HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hockey Season Needs to Begin, Quickly... - An Open Thread

Old
08-31-2011, 03:43 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

vCash: 500
Hockey Season Needs to Begin, Quickly... - An Open Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Has the payroll jumped about $28mil since pre-lockout?
Has the salary cap floor not been imposed post lockout.

**** this. The fact I hold I different belief about the future of the team makes me a debby downer or earns me the title of radical with no rational solutions to our team's problems. I wrote for the team for two years, I have been a play by play and color commentator for a college hockey team. I am currently a writer for said hockey team and soon to be tv color commentator for the team. I am not some bumpkin and I am tired of being treated like one.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 04:04 PM
Preds311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post

**** this. The fact I hold I different belief about the future of the team makes me a debby downer or earns me the title of radical with no rational solutions to our team's problems. I wrote for the team for two years, I have been a play by play and color commentator for a college hockey team. I am currently a writer for said hockey team and soon to be tv color commentator for the team. I am not some bumpkin and I am tired of being treated like one.
No, just means you don't understand what a Small Market team can bear and how they can't spend like other teams in the NHL.

Preds311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 04:07 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I get tired of being labelled all "sky is falling" or "negative" for pointing out this is not been his best offseason.

I've supported almost everything the Predators have done, even with the things I don't like, I understand them most of the time. Like I said, I understood the Franson move, it sucks but that's life in the small market.

I don't understand the feet dragging that has been going on with our 3 star players, I don't like that we haven't really addressed the goal scoring issues. On the flip side, I understand FA market was nuts and not money well spent. I understand letting Goc and Ward both walk for more money.

I love what Poile does with the draft but I hate the way he handles contracts. I hate that Arnott, Dumont and Kariya had to call Nashville. I loved the Steve Sullivan trade.

And I for one, like the way David Legwand plays center......
It's the "new attitude" that came over with a lot of the posters that migrated from the nashvillepredators.com boards. I stopped using those boards in 2003 because of the groupthink, "Jump on everyone that says anything negative" mentality, or the tendency to group everyone that doesn't pollyanna every little thing in with "bandwagon" fans. It's extremely annoying, and now unfortunately, it lives over here. Oh well.

Once upon a time, this was a board for discussion, now it's a pep rally.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 04:13 PM
PredsChik

Quote:

No. You holding a different belief about the future doesn't earn you either of the titles. From what I can tell, your opinion is shared by quite a few on here. The way you are responding to people who have different opinions on the matter is why I'm irked by most of what you've posted in this thread.

Just because we're not all flying off the handle about this whole mess doesn't mean we're okay with it. I'm not in the "zomg! Poile sux" camp. Yeah, he's made some bonehead moves this offseason (I'm mostly talking about the RFA deadline mess) but I don't hold Weber holding out agaist him as much as you and I'm not ready to crucify him because we haven't drafted a Crosby or traded for Parise or hell, even not having Radulov extended, like somebody was crying about.

I'm just excited for camp to be starting in 17 days and I don't want to be pinned with being okay with mediocrity because I'm excited for it. I can't control what happens and neither can you, just be happy that this ****** ass summer is ending and we'll have better things to talk and argue about.

Last edited by PredsChik: 08-31-2011 at 04:19 PM.
PredsChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 04:14 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsChik20 View Post
No. You holding a different belief about the future doesn't earn you either of the titles, the way you are responding to people who have different opinions on the matter is why I'm irked by most of what you've posted in this thread.

Just because we're not all flying off the handle about this whole mess doesn't mean we're okay with it. I'm not in the "zomg! Poile sux" camp. Yeah, he's made some bonehead moves this offseason (I'm mostly talking about the RFA deadline mess) but I don't hold Weber holding out agaist him as much as you and I'm not ready to crucify him because we haven't drafted a Crosby or traded for Parise or hell, even not having Radulov extended, like somebody was crying about.

I'm just excited for camp to be starting in 17 days and I don't want to be pinned with being okay with mediocrity because I'm excited for it. I can't control what happens and neither can you, just be happy that this ****** ass summer is ending and we'll have better things to talk and argue about.
Can I just delete my post and put +1 with this quote instead? Great post...

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 04:28 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsChik20 View Post
No. You holding a different belief about the future doesn't earn you either of the titles. From what I can tell, your opinion is shared by quite a few on here. The way you are responding to people who have different opinions on the matter is why I'm irked by most of what you've posted in this thread.

whatever. I admit I am guilty of putting gasoline on the fire, but other people are just as guilty as I am. Personal attacks have gone both ways.

What barrytrotzneck said is exactly how I feel about this site. I've decided I am going to stop posting here since there clearly is some kind of kosher mindset with some poster and if you disagree with them you get poopooed as if you are a misbehaving child. I will probably post come season time but for now I am done.

Old
08-31-2011, 06:32 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
whatever. I admit I am guilty of putting gasoline on the fire, but other people are just as guilty as I am. Personal attacks have gone both ways.

What barrytrotzneck said is exactly how I feel about this site. I've decided I am going to stop posting here since there clearly is some kind of kosher mindset with some poster and if you disagree with them you get poopooed as if you are a misbehaving child. I will probably post come season time but for now I am done.
I'm with you time to find a new home....

I'll still post here, just not in the Nashville section. I've been on this site since '97, I'll just wait for the group to fade out.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 06:41 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I'm with you time to find a new home....

I'll still post here, just not in the Nashville section. I've been on this site since '97, I'll just wait for the group to fade out.
I am still planning on posting but not for a while. There is just a certain group of posters that seem to kill any incentive to post.

But I agree, time to look elsewhere.

Old
08-31-2011, 06:58 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

For all I know I'm one of the posters you two are mentioning, but regardless I wanted to just say that it might be worth a shot to just ignore those with whom you have a problem. It sounds like there are only a few. Anyway, just a thought.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 07:10 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

You can block the ignorant people you know! Ive had to use it before

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 07:11 PM
Top 6 Spaling

So we have different opinions. Isn't that, like, the whole point of these boards? People are here to voice their ideas. It doesn't mean we have to be enemies with them, it just means we disagree. All we need is a nice 5 game win streak and all sins will be forgiven

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 07:13 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post

So we have different opinions. Isn't that, like, the whole point of these boards? People are here to voice their ideas. It doesn't mean we have to be enemies with them, it just means we disagree. All we need is a nice 5 game win streak and all sins will be forgiven

Old
08-31-2011, 07:16 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Not now. Please not now. I think we have more important things to thing about....

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 07:17 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
For all I know I'm one of the posters you two are mentioning, but regardless I wanted to just say that it might be worth a shot to just ignore those with whom you have a problem. It sounds like there are only a few. Anyway, just a thought.
Eh, it's more than you think.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 07:19 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

That's fine. I just would hate to lose posters who contribute to the discussion over something that might be remedied with the ignore feature. Often times people forget that posters can be ignored, as can entire threads. I know it took me a while to remember that was an option before people really started to bother me.

Like I said, though, I just wanted to put it out there. It's ultimately up to everyone to decide whether or not they post.

Old
08-31-2011, 07:20 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Not now. Please not now. I think we have more important things to thing about....

How dare you say human lives are more important than people having different opinions on some online message boards!

Really though, +3. In honor of Belak

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 07:22 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
I've been pretty quiet this summer due to all the negativity. I know my opinion carries some weight with some posters, but to most I'm just another poster and that's exactly who I want to be.

We've debated the same issues time and time again this summer. As with every summer we have clamored for a big free agent signing to address our offense, but we didn't get it. We've gone through some horrible PR cycles this summer that have fueled the passion of some posters to take things to the extreme and not listen to anyone or anything because their minds have been set. That takes all the fun away from posting.

As a moderator, if there is a new post...I read it. I might disagree with that post, but I still read it. I frequently find myself writing responses and simply deleting them because it simply isn't worth my effort. That's something I've done for a long time, but it's happened more and more this summer.

Especially with the untimely passing of Belak this afternoon, hockey season needs to start. We need to have new news to discuss. We need to see the boys back on the ice so that we can debate their progress or decline, debate the merits of every roster move, every lineup, and every play.

At one point after the Weber arbitration we had 7 threads active. That was absurd and lead to the one big Weber thread. It finally died down only to become active again the past few days and the same arguments made again and again with people again digging their heels in and shouting because they don't want to listen to the other side. Unfortunately in this current global climate we far too frequently attack the person we disagree with rather than their message.

Hockey needs to start again.

We're not going to limit who can participate here based on hockey knowledge or writing skills or whether or not they believe Legwand is a bust, but we will continue to monitor for personal attacks and obviously start handing out infractions on a far more frequent basis when people cross that line. Debate the merits of a thought all you want. Put threads on ignore. Put posters on ignore. Those are all options open to you at this site.

Unlike other boards, we have 24/7/365 moderation. If you see something you don't like and believe that it crosses the line, use the report feature. It's simple. It'll be addressed in a timely fashion and we can move on.

I really don't know what else to say. This is a community. Just like in the real world we frequently disagree about the direction of the community. That's the life of any community. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss the direction of our community. My inbox is always open...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 07:56 PM
glenngineer

Hey, here's one for you, remember the first game we won in OT in the playoffs and the unlikely hero? Remember the first playoff series win and how good that felt? Remember when we lost game 6 to Vancouver and how amazing our fans were to each other, our team and the Canucks? That's something I never want to forget.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 08:23 PM
cleangene

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Hey, here's one for you, remember the first game we won in OT in the playoffs and the unlikely hero? Remember the first playoff series win and how good that felt? Remember when we lost game 6 to Vancouver and how amazing our fans were to each other, our team and the Canucks? That's something I never want to forget.
All of these WONDERFUL memories seem like decades ago, ESPECIALLY with the ultra-sad news of today. To these vengeful hockey gods who are destroying our happiness...........SCREW YOU!!!!!!!!!!

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 08:23 PM
keslerburrows

Quote:
That was awesome. The one team Vancouver faced in the playoffs that I didn't feel bitter with them after all was done. You guys have a great fan base!

keslerburrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 08:33 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleangene View Post
All of these WONDERFUL memories seem like decades ago, ESPECIALLY with the ultra-sad news of today. To these vengeful hockey gods who are destroying our happiness...........SCREW YOU!!!!!!!!!!
The gods have their reasoning. But we shall prevail! The cup is coming to NSH this year! FOR BELAK!

Old
08-31-2011, 08:46 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by keslerburrows View Post
That was awesome. The one team Vancouver faced in the playoffs that I didn't feel bitter with them after all was done. You guys have a great fan base!
This really is one of the best fan bases in the league. Around here (HF) we aren't as prevalent as most, which I think is a good thing to be honest. We don't have very many posters who do nothing but bash the opposing opinion (or the poster who holds it). There has been some tension, and at times outright heated posts, which I think shows the passion that we have for this sport. The summers get long down here, but I have faith in our fan base. Once the season rolls back around I think we'll once again show everyone around the league just how great these fans down here are, and since we gained notoriety during the Vancouver series I feel like we'll be more in the spotlight than we really ever have been before. We just need to survive one another for a couple of more weeks

And SLake, I didn't want to quote your post because of its length, but I agree with what you said. Everyone is free to have their own opinion. I think by and large this place is pretty tolerant of even the most absurd idea. The trouble we've run into now is that we have absolutely NOTHING new to talk about, so every idea, popular or not, absurd or well-thought out, is getting run through the ringer. It's just adding to our frustrations.

Today has been a very somber day. One of the brightest spots in Predators history passed away much too soon. I hope if one good thing can come from the news of Belak's death it's that we, as fans and human beings, can put this entire game, and our attachment to it, into perspective. We all have our opinions. We all have things that frustrate us. We all lose our patience, and we all have emotions. That isn't exclusive to hockey fans. The owners, the management, the coaching staff, the trainers, the players. They all have the same flaws we all have. They all have families and friends who love them dearly. They all will, at some point, come to the ends of their lives. The luckiest of us get to enjoy a full life, and have wonderful people mourn us when we are gone. The rest of this is just meant to entertain us. Discussions are great. Perspective is hard to gain sometimes, but it's more important than disagreements.

Old
08-31-2011, 10:17 PM
Nitrous Mafia

wat is happening in this thread?

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 10:25 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by brah View Post
wat is happening in this thread?
To be honest, I created it to separate the discussion at the top from the Weber thread and respond to some of it. The thought "Summer can't end soon enough" has been something I've wanted to scream for a long time this summer and I think we've gotten to that point around here.

With the untimely passing of Belak this afternoon, I thought this would be a good place for folks to sound off a bit, find some levity, and really remember what this community is here for. The hate and vitrol most arguments on the boards descend into nowadays seems so petty in light of today's news.

Hockey season needs to begin so that we can be distracted. So we can cheer and laugh again. So we can have new items to discuss. And most importantly to distract us from the pitfalls of everyday life which is what entertainment is all about.

It's an open thread...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 10:44 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
who hacked your account?

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote