Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Daniel Catenacci TRADE

Old
08-27-2011, 10:42 AM
chi11in88

vCash: 500
Daniel Catenacci TRADE

The Owen Sound Attack is pleased to announce that they have acquired forward Daniel Catenacci from the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds in exchange for forward Andrew Fritsch and a 2nd Round Draft Pick in the 2014 OHL Priority selection.

What is going on in owen sound looks like all in for a repeat OHL championship who is coming back? I know that as a colorado fan we have a kinda weak system so I could see Hishon playing a role in the AHL (if eligible) or even with the big club. So who are you counting on next year

chi11in88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 01:23 PM
OHLTG

Who?

OHLTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 08:33 AM
SimonTemplar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi11in88 View Post
The Owen Sound Attack is pleased to announce that they have acquired forward Daniel Catenacci from the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds in exchange for forward Andrew Fritsch and a 2nd Round Draft Pick in the 2014 OHL Priority selection.

What is going on in owen sound looks like all in for a repeat OHL championship who is coming back? I know that as a colorado fan we have a kinda weak system so I could see Hishon playing a role in the AHL (if eligible) or even with the big club. So who are you counting on next year

I doubt very much this is a " all in " move here. Cat comes in on a demand then the Attack have to move Fritsche the other way, both had almost identical numbers over 2 seasons....so this is no going for it move. It's basically a lateral move for OS grabbing maybe a little more play making skill to replace Hishon's....but Cat is no Hishon or even close. Under pressure in big games in London Hishon would score the most opportunistic goals while that whole situation has never surfaced in Cat's game yet. Maybe he flourishes with fresh start but the Attack also have new coach in Ireland and just how big is losing Reid going to be ? ( real big , trust me )

The Attack will be OK in a weak division and remember it was London that worked them over in round one last year. Yes the Attack took series but it was against a much younger Knight team that many now credit with wakening the Attack up and preparing them for their later run. Go back a few years to Windsor's first Mem Cup season and their opening rnd against London...the most crazy five games I have ever watched in many many years, you either jumped for joy or puked. But you where not let down on lack of action and intensity. The Knight's this year will be neck & neck with Attack I beleive until March 25.

Their first game head to head is Oct 28/ and last meeting is right after deadline on January 27/28 H to H. They will then not meet until a possible April matchup and that's a long way off.

SimonTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 09:06 PM
ohlguy

Owen Sound has lost all their top guns and in my opinion, I think this will kind of a rebuilding year for the Attack. As far as the trade goes, Catenacci is totally the opposite of Fritsche as a player. Cat is a high energy a complete player that is good offensively and defensively. He lead a bad Greyhounds team in points with not much of a supporting cast. Fritsche is an oportunist, he's a goal scorer but also take in account he played on the top line in Owen Sound with two of the top players in the league. Sorry, but in no way is this a lateral move, Owen Sound won this trade hands down.

ohlguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 09:19 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Noob Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlguy View Post
Sorry, but in no way is this a lateral move, Owen Sound won this trade hands down.
Agree 100%.

PhlyerPhanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 09:47 PM
dogsandwings

[QUOTE=PhlyerPhanatic;36274112]Agree 100%.[/QUOTE
After 2 years of waiting for this kid to start scoring i am relieved we have a goal scorer coming this way and with a 2nd round pick i would think we took Owen Sound to the cleaners in this trade..
The Cat has a poor attitude and took some terrible penalties and went into a slump at the worst possible time for the team. All we could say is he worked his tail off ...and i wish him the best of luck and hope he turns into the player so many thik he can be..he just hasn't proved it yet..

dogsandwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 11:23 PM
ohlguy

The kid was having a great season, then even if he went into a long slump, he still was your top scorer. Immagine if he didn't go into a slump? He would have topped 100 points. Don't forget how bad your team was and that he didn't have any good players to play with on such a bad team with a terrible PP. He brings 100% every night so to say he has a bad attitude is not fair and furthest from the truth. Read what his teammates and coach Denny Lambert had to say below if you want to know the truth. With all that broke loose up there like the firing of the coach Lambert then Torrie the GM, I'm sure this wasn't a great environment for the kid in the Soo. Top that with the hiring of an unproven 25 year old GM who has no business in in such a position, I don't blame this kid or his agent for wanting him out of a possible disasterous situation in the Soo again. Owen Sound took the Soo to the cleaners on this one BIG TIME. FYI Fritsche is another player that the new Soo GM represented in the past and has brought to the Soo.

http://www.saultstar.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3268286

"I was surprised when I heard about it," said Carson Dubchak from his home in Kenora, Ont. "Yeah, I guess I could say I'm shocked. I can't say anything negative toward Daniel at all. It's obviously something that he wants for himself."

He said Catenacci is a character guy that "everyone likes." He was a fun guy in the dressing room and full of good humour, and talented.

"He's definitely one of the biggest parts of the team," said Dubchak, who has been with the Hounds for three seasons.

"Even though he's a great guy said David Broll, you can't do anything about it if he's going to leave. There's going to be some gaps to fill now that he's gone, and I think more guys will step up to the plate. It'll give other guys opportunities."

Michael Kantor was upbeat about the Hounds prospects this season, despite losing Catenacci. He said Catenacci is probably doing what he thinks is best to get to the next level.

"I'm behind him with his decisions. We all believe in this group right now. The team that we have now, with or without Daniel, will be a good team," said Kantor, a Chicago native who is in the Sault training.

"I was kind of surprised ... We'll miss him in the locker room."

Trevor Morbeck, from Jackson, Wis., says losing Catenacci will impact the team.
He said Catenacci is a good player and it's a tough loss, however, that's hockey.
"Guys get traded, they ask for trades. It's all part of the game and that's how it goes."

Old
08-29-2011, 01:23 AM
dogsandwings

Bottom line is Fritsch has improved his stock over the last year Catenacci's has fallen..scouting reports on Fritsch are far more positive then for the Cat.
Throw in a second rounder who maybe better player then him and we are far ahead of the game.
Excuses are for loser's...
Everyone here is happy with the trade..in fact some are estatic.
This could be one of the biggest mistakes Catenacci's parents and handlers have made..it certainly has not helped his image as a hockey player

Old
08-29-2011, 02:21 AM
dogsandwings

Read Monday's Sault Star for more.....i don'tknow how to post the article or i would..

Old
08-29-2011, 03:04 AM
OHLTG

Here's one column I found...

Pre-draft comments apparently paved the way for Catenacci's trade request
By The Sault Star
Posted 1 hour ago

SPORTS COLUMN

PETER RUICCI

It all makes sense now.

Recently, when Daniel Catenacci told some of his teammates and Sault Ste. Marie friends it "wasn't my decision" to ask the Soo Greyhounds to trade him, he apparently wasn't kidding.

The decision to seek a trade, according to a reliable source with knowledge of the situation, originated with the player's father, Maurice Catenacci.

And wait until you learn the reason why.

According to the source, Maurice was miffed over comments made by the new Hounds general manager, Kyle Dubas, in a June 21 article in The Star.

In a series of stories that ran before the June 24-25 NHL Entry Draft, each of the five Hounds players who were rated by NHL Central Scouting were profiled.

In an article dealing with defenceman Ryan Sproul's draft prospects, Dubas cited numerous calls he'd received from NHL scouts inquiring about Sproul.

And, based on that, the GM predicted big things at the draft for the six-foot-four, 190-pounder.

Dubas said NHL teams were telling him "Sproul could be a first-round pick."

Dubas added: "I don't think he gets past the 50th pick" and "it's very possible he could be the first Greyhounds player taken."

Which, by the way, is exactly what happened.

While he didn't go in the first round or in the top 50, Sproul was the first Greyhounds player selected.

The Mississauga native was chosen in the second round, 55th overall, by the Detroit Red Wings. Another Soo player, centre Nick Cousins, was next to go, a third-round pick of the Philadelphia Flyers and the 68th player chosen.

Catenacci went later in Round 3, 77th overall to the Buffalo Sabres.

According to my source, Maurice Catenacci, apparently angered by the GMs comments and feeling Dubas's words actually hurt Daniel's draft prospects, decided it was time for his kid to play elsewhere.

Daniel's agent, Darren Ferris of the Orr Hockey Group, delivered the trade request to Dubas on July 19.

So Dubas tells a reporter what NHL scouts are saying about Sproul, and that negatively effects Catenacci? It should be noted Dubas also praised Catenacci in a previous story.

Come on.

Here's a news flash: NHL teams certainly don't set their draft boards based on what's written in newspapers hundreds of miles away from the nearest NHL city.

It's laughable.

And it smacks of a father looking for a scapegoat.

There's also been speculation locally the Catenaccis asked for, or at least strongly considered asking for a trade last season when the Greyhounds were floundering.

I have no way of knowing whether that, in fact, is true.

Now a concern about whether Daniel was properly developing his talents in the Sault would certainly be legitimate. The 2010-2011 Hounds failed to surround Catenacci and fellow centre Nick Cousins with the quality wingers both need in order to fully take advantage of their skills.

But to even partially blame Daniel's fall into the third round of the draft on the fact Dubas was told good things about Sproul and, when asked, relayed them to the media, is ridiculous.

Instead, maybe the fact young Catenacci slumped in mid-season, scoring once in a 21-game span that began last Jan. 2, was a factor?

And then there was his lack of playing time at the World Under-18 championships in Germany. After the NHL draft, two NHL scouts I questioned told me Catenacci's draft stock fell because he didn't act like a team player at the tournament and exhibited a poor attitude.

When reached Sunday, Dubas, who traded Catenacci to Owen Sound last week, again refused to shed any light on what happened.

"The situation is over," he said. "Daniel is no longer a member of our team and people can write and speculate as much as they wish."

But, Dubas also added something interesting: "Every member of our dressing room will be treated the same way and I'll always tell the players the truth about what's going on, whether it has to do with Team Canada selections, the NHL draft or whatever. Telling players the truth is best for their development as people and players. I don't know any other way to be. That's me."

Reached Sunday, Maurice Catenacci balked at suggestions his displeasure with Dubas's comments led to the trade request.

"That's not true at all," he said. "Everybody's got opinions. That wasn't a problem as far as I'm concerned."

Also on Sunday, Ferris used the words "complete fabrication" in reference to the suggestion Maurice Catenacci wanted his son to be traded because of what he perceived was a lack of support by Dubas.

"Whoever told you that is wrong," Ferris said Sunday. "They've got too much time on their hands."

On the day Catenacci was traded to the Attack for Andrew Fritsch, Dubas said he was leaving any comments as to what transpired up to the Catenaccis and Ferris.

But the Soo GM did admit that when he saw the dynamic centre at the Memorial Cup "Daniel was excited to come back. But there was an event between the Memorial Cup and now that changed things."

When it was mentioned to Dubas that the NHL draft fell between the Memorial Cup and time of the trade request, Dubas agreed, but would say no more.

Hey, as always, people are free to draw their own conclusions.

But if I didn't have full confidence in my source, I wouldn't have written this.

All along, I've said what a likable young man Daniel Catenacci is. He's articulate and intelligent. He's very talented, an extremely hard-worker and very dedicated to the sport he loves.

Hopefully, he can put all of the controversy surrounding his departure behind him and excel with the Attack.

And hopefully, Owen Sound is his final OHL stop.

OHLTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 06:40 AM
johnnydrum

Wow ,guys, that was quite an article!

Blimey, thats why Parents and Fans dont make good GMs..(Carl Lindros)

From a NHL point of view, even with his superb skating, and wealth of talent, he always going to have to be "above and beyond" because of his size.
So when he went into a 21 game slump,in his draft year, were people really surprised to see his stock fall?
When viewing "small guys" making it to the NHL, everyone always uses "Martin St Louis"--but they forget, even in todays league, that St Louis had a long, long road to get there--and usually the little guys, like the vastly talented Matty Pearault in DC, simply struggle...(not saying all little guys do, but for every St Louis in the NHL, theres half a dozen small guys destined for a career in the minors)

I think he went where I would have expected--late 2nd round/early third.
As the season went on, his team mate Ryan Sproll (have I got that right?) was the one who seemed to be rising and rising.
As a fan of "flash and dash" I dont know a great deal about D men, but even I was checking out game reports on this kids progress.

God luck though to Catenacci, I have only ever heard fun things about him.

johnnydrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 08:58 AM
ohlguy

The Sault Star writer always grasps at straws when he can't get a story and and always uses so called "reliable sources" instead of facts. Not for a minute do I believe an agent like Bobby Orr let's the parents of a player make a descision to move from a team. As you can see below "complete fabrication".

"That's not true at all," he said. "Everybody's got opinions. That wasn't a problem as far as I'm concerned."

Also on Sunday, Ferris used the words "complete fabrication" in reference to the suggestion Maurice Catenacci wanted his son to be traded because of what he perceived was a lack of support by Dubas.

"Whoever told you that is wrong," Ferris said Sunday. "They've got too much time on their hands."

Old
08-29-2011, 10:05 AM
PacoSanchez15

Since Dubas has refused to answer why the request was made the only way any of us will ever know the truth is if someone from Catenacci's camp comes out and tells us.

For me it doesn't matter. He's not part of the team anymore, time to move on. Short term and on paper the Hounds are not as good of a team without Cat. Losing him creates a giant hole at the centre ice position that we can't even come close to filling internally.

Quote:
Top that with the hiring of an unproven 25 year old GM who has no business in in such a position, I don't blame this kid or his agent for wanting him out of a possible disasterous situation in the Soo again.
Why does it matter if he's 25 or 55? Yes it was a bit of a surprise at first, and there was a lot of complaining when it was announced but most people here have come around and are actually quite happy with his hiring. He's done well in most of the deals he's made, he seems to care about the players both on the roster and off (i.e. the Brian Bunnet situation) and has been very upfront and honest with the fans.

It's time to let the age thing go and let him have few seasons and then we can decide if it was a mistake in hiring him.

PacoSanchez15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 11:03 AM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoSanchez15 View Post
For me it doesn't matter. He's not part of the team anymore,
Agree 100 percent. There is more fact in that starement then the entire article provided by the Sault Star. The reason why he was moved has a heck of alot more to do with the Buffalo Sabres then the Catenacci family.

I actually like Peter Rucci, generally hes not to bad of a writer, but this is very questionable journalism here.

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 12:44 PM
ottawafan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Agree 100 percent. There is more fact in that starement then the entire article provided by the Sault Star. The reason why he was moved has a heck of alot more to do with the Buffalo Sabres then the Catenacci family.

I actually like Peter Rucci, generally hes not to bad of a writer, but this is very questionable journalism here.
Time to defend the town I grew up in. Ruicci has been in the business for around 30 years. I would think his list of sources would be pretty extensive, especially in the Sault.

And unless you're connected to the family or the Sabres, I doubt you or anyone on this site knows the true facts of what really transpired.

ottawafan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 12:46 PM
PacoSanchez15

The swap of imports is now done according to the OHL website.

Schumacher and a conditional 2nd round pick in 2017 for Yegor Malenkikh.

I'm guessing the condition is whether Yegor ever comes over. So I guess that would make the trade:

Catenacci and Malenkikh for Fritsch, Schumacher, 2nd in '14, cond. 2nd in '17.

PacoSanchez15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 01:16 PM
dogsandwings

I think that the journalist knows more then any fans trying to defend this players reputation..the facts speak for themselves he decided to leave a team with championship possibilities in the next 2 years to another rebuilding one so he can be the Centre of attention..
As far as Bobby Orr group goes they have no credibility with me..no one there tells the facts...where i come from being up front and honest is what it is all about. Many agents are "enablers" they don't help the players become healthy individuals they have an interest in maaking them $$$$ and of course themselves..the hockey world hides it's problems quite well at the expense of the individual.

Old
08-29-2011, 01:33 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsandwings View Post
I think that the journalist knows more then any fans trying to defend this players reputation..the facts speak for themselves he decided to leave a team with championship possibilities in the next 2 years to another rebuilding one so he can be the Centre of attention..
As far as Bobby Orr group goes they have no credibility with me..no one there tells the facts...where i come from being up front and honest is what it is all about. Many agents are "enablers" they don't help the players become healthy individuals they have an interest in maaking them $$$$ and of course themselves..the hockey world hides it's problems quite well at the expense of the individual.
your posts keep getting better and better. What leg do you have to stand on to claim "championship possibility" in the next 2 years except for your own personal optimism. I don't see anything on your roster that would indicate as much.

And would you talk about your own teenage son like this? Show some respect.

Libbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 01:40 PM
ottawafan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
your posts keep getting better and better. What leg do you have to stand on to claim "championship possibility" in the next 2 years except for your own personal optimism. I don't see anything on your roster that would indicate as much.

And would you talk about your own teenage son like this? Show some respect.
Might be none of my business but who should he be showing respect to.... and why?

Old
08-29-2011, 01:41 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawafan66 View Post
Time to defend the town I grew up in. Ruicci has been in the business for around 30 years. I would think his list of sources would be pretty extensive, especially in the Sault.

And unless you're connected to the family or the Sabres, I doubt you or anyone on this site knows the true facts of what really transpired.
Then why not name them? If they are not willing to go on the record, then what does that say about the story?

I have friends in the OHL and in the NHL. I have attended a few events this summer where I was lucky enough to interact with them, the request came from above the agent.

No need to defend the Soo, its a great place, and this isnt about geography. Id say the same thing if it came from a Toronto based paper.
I have a big issue with 'unnamed sources'.

Old
08-29-2011, 01:57 PM
ottawafan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Then why not name them? If they are not willing to go on the record, then what does that say about the story?

I have friends in the OHL and in the NHL. I have attended a few events this summer where I was lucky enough to interact with them, the request came from above the agent.

No need to defend the Soo, its a great place, and this isnt about geography. Id say the same thing if it came from a Toronto based paper.
I have a big issue with 'unnamed sources'.
Come on! Since when do reporters name their sources? Hardly ever happens. Same thing with you not naming yours.

And how does him playing in Owen Sound instead of the Sault prepare him any better for Buffalo? Doesn't make sense to me.

Old
08-29-2011, 02:01 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Might be none of my business but who should he be showing respect to.... and why?
Go and read his posts and his personal attacks against Catenacci.

Libbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 02:05 PM
ohlguy

If you have no credibility for Bobby Orr about being up front and honest then you should be mad with your own GM in the Soo. Dubas is probably embarrassed as to why he lost his top player or else he would tell his fans. I would be looking at Dubas for an explanation which is owed to the Soo fans. I can't believe you turn the tables and blame the classiest player in history instead.

Old
08-29-2011, 02:13 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Hardly ever happens. Same thing with you not naming yours.
Its actually quite different. Im not writing an article for the purpose of selling a newspaper. Im simply trying to shed a little light on a situation that has become emotional for alot of posters.

As I said before, I dont mind Rucci to much, he has a style that works for him. I just know in this case that he is innocorrect. Id love to have the opportunity to talk to those who think that the dad was behind the trade, but I cant, because they are 'unnamed'.

Regardless, we agree to disagree as far as what standards should be in regards to a 'source'.

Last edited by Tigers1992: 08-29-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old
08-29-2011, 02:20 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlguy View Post
Dubas is probably embarrassed as to why he lost his top player or else he would tell his fans. I would be looking at Dubas for an explanation which is owed to the Soo fans.
I liked how Dubas handled himself. It should have been a private matter, and was, until a third party came in and blew it up. That person was no doubt acting strategically.

In a perfect world, this trade would have happened and it would have been over. Many trades in the OHL happen due to a request by players and teams, and its held in confidence. Itís a shame that confidence wasnít handled the same way it normally is.