HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

THN Yearbook

Old
08-20-2011, 05:39 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

vCash: 500
THN Yearbook

Just got my issue in the mail.

THN predicts Caps will win the Cup.

Rangers finish 3rd Atlantic Division, 7th Eastern Conference.

Annnnnnnnd..... go

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 05:45 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I have to say the Caps are my favorites too.

I think the Sharks have a good chance to come out of the West. My "darkhorse" is the Kings.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 05:46 PM
Giacomin

With Vokoun I could see the Caps winning it all. I still think the Blueshirts are a year away and the way it has been recently spots 5-9 are basically a few games apart so unless you see the Rangers as better than Washington,Tampa,Boston,Philly and Pittsburg by a lot the seventh spot is where I could see them.
I had them 5th but they are priming for next season.

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 05:47 PM
NYRKING30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post

Annnnnnnnd..... go
thats not too bad. i would like us to finish no lower than 6th. If we could get that 4th seed that would be beautiful. IMO this is the caps do or die year, if they don't win im pretty sure that team will be blown up minus ovechkin starting with our boy BB. im shocked he even has a job for this year. these last days of august are dragging. i wish it was 9/16

NYRKING30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 05:52 PM
NYRKING30

predictions:

Stanley Cup Finals
Los Angeles Kings Vs. Buffalo Sabres with the darkhorses being Anaheim and washington/rangers

Old
08-20-2011, 05:54 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Sounds about right to me.

Most logical Ranger fans don't think this is the year we are ready to contend and that we are still a year or two away, but as long as we don't have to fight until the last week for a playoff spot I'm good.

08-20-2011, 06:13 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Im hoping we get some luck and Crosby misses time or isn't 100%.

Hoping all the changes cause Philly to have chemistry issues.

Hoping the Isles don't improve too much, cuz they could be a pain in the neck this year.

And hoping the Devils struggle a little.

If we get lucky and earn that 4th seed, with home ice and Henke in net, anything is possible.

Just hoping for the best.

Old
08-20-2011, 06:35 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post

Annnnnnnnd..... go

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 06:35 PM
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

vCash: 50
I'd be shocked if the Rangers finished lower than 2nd. Don't think they'll win the division, but, IMO, they are clearly the 2nd best team in the division. Philly's roster looks good, but they completely overhauled it, and I'd be surprised if there was chemistry right away between the players. I mean, look at this turnover:

Add: Bryzgalov, Jagr, Talbot, Schenn, Couturier, Voracek, Simmonds

Lose: Carter, Richards, Boucher, O'Donnell, Leino

It feels...somewhat lateral, if not detrimental, to me. They added depth up front, and acquired that much needed legitimate #1 goaltender, but they lost two first line players in Richards/Carter. The impact of Schenn and Couturier won't be felt for a few years, so, as it stands, their roster is slightly worse, IMO.

The Rangers did nothing but improve. They added their much needed 1st line center and an excellent, intimdating 4th line player in Rupp. All of their most important players are still very young, and should improve over the course of next season (Anisimov, Stepan, McDonagh, Sauer, Dubinsky, etc). The Flyers core has some young players, but aside from Giroux/Voracek, the rest aren't going to improve too much from here on out. Simmonds is young, but he is what he is — a top-notch 3rd line forward who can put up decent offensive numbers.

The only major 'question mark' with this team is the 2nd pairing — McDonagh and Sauer. They were, obviously, fantastic last season, but they're still relatively inexperienced. I'm not really worried about Sauer, but McDonagh instills a twinge of doubt, as much as I love his game. He's very smart and poised, but his decision making is questionable, at times. He made some bad decisions last year that he worked his way out of, but he may not be able to do so under more responsibility. I believe he will, as he certainly has the ability to do so, but I wouldn't rule out a 'slump'.

Aside from the Flyers, there isn't much competition. The Islanders are still a bubble team at best, and the Devils are in a state of disarray. Their defense is in shambles, their #1 center just suffered a major injury, and their best forward has played one game since November. Their forward depth will keep them in the playoff race, but unless there are significant injuries, I don't see how they'll challenge the Rangers. Of course, anything is possible, and their lineup is full of gamebreaking forwards, but there isn't much depth, and Brodeur is steadily aging/breaking down. I think their future is potentially bright, but in the here and now, their roster is very unimpressive.

For the Atlantic, IMO:

Pittsburgh: 1st
Rangers: 5th
Philadelphia: 7th
Devils: 9th/10th (could finish anywhere from 6th-11th, really)
Islanders: 11th

08-20-2011, 06:41 PM
Hire Sather
4 MORE YEARS!

Send a message via AIM to Hire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
Sounds about right to me.

Most logical Ranger fans don't think this is the year we are ready to contend and that we are still a year or two away, but as long as we don't have to fight until the last week for a playoff spot I'm good.
I agree, but how is the article right, then?

7th place is battling for a spot and its about time we take the next step and get out of the 6th-10th ********.

The goal this season should be top 5, and if things go right.. home ice.

Hire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 06:53 PM
Maineice11

Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
The authors of the articles were talking on NHL Home Ice on XM yesterday and basically felt the rangers could move up quite a bit, but not quite sure how things would all mesh this year or how fast.

One of the guys talking said something that was weird to me, but basically said once you get passed Staal and Girardi who do you have D, and they did not even mention McD or Sauer, and how they rose to the occassion last season, they did mention Erixon, but said he isnt a proven NHLer yet, which is true, but i think our top 4 Dmen are set, it is our 5th, 6th, and 7th dmen that are up in the air...I'll guess it may be Erixon Valentenko/MDZ and eminger, if all shine in training camp maybe eminger is the odd man out

I think the rangers have a good chance to win the atlantic division, but I can't believe they will be lower than 5th or 6th in the east. If they are, that would be a huge disappointment of a season.

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 07:01 PM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

Certainly not going out on a limb picking the Caps. They look to be the class of the east with boston due for a drop after the cup and Pitt still with questions surrounding Crosby.

San Jose, Vancouver, Chicago and Detroit all will be good out west, but I like Chicago to bounce back this year out west.

Rangers have a shot at the Atlantic if things go right for them, but I still think we are a year or 2 away from really challenging for the conference.

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 07:08 PM
MillerTime2181

Quick question does anyone know if this is in newstands yet? I went to B&N the other day and they had none.

MillerTime2181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 07:15 PM
AXN

Caps will not win the cup. They simply will not. It's an absurb prediction.

If Caps don't win the cup then Rangers can finish higher and their predictions is ****, **** and ****.

Caps simply will not win the cup!!!

AXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 07:30 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime2181 View Post
Quick question does anyone know if this is in newstands yet? I went to B&N the other day and they had none.
Not sure about newsstands, but I subscribe, that's how I got it.

Maybe Monday places will get it. Im not sure how it works.

Old
08-20-2011, 08:57 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

I'm still skeptical that the Caps can put it together and advance past the 2nd round. Rangers are a 4-6 team in my eyes.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 10:15 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

The depth chart is also very well done.

Zipay is their Rangers corespondent often, so I wouldn't be surprised if he had input here.

Dubinsky - Richards - Gaborik
Wolski - Anisimov - Callahan
Fedotenko - Stepan - Zuccarello
Rupp - Boyle - Prust
Avery, Christensen

Staal - Girardi
McDonagh - Sauer
Erixon - Del Zotto
Eminger

Lundqvist
Biron

Assuming Zuccarello is there, that's the exact lineup id like, too.

They did a good job this year with the Yearbook. Im just disappointed in how they underestimate our team. But id rather be an underdog/overlooked, this team has a busy schedule the first half of the season. Plus HBO 24/7.

Old
08-20-2011, 11:50 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKING30 View Post
predictions:

Stanley Cup Finals
Los Angeles Kings Vs. Buffalo Sabres with the darkhorses being Anaheim and washington/rangers
not sure how the Caps can be referred to as darkhorses...
they need to pull some NYR circa 1994 trades to make them a playoff team that can pull it off. They could definitely use some improvement on their blue line, or at least Mike Green of old to find his form during the playoffs. Like if they traded Alex Semin and Marcus Johansson for Brad Stuart, Dan Cleary, and Tomas Holmstrom. That would be a ballsy move for some serious Cup experienced players.

Last edited by n8: 08-21-2011 at 12:00 AM.
n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 12:23 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Rangers should be no lower than 6th place.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 01:34 AM
Muh
Beadle

I am very optimisitic...always... But I honestly dont see the caps doing it this year. I always expect the best (Rangers), but if not us I got Kings over Pens.

Rangers over Kings in 6.

Muh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 02:35 AM
NYRKING30

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
not sure how the Caps can be referred to as darkhorses...
they need to pull some NYR circa 1994 trades to make them a playoff team that can pull it off. They could definitely use some improvement on their blue line, or at least Mike Green of old to find his form during the playoffs. Like if they traded Alex Semin and Marcus Johansson for Brad Stuart, Dan Cleary, and Tomas Holmstrom. That would be a ballsy move for some serious Cup experienced players.
i should have stated that would have been a 2nd choice. your right in many eyes they will be favorites

Old
08-21-2011, 08:53 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

According to the Yearbook, Callahan was 10th with 51 votes(?) for the Selke Trophy.

Lundqvist was 4th with 23 votes(?) for the Vezina Trophy.

Tortorella was 9th with 9 votes(?) for the Jack Adams Award.

Old
08-21-2011, 09:02 AM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

I believe the Rangers will finish in 4th or 5th in the conference. This team made big strides in the offseason and I just can't see them finishing behind the completely new look Flyers.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 09:21 AM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

I think we have made amazing improvements with Erixon and Richards joining us and players like Zuccarello, Anisimov, Dubinsky, Sauer, McDonagh and Eminger all a year older, more experience under their belts.

Marian Gaborik still needs to live up to the expectations and will definitely do better compared to last season.

Amazing Kreiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 09:42 AM
Chief

This is shaping up to be an incredibly competitive race for the PO's in the East. Virtually every team that made the PO's last year would be justified to believe they've improved.

Caps: Top team last season and that was with drops in production by OV, Backstrom and Green. And they upgraded their goaltending with Vokoun.

Pens: 1 point away from top spot in East with only half seasons out of Sid and Geno. Also will have Neal form day one of season.

Flyers: Upgraded goaltending. Will loss of Carter and Richards be offset by improvement of JVR and addition of JJ and Schenn?

Bruins: Young key players to develop further. Can Seguin step up?

Bolts: Not sure if Roloson is the answer but he's better than what they had for much of last season.

Sabes: Made big splashes in offseason and Roy missed over half the season last season.

Montreal: Health of Markov is obviously huge.

Rangers: Richards is huge but will he find chemistry with Gabby? Young D susceptible to taking a step back.

Leafs: I don't think they're as good as the above teams but they almost made the PO's last season and they have added players that should help them improve and they might finally have found their goalie.

Debbies: Parise back. Kovalchuk settled in. Brodeur unlikely to have rough start like last season.

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote