HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings Sign Ethan Moreau [1 year, $600K]

Old
08-22-2011, 01:45 AM
Willard
Kings All The Way

vCash: 500
Very happy to have Ethan Moreau here at that price. Welcome to Los Angeles.

BTW my take on "bubble" guys like Clune or Cliche is, they have to beat out actual NHL players, or they don't deserve to be on an NHL team.

Setting the bar high for competition just to be on the squad is what must happen if you REALLY want a winner in this league.

If it comes down to playing either Moreau or Cliche in a critical game -- it's like, come on now, let's be serious.

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 08:23 AM
kingsfan
Doing the PR for RP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard View Post
Very happy to have Ethan Moreau here at that price. Welcome to Los Angeles.

BTW my take on "bubble" guys like Clune or Cliche is, they have to beat out actual NHL players, or they don't deserve to be on an NHL team.

Setting the bar high for competition just to be on the squad is what must happen if you REALLY want a winner in this league.

If it comes down to playing either Moreau or Cliche in a critical game -- it's like, come on now, let's be serious.
I'm thinking about it more on the lines of the message it sends to those guys. If I was Cliche or Clune, and seen this signing, I would begin to wonder if the team has any real desire to bring me up. A training camp invite spurs that competition, but Moreau has been given the job in an already crowded forward group. I could see the Manchester forwards looking at training camp as little more than a meet and greet with real NHLers. I'd rather send the message that there is a chance to make the team, and there is a chance to develop through the ranks and reach LA.

kingsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 08:47 AM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Moreau was plan b. Drury was plan a.

I think Madden was plan b. Moreau seems more like plan w.

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 09:49 AM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
I'm thinking about it more on the lines of the message it sends to those guys. If I was Cliche or Clune, and seen this signing, I would begin to wonder if the team has any real desire to bring me up. A training camp invite spurs that competition, but Moreau has been given the job in an already crowded forward group. I could see the Manchester forwards looking at training camp as little more than a meet and greet with real NHLers. I'd rather send the message that there is a chance to make the team, and there is a chance to develop through the ranks and reach LA.
I'd sooner hurt Cliche and Clune's feelings by icing a better team than leave a hole in my lineup to serve as a dangling carrot for the rookies. Anyways, this could very well provide extra motivation for them in camp.

Ollie Weeks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 10:18 AM
kingsfan
Doing the PR for RP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Weeks View Post
I'd sooner hurt Cliche and Clune's feelings by icing a better team than leave a hole in my lineup to serve as a dangling carrot for the rookies. Anyways, this could very well provide extra motivation for them in camp.
I do as well. I'm just saying I'd rather have had Moreau be a camp invite than be handed a spot before camp. Not sure why Moreau shouldn't have to earn the spot either and I don't see the benefit of basically telling all the forwards in Manchester that there's virtually no chance you make the big club this year, barring a rash of injuries or bad play.

Old
08-22-2011, 10:51 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
I do as well. I'm just saying I'd rather have had Moreau be a camp invite than be handed a spot before camp. Not sure why Moreau shouldn't have to earn the spot either and I don't see the benefit of basically telling all the forwards in Manchester that there's virtually no chance you make the big club this year, barring a rash of injuries or bad play.
You are saying you agree but in the same breath advocating lowering the bar for the rookies. If they play well enough, they'll earn a spot. People on here are saying Ethan Moreau is a dog. He shouldn't be too hard to beat out for a spot if that is the case. If anything this just puts more pressure on Parse to perform in camp. He is the guy standing up when the music stops at this point. If a rookie can not beat out Ethan Moreau or Scott Parse or potentially even Brad Richardson and Trevor Lewis, they don't belong on the team.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 11:06 AM
HYORI 1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
I get what you're saying. It's not easy being a prospect in kings organization right now. Especially for a guy like Clune who's always given his all. It's just unfortunate for him that he's bit undersized for what we need.

However, I'm just ecstatic with this signing and can't wait for the season to start. I love character guys who can bang and Moreau's right up there with the best of them imo.

I do find it interesting that there are far more negativity on our board in regards to Moreau's signing than there are on Hammond's site.

HYORI 1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 11:26 AM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

I'm okay with the signing. If he sucks, we waive him or send him down (or I guess sit him in the press box). The way I look at it, this is extra motivation for the kids to work hard. If they're ready for the NHL, they should be able to beat out Moreau who is on his last legs of his career. If they can't, they don't belong here. I'd rather have this happen, than the kids coming in thinking that one of the spots is theirs. It's good to have healthy competition.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 11:31 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
I do find it interesting that there are far more negativity on our board in regards to Moreau's signing than there are on Hammond's site.
That isn't the least bit surprising to me. This thread would be 15 posts if this signing had occured around the first week of July. Instead there is little to talk about right now except scrutinizing the signing of a guy who will probably spend at least half of the season in the press box. Moreau provides depth and experience. People who are calling question into his character need to realize that there are 20+ other guys in the room and I doubt Moreau is going to come in and disrupt it.

Lood down the roster, there is plenty enough chance of injury and guys are more than likely going to get an opportunity if they earn it. There is nothing wrong with earning it instead of plugging holes with rookies since there aren't better options.

Old
08-22-2011, 11:33 AM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
With Fraser injured to start the year, and if the Kings plan on keeping 14 forwards, there is an open spot.

For $600,000, Moreau pretty much is on a tryout. He is the definition of a cheap veteran. If anyone from Manchester is better than him, Moreau will easily be replaced. If not, then there is a guy who has at least been through a few NHL playoff games on the roster.

KingsFan7824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 11:45 AM
HYORI 1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
That isn't the least bit surprising to me. This thread would be 15 posts if this signing had occured around the first week of July. Instead there is little to talk about right now except scrutinizing the signing of a guy who will probably spend at least half of the season in the press box. Moreau provides depth and experience. People who are calling question into his character need to realize that there are 20+ other guys in the room and I doubt Moreau is going to come in and disrupt it.

Lood down the roster, there is plenty enough chance of injury and guys are more than likely going to get an opportunity if they earn it. There is nothing wrong with earning it instead of plugging holes with rookies since there aren't better options.
I think only a handful of posters here are actually happy with this signing. The rest are either indifferent or critical of it. On Hammond's board, a large majority are happy to have Moreau join the kings.

Perhaps, this signing would have gotten a more favorable response if it had come after DD's signing.

Old
08-22-2011, 11:47 AM
son of earl

Send a message via AIM to son of earl
It's better to have him on the 4th line to give the experience needed on that line instead of icing Lewis Parse/Richardson and Westy that line is decent enough but lacks the experience of what to do in later in the season and wont be exploited as easy. This is out big year for a push for the cup. With Stoll's on his last year.

son of earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 11:56 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
I think only a handful of posters here are actually happy with this signing. The rest are either indifferent or critical of it. On Hammond's board, a large majority are happy to have Moreau join the kings.

Perhaps, this signing would have gotten a more favorable response if it had come after DD's signing.
I don't know how anyone could be unhappy with it. All that does is prove how myopic Kings fans can be. What is the downside if he sucks? The guy is getting paid next to minimum NHL salary. There is only upside with him. If he sucks, oh well.

And like son of earl said, he has more of a bottom six skillset then most of the bottom sixers who have been penciled in.

Old
08-22-2011, 12:07 PM
funky

Does anyone know if Parse is even fully recovered? I like the kid but he is not a 4th line player. He will get his chance with Stoll on the 3rd I would think. A season off in a crucial growing stage may hurt him though. Wouldnt get hopes to high.

Moreau is a good signing, at 600K he wont block anyone, if he isnt producing he will be in the pressbox. Size, grit and leadership. He is a physical speciman that has a great offseason training regiment that will help rub of on others I would think.

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 12:30 PM
Johnny Utah

I was negative about this signing and still feel ambivalent only because I feel it might take a spot from Westgarth for most of the year but in the playoffs having a gritty guy like Moreau is key, he can move up and down a bit more and play more minutes than 5 of our 6 bottom forwards.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 12:33 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Might have something to do with "Hockey's Future"...

He's a veteran depth signing for $600,000. Nothing to get upset about and no reason to plan a parade.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 01:04 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
I was negative about this signing and still feel ambivalent only because I feel it might take a spot from Westgarth for most of the year but in the playoffs having a gritty guy like Moreau is key, he can move up and down a bit more and play more minutes than 5 of our 6 bottom forwards.
I would think you would be happy with the signing. Wouldn't you rather see him get his head pounded in instead of Clifford? Westgarth isn't going to play all 82 games with or without Moreau.

Old
08-22-2011, 01:19 PM
HYORI 1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Might have something to do with "Hockey's Future"...

He's a veteran depth signing for $600,000. Nothing to get upset about and no reason to plan a parade.
I'm planning a parade so, don't go raining on it.

Old
08-22-2011, 01:22 PM
Johnny Utah

Moreau rarely fights anymore or really ever did. He had 0 fights last year, and 2 the year before. His most was 7 and that was in his rookie year, 1996-97.

Which is why I am kinda miffed, they essentially added a veteran who rarely scraps to occasionally replace our enforcer and knocks out Clune, who had 23 fights last year in the AHL and Nolan who had 10.

Old
08-22-2011, 01:24 PM
HYORI 1963
Grit & Character

Yeah, we really don't need Moreau to fight much.

Just knock them on their ass.

Old
08-22-2011, 01:30 PM
Johnny Utah

Ouch.

http://www.insidesocal.com/kings/201...an-moreau.html

Old
08-22-2011, 01:33 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

If EM can show up at camp in his best shape (something that is expected from each of our players) and be used in a very very limited role where he is expected to play defencively first foremost and only and then at best in the 6min per game region I think that he could be a valuable signing.

He plays with heart and loves physical play and also know how to play in his own end. My concern is that he will kill us by trying to recapture his former O days like he has the past two years causing him to become a very big defencive liability due to his lack of speed causing him to become out of position and forcing him to take penalties.

I typically like these kind of signings and hope that this one works out as planned so I can continue doing so but I have to admit that I have less faith than I typically do.

I am biased though because I spend a ridiculous amount of time following developing players and commenting on them so I know for certain that we have better and more capable players in our system who we are either going to have to cut free or use at some point.

I would rather have gone with giving one or two of our kids the shot not only based on capabilities but also because of the message that you want/need/must send to your kids on the farm and that is that they are playing their way up to the NHL and that it is actually possible as long as they keep working as hard as humanly possible.

So signing EM for ONE season is acceptable enough as it doesn't say that there isn't going to be a spot, just that our kids aren't ready just yet. We will see.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 01:33 PM
kingsfan
Doing the PR for RP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
You are saying you agree but in the same breath advocating lowering the bar for the rookies. If they play well enough, they'll earn a spot. People on here are saying Ethan Moreau is a dog. He shouldn't be too hard to beat out for a spot if that is the case. If anything this just puts more pressure on Parse to perform in camp. He is the guy standing up when the music stops at this point. If a rookie can not beat out Ethan Moreau or Scott Parse or potentially even Brad Richardson and Trevor Lewis, they don't belong on the team.
I think we can all safely say Moreau isn't a dog. You don't captain a team and play 900 games by being a dog.

I'm not advocating lowering the bar for rookies. I want the best team possible, and if that means Moreau than I'm the first one in line. What I am saying is that signing Moreau now, rather than making him earn the job in camp sends the wrong message to the guys in Manchester. Really, the only possible spot that could have been up for grabs in camp was as a 4th liner, and now that is gone before camp even starts. I mean yes, it is possible for the Clune's, Cliche's etc to make the team, but now they don't have to just meet Moreau's level, they have to exceed it noticably, since I'm sure management isn't to keen on sticking Moreau in the minors, and even a small buy out hit, if we can buy him out, hurts come the trade deadline. If I'm someone like Clune, I don't see how I'm getting any playing time in the NHL this year, outside of there being several injuries to the forward ranks.

Old
08-22-2011, 01:37 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
The injuries he picked up last season aren't going to end up being the ones that ended his career. His knee injuries might though. Knowing the people we use to determine these things I think he will clear his physical alright. How long he can keep himself together this year.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 01:37 PM
kingsfan
Doing the PR for RP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
With Fraser injured to start the year, and if the Kings plan on keeping 14 forwards, there is an open spot.

For $600,000, Moreau pretty much is on a tryout. He is the definition of a cheap veteran. If anyone from Manchester is better than him, Moreau will easily be replaced. If not, then there is a guy who has at least been through a few NHL playoff games on the roster.
Maybe there is a spot. And it's not a try-out, or there wouldn't be a $600,000 price tag by his name. Even that as a buy-out could potentially affect cap space at the tarde deadline.

I know it's unlikely to occur, and really in the end this signing in all likelihood isn't a big issue, but I'd rather not take the chance now and just pick up a guy like Moreau at the trade deadline instead.