibre needs to be in to eat the number of minutes he is expected to eat every night.
Yet he played them, never looked out of gas at the end of the night or in the playoffs and only missed time due to a concussion. You can think it all you want, you have no proof it actually did.

Quote:
He yapped at the officials too much last season and on several occasions looked foolish with obvious dives to the ice.
So does Crosby and several other prominent NHLers.

Quote:
There were a lot of nights last season where he didn't play like a top 10 defenseman in the NHL. Are you going to deny that? How do I give one side of the story when I freely admit that he is a great talent?
You can't see it in your posts? Yeah, you say he's a great talent, but then you slam him for virtually everything and don't point out any positives. Does Drew have bad games? Sure he does. But he's a great player that has also accomplished more at his age than almost every D-man did at the same age in the last two decades. Honestly, even this year, which was a drop off from last year, how many defenseman his age are doing what he's doing? Maybe Myers, and that's a maybe. How many have over the past few decades? Not going to be a very long list. Yet you don't point out anything positive, point out his flaws, many of which are in your opinion and not factual, but attempt to balance it out by saying "he's a great talent." Wonderful.

Quote:
In order for the Kings to take the next step forward, Doughty needs to play like a Norris-worthy defenseman every season. Meehan sure seems to want him to be paid like one.
So Meehan's trying to do his job. What a *******!

Quote:
So seeming to have learned his lesson this off season has won you over completely? I'll reserve judgment until I see how he performs this season.
Won me over on what? That Drew is worth $7+ million? Nope. I don't think he should get that kind of money. That drew is a world-class talent? I didn't need him to "learn his lesson" to be convinced of that.

Quote:
I don't know what you think he should or shouldn't get paid. I am questioning Meehan's desire to steer things in the direction along the lines of what Stamkos got in his deal. A deal like that would be wrong for the Kings based on what Doughty has shown us so far.
Meehan cares about what's best for Drew solely, not LA. Keep in mind that this is the real money contract, the first one after his entry level deal. This is the first chance to really cash in, really set himself up for life, and he's not your typical RFA 21 year old, so Meehan's doing his best for his client. What is there to question?

Old
08-18-2011, 07:54 PM
KaraLupin
카라

Basically what he's saying is he wants to get his full value worth, but if it comes down to crunch time before season starts, he'll sign for what Kings offer.

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 07:59 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy8oooo View Post
You were the only one to mention 'value of' in reference to Ryan vs Doughty. Someone mentioned something about Ryan not receiving any offers, despite being much more attainable than Doughty and your response was, "Doughty's value >>>>>>> than Ryan" even though the poster never said Ryan had equal value...he, in fact, said the opposite. Then after your comment, a Phoenix fan commented in regards to the amount of >'s that you said Doughty was above Ryan, which in the real world he would be correct. No way is Doughty >>>>>>> Ryan. Then, you toned it down and said maybe he's not worth all the >'s more than Ryan, but went on to say that he's still, "significantly more valuable that Ryan." You were basically arguing with yourself, as nobody ever said Ryan=Doughty.
The argument was about the value of an RFA bid and the 4 1sts that would come with it. No team would give 4 1sts for Ryan, but would for Doughty. That was the argument.

Old
08-18-2011, 08:08 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
The argument was about the value of an RFA bid and the 4 1sts that would come with it. No team would give 4 1sts for Ryan, but would for Doughty. That was the argument.
You wouldn't have to give 4 1st round picks for Ryan. That's why he made a much better target. I don't think you understood that part of the point I was making.

Old
08-18-2011, 08:09 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I don't know. I don't think many teams would be willing to offer sheet Doughty, but unless he signs one I guess no one has any proof.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 08:22 PM
SlappyMcGee
=w=

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8spokesontheB View Post
"Doth" is an exclusively singular word. It isn't used correctly here.

More syntax please. This board has not even figured out which "your" to use.

Maybe Doughty wants a short term Parise-type contract after having a bad year and the Kings want to lock him down long-term...

SlappyMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 08:45 PM
Tonellisghost
WE ARE THE KINGS!!!!

Sorry but Meehan and Mark Guy care about what is best for *them* an them alone. It has been proven over and over again. That said, if you want to get paid big every player knows that you hire them. And when that big money contract runs out you walk.

Tonellisghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 08:49 PM
Crazy8oooo
k ؃

Quote:
Unless I'm just not seeing the posts, then I don't believe anyone ever said Ryan would fetch an offer sheet worth 4 1st rounders. I think you misunderstood his post.

In summary: If Ryan, as good as he is, did not receive any offers then why would Doughty receive any being that it would cost a team even more to offer sheet Doughty than it would Ryan. (I'm pretty sure that was the meaning behind the Ryan reference)

In any case, is it just me, or does Drew look like he's in much better shape than he was last year? He looked pretty fit in that video. Good news for the Kings!

Crazy8oooo is offline   Reply With Quote