HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Crowd in the crease (Leighton)

Old
08-14-2011, 08:06 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1064
Crowd in the crease (Leighton)

http://beta.courierpostonline.com/ar...-in-the-crease

Quote:
A year ago, Michael Leighton was exactly where he wanted to be in life.

For the first time in his well-traveled career, he had the security of a one-way, two-year guaranteed contract worth $1.55 million a season and assurances he'd start the 2010-11 season as the Flyers' No. 1 goaltender.

"After signing that deal," Leighton said, "I definitely didn't expect to be having to fight my way back again."

Today, Leighton spends his mornings at the Skate Zone trying to work his way back onto a team that clearly has no room for him.

Having signed 31-year-old Russian Ilya Bryzgalov to a nine-year, $51 million contract, the Flyers have found the No. 1 goaltender they have sought since Ron Hextall's prime.

The rest of the goaltending puzzle is far more unsettled. Sergei Bobrovsky, 22, is entering the second year of a contract that pays him $1.75 million this season, which would make him the second highest-paid backup in the NHL.
Quote:
So where does that leave the 30-year-old Leighton, who has played for four different teams the past two seasons?

"It's August," Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren said. "I don't have to answer that. Training camp is a process you go through, and we're going to do what's right for the organization."

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 08-14-2011 at 10:23 AM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 08:31 AM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

vCash: 500
AHL...

See ya......

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 09:15 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
AHL. Though I'd love it if we could trade him to someone. Anyone.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 10:20 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Keep him in the AHL. He's a very good AHL player and will make the phantoms competative this year

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 10:37 AM
MsWoof

If he makes the team and Bob gets shipped out or to the AHL there will be mutiny! I can just see it, Leighton ends up as backup, Bob is sent to the AHL, Leighton gets injured, Bob gets recalled but is picked up by the first team. Then we end up with half his cap hit.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 10:37 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Has anybody suggested AHL yet? I say AHL.

08-14-2011, 10:47 AM

vCash: 50
I feel for him a bit. His attitude has never been in question, just his natural ability. He gave his all for us in every game and didn't do too badly in the most part. As good as our defence was during that cup run, Leighton certainly contributed.

Poor guy. At least he's got 1.5 million reasons a year to be cheerful though.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 10:48 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Flyers Fans: "Paul why did you sign LOL-eighton to one-way, two-year guaranteed contract worth $1.55 million."

Holmgren: "I don't have to answer that but it is what it is."

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 11:34 AM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
I feel for him a bit. His attitude has never been in question, just his natural ability. He gave his all for us in every game and didn't do too badly in the most part. As good as our defence was during that cup run, Leighton certainly contributed.

Poor guy. At least he's got 1.5 million reasons a year to be cheerful though.
How can you say his attitude is great when clearly he despises that he actually has to work to stay at the position he wants to be the quote above says something like, "Well, clearly I didn't expect to have to fight to keep my job" Seriously? Who doesn't have to fight to keep your job you aren't the greatest to start with and now you think you can take it easy because you got a new contract. And how can you criticize our D during the stanley cup run. If not for our D Leighton would have crumbled and been the journeyman AHLer he was the whole time anyway. It's because of our D that he only looked suspect and not completely terribad.

PALE PWNR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 12:59 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
How can you say his attitude is great when clearly he despises that he actually has to work to stay at the position he wants to be the quote above says something like, "Well, clearly I didn't expect to have to fight to keep my job" Seriously? Who doesn't have to fight to keep your job you aren't the greatest to start with and now you think you can take it easy because you got a new contract. And how can you criticize our D during the stanley cup run. If not for our D Leighton would have crumbled and been the journeyman AHLer he was the whole time anyway. It's because of our D that he only looked suspect and not completely terribad.
Grow up. Go find the quote of him "ripping" into the D. His attitude has never been the problem. It is just the fact that he sucks.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 01:02 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

I don't think anyone outside of Leighton and maybe Holmgren thinks we have a crowded crease. The rest of the world sees a starter, a backup, and a AHL scrub

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 01:11 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
I'm not a Leighton fan, but I don't think he means it the way you are taking it. I think he is referring to the way the last year unfolded for him. He signed last summer to be the starter, but he lost his job without a real shot to prove himself because he got injured. Now his future is uncertain and the AHL job may not even be his. He fell off the radar in the organization without even playing himself out of a job.

I hope he is no where near the NHL team and believe they never should have signed him, but I do feel bad for him.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 01:17 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Grow up. Go find the quote of him "ripping" into the D. His attitude has never been the problem. It is just the fact that he sucks.
It was after the Buffalo game we lost in OT. He blamed the defense for the goal.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 01:35 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Come on guys.

I seriously can't believe all your responses to this thread. It's like everything I've been saying about Leighton since he first returned is going in one ear and out the other.

You guys should re-examine Leighton. He took us to the Stanley Cup Finals in 2010.

:sarcasm

AHL

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 01:41 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Come on guys.

I seriously can't believe all your responses to this thread. It's like everything I've been saying about Leighton since he first returned is going in one ear and out the other.

You guys should re-examine Leighton. He took us to the Stanley Cup Finals in 2010.

AHL
I agree, he should start.

Bryz should back up.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 01:41 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

I can't tell if you're sarcastic or not, but you have it backwards.

The team took Leighton to the Finals in 2010. Not the other way around.

edit: ah, I see what you did there. I shouldve used the quote button

Old
08-14-2011, 01:42 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
I'm not a Leighton fan, but I don't think he means it the way you are taking it. I think he is referring to the way the last year unfolded for him. He signed last summer to be the starter, but he lost his job without a real shot to prove himself because he got injured. Now his future is uncertain and the AHL job may not even be his. He fell off the radar in the organization without even playing himself out of a job.

I hope he is no where near the NHL team and believe they never should have signed him, but I do feel bad for him.
He had a back problem that required surgery without even playing a game of his new contract, and he didn't tell anyone about it until after he signed his shiny new contract. What did he expect us to do not find a goalie to replace him while he was out for half the year recovering from back surgery? We found a better replacement and he got the best contract of his career and continued doing the same crap he always did.

I had no problems with Leightons defficiencys until he acted like he was entitled to a starting job, and then tried to blame defense for his poor rebound control. Hes acting like a spoiled brat about the whole thing and deserves no sympathy. Yea if he had told Homer about the back thing he probably wouldn't have gotten the contract he got but he would of maintained himself being a legitimate guy but he didn't and is whining now that he is making bank on a rediculous contract he never should of got.

PALE PWNR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 04:03 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Come on guys.

AHL
Nicely subtle, Chris. I was going to say that I didn't know Leighton had a bus-driver's license.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 04:26 PM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
This chump is stealing 3M from this organization. He knows where he is headed. I cant believe I have to say this again..

SAYONARRA LEIGHTON.
YOU SUCK

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 05:44 PM
tuckrr

Lol can you imagine the nightmares this guys gonna have when he's 50?

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 09:08 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

I think he's a great number 3. He's an AHL beast, and if forced into NHL duty we know he can be a very good stop gap. The problem is when he's depended on to be a starter or lying about an injury.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 09:34 PM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
Keep him in the AHL... I really don't want to see the guy in a Flyers uniform again, if we do it means bryz or bob are injured.

StandingCow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 09:52 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
It was after the Buffalo game we lost in OT. He blamed the defense for the goal.
Is this the quote where he said O'Donnell screened him? I read that as, "O'Donnell did what he was supposed to do, and sometimes that means you have to be screened on shots and it makes easy looking shots harder to stop. It happens."

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 10:02 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Is this the quote where he said O'Donnell screened him? I read that as, "O'Donnell did what he was supposed to do, and sometimes that means you have to be screened on shots and it makes easy looking shots harder to stop. It happens."
Was it? I thought he criticixed the team as a whole in terms of how they handled it. It was a few sentences long, I think. My 20 seconds google search didnt turn up anything, so who knows

Old
08-15-2011, 12:52 AM
Claude28Giroux
praiseG

Guy is *****ing about making 1.5 mill? Game 6 1st period Sabres series was enough. I don't want to see him in a starting role, ever.

Claude28Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote