HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

a thread for line combinations

Closed Thread

Old
08-12-2004, 11:10 AM
burner10115

vCash: 500
Rucinsky- Allison- Jagr
Lundmark- Nylander- Balej
Garth Murray- Holik- Ortmyer (Moore can switch with Ortmyer if neccesary)
Strudwick- Betts- Moore

Tyutin-Poti
Kasparitus- Kondratiev
Pock- Rachunek

Dunham
Labarbera

I know it might sound ridiculous to sign another center but i believe it is neccesaary, and well worth it if the contract is right. We keep Jagr happy with Allison, free up Holik to make a checking line, and have Nylnder to setup Balej, and LUndmark. I believe that putting Holik on a line with BAlej and Lund is out of the question. He's a checking center that isnt suited to Balej's sniper game or Lunds style (wutevr u mite call it). They need open ice and a setup man, and that is why I would put Nylander in their. He can set those 2 up, and help find the open ice for them, which will obviously make it easier for the 2 to adjust and learn the game from a quality setup man. Nylander also has not proven he is a first line centr so putting him on as a sec. line cener is less risky and it will help the club in the longer run because Lunds and Balej will develop bettr on his line than if Holik centrd it.
Allison is kinda risky, but like I said, if the contract ir right, which it shoud be, then we should sign him. pple. r going to say that it sounds like the Lindros thing all over again, but I dissagree. If we sign him rite, with clauses and evrything, and keep him at a similar contract like Nylander's where we can trade, then it makes sense. If he goes down, the team will be able to recover with Holik and Nylander and a filler centr, which isnt too bad. Now I know sum1 is asking why not keep it that way with Holik as 2nd centr with Nylander 1st, but I think Allison is worth the risk b/c we will have pple. to fill his spot if neccesary.

He wil also free up Holik to go on the checking libe which is sumthing I feel is very important b/c that is wut we r paying Holik the big bucks for. Not to pretend to be an offensive centr that can feed the youngsters. Nylander should be there for that. Murray and Ortmyer will learn from Holik, as will Lunds and Balej from Nylander. That makes more sense because all compliment each others style, whereas a line with - Lunds- Holik- Balej - just wont work. Holik is a defensive centrmen first and foremost, that can also cash a few goals here and there as a bonus. Balej definitely is not great in the d-zone, he's a sniper first and foremost, offensive. Same with Lunds, his d-game isn't great either, and both Lunds and Balej would not be physical enough to go on a checking line with holik if any1 is thinking of that. Their d is not good enough to cut it, and because we are rebuilding, why teach sumthing they don't need to know. Stick them on a line with Nylander so they can learn to score goals form a quality setup man who will help them. Let Murray and Ortmyer mold their games around Holik, and let Holik do what he does best, check. That way we keep the kids' futures going forwards, not stuck in neutral, and they have some quality vets to learn from.

Then we have the Gritty 4th line with our enforcer, Betts as the hard worker, and Moore who is the only fit that i'm not happy about, because he is bettr than 4th line material. He and Ortmyer can switch so both can learn off of Holik.

Then we have the d-pairings. Basically all the young guys have to be paired with a vet. to learn from, but we can't have 2 off. d-men on one line. So, Tyutin is paired with Poti, b/c Tyutin plays a solid 2 way game, while Poti will provide offense. (It's kind of an iffy pairing cuz Tyutin could get shelled with Poti if he isn't ready yet.) Then we have Kaspar and Kondratiev. Kondrat is a stay at home defensemen first and foremost, (he nevr leaves the blueline) but he posseses a decet shot from the point and can play a little offense if it doesn't jeopardize his position. Kaspar. can be careless with the puck sumtimes. but Kondrat will be there to covr for him as he is always in position. Then we have Pock and Rachunek. Pock being offensive, and Rach being d-fensive, but he can make the good outlet pass. If rachunek can play a decent defensive game, then this pairing is set.

Then we have the goalies, who will hopefully stop sumthing while we wait for our prospects. Larbarbera proves wut he can do as a regualr backup, and our goalies keep learning.

Those r my lines, love them or hate them, that's wut I think.

Old
08-12-2004, 11:43 AM
Fletch

Wow...

this team does have a shot at Crosby, after reading posters' ideas of line combos. Some thoughts...if there is a season...Helminen will be in the AHL. Hollweg will be, at best, in the AHL. Reasoning? Hollweg had an OK year points-wise in the WHL while turning 21 and playing against teen agers. It was his first season back from a serious injury, so give him credit for putting forth such an effort, but he still has a ways to go before making it to the NHL. Helminen...just a guess, but he's still young, coming out of college just a bit early, and could use some time to get used to the game and work on the offensive side of his game a bit, while improving defensively against tougher competition.

Old
08-12-2004, 11:51 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Lundmark - Nylander - Jagr
Rucinsky - ________ - Balej
J. Green - Holik - Ortmeyer
G. Murray - Betts - Strudwick

I still think a 2nd line centre is needed, I think Lundmark is better suited for the wing

Kasparaitis - Poti
Tyutin - Kondratiev
Rachunek - Pck

Weak defense is the key to a high draft pick

Old
08-12-2004, 12:26 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
this team does have a shot at Crosby, after reading posters' ideas of line combos. Some thoughts...if there is a season...Helminen will be in the AHL. Hollweg will be, at best, in the AHL. Reasoning? Hollweg had an OK year points-wise in the WHL while turning 21 and playing against teen agers. It was his first season back from a serious injury, so give him credit for putting forth such an effort, but he still has a ways to go before making it to the NHL. Helminen...just a guess, but he's still young, coming out of college just a bit early, and could use some time to get used to the game and work on the offensive side of his game a bit, while improving defensively against tougher competition.
I disagree on the shot at Crosby especially after Sather signs (or trades) for another top 6 forward and defensive D-man, which I think he will...I also disagree on Hollweg...Before his injury, IMO, he was a better player then Murray and showed that in his stint with Hartford that he wasn't out of place at all..last year for Hollweg was all about showing he was healthy and working off the rust..He did that and scored almost 60 points while being the leader and captain of a team that went to the Memorial Cup finals...I think, at the least, he will be in Hartford.......I agree that Helminen should start in Hartford, but if no more C's are signed he as a decent chance against the so far unproductive Lundmark, the always hurt Betts, and Moore...

Old
08-12-2004, 01:11 PM
Fletch

Hollweg did prove himself...

although as a 20-21 year old in the WHL I'd expect more production out of a future NHLer...he was off his production from his season two years prior. I hope the kid makes it, I'm just thinking he's not all the way there yet.

Old
08-12-2004, 01:47 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
McAmmond-Nylander-Jagr
Rucinsky-Lundmark-Balej
Moore-Holik-Samuelsson
Murray-Betts/Helminen-Ortmeyer

Extras: Jason Strudwick, Richard Scott, Trevor Gillies, Mike Green, Steve MCKenna

McGillis/Todd Simpson-Pock/Lampman
Kondratiev-Tyutin
Kasper-Rachunek

Extras: MacMillan, Purinton

Todd Simpson would be a good signing for us. 6'3 tough dman and is physical and will stick up for teammates.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/player_b...30&hubName=OTT

Last edited by BDubinskyNYR17*: 08-12-2004 at 01:52 PM.
Old
08-12-2004, 02:47 PM
AG9NK35DT8*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
Using Caps, periods (...) and even the occasional paragraph break would make it a lot easier to read what you are trying to say.

Not trying to crimp your style, I'm just trying to avoid a migrane.
None taken ill try to do that.

Old
08-12-2004, 10:13 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
McAmmond-Nylander-Jagr
Rucinsky-Lundmark-Balej
Moore-Holik-Samuelsson
Murray-Betts/Helminen-Ortmeyer

Extras: Jason Strudwick, Richard Scott, Trevor Gillies, Mike Green, Steve MCKenna

McGillis/Todd Simpson-Pock/Lampman
Kondratiev-Tyutin
Kasper-Rachunek

Extras: MacMillan, Purinton

Todd Simpson would be a good signing for us. 6'3 tough dman and is physical and will stick up for teammates.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/player_b...30&hubName=OTT

I like the first 2 lines but I'd still love to see Ortmeyer, Holik and Murray playing on the same line. These three would be amazing, I also think they need to resign McCarthy.

On defense...i'd prefer Tyutin in the top pairing..otherwise mcgillis would b great and where did Poti go? I know he sux but he's not gonna disappear.... Sather will prolly play him 2nd pairing.

Old
08-12-2004, 11:26 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancid
I like the first 2 lines but I'd still love to see Ortmeyer, Holik and Murray playing on the same line. These three would be amazing, I also think they need to resign McCarthy.

On defense...i'd prefer Tyutin in the top pairing..otherwise mcgillis would b great and where did Poti go? I know he sux but he's not gonna disappear.... Sather will prolly play him 2nd pairing.

Why resign Sandy? He dont fight, he is useless. Id rather have someone who can kill penalties or someone who will fight to take his place. Id take McKenna over Sandy. And I think Todd Simpson would be a good addition. Eventhough we are stocked at defense, at least Simpson has some size to clear the crease.

Old
08-13-2004, 08:15 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
And I think Todd Simpson would be a good addition. Eventhough we are stocked at defense, at least Simpson has some size to clear the crease.
Here we go again. Ok, we sign him. Now, which of these younger players does not get to play becuase we signed him? Either Tyutin, Pock, Kondratiev, or even Lampman will not get to play becuase of Simpson. You certainly know that he is not taking the spot of Poti, Kasper, or Rachunek.
It's one thing to advocate signings, but in a rebuilding team, why would you sign an older veteran, just to see one of the younger hopefulls loose ANY chance of making the team?

Old
08-13-2004, 08:29 AM
Fletch

I liked Simpson a lot...

two years ago, and 8 years ago. I think he may've lost a step, quickly over the last season or so and may be the typical Ranger UFA acquisiton - a guy who was somewhat competent as a top four guy, and is expected to be the same, all-the-while being a third pair guy and being a disappointment. I wanted him on the Rangers a couple seasons ago when he was traded for a second rounder. I don't think it's wise right now.

Old
08-13-2004, 09:43 AM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

There's gotta be a way to deal Poti..........

We don't need him!!! He's aweful on defense and he doesn't hit!! at 6"3!!!
We also have 2 other offensive defensemen...Tyutin and Pock!

There's gotta be a way... some team that lacks an offensive defenseman and a former all-star may have inquiries about him.

Or he could just be dealt to Toronto since Toronto will take anybody! Even though they have their share of Offensive dmen
Maybe Antropov for Poti.....sure they both suck..but the Rangers can use the size and they could also use a LW... and antropov can put in 40 pnts.... He is also young. Then they could sign a vet stay-at-home dman.....and then fill in the other holes such as the 2nd line LW....

so sign Rucinsky, McGillis, McKenna

Antropov - Nylander- Jagr
Rucinsky- Lundmark- Balej
Murray- Holik- Ortmeyer
McKenna- Gernander- McCarthy

McGillis- Tyutin
Pock- Kasparaitis
Rachunek- Lampman/ Kondratiev

Dunham
LaBarbera

Old
08-13-2004, 10:24 AM
True Blue

Quote:
There's gotta be a way... some team that lacks an offensive defenseman and a former all-star may have inquiries about him.
There is no way. I recall when everyone had Atlanta giving up their #1 for him, becuase they so desperately needed him. Poti was exposed last year. We are not the only ones who watched. You can bet that other GM's were watching him. Given his atrocious play and his contract, there is no moving him. Might as well pray that he has a wonderfull year and raises his value to something besides zilch. There is no point in dumping him for a bag of pucks.

Old
08-13-2004, 11:12 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
two years ago, and 8 years ago. I think he may've lost a step, quickly over the last season or so and may be the typical Ranger UFA acquisiton - a guy who was somewhat competent as a top four guy, and is expected to be the same, all-the-while being a third pair guy and being a disappointment. I wanted him on the Rangers a couple seasons ago when he was traded for a second rounder. I don't think it's wise right now.
Well I really think our defense is a bit soft as of clearing the crease. We got Purinton but he is not a crease clearer, same can be said for Kasper who is a big hitter but too small for clearing the crease, so who we got to fill that roll? No one..

Old
08-13-2004, 11:26 AM
Fletch

Getting a crease clearer...

at the expense of a guy who may get beat outside a lot solves one problem and creates another. Net net, the crease is clearer when he's out there, but forwards are running circles around him hence no difference at all, except for the look. We would complain about something else.

Old
08-13-2004, 11:57 AM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
There is no way. I recall when everyone had Atlanta giving up their #1 for him, becuase they so desperately needed him. Poti was exposed last year. We are not the only ones who watched. You can bet that other GM's were watching him. Given his atrocious play and his contract, there is no moving him. Might as well pray that he has a wonderfull year and raises his value to something besides zilch. There is no point in dumping him for a bag of pucks.
Atlanta was gonna give a 1st Rounder for him?????? Rangers are a truly stupid for not doing that....its sad that even the leafs won't take him...
How was he exposed last year but everyone thought he was great the year before...

Last edited by ChrisKreider20: 08-13-2004 at 02:47 PM.
Old
08-13-2004, 12:16 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Atlanta was gonna give a 1st Rounder for him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rangers are a truly stupid for not doing that....its sad that even the leafs won't take him...
Atlanta was NEVER going to give up the 10th overall pick for Poti. I have no idea of what your sources are, but you are wrong. And what is so sad about the Leafs defense? A defense with Leetch, McCabe, Klee, Marchment, & Kaberle does not need a Poti.

Old
08-13-2004, 12:28 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Atlanta was gonna give a 1st Rounder for him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rangers are a truly stupid for not doing that....its sad that even the leafs won't take him...
How was he exposed last year but everyone thought he was great the year before...
Would you want the Rangers to give up a 1st round pick for Poti? Of course not. So why would Atlanta?

Old
08-13-2004, 12:49 PM
Onion Boy

I think the deal being mentioned around here had the Rangers packaging Poti with our #24 pick to move up to #10. Still way off the mark, but that's what I recall.

Old
08-13-2004, 02:48 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
Atlanta was NEVER going to give up the 10th overall pick for Poti. I have no idea of what your sources are, but you are wrong. And what is so sad about the Leafs defense? A defense with Leetch, McCabe, Klee, Marchment, & Kaberle does not need a Poti.

I thought that you said they did??? I got it from ur last post....
I didn't say there was anything bad with the leafs D..but what is bad is that they have too many Offensive dman...soft ones...like leetch and kaberle...

anyways
Torontos d is not sad...what's sad is the fact they wouldn't even take em....they usually are rumoured to want everyone and welcome a couple of new stars/semistars every year.

Last edited by ChrisKreider20: 08-13-2004 at 02:52 PM.
Old
08-13-2004, 03:44 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
We don't need him!!! He's aweful on defense and he doesn't hit!! at 6"3!!!
We also have 2 other offensive defensemen...Tyutin and Pock!

Or he could just be dealt to Toronto since Toronto will take anybody! Even though they have their share of Offensive dmen
Maybe Antropov for Poti.....sure they both suck..but the Rangers can use the size and they could also use a LW... and antropov can put in 40 pnts.... He is also young. Then they could sign a vet stay-at-home dman.....and then fill in the other holes such as the 2nd line LW....

so sign Rucinsky, McGillis, McKenna

Antropov - Nylander- Jagr
Rucinsky- Lundmark- Balej
Murray- Holik- Ortmeyer
McKenna- Gernander- McCarthy

McGillis- Tyutin
Pock- Kasparaitis
Rachunek- Lampman/ Kondratiev

Dunham
LaBarbera

Id rather have a guy like Samullesson or some young kid than Sandy I dont fight McCarthy.

Old
08-13-2004, 04:28 PM
True Blue

Quote:
I didn't say there was anything bad with the leafs D..but what is bad is that they have too many Offensive dman...soft ones...like leetch and kaberle...
Ok, they have Leetch and Kaberle. However, McCabe, Marchment, Klee, and Berg hardly qualify as making a defense soft.

Old
08-13-2004, 06:54 PM
AG9NK35DT8*

Quote:
, I also think they need to resign McCarthy.

u did watch rangers games when he played right??? so why in the hell would u want to resign him. dont score dont shoot dont pass DONT FIGHT like he is suppose to atleast once in a while, dont protect. so again my ? is why resign i think maybe u are a little confused

Old
08-13-2004, 07:06 PM
AG9NK35DT8*

Quote:
Here we go again. Ok, we sign him. Now, which of these younger players does not get to play becuase we signed him? Either Tyutin, Pock, Kondratiev, or even Lampman will not get to play becuase of Simpson.
and how about this we have no toughness really in the lineup. so here we go again which one of our young players are going to get beat up on a daily basis, maybe lundmark, balej. pock, moore ( if he earns a spot) shall i go on cause we dont have no tough vets either if u think about it. holik is a puss@ and jagr and nylander are not gonna do anything against teams such as philly, toronto etc...

i think simpson would be good. some of these vets they sign ( sturdwick -lw or defense , simpson)could be used only against certain teams at certain times give the tougher guys starts against philly , toronto, nj etc and let the young guys or finesse players get some time agianst less tough teams. everything has to pan out . these young kids cant get beat up daily, u do understand that right???? they will be scared to death to carry the puck, without getting wacked or checked or something, toughness provides a sense of security. as long as there is toughness teams that have tough players will not go after guys cause they know the tough guys are here to protect, with out them that just gives brashear worrel tucker hordichuk etc to go after the young guys and goal scorers

Old
08-13-2004, 07:14 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG9NK35DT8
i think simpson would be good.
The Rangers have a chance to give 3 or 4 promising young defenseman a shot to play meaningfull minutes. And you want to give one of their spots away to a Todd Simpson. Simpson was good 5 years ago. I would not send any of Tyutin, Pock, Kondratiev, or Lampman to Hartford just so that Todd Simpson can come and collect a check here.
And as for toughness, the Rangers are going to have a team that will have not only Holik and Kasper, but also Murray, Betts, and almost assuredly one of Purinton, Grenier, or Strudwick (in as 4th line wings) in the lineup at the same time. That does not look like they will be lacking toughness.

Closed Thread