General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

The Olympic Games Thread

Closed Thread

Old
08-15-2004, 04:58 PM
DutchLeafsfan

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DutchLeafsfan Send a message via MSN to DutchLeafsfan
Another reason why I hate the US hype machine at times btw... As most have seen South Africa win the 4x100m relay in a new world record, Holland is second with an incredible Pieter vd Hoogenband, and the US is third. The headline? "Phelps denied gold in 400-meter free relay"...

I think it is also ridiculous to leave one of the best sprinters off the American team to make room for a guy who had hardly even trained for the 100m freestyle, just because that guy could write history... Ironically, Phelp's split was slower than Hall jr. 's split during the heats...

Interestingly, just checking these split times, had the Dutch opening swimmers Johan Kenkhuis and Mitja Zastrow swum the same split times as during the heats, Holland would have challenged for the gold

Last edited by DutchLeafsfan: 08-15-2004 at 05:07 PM.
Old
08-15-2004, 05:32 PM
USC Trojans
Fight On!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchLeafsfan
Another reason why I hate the US hype machine at times btw... As most have seen South Africa win the 4x100m relay in a new world record, Holland is second with an incredible Pieter vd Hoogenband, and the US is third. The headline? "Phelps denied gold in 400-meter free relay"...
Yeah, they really overdid it on the Phelps hype. I knew from the beginning that winning 8 golds would be an almost impossible feat. 8 events, including heats and semifinals, means that he will have to swim 19 times in a span of a week. Thats an extremely difficult task to begin with, especially when you're competing against other swimmers that have that particular race as their main event.

Old
08-15-2004, 05:53 PM
ParisSaintGermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo
Great day for France.
Silver and Bronze in fencing (women).
Gold in swimming (400 meters women).
Bronze in swimming (Dubosq).
Excellent! Shame we got hammered in collective sports today (men Volleyball and women handball).

Old
08-15-2004, 05:54 PM
DutchLeafsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans
Yeah, they really overdid it on the Phelps hype. I knew from the beginning that winning 8 golds would be an almost impossible feat. 8 events, including heats and semifinals, means that he will have to swim 19 times in a span of a week. Thats an extremely difficult task to begin with, especially when you're competing against other swimmers that have that particular race as their main event.
Yeah, I think his program is far toobusy, and that he will be far from his best the further the games progress, due to sheer 'over-extension'. There is a reason why Pieter van den Hoogenband focusses on the 50,100 and 200m freestyle and Ian Thorpe on the 100,200 and 400m...

One thing I wonder though, as I only started noticing this hype once it had firmly hit stride: was it actually started by Phelps saying somewhere that he would like to beat Spitz, or was it a hype created by the media sensing a good story?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisSaintGermain
Excellent! Shame we got hammered in collective sports today (men Volleyball and women handball).
Sounds like the complete opposite of Holland

Old
08-15-2004, 06:03 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

I'm a bit dissapointed in De Bruin's loss today. I really had expected a lot but not this. On the other hand, Van den Hoogenband looks stronger than ever.

Old
08-15-2004, 07:42 PM
USC Trojans
Fight On!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchLeafsfan
One thing I wonder though, as I only started noticing this hype once it had firmly hit stride: was it actually started by Phelps saying somewhere that he would like to beat Spitz, or was it a hype created by the media sensing a good story?
I don't really know who started it but I'm guessing its the media. If I remember, Phelps withdrew from one of his events, but later on added another relay. I guess NBC was desperate for a storyline so they brought up the Spitz record and Phelps felt obligated to answer.

I can't wait to see the 200 free tonight.

Old
08-16-2004, 01:16 AM
Evilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisSaintGermain
We suck in volleyball. So no surprise.
As for the ladies in handball, falling to Denmark, Olympic champion is no shame.

Old
08-16-2004, 08:26 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 579
For anyone who cares, Bill Clement is doing color commentary for ping pong and Mike Emerick is doing water polo...

:lol

Old
08-16-2004, 08:45 AM
Jussi
Hey everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
For anyone who cares, Bill Clement is doing color commentary for ping pong and Mike Emerick is doing water polo...

:lol
What exactly are Clement's credentials for doing that sport? I'd imagine Emerick to handle himself fine since the principles are pretty much the same as in hockey, getting the ball(puck) in the opponent's goal. But why are they doing this for NBC/CNBC? Doesn't NBC UNIVERSAL have enough pbp guys on their own?

Old
08-16-2004, 08:50 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi
Doesn't NBC UNIVERSAL have enough pbp guys on their own?
Not really, the Olympics, Golf and Arena Football is all they cover. I guess they're auditioning guys to call hockey games () Emerick, Mike Breen, etc.

Old
08-16-2004, 11:39 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Thankfully I've managed to completely avoid any coverage with Al Trautwig so far.

Old
08-16-2004, 01:02 PM
Riddarn
1980-2011

Thorpe beats Hoogenband and Phelps in the 200 meter free race. Only a few tenths from the world record, good race, great show!

Old
08-16-2004, 02:02 PM
CNote
Get 'er done

Canada just won their 1st metal!!! A bronze in perhaps the dumbest olympic sport out there: Women's Synchro Diving.

woohooo!!!!!!!

Old
08-16-2004, 02:26 PM
ZombieMatt

I'm sort of surprised at the negative reactions people seem to be having towards the concept of synchronized diving. This is potentially the most difficult sport in the entire Olympics. Not only do you have to produced flawless, and extremely difficult, dives, but you need to do it in unison with someone else!!! That's insane.

I mean, with events like shooting (which I see more as a skill than an athletic feat), synchronized swimming, trampoline, taekwando (a poser martial art at best in my opinion), etc, I'd think people would tend to mock those sorts of sports, all of which are extremely difficult of course, but just not very mainstream in North America, but I see synchro diving getting a lot of flak.

Old
08-16-2004, 02:46 PM
DutchLeafsfan

The other events you mention hav yet to start

Old
08-16-2004, 03:18 PM
CNote
Get 'er done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt MacInnis
I'm sort of surprised at the negative reactions people seem to be having towards the concept of synchronized diving. This is potentially the most difficult sport in the entire Olympics. Not only do you have to produced flawless, and extremely difficult, dives, but you need to do it in unison with someone else!!! That's insane.

I mean, with events like shooting (which I see more as a skill than an athletic feat), synchronized swimming, trampoline, taekwando (a poser martial art at best in my opinion), etc, I'd think people would tend to mock those sorts of sports, all of which are extremely difficult of course, but just not very mainstream in North America, but I see synchro diving getting a lot of flak.
i do see your point and i take nothing away from them being world class athletes. i just think syncho anything looks kinda foolish.

Old
08-16-2004, 03:20 PM
CNote
Get 'er done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt MacInnis

i do see your point and i take nothing away from them being world class athletes. i just think syncho anything looks kinda foolish.

Old
08-16-2004, 04:05 PM
Gwyddbwyll

I was very cynical about synchronised diving. However we had some medal hopefuls in it so i watched it.

I was very impressed at the sheer athleticism. You only have to look at their physiques to realise how hard they work. I remember one of the British competitors turned out to be a two-time champion of the British TV show Gladiators which has all kinds of cross-sports events and was VERY tough to win.

It is not at all like synchronised swimming which is just ballet in the pool. I will definitely be watching it again.

Old
08-16-2004, 04:29 PM
Douggy

As cool as skateboarding and roller blading are, anything that requires judges to give a rating is not a sport in my books.

Old
08-16-2004, 05:48 PM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
I wonder if anybody caught the Taiwan (I'm sorry, CHINESE TAIPEI) Australia baseball game yesterday (Yesterday for me)

OMG IT was HILARIOUS... The Aussie Centerfielder just COMPLETELY LOSES the ball.

He comes in like 6 steps... is basically set.. than start back pedalling... then after like 4 steps, you can tell, he has NO IDEA where the ball is. The ball drops like 10 feet behind him...

FUNNAY!

Old
08-16-2004, 09:21 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddarn
Thorpe beats Hoogenband and Phelps in the 200 meter free race. Only a few tenths from the world record, good race, great show!

And Phelps has only 5 events left, so he will not match Mark Spitz's record, which isn't a real shock...

Old
08-16-2004, 09:52 PM
eSabre

Send a message via AIM to eSabre
I would like everyone to know that I actually watched 10 minutes of Slovenia vs. Croatia in men's team handball today.

Last edited by eSabre: 08-16-2004 at 09:54 PM. Reason: because
Old
08-16-2004, 10:34 PM
Dave is a killer
Dave's a Mess

omg...I actually watched men's gymnastics...and omfg the Japanese can FLY on the high bar

Old
08-16-2004, 11:43 PM
Street Hawk

amazing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven_Nation_Army
omg...I actually watched men's gymnastics...and omfg the Japanese can FLY on the high bar
The Japanese simply delivered when it all mattered. They needed strong (9.5 - 9.6), but not outstanding performances from their 3 guys and they each delivered 9.8's all around. They rose to the occassion.

I was disappointed at how poorly the Chinese team faired. They are usually so consistent all the time. They might not land the big 9.8's, but to score low 9's was brutal to watch.

Old
08-17-2004, 01:47 AM
USC Trojans
Fight On!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Hawk
I was disappointed at how poorly the Chinese team faired. They are usually so consistent all the time. They might not land the big 9.8's, but to score low 9's was brutal to watch.
Their floor exercise KILLED them, but hot damn did you see their pommel horse?

On another note...all the members of the Chinese women's gymnastics team don't look a day over 10 years old!!! They're all 16+, but they look like kids out there!

Closed Thread