Notices

5 Prospects that could be traded...

Old
08-20-2011, 09:12 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

vCash: 500
5 Prospects that could be traded...

With a flurry of trades and signings this off-season, I wouldn't be surprised to hear Fletcher dangling a prospect or two to upgrade the current roster, especially around the trade deadline, depending on where Minnesota sits.

I know, I know it sounds like sacrilege. We finally acquire a bunch of talented prospects and now we are talking about trading them? I think that is part of the point of building up your talent base, is to see where everything lies and see what team needs and wants.

Minnesota has a strong top six right now. If Coyle and Zucker project to the top 6 in the next few years, it's going to get crowded with Koivu, Granlund, Heatley and Setoguchi.

They also have some good depth in goal if Stephen Michalek continues to prosper.

So with that said, in my opinion, these are the players I think Minnesota could dangle to upgrade their current roster:

Erik Haula (University of Minnesota, drafted 2009)

Haula has come a long way from being the dark horse prospect that Minnesota took a gamble on in the 7th round. He progressed steadily in the USHL with the Lancers and had a quiet but solid season for the Gophers this year. At one time, Haula was considered a top 60 pick but he tumbled down the draft boards due to his size. He still has some rough edges but he projects to being a top 6 player. With the crowd in front of him, Minnesota might use Haula in part of a package or even a straight up prospect to prospect swap to improve their defensive prospect depth. He still has a long ways to go before sniffing the NHL, if he ever does, but the kid has succeeded in every league he has been in. It's quiet unfortunate that he gets overlooked with so much talent around him.

Darcy Kuemper (Houston Aeros, drafted 2009)

Talented goaltender but still a bit of a mystery as he launches into his first professional league. With Harding coming back and entrenched in the backup position and Hackett in front of him, Kuemper's playing time might be a bit crimped. With so many talented goaltenders in their stock, Minnesota could use Kuemper in a package deal to improve their defense or their defensive prospect depth. Kuemper has value and with Hackett and Harding in front, Kuemper might not get enough playing time to showcase his talent.

Tyler Cuma (Houston Aeros, 2008)

Cuma has been hampered with injuries and has severely stalled in his progress. Like Sheppard, he may just need to find another team and with Fletcher's talent to get something for almost nothing (I'm looking at you Sheppard), Cuma still has some trade value. Injuries are his biggest concern and he may never become an NHL regular but there is some good risk as Cuma could still project in the top 5 for defense. He is also only 21 but with so many defensemen passing him up on the depth chart, Minnesota might want to think about moving him before his value goes nill.

Brett Bulmer (Houston Aeros, 2010)

Shocker? Bulmer projects as a budding power forward. However now that Minnesota has Coyle and with Foucault progressing, Minnesota has a solid group of possible power forwards in their farm. Bulmer has a lot of potential and a lot of value. He would be a great piece in a trade (like Coyle was) and with two other power forwards developing, Minnesota can afford to swap Bulmer to add some talent on the back end. It would take a lot but I wouldn't be surprised if Bulmer's name was floated out there to see what we could get back.

Cody Almond (Houston Aeros, 2007)

I like Almond. I think anyone in the NHL could see something in the kid as well. He doesn't project in the top 6 but he can play any forward position and can give some needed energy to an energy line. He fights, plays a bit scrappy and can chip in the occasional goal. He won't ever be a Clutterbuck but for a team in need of a junkyard dog, I think Almond could provide some value.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 09:19 PM
Generic User
From Concentrate.

Your list isn't sacrilege for the most part. Don't really wanna trade Bulmer but if the return were high enough I would pull the trigger. Don't think other teams would be willing to give up much for the rest of what you listed, even in a package. We would have to add some quality to get something worthwhile in return IMO.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 09:19 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
all of our prospects could all be traded as Fletcher excluded no one but Koivu last year. I'll just assume nothing has changed until he says otherwise. I like the reasoning behind the guys you do have on your list though.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 09:36 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
Your list isn't sacrilege for the most part. Don't really wanna trade Bulmer but if the return were high enough I would pull the trigger. Don't think other teams would be willing to give up much for the rest of what you listed, even in a package. We would have to add some quality to get something worthwhile in return IMO.
Bouchard, Latendresse, Zanon, Backstrom. You throw a guy like Haula there, and you up the ante.

Prospects are worth a lot more than posters want to admit but less than fans really think.

Look at Powe. A third rounder for him? Almond projects to the same, if not better than Powe!

Old
08-20-2011, 09:45 PM
Generic User
From Concentrate.

That's true, but what kind of return are you thinking? Most likely a D, but who do you think that upped ante would return?

Old
08-20-2011, 10:01 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
That's true, but what kind of return are you thinking? Most likely a D, but who do you think that upped ante would return?
I could see a team that could use some depth in the minors for later trade a top 4 defenseman for a guy like Latendresse and Haula.

Old
08-20-2011, 10:39 PM
Caior89

I think we should stay with Cuma a little more, so he can play a full season and we can take a good vision of what is his condition. If injury shows up again, ok. If he turns to be a great D, keep him.

Seriously,we dont want another Nick Leddy.

Caior89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 10:42 PM
BigT2002

Wellman will most likely be gone

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 10:59 PM
Generic User
From Concentrate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caior89 View Post
Seriously,we dont want another Nick Leddy.
I might be in the minority here, but why does Leddy's farts smell like roses? He has seemed like a below average player in the baker's dozen games I've seen him play with Chicago. I realize he's still young, but he even looked underwhelming paired with Duncan Keith.

Old
08-20-2011, 11:19 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Kuemper I can see if he can prove himself at the AHL level, but the others not really. I think there is likely prospects of the same ilk in every organizational pipeline.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 11:37 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
I might be in the minority here, but why does Leddy's farts smell like roses? He has seemed like a below average player in the baker's dozen games I've seen him play with Chicago. I realize he's still young, but he even looked underwhelming paired with Duncan Keith.
i've been saying this forever. Never saw what the big deal was but people just looooooove him to death.

Old
08-20-2011, 11:55 PM
BLBarmada

I would rather draft Matheson in the 1st and keep our guys, them trade them.

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 09:53 AM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
i've been saying this forever. Never saw what the big deal was but people just looooooove him to death.

I don't want to say that Leddy is vastly overrated, but he looks to be a solid 2nd pairing D who will see time in specialty situations.

Where I do think the "big deal" was is that he was in high school just 2 years ago and now he's looking to be a regular in the Blackhawks lineup this fall. Its that Minnesota drafted a high school kid whose development curve is off the charts, and typically HS kids are hardest to project and take longer to develop- and now he's in the NHL before 21.

Not so much the points (won't ever be a huge pt producer imo) but its that there is such an immediate return on a HS kid drafted in 2009.

Old
08-21-2011, 11:03 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Outside of the Keith and Seabrook, that defense is about as bad as it gets. And Leddy falls into that category. He was over-matched in the WJC last year and clearly so in the NHL. Extremely weak on his feet and the puck, with a terrible first pass. Quite frankly, if the Blackhawks hadn't mismanaged their cap so bad he still wouldn't be anywhere near the NHL. Like Spurgeon, he played just as soft minutes and looked no where near as good as Spurgeon in that role. Even physically while he should be having an edge there. There's a reason as to why Duncan Keith had one of his worst seasons since he came into the league; because he was tied to a kid that had no business in the NHL.

Going back to the draft, still don't see what people see in the kid. And still not disappointed the team essentially threw him away. Just wished they would have done so on a player who would have given this team more.

As for the thread itself, prospect-prospect swaps are extremely rare. Especially if any of those prospects are worth a damn. Don't see that happening with any these guys listed or really in general.

As for moving them for an established guy, don't see that all that viable because I don't believe the team is going to be buying much of anything this season. Even then, these prospects aren't going to return much of anything of value. And most teams that are selling would rather have the draft pick and select the guy they want. They also get more control over that player and longer team control as well.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 04:24 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstroundbust View Post
I don't want to say that Leddy is vastly overrated, but he looks to be a solid 2nd pairing D who will see time in specialty situations.

Where I do think the "big deal" was is that he was in high school just 2 years ago and now he's looking to be a regular in the Blackhawks lineup this fall. Its that Minnesota drafted a high school kid whose development curve is off the charts, and typically HS kids are hardest to project and take longer to develop- and now he's in the NHL before 21.

Not so much the points (won't ever be a huge pt producer imo) but its that there is such an immediate return on a HS kid drafted in 2009.
I just disagree that he looks like a 2nd pairing defenseman already. He might some day but IMO Spurgeon played a lot better than Leddy with a far inferior partner--there's no way I'd call Spurgeon a second pairing defenseman. Either of them might play that role but it's just like calling Mittens a first line forward.

Old
08-21-2011, 04:25 PM
Generic User
From Concentrate.

If Garth Snow called Fletcher up and offered him a 3rd for Haula, would you guys take it?

Old
08-21-2011, 04:26 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

well it would be a high 3rd probably.

Old
08-21-2011, 09:36 PM
saywut

If we're trying to acquire a quality player from a team hesitant to move said player, we're not going to get it done with mediocre prospects. And all these players are mediocre prospects. If we're trading Bouchard/Latendresse/Backstrom, who the hell replaces them on our team? We don't have a strong top-6 with Bouchard/Latendresse and Harding's been injured/played poorly since Lemaire left. All 3 of them have quite a bit more value to us than in a trade, given their recent injury history. You could say Bulmer has more value to us as well, given where we drafted him.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 10:03 PM
Bookman

vCash: 1000
TSK,
You oughta post this on the trade forum to see if anybody finds these guys of interest. I did notice that none of these guys polled as a top ten prospect for the Wild, so they all qualify, in the eyes of fans at least, as middling prospects. Good topic though.

Bookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 10:23 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
If Garth Snow called Fletcher up and offered him a 3rd for Haula, would you guys take it?

YES.

Old
08-21-2011, 10:57 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Rather have one of your defensemen.

Old
08-21-2011, 11:10 PM
BigT2002

What about Hackett?

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 11:17 PM
Generic User
From Concentrate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
What about Hackett?
Goalie of the future for us. Keep him unless he starts to show signs that he just can't Hackett.

Old
08-21-2011, 11:32 PM
SauceHockey
Retired

Kuemper for prospect D-man

SauceHockey is offline   Reply With Quote