HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

How much do Junior hockey players get paid?

Old
08-19-2011, 12:13 AM
Fehr Time*
The Don of Hockey

vCash: 500
How much do Junior hockey players get paid?

I have been wondering about this for the past while. I know that players in the CHL get a basic wage of sort (300-500 bucks a week?) but I was wondering if they get anything on top of this. Junior hockey is big business and one would think that these kids should be getting their fair share, not to mention their parents of course considering the financial sacrifices that they make. Does anyone know for sure?

Fehr Time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 12:16 AM
keslehr*

I believe they recieve a small 'per diem' amount and a small weekly salary.

keslehr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 12:18 AM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 50
They get a free education.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 12:22 AM
BLBarmada

Some get large signing bonusses.

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 12:27 AM
Fehr Time*
The Don of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLjunior View Post

I have heard of this too but never got any specifics. I imagine some top end players from Europe or potential NCAA candidates must get some big 'under the table' offers.

Old
08-19-2011, 12:42 AM
Muh
Beadle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fehr Time View Post
I have been wondering about this for the past while. I know that players in the CHL get a basic wage of sort (300-500 bucks a week?) but I was wondering if they get anything on top of this. Junior hockey is big business and one would think that these kids should be getting their fair share, not to mention their parents of course considering the financial sacrifices that they make. Does anyone know for sure?
Do CHL players really get 300-500 a week? My buddy played minor league baseball, and got about 500 every 2 weeks. Said you basically have to live off your signing bonuses.

Last edited by Muh: 08-19-2011 at 12:54 AM.
Muh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 02:05 AM
CanadianPantherFan

I thought they get about $100 or so a month,heard on Score Tv today.

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 02:18 AM
Fehr Time*
The Don of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPantherFan View Post
I thought they get about $100 or so a month,heard on Score Tv today.

Ya could be. I thought I heard more. The interesting part is the 'signing bonuses' that some players allegedly get. I don't think it should be such a secret. Junior hockey is big business, no shame in rewarding the employees with a good wage.

Old
08-19-2011, 03:31 AM
Eytinge

Kane and Gagner got huge signing bonuses from the London Knights. The Knights are notorious for their under the table deals.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 03:38 AM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muh View Post
Do CHL players really get 300-500 a week? My buddy played minor league baseball, and got about 500 every 2 weeks. Said you basically have to live off your signing bonuses.
Well their room is paid for and they get meal money to basically spend however they choose. The vast majority of minor league baseball players who just got drafted get signing bonus' that are in essence peanuts after the top 10 or so rounds.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 04:14 AM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLjunior View Post
I remember somebody mentioning Pat Kane got 200,000 to go to London but I'm not sure if it was true.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 04:19 AM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fehr Time View Post

Ya could be. I thought I heard more. The interesting part is the 'signing bonuses' that some players allegedly get. I don't think it should be such a secret. Junior hockey is big business, no shame in rewarding the employees with a good wage.
It causes jealousy among the teammates. Some kids are ballin', about to be millionaires, others on the team get none of that. Even among adults a situation like that breeds jealousy. with kids all the more.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 04:24 AM
PAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresmagicalplay View Post
I remember somebody mentioning Pat Kane got 200,000 to go to London but I'm not sure if it was true.
I doubt thats true. 20,000 is much more believable.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 05:16 AM
Reverend Mayhem

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Kane and Gagner got huge signing bonuses from the London Knights. The Knights are notorious for their under the table deals.

My friend once claimed he worked for Subway and was paid under the table.......$5.00 an hour! aka 200% below minimum wage.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 09:05 AM
tony d
Honey Nut Cheerios

I had heard before that they didn't get paid. After reading this thread I'm glad to see that that is not the case.

08-19-2011, 09:13 AM
Stubbs88

There has got to be some former junior players, or some posters that have some close friends who have played, that could give us some answers.

Stubbs88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 09:24 AM
Trevor3

Junior players get billeted out to local families, who are reimbursed for things like food, extra for utilities and that sort of thing. Players themselves get a living allowance in most cases of a few hundred a week. Certain teams, if trying to lure that lucrative player who plays the "college card" in order to go to a certain team, or is unsure may get something else, such as a signing bonus or new car.

Most teams will pay for education at local universities or colleges. They try and use it as a selling point as well, you can get your post-secondary education and play in the CHL with a long "pro like" season as opposed to NCAA where you play half as many games.

Each teams varies its practices. As one poster said above, the London Knights may be notorious for under the table deals, whereas a team like the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles are the exact opposite, every player gets the same no matter what (or at least it was when Lynch was team president).

Trevor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 09:28 AM

When trying to lure NCAA bound players, some teams also provide gift to family members, i.e. promises dad a brand new BMW if the kid reports to camp...

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 09:35 AM
leoleo3535

The CHL provides 1 year of schooling (college/university) for every year played.
The players are billeted....the billet receives $350-$400 per month. This goes directly to the billet....not the player. The billet also receives 2 season tickets.
There are rumors of big payments to "star" players......for the most part that is all it is....a rumor.
Most kids receive a stipend of $80-$150 per week.
For this they have to participate in hockey schools, community events.
End result - 99% of the players are walking around with nickels in their pockets.

leoleo3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 09:47 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoleo3535 View Post
The CHL provides 1 year of schooling (college/university) for every year played.
The players are billeted....the billet receives $350-$400 per month. This goes directly to the billet....not the player. The billet also receives 2 season tickets.
There are rumors of big payments to "star" players......for the most part that is all it is....a rumor.
Most kids receive a stipend of $80-$150 per week.
For this they have to participate in hockey schools, community events.
End result - 99% of the players are walking around with nickels in their pockets.
I don't know, $80-$150/wk in pure disposable income is nothing to turn your nose up at. It's not like they're paying rent or need to buy groceries with that money. It's pure spending cash.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 01:29 PM
leoleo3535

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
I don't know, $80-$150/wk in pure disposable income is nothing to turn your nose up at. It's not like they're paying rent or need to buy groceries with that money. It's pure spending cash.
Sorry....I was thinking of numerous things when I was posting this and I am not capable of chewing gum and walking at the same time......

Real $........pretty standard/ on the high side....$50 per week .

That makes it pretty tough to gas your car, pay insurance, buy a pair of jeans, take a girl to dinner etc.

leoleo3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 02:14 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor3 View Post
Junior players get billeted out to local families, who are reimbursed for things like food, extra for utilities and that sort of thing. Players themselves get a living allowance in most cases of a few hundred a week. Certain teams, if trying to lure that lucrative player who plays the "college card" in order to go to a certain team, or is unsure may get something else, such as a signing bonus or new car.

Most teams will pay for education at local universities or colleges. They try and use it as a selling point as well, you can get your post-secondary education and play in the CHL with a long "pro like" season as opposed to NCAA where you play half as many games.

Each teams varies its practices. As one poster said above, the London Knights may be notorious for under the table deals, whereas a team like the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles are the exact opposite, every player gets the same no matter what (or at least it was when Lynch was team president).

This, if I recall Jason Doig got a Jeep Grand Cherokee to play with StJean. Also how much a player makes depends on age so a 15 year old gets a lot less then a 20 year.

Last edited by beowulf: 08-19-2011 at 02:19 PM.
beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 02:29 PM
danaluvsthekings

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGallINYAface View Post
Well their room is paid for and they get meal money to basically spend however they choose. The vast majority of minor league baseball players who just got drafted get signing bonus' that are in essence peanuts after the top 10 or so rounds.
That's definitely true. My cousin played DII NCAA baseball. Two guys from his team were drafted this year, one in the 23rd round, the other in the 28th, and I think they each got under $5000 as a signing bonus.

danaluvsthekings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 04:29 PM
Kuleeee

I know a kid that just signed an OHL contract this summer and he is getting 50 dollars a week to spend on whatever he wants. He has all meals paid for and obviously is billeting. He also has 150-200 month for "travel pruposes" the amount depends on whether you have a car or not. He doesnt have to use it on travel but that is what they give it to him for

Kuleeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 07:19 PM
Leafidelity
Registered Leafs Fan

vCash: 1775
Basically, you get enough for your billets to be able to feed you.

Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote