HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Peddie Guarantees Leafs Make Playoffs

Old
08-21-2011, 08:53 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Berezin View Post
Pretty cynical article by Buffery if you ask me. The most annoying part was when he said 'all they need is 11 more quality forwards'...
wow so we need 11 qualty forwards so what about the 30 goal LW in Kulemin or Grabo's 29 goals or Macarthurs 62 points or the fact that we have one of the best 3rd liners n the NHL in Armstrong or an absolute warrior in Brown Or how about Lombardi who yes he needs to get healthy but he's a pretty damn good player in his own right.

If he had said their aren't enough quality peices there I could agree there are deffently some holes but the forward core does have some solid peices the vast majority of which are under 30.

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 09:45 AM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

I talk to Buffery once in a while on twitter, he's not a bad dude. Definitely not good work by him, though. I'm positive the Sun will maintaned this slant in writing, despite how the team does.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 10:03 AM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Terribad. It's like a 9 year old's blog entry.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 11:42 AM
LordRamsay
Come out and flay

vCash: 588
Prior to this year I thought Buffery was English. He always wrote about soccer (or so I thought), and he had that pasty look...how wrong I was.

LordRamsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 11:49 AM
Kyle Doobas
#groovystats

vCash: 1170
If this guy can find a job, I seriously need to look into becoming a sports writer.

Kyle Doobas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 01:58 PM
James Duthie
Kadri is 3 Hunna

Wow even I could write better.

James Duthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 02:04 PM
Voodoo Child
Lǎobǎn

I'm getting tired of these *******s guaranteeing things that are far from certain (Remember Burke did it last year); it creates undue pressure.

Voodoo Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 02:30 PM
Kbs

I'm not gonna read the article because it sounds like a waste of time, but there's a video on TSN.ca that has a quick little interview with Peddie while he was at that event. Peddie only said the expectation is playoffs but he admits Burke isn't finished yet.

Kbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 02:33 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Child View Post
I'm getting tired of these *******s guaranteeing things that are far from certain (Remember Burke did it last year); it creates undue pressure.
What did Burke guarantee?

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 02:46 PM
dubey
~manlets~

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Devil View Post
What did Burke guarantee?
Nothing about the playoffs

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 03:01 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Child View Post
I'm pretty sure Burke never guaranteed anything. He's said every year that they expect to make the playoffs, but what else do you want him to say?

And there's always pressure when you play in Toronto, and nothing will ever change that.

Old
08-21-2011, 03:25 PM
TrueBlue86

another retard in toronto media getting his name out there by slamming the leafs

what else is new?

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 04:03 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
Nothing about the playoffs
Breakfast?

Old
08-21-2011, 04:04 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
I'm pretty sure Burke never guaranteed anything. He's said every year that they expect to make the playoffs, but what else do you want him to say?

And there's always pressure when you play in Toronto, and nothing will ever change that.
He's never said that, he's always said that it was the goal.

Old
08-21-2011, 04:09 PM
dubey
~manlets~

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Devil View Post
Breakfast?
I don't know. That guy seemed pretty upset, didn't realize breakfast foods were such a touchy subject.

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 04:32 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

And as an aside, is there anyone else who absolutely can't wait until we aren't hearing from Richard Peddie about the Leafs anymore?

Old
08-21-2011, 04:47 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

That comment about the forwards is likely what Burke will be barking about. If I was a forward for the leafs my motivation would have just taken a step back

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 05:22 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
And as an aside, is there anyone else who absolutely can't wait until we aren't hearing from Richard Peddie about the Leafs anymore?
Is he here for the season, or just the remainder of the calender year?

Old
08-21-2011, 05:32 PM
The Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
Is he here for the season, or just the remainder of the calender year?
He has to the end of the year. For those who think poorly of Peddie, he is a Saint compared to the Ballard reign of terror.

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 06:02 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
He has to the end of the year. For those who think poorly of Peddie, he is a Saint compared to the Ballard reign of terror.
He should be given credit for the fact he finally showed some humility, and stepped aside for Burke to take the reigns of the hockey dept.

Old
08-21-2011, 06:03 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
He's a continuation of the same philosophy in a lot of ways, nonetheless.

I'm not necessarily expecting things to change if the Leafs are purchased by some other giant company...but I AM going to be happy I don't need to listen to Peddie bragging about condos or property developments any more. The man seems blissfully oblivious to the team being a miserable failure on the ice. Why? Because he doesn't care, really. His mandate was to make money for MLSE and he's succeeded marvellously at it. He is an amazing businessman. This is the guy who actually bragged in an interview about creating a revenue model that didn't include the playoffs. Yeah, I'm really impressed, Richard...thanks.

Peddie has openly referred to the Leafs as a brand on a number of occasions. In terms of being a sports team, the Leafs have faded such that they are little more than a famous name nowadays. They have faded back to the level of a Florida Panther or Columbus type franchise on the ice.

His smarmy effete slickster personality definitely contrasts with Ballard's crude and gruff blustering, but the "Carlton Street Cashbox" mentality lives on -- albeit on a much larger scale -- to this very day.

Old
08-21-2011, 06:07 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

I'll add that it's not saying much that the measuring stick for Peddy is anything better than the Ballard era.

Old
08-22-2011, 07:57 AM
The Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
He's a continuation of the same philosophy in a lot of ways, nonetheless.

I'm not necessarily expecting things to change if the Leafs are purchased by some other giant company...but I AM going to be happy I don't need to listen to Peddie bragging about condos or property developments any more. The man seems blissfully oblivious to the team being a miserable failure on the ice. Why? Because he doesn't care, really. His mandate was to make money for MLSE and he's succeeded marvellously at it. He is an amazing businessman. This is the guy who actually bragged in an interview about creating a revenue model that didn't include the playoffs. Yeah, I'm really impressed, Richard...thanks.

Peddie has openly referred to the Leafs as a brand on a number of occasions. In terms of being a sports team, the Leafs have faded such that they are little more than a famous name nowadays. They have faded back to the level of a Florida Panther or Columbus type franchise on the ice.

His smarmy effete slickster personality definitely contrasts with Ballard's crude and gruff blustering, but the "Carlton Street Cashbox" mentality lives on -- albeit on a much larger scale -- to this very day.
I have to strongly disagree on all points. There are absolutely no similarities between MLG and MLSE and ballard/Peddie. Ballard ran MLG into the ground financially and also his teams of the 80's were much, much worse than the current Leafs. The term Carlton Street Cashbox was despite Ballard's mishandling not a result of his management. Furthermore Ballard had absolutely no philiosphy or business plan on running a business nor a hockey team. MLSE most certainly does. (do not confuse errors in hiring etc. with intent). Your only true comment was MLSE is interested in the bottom line being important. Well guess what, the best way to improve the bottom line is to have the ACC filled to the rafters as many nights as humanly possible. (that means Leafs and Raptors going as far as they can in the play-offs). As for "branding" your comments are laughable. The Toronto Maple Leaf brand is by far and away the best 'brand' in pro hockey. I would suggest that MLG at the end of Ballard's reign was not even close. Any comparison to the Florida Panthers or Columbus Blue Jackets is a complete joke. You laughed at Peddie's comments about bragging about building revenue when not making the play-offs. Is that not what CEO's are suppossed to do, have contigency plans for any economic circumstance??? If Moyes in Phoenix had the done this perhaps the Coyotes would not now be in the mess they are.

I have been a subscriber since 1974 and I can assure you Ballard was evil. MLSE has made mistakes along the way but to even suggest their ownersip is on par with Ballard or they don't care about the fans or winning are just plain dumb!!!!

Last edited by The Messenger: 08-22-2011 at 08:06 AM.
The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 08:22 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

What an idiot. How could you say something so stupid (and far fetched) and put all that pressure on Burke and co.? It's actually unfair for the staff to have to contend with if it doesn't happen. What happens when they open the season 2-15 or something of the ilk like we're all so used to by now?

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 08:28 AM
Joey Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaZuffa View Post
What an idiot. How could you say something so stupid (and far fetched) and put all that pressure on Burke and co.? It's actually unfair for the staff to have to contend with if it doesn't happen. What happens when they open the season 2-15 or something of the ilk like we're all so used to by now?
What kind of weight does such a guarantee from Peddie have though? It's just an empty comment and I don't see how this puts any real pressure on anyone that wasn't there before.

Joey Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote