HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Joe Colborne

Old
08-19-2011, 03:16 PM
IAMNUMBER777

vCash: 500
Joe Colborne

What do you think will become of Colborne?? When do you see him making the line up?? Will he be up at all this year?? Do you think he is capable of playing #1 center or more of a #2 center

IAMNUMBER777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 03:27 PM
gabeliscious

barring an injury i dont see him getting called up this season. i think he is being groomed to become a good two way center. these skills should be learned at the AHL level not at the NHL level.

i think its too soon to know how good he will be and to label him a number 1, 2 etc. he has size, and has a good head on his shoulders. when he was playing on bostons farm team he wasnt doing to much but as soon as he started playing for the marlies his offensive numbers improved immediately.

i think if he can put up ppg numbers in the AHL and be responsible defensively and be close to 50% at the faceoff he will have a real shot at becoming our number 1 center

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 03:29 PM
Kessley Snipes*

Connolly
Grabovski
Lombardi
Bozak

These players are all ahead of him on the depth chart at the moment. I doubt they would bring him in to play a 4th line role so that really only leaves Connoly and Grabovski's spot to take. The only real scenario I can see is if Lombardi isn't ready to play and they need to slot somebody in on the wing.

Kessley Snipes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 03:38 PM
The Beyonder

Colborne will being starting in the AHL this season... He has stiff competition and is pretty low on the depth charts, esspecially if Lombardi is healthy. If Lombardi is out for awhile he might get some games in if he impressess, but it`s not looking good for him. I hope he impressess.

Right now the depth chart is

Connolly
Grabovski
Lombardi
Bozak

I don`t see Colborne fighting with Bozak for the 4th centre position. He might be able to fight for 3rd if he impresses and Lombardi is unhealthy for a long while.

The Beyonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 03:42 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

He's more than capable but in the end I think he will be a very very good second line center. I just hope we let this guy develop to his fullest, and eakins can do that as he is a GREAT coach and always is one on one with players.

So I hope we keep him down there for the entire season if necessary till he blossoms into a person who can play with consistency in the big leagues and maybe add a bit of a mean streak in his game, because with his size those would be punishing hits.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 03:43 PM
JAMmer124
Independent Living

colborne will be called up if one of or top 3 centres get injured, if lombardi isnt playing.

colborne has the tools to be a real good second line centre, maybe even a first liner who knows. as others have said, his defensive game needs to be polished before he can be a quality nhl centre.

this year is a big year for him, especially if he plays with either Kadri or Frattin all year in the A

JAMmer124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 03:46 PM
PresidentCamacho*

Can someone can answer a pretty difficult question I have pertaining to Joe Colborne, that being:

Has there been any full-time NHL'er in history who has made the jump from AJHL to WCHA to AHL to NHL?

PresidentCamacho* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 03:48 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentCamacho View Post
Can someone can answer a pretty difficult question I have pertaining to Joe Colborne, that being:

Has there been any full-time NHL'er in history who has made the jump from AJHL to WCHA to AHL to NHL?
From WCHA im sure there has been some that went to NHL i blieve the other I don't know. AHL it's possible.

Old
08-19-2011, 03:53 PM
TyBOZAK*

Will become a solid #2/3 center in his career, my guess is he sticks with the Marlies. But if anyone gets injured he'll be the first call up.

TyBOZAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 03:55 PM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

Theres absolutely no question that he has the potential and all the tools to be an amazing 1st line center. He just needs to work out some kinks. He needs to be a bit more physical, and learn how to play a full game, and not just 40 minutes. (sound familiar? -Kadri last year), But if anyone can teach him how, its Dallas Eakins. By the end of the Marlies season, Colborne had played i think 20 or so games, and had already changed the player he was before he came. He was more physical, more dominant and was a force in front of the net. He'll need another maybe, 6 months in the Marlies and then come up. Hes still a little away, but Id love to see him make the team straight out of camp. I think hes alot closer than people give him credit for.

So, basically, I think that Colborne will be a #1 center, and a very, very good one at that for a very long time. Him and Kessel will be a force to be reckoned with. Just needs a tiny bit more seasoning. Many people have him written off or only think hes capable of being a 2nd line center, but he truly can (and I believe will) be a great 1st line star.

Michael Gary Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 03:56 PM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Quote:

Dany Heatley did it skipping the AHL.

Matt Frattin will also try to do it.

Found a link:

Krys Kolanos
Dixon Ward
Fernando Pisani
Troy Murray
Gary Valk
Rene Bourque

Last edited by StarBurns RIP: 08-19-2011 at 04:04 PM.
StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 03:57 PM
PresidentCamacho*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
From WCHA im sure there has been some that went to NHL i blieve the other I don't know. AHL it's possible.
It's more the AJHL -> WCHA -> NHL linkage I'm looking for.

Old
08-19-2011, 04:06 PM
EazyB97

Quote:

Mason Raymond and Rene Bouque went AJHL --> WCHA --> AHL --> NHL, so there's at least two. Bourque won't have the AJHL in his TSN profile, but he played for St. Albert before leaving for College. A number of others went AJHL --> NCAA --> AHL --> NHL and Heatley meets all of the criteria aside from the AHL.

EazyB97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 04:07 PM
PresidentCamacho*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsol View Post
Here's a simple question which I bet you'll give us a ******** answer on...

Would you be asking this question if Colborne wasn't a Leaf prospect and we were discussing other team's prospects instead? Or it is, as usual, one of your eternal attempt to bash Burke despite the fact that picking up a guy like Colborne for Kaberle is the sort of move you've been advocating since Burke came in?
I probably wouldn't pay much attention to a prospect that's three years removed from his draft and on another team. I have been advocating drafting and developing top talent so your off-base on my opinions and once again I find myself telling you that I don't need homers like you putting words in my mouth. I don't think you addressed my PERFECTLY ON-TOPIC QUESTION either. That's called de-railing a thread.

Thanks to StarBurns and Eazy for answering it.

Old
08-19-2011, 04:16 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:

How about Turris? BCHL probably along the same lines as the AJHL.

If they are grooming him for center it will be more difficult for him than a player without those same responsibilities on the wing.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.

Babs - short for Barbara
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 04:26 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
How about Turris? BCHL probably along the same lines as the AJHL.

If they are grooming him for center it will be more difficult for him than a player without those same responsibilities on the wing.
he was brought in but they sent him down to the AHL, i think it was out of desperation they made that move, it really was a bad move for him.

Old
08-19-2011, 04:26 PM
Stringer Bell

His numbers in Providence weren't great, but if you look at all the scorers, no ones numbers were great. He still hit 20 goals last year, he will hit 30-35 with a full year on the Marlies.

Stringer Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 04:30 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer Bell View Post
His numbers in Providence weren't great, but if you look at all the scorers, no ones numbers were great. He still hit 20 goals last year, he will hit 30-35 with a full year on the Marlies.
Hockeydb has him at 213, and at his height that sounds little bit on the suspect/light side.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 04:37 PM
LeafsandSharksfan
Cero Miedo

Barring major injuries, I don't see him being called up this season, unless we're out of it near the end and brass wants to give him a few try-out games.

Logng-term, I'd say he slots in as a solid second-line center, in the same mould as someone like Antropov.

LeafsandSharksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 05:03 PM
donkeyy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsandSharksfan View Post
Barring major injuries, I don't see him being called up this season, unless we're out of it near the end and brass wants to give him a few try-out games.

Logng-term, I'd say he slots in as a solid second-line center, in the same mould as someone like Antropov.
Hopefully with two fully functioning knees. Antropov would've been pretty wicked if he had any semblance of speed...

donkeyy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 05:09 PM
Lightsol

Quote:
I probably wouldn't pay much attention to a prospect that's three years removed from his draft and on another team. I have been advocating drafting and developing top talent so your off-base on my opinions and once again I find myself telling you that I don't need homers like you putting words in my mouth. I don't think you addressed my PERFECTLY ON-TOPIC QUESTION either. That's called de-railing a thread.
Considering the specific way you worded it, putting emphasis on "in history", suggests that you were looking for another excuse to bash the management. But I forgot, only "homers" like me think it's a good idea to trade for promising prospects. He's damaged goods, right?

And it's not derailing a thread if I specifically ask if what you're asking, specifically the way you worded it, suggests that you were just looking for another opening to start ranting about the current management.

Lightsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 05:54 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsandSharksfan View Post

I feel like artem ansimov is a great comparison for Joe. He will start the season with the Marlies (unless he has a Phenomenal pre season) and play there until someone above him on the depth chart is injured.

calcal798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 07:03 PM
mooseOAK*

His issues didn't appear to be much more than a lack of bulk, I see him starting in the AHL and being an injury call up.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 07:11 PM
Baba Ganoush

the Connolly signing gives Colborne some time to develop. hopefully he'll be a top 6 C in the next year or two. i really think he'll be a very good NHL player.

Baba Ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 07:39 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Ganoush View Post
the Connolly signing gives Colborne some time to develop. hopefully he'll be a top 6 C in the next year or two. i really think he'll be a very good NHL player.
Same, strong defensive play with about 50-60 pts per year.

calcal798 is offline   Reply With Quote