HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

Do Players In The OHL Go To High School?

Old
03-29-2011, 12:09 AM
nyislesx23

vCash: 500
Do Players In The OHL Go To High School?

Junior hockey is very competitive and time consuming, do these kids attend regular High School or get home-schooled or another alternative

nyislesx23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 12:55 AM
Kekumba

Send a message via AIM to Kekumba Send a message via MSN to Kekumba Send a message via Skype™ to Kekumba
They go to any regular high school as far as I know.

I went to high school with Calvin deHaan and he came back from Oshawa after the regular season and finished off 12th grade with everyone he grew up with. Up until that point during the regular season I'm not exactly sure what he did, though.

Kekumba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 01:23 AM
OHLTG

I believe most are in school. I can't guarantee all are, though.

OHLTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 05:48 AM
saska sault

CHL players are suppose to be enrolled in school to the best of my knowledge. If not in high school, then college or university or an academic upgrading program.

saska sault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 06:39 AM
dannyboy8920
I cheer for Losers

First year College, have a General in my class. Missed a lot of class and when he was there didnt do too well.

dannyboy8920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 06:53 AM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

All highschool aged kids go to school. Most University/College ages players go there.

Most have special programs that factor in all the time missed.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 06:54 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Some may use private tutors.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 07:05 AM
Ward Cornell

All high school aged players attend high school.
A few ago the government decreased the schooling from 5 years to 4 years but a lot of players have a reduced work load so they don't get overwhelmed. I know that some teams have an education consultant that communicates with the high schools and also travels with the team on road trips to tutor the players.
Some of the older players are in university (as a matter of fact I know of two players that went on to become doctors).

Two players are in my daughters class (Year 4) and one is near the top of their 2 math classes and the other is meh.
Just like the general population some players do well, some don't.

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 05:03 PM
Torts

schedules are manipulated to factor in the season

many classes are Monday Tuesday Wednesday as Friday-Sunday is typically with the team

tough schedule im sure

Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 07:28 PM
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen

vCash: 50
As said above, the team has someone in charge of the teams education. High School Players attend school, and many attend college or university. I believe players need to stay relatively close to their old marks, or they get in trouble somehow.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 10:48 PM
Garyboy

They're mostly involved in a gifted athletes program within their school.

Garyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 11:39 PM
krazy kanuck

I think almost everything has been covered off, but here's my insight:

- I went to school with many Newmarket Royals (Sarnia Sting). As said above, some were pretty bright and others were not. To my knowledge, we didn't have a "gifted athletes" program...but that was several (almost 20 ) years ago. They went back to their own schools after the Royals missed the playoffs (halfway through second semester).

- They plan road trips so that the kids miss as little school as possible. That's why you see almost no Monday and Tuesday games, and very few Wednesday / Sunday night games. Players would miss some Thursdays and Fridays when they were on the road - but they had to catch up.

- The Colts all go to the same high school as my oldest, and from what I understand they now do something with their spare to make things easier too (all last class spares to accommodate practice I think). I'm not sure what they do for the underagers who wouldn't have a spare.

- I think they usually try to have kids at a semestered school so that it's less disruptive. I also think that's why the trade deadline is so early in the season.

P.S. - Mark Scheifele was in at Cornell - and you have to be pretty smart to get in there. Some of these kids are quite bright.

Best,
Shawn

krazy kanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 08:21 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
ya they do. Here in Sudbury they try to keep the high school aged Wolves at the same school.

When I was in my early years at Laurentian, I would see a few of them (Nick Foligno is the only one i can name) there. They really thought they were something too. They would sit at their own table in the caf surrounded by a bunch of puck bunnies, always on their cell phones. I'm sure there are a few that still go to LU, but I dont recognize any of the current players

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 08:28 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
ya they do. Here in Sudbury they try to keep the high school aged Wolves at the same school.

When I was in my early years at Laurentian, I would see a few of them (Nick Foligno is the only one i can name) there. They really thought they were something too. They would sit at their own table in the caf surrounded by a bunch of puck bunnies, always on their cell phones. I'm sure there are a few that still go to LU, but I dont recognize any of the current players
They don't all think that. Here the school where all our highschool aged players go to probably has the most stuck up kids who think they're something but the majority of the hockey players don't have that attitude.

Kind of off topic but I wonder what happens if a kids from that city but goes to a diffrent highschool, would they have to switch to the school thats supporting their program or would they stay?

Old
04-01-2011, 09:43 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
Kind of off topic but I wonder what happens if a kids from that city but goes to a diffrent highschool, would they have to switch to the school thats supporting their program or would they stay?
I think it's situational. I spoke with John Chartrand, who is a Barrie kid and he billets. His home is on the other side of town. I am pretty sure Hutchinson lived at home when he was here. If you were close enough, and attending another high school, you could probably manage it if you're old enough to drive and have access to a vehicle.

Cheers,
Shawn

Old
04-01-2011, 09:54 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
I think it's situational. I spoke with John Chartrand, who is a Barrie kid and he billets. His home is on the other side of town. I am pretty sure Hutchinson lived at home when he was here. If you were close enough, and attending another high school, you could probably manage it if you're old enough to drive and have access to a vehicle.

Cheers,
Shawn
Devante Smith Pelly in Mississauga is from the area, but also billets. Its about team and fitting into the team system. There is no pressure to do so, but some kids do it to prove that they are part of the unit.
He also transfered schools (they where fairly close to one another as well).

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 11:11 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Do they billet so they're roomed with another player? I know the fitting in part but if you live in the same city its kind of a waste. I mean Kitchener hasn't had someone whose from here for awhile I think but you would never be more than 15-20 minutes away from the arena anyway depending on where you live. Some cities are diffrent though I guess.

Old
04-02-2011, 04:10 AM
Sanderson

What about imports, do they go to high school even if they have finished school in their country before coming over?

Would seem a bit weird to have someone who finished school with a lower degree to focus on his hockey-career suddenly go to school again.

Sanderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 08:08 AM
JL17

London has alot of hometown kids and as far as I know they attend there same schools before they went to the OHL. Kids that are out of towners usually go to Saunders Secondary. The was what was happening 5-7 years ago.

Once there done HS a great deal have gone to Western and taken courses and London has also allowed players not to go to school but those must be more active in the community. That's what I've heard.

JL17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 03:42 PM
GoLeafsGo96

My buddy plays for the Whalers, right now not enrolled in any schooling as he graduated highschool last year. Taking the year off just to focus on hockey.

They go to school throughout the week, but in my buddy's case (last year), he went till 11:30 every day. Then home, or to the rink for practice.

Obviously for game days, and road trips the schedual changes for them. Hockey first, School second.

GoLeafsGo96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 04:34 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLeafsGo96 View Post
Hockey first, School second.
Hello,

Not so sure of this generalization. I know there were certainly some kids I went to school with who were very strong students (Nathan Lafayette comes to mind) and for whom school was an equal priority. I believe that's still the case now, from what I understand from my oldest with respect to some Colts.

Cheers,
Shawn

Old
04-06-2011, 04:07 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLeafsGo96 View Post
My buddy plays for the Whalers, right now not enrolled in any schooling as he graduated highschool last year. Taking the year off just to focus on hockey.

They go to school throughout the week, but in my buddy's case (last year), he went till 11:30 every day. Then home, or to the rink for practice.

Obviously for game days, and road trips the schedual changes for them. Hockey first, School second.
I guess if your buddy is still playing in the OHL and has graduated from high school last year.
I don't know how you can say "hockey first and school second!"
It seems like he did a good job on combining both!

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 06:23 PM
Epoch

Yes. Went to high school with many Oshawa Gens players in Whitby.

Epoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 07:59 PM
saska sault

I went to school with alot of Hounds, and the majority of them do their school work and have it handed in on time, and come to school everyday. There was always a few who skipped class, or just did not do any school work, but they were few and far between for the most part. They leave school early to practice, but have tutors and school staff help them with assignments on the road and what not.

Off topic, but interesting... I have seen 2 Hounds traded while attending class. The teacher answered the phone, and it was Dave Torrie looking for Grant McGee.. Grant took the phone, told the class and his buddies he was traded and left class. Would have thought they would tell him after school, or at practice.. but he took it pretty well.

saska sault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 08:50 PM
dogfan

In Niagara all the IceDogs attend the same high school. We have been very lucky to have guys like Friesen, Agozzino and the Hamilton brothers here to show that some kids are capable of getting excellent marks.
I also had heard that the IceDogs had looked into sending high school kids to the local private school (Ridley College). They have dorms and other after hours education facilities (a nice brand new rink the team could practice at to) that would be a big help to the kids but unfortunately it is cost prohibitive. I think if the league/teams really wanted to push education and compete with the NCAA bound kids they would try to find a way to get their players in these types of schools.

dogfan is offline   Reply With Quote