HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > General Sports
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

All Purpose Tennis Thread II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-20-2011, 04:21 PM
  #1
kihei
Registered User
 
kihei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,876
vCash: 620
All Purpose Tennis Thread II

This is a link to the last thread: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...1#post36077001

...so on we go...


Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 08-20-2011 at 09:10 PM.
kihei is online now  
Old
08-20-2011, 04:25 PM
  #2
kihei
Registered User
 
kihei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,876
vCash: 620
Didn't see either of today's matches. Does Murray have a chance?

Anybody have any insights on the women's half of the tournament? Petkovic and Sharapova seem to have put together very good back to back weeks.

kihei is online now  
Old
08-20-2011, 05:04 PM
  #3
Novak Djokovic
#12 and counting...
 
Novak Djokovic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Didn't see either of today's matches. Does Murray have a chance?

Anybody have any insights on the women's half of the tournament? Petkovic and Sharapova seem to have put together very good back to back weeks.
I can comment on the men's matches only. Murray against Fish was just a troubling match to watch. In the second set, at one point, both players were broken twice consecutively. At the high point, Murray definitely has a very good chance, but then goes into periods of total garbage tennis... which makes it difficult to predict.

Murray's serve is not really a huge threat for Novak. He just lacks the speed, or the ability to throw aces to save himself from like a 15-40 games. In long rallies, I think Novak will benefit more, but both players like them so it can be tricky to predict.

Serve: Novak
Backhand: Novak
Forehand: Even (If I had to pick one, I'd go with Nole)
Net game: Even
Passing ability: Even
Intangibles: Novak (I mean, his confidence is sky high)

Given all that, on any day, Murray does have the ability to beat Novak. If I had to predict, I'd go with Djokovic in three close sets. Hopefully, both players are fresh and ready for a very good match on Championship Sunday.


EDIT: Berdych vs. Novak match - Berdych was playing superb tennis for the first eight games. Novak went into another "tanking" mode... He looked disinterested (like he did with Stepanek and Monfils), but as soon as he saw that Berdych was vulnerable, he stepped it up and just outright dominated to win 4 straight games.

Novak Djokovic is offline  
Old
08-20-2011, 08:50 PM
  #4
Deficient Mode
Dril Maher
 
Deficient Mode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 55,619
vCash: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by #11_THEBEST! View Post
Novak was always leading (or usually beating) the opponent so I don't think he has gotten a "break", or I am not implying that you're saying that... just simply stating.
No, I didn't mean to say it was a break, but rather that Djokovic was so intimidating that players who had injuries that they otherwise would fight through gave up when Djokovic got ahead of them, while they might not have done so against a lesser opponent. I am pretty sure Fognini said something like that when he withdrew from the quarterfinals at Roland Garros this year.

Anyway, I think Djokovic will win in straight sets tomorrow.

Deficient Mode is offline  
Old
08-20-2011, 10:35 PM
  #5
kihei
Registered User
 
kihei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,876
vCash: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by #11_THEBEST! View Post
I can comment on the men's matches only. Murray against Fish was just a troubling match to watch. In the second set, at one point, both players were broken twice consecutively. At the high point, Murray definitely has a very good chance, but then goes into periods of total garbage tennis... which makes it difficult to predict.

Murray's serve is not really a huge threat for Novak. He just lacks the speed, or the ability to throw aces to save himself from like a 15-40 games. In long rallies, I think Novak will benefit more, but both players like them so it can be tricky to predict.

Serve: Novak
Backhand: Novak
Forehand: Even (If I had to pick one, I'd go with Nole)
Net game: Even
Passing ability: Even
Intangibles: Novak (I mean, his confidence is sky high)

Given all that, on any day, Murray does have the ability to beat Novak. If I had to predict, I'd go with Djokovic in three close sets. Hopefully, both players are fresh and ready for a very good match on Championship Sunday.
I'd say that sounds like a very even-handed estimation. One other point: Nole has won their two meetings in 2011, one on clay and one, of course, on hard court (Australia).

Sharapova versus Jankovic in the women's finals.

kihei is online now  
Old
08-21-2011, 12:02 AM
  #6
Novak Djokovic
#12 and counting...
 
Novak Djokovic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
I'd say that sounds like a very even-handed estimation. One other point: Nole has won their two meetings in 2011, one on clay and one, of course, on hard court (Australia).

Sharapova versus Jankovic in the women's finals.
Yeah, that clay match was one of the best this year. His streak was about to end, but he pulled it off in the third set tiebreak. Murray simply got dominated in the Australian open so let's see the adjustments he tries to make in his game.

It's about time Jankovic finally came back to where she belongs. After the 2008(?) US Open finals, she just disappeared from the Women's Tennis. I'll take Sharapova though, but the game should be fun as both players are excellent at ground strokes.

Novak Djokovic is offline  
Old
08-21-2011, 09:11 AM
  #7
kihei
Registered User
 
kihei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,876
vCash: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by #11_THEBEST! View Post
It's about time Jankovic finally came back to where she belongs. After the 2008(?) US Open finals, she just disappeared from the Women's Tennis. I'll take Sharapova though, but the game should be fun as both players are excellent at ground strokes.
I hope Maria wins because she is my favourite female tennis player, but, as always these days, her serve will tell the tale one way or the other.

kihei is online now  
Old
08-21-2011, 12:38 PM
  #8
kihei
Registered User
 
kihei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,876
vCash: 620
Desultory first set, with both players often looking like they are suffering from hangovers. Nole's serve seems to just limp in and he is making unforced errors by the carload (3-16 w/ue ratio at the moment), nearly all coming on his forehand side....and Murray takes the set. Wouldn't be too surprised if Djokovic semi-tanked the second set. He doesn't much look like he wants to be on a tennis court at the moment....medical time out for Nole. The doctor is working on his upper arm and shoulder. Good thing Nole has an off week coming up...I'm surprised he's continuing actually....

Second set: Murray breaks in the first game as Nole's service continues to lack any punch whatsoever....this is becoming really painful to watch...and after being broken a second time (through no fault of Murray ), for love-3, Djokovic retires from the match. I give Novak some points for even trying to start the set, and I give no points to Murray for being totally unable to provide the proper coup de grace.

Certainly raises some questions for the US Open. At the moment, it is totally up for grabs.

Damn, I had the right idea this week, I just bet on the wrong horse.


Last edited by kihei: 08-21-2011 at 01:11 PM.
kihei is online now  
Old
08-21-2011, 03:49 PM
  #9
Hadoop
25 to Life
 
Hadoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,308
vCash: 500
Good on Murray for taking the Cinci title but IMO it means oh so little in the grand scheme of things.

Looks like neither Rafa nor Nole is 100% right now.... Federer are you paying attention to this? Get yur game together already you over-the-hill chump!

Hadoop is online now  
Old
08-21-2011, 07:12 PM
  #10
Novak Djokovic
#12 and counting...
 
Novak Djokovic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,591
vCash: 500
Maria is so tough mentally. I was watching the women's final with my dad, and he was like, "yeah, this match is over" after the first two games in the second set. I refused to believe that, and I ended up being right.

Novak Djokovic is offline  
Old
08-22-2011, 09:27 AM
  #11
Tuggy
Registered User
 
Tuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,030
vCash: 50
Some good news:

Quote:
@milosraonic Milos Raonic
I saw the doctor last wednesday, and I am happy to report my hip is fully healed, I'm excited and happy, now its time to get into shape.

Tuggy is offline  
Old
09-06-2011, 09:45 AM
  #12
Tuggy
Registered User
 
Tuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,030
vCash: 50
Quote:
@Tennis_Canada Tennis Canada
Canada's @DavisCup team for their World Group playoff vs Israel from Sept. 16-18: Nestor, Polansky, Pospisil & #Raonic. #CdnTennis
Best squad we could probably send. Big matchup!

Tuggy is offline  
Old
09-07-2011, 07:54 PM
  #13
kihei
Registered User
 
kihei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,876
vCash: 620

Rafa, by Rafael Nadal, with John Carlin: A dozen things I learned about Rafa from reading his autobiography:

1) He has a lot of anxieties that have earned him the nickname "Scaredy Cat" from his sister;
2) He's seen Djokovic coming in the rearview mirror for a long time, and he seems to fear him;
3) He is very dependent on his family for support;
4) Tony is a sadist, but he has found a very willing accomplice in his nephew;
5) Rafa would chew his own arm off before he would ever do anything publicly to embarrass his parents;
6) His parents are both definitely good people;
7) He has a really cool, very independent girlfriend who is not the least enthralled with waiting on Rafa's needs on the road, so she stays home most of the time and avoids the limelight like the plague;
8) Though more than a little single-minded, he is a genuinely nice guy;
9) He really did have a close to perfect childhood;
10) He doesn't have a lot of interests beyond tennis, family and a little modest hanging out back in Mallorca.
11) He's a boy living in a very well-structured, highly supportive bubble, which suits everybody's needs, for the time being anyway.
12) Outside of tennis, he's kind of boring really (as is Roger, probably; Nole might be fun to get a beer with, though). So, too often, is this book (boring, that is; not fun to get a beer with).


Last edited by kihei: 09-07-2011 at 09:01 PM.
kihei is online now  
Old
09-07-2011, 09:25 PM
  #14
Hadoop
25 to Life
 
Hadoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post

Rafa, by Rafael Nadal, with John Carlin: A dozen things I learned about Rafa from reading his autobiography:

1) He has a lot of anxieties that have earned him the nickname "Scaredy Cat" from his sister;
2) He's seen Djokovic coming in the rearview mirror for a long time, and he seems to fear him;
3) He is very dependent on his family for support;
4) Tony is a sadist, but he has found a very willing accomplice in his nephew;
5) Rafa would chew his own arm off before he would ever do anything publicly to embarrass his parents;
6) His parents are both definitely good people;
7) He has a really cool, very independent girlfriend who is not the least enthralled with waiting on Rafa's needs on the road, so she stays home most of the time and avoids the limelight like the plague;
8) Though more than a little single-minded, he is a genuinely nice guy;
9) He really did have a close to perfect childhood;
10) He doesn't have a lot of interests beyond tennis, family and a little modest hanging out back in Mallorca.
11) He's a boy living in a very well-structured, highly supportive bubble, which suits everybody's needs, for the time being anyway.
12) Outside of tennis, he's kind of boring really (as is Roger, probably; Nole might be fun to get a beer with, though). So, too often, is this book (boring, that is; not fun to get a beer with).
Not surprizing... the book can't exactly be a tell-all when the guy is in the prime of his career and in the limelight constantly. It would have made a lot more sense if this came out after he retired.

Hadoop is online now  
Old
09-13-2011, 07:57 AM
  #15
Tuggy
Registered User
 
Tuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,030
vCash: 50
Sportsnet will be carrying Canada's Davis Cup match this weekend with Israel (starts Friday). Early start times, like 7 AM EST or something like that. And they will be playing at Canada Stadium, how fitting.

http://www.daviscup.com/en/results/t...ieId=100016230

Hopefully Raonic isn't too rusty and is ready to go.

Tuggy is offline  
Old
09-13-2011, 08:19 AM
  #16
Deficient Mode
Dril Maher
 
Deficient Mode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 55,619
vCash: 681
Spain vs. France should be good, especially if Nadal plays.

Does anyone think the players will actually form a union? Or was that just a few guys (namely Roddick, Nadal, and Murray) in the bottom of the draw angry about the scheduling, who will forget all about it now that the event is over?

Deficient Mode is offline  
Old
09-13-2011, 08:25 AM
  #17
Tuggy
Registered User
 
Tuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,030
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deficient Mode View Post
Spain vs. France should be good, especially if Nadal plays.

Does anyone think the players will actually form a union? Or was that just a few guys (namely Roddick, Nadal, and Murray) in the bottom of the draw angry about the scheduling, who will forget all about it now that the event is over?
Nadal says he is playing.

Quote:
@DavisCup Davis Cup
Nadal on travelling to Spain for #DavisCup: "If it wasn't because I'm representing my country, I wouldn't make the effort." (via abc.es)

Tuggy is offline  
Old
09-13-2011, 09:27 AM
  #18
kihei
Registered User
 
kihei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,876
vCash: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deficient Mode View Post
Spain vs. France should be good, especially if Nadal plays.

Does anyone think the players will actually form a union? Or was that just a few guys (namely Roddick, Nadal, and Murray) in the bottom of the draw angry about the scheduling, who will forget all about it now that the event is over?
I think the various issues that concern the players may have reached a tipping point at the US Open, and I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't take some form of collection action.

How did this work anyway? I don't remember exactly. I think that initially the players and tournament directors formed an alliance because of the dictatorial power of the International Lawn Tennis Federation (I think it was called that or something like that) and the repressive nature of the various national federations, and then this alliance didn't work because tournaments and players don't always have the same interests. Is that close? If it is in the ballpark, then the next logical step would seem to be an independent union.

kihei is online now  
Old
09-13-2011, 10:55 AM
  #19
Dom
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 666
vCash: 500
According to these tournaments webpages, Raonic will play in Metz (250), Kuala Lumpur (250) and Tokyo (500) before the Shanghai Masters.

Dom is offline  
Old
09-13-2011, 11:19 AM
  #20
Deficient Mode
Dril Maher
 
Deficient Mode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 55,619
vCash: 681
This article describes how the players got more control over the tour, albeit not in much depth. The players should have more collective control over the scheduling, especially at the US Open. 3 days for the first round and Super Saturday are bad for the players. The US Open is by far the most overly corporate of the slams, too. Is there another slam where the announcer tells the player and the whole stadium in the award ceremony exactly how much prize money he or she earned? Where a player gets cut off in a ceremony so that a prized sponsor can talk instead, as Del Potro was? It seems that the sponsors are more important than the players in general, and I think that that only contributes to the players worries that the tournament organizers aren't concerned most of all for the health of the players.

Deficient Mode is offline  
Old
09-13-2011, 12:48 PM
  #21
Hadoop
25 to Life
 
Hadoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,308
vCash: 500
Interesting how all the top players are participating in the Davis Cup this weekend... until you realise that the International Tennis Federation’s Olympic rules stipulate that in order for a player to be eligible for the olympics, a player must be “in good standing with their national association and the ITF, and have made themselves available for selection to represent their country in Davis Cup or Fed Cup for two of the following years—2009, 2010, 2011, 2012—provided one of those years is 2011 or 2012.”

Still regardless of the circumstances we have two star-studded semi-final matchups on tap with 11 of the top 20 singles players in the world(!)

Hadoop is online now  
Old
09-13-2011, 06:56 PM
  #22
Hadoop
25 to Life
 
Hadoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,308
vCash: 500
Also a couple of interesting questions to consider in the aftermath of the US Open:

1) Now that Novak has 'figured him out', will Nadal be able to overcome Djokovic's psychological advantage, or will the rivalry be fairly one-sided for years to come as his style simply doesn't match up well with Novak's (much like Federer against Nadal)?

2) What are Rafa's chances of surpassing Federer's record 16 Grand Slam victories (and counting) when all is said and done? At the end of last year I would've said it was highly probable, almost inevitable, but given what's transpired over the past 8 months it's anyone's guess IMO.

Hadoop is online now  
Old
09-13-2011, 10:05 PM
  #23
kihei
Registered User
 
kihei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,876
vCash: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser008 View Post
Also a couple of interesting questions to consider in the aftermath of the US Open:

1) Now that Novak has 'figured him out', will Nadal be able to overcome Djokovic's psychological advantage, or will the rivalry be fairly one-sided for years to come as his style simply doesn't match up well with Novak's (much like Federer against Nadal)?

2) What are Rafa's chances of surpassing Federer's record 16 Grand Slam victories (and counting) when all is said and done? At the end of last year I would've said it was highly probable, almost inevitable, but given what's transpired over the past 8 months it's anyone's guess IMO.
In reverse order:

2) Rafa, who has ten GS titles, has nine more GSs before he hits the dreaded 28th birthday, after which further GSs for players not named Agassi are exceptionally problematic (Sampras won two; Federer one). He probably needs to win at least five of those nine slams to have a legit chance of tying Federer. Unless Djokovic reverts to his old ways and time stands still, I very much doubt Rafa will catch Federer now.

1) He threw everything he had at Nole last night, fought like an absolute lion, and still came up short, physically and probably mentally, too. The combination of Nole's return of service prowess and Nadal's relatively weak service game (see stats from my post in the last US Open page) make it highly unlikely that Nadal will gain the upper-hand again without help from Novak. But Nadal has a ton of heart so I don't think it impossible for him to gain something closer to parity with Djokovic. But the effort needed is Herculean at this point because as you point out, his game now matches up very poorly with Nole's game.

kihei is online now  
Old
09-14-2011, 07:50 AM
  #24
Deficient Mode
Dril Maher
 
Deficient Mode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 55,619
vCash: 681
Nadal still has two to four GS titles in him as long as he stays healthy and motivated. Nole can't win them all, especially when one considers that he has never defended any slam or masters title - gluten-free or not - and as of now there's no one else who will have much of a chance to beat Nadal in slams. Nadal might have better chances at Wimbledon than at Roland Garros now, as I think grass doesn't suit Djokovic as well as clay. The slam record isn't the only thing that matters, either, and I think it is neither the most unassailable of Federer's records nor the most impressive (18 out of 19 slam finals). Still, I hope I can say without seeming too spiteful that those Nadal fans who said Federer wasn't the GOAT because of his head-to-head with Nadal or even said that Nadal was the GOAT for the same reason should appreciate that there is no flawless transitive property of tennis greats - which doesn't mean one can't argue there have been better tennis players than Federer for other reasons.

Deficient Mode is offline  
Old
09-14-2011, 09:42 AM
  #25
kihei
Registered User
 
kihei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,876
vCash: 620
My argument would go something like this:

Top 25 Federer Achievements

1) 16 Grand Slam titles.
2) 18 out of 19 Grand Slam finals
3) Reached all 4 Grand Slam finals at least 5 times (no one else has done it four times)
4) Winning 5 consecutive titles at 2 different Grand Slam tournaments
5) Overall, winning 24 consecutive finals
6) Between 2004-2010, Federer reached 23 consecutive Grand Slam semifinals, breaking the previous record of 10 (!) held by Ivan Lendl
7) Holding the #1 ATP Ranking for 237 weeks (Federer is the first player, male or female, to rank #1 for more than 200 consecutive weeks)
8) Between 2004-2007 compiling a 247-15 match record
9) Won his first 7 Grand Slam finals
10) Holds the first and second longest streaks on hard courts (56 and 36, respectively)
11) 65 consecutive grass court wins
12) Winning at least one Grand Slam title a year for 7 consecutive years
13) Federer is the only player to win 40 consecutive matches at two different Grand Slams
14) Between 2004-2007, Federer won 11 of 12 non clay court Grand Slams
15) Between 2005-2007, Federer reached an all time men’s record of ten consecutive Grand Slam finals, breaking the record of 7 set by Jack Crawford in 1934
16) Federer is the only male player to play in 7 consecutive Wimbledon finals
17) Federer has reached 30 consecutive quarterfinals in Grand Slam tournaments, breaking the record set by Jimmy Connors and unlike Connors, he did it in consecutive tournaments.
18) With his defeat of Stanislas Wawrinka in the 4th round of the 2010 French Open, he became the first person to win at least 11 consecutive matches at each of the 4 Grand Slams.
19) Federer won a record 26 consecutive matches against top 10 ranked opponents
20) Federer won a record 124 consecutive matches against players ranked outside of the Top 5 in Grand Slam tournaments
21) Back to back titles at 4 consecutive Wimbledons and US Opens
22) Reached all 4 Grand Slam finals in back to back years.
23) Reached 5 consecutive French Open semifinals
24) With the exception of one loss to Del Potro, in 23 Grand Slam final appearances, Federer has lost only to Nadal.
25) Federer is the first male player to be seeded first at 18 consecutive Grand Slam tournaments

I could go on.


Last edited by kihei: 09-14-2011 at 09:52 AM.
kihei is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.