HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Peddie Guarantees Leafs Make Playoffs

Old
08-22-2011, 08:47 AM
Tarmore

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
I have to strongly disagree on all points. There are absolutely no similarities between MLG and MLSE and ballard/Peddie. Ballard ran MLG into the ground financially and also his teams of the 80's were much, much worse than the current Leafs. The term Carlton Street Cashbox was despite Ballard's mishandling not a result of his management. Furthermore Ballard had absolutely no philiosphy or business plan on running a business nor a hockey team. MLSE most certainly does. (do not confuse errors in hiring etc. with intent). Your only true comment was MLSE is interested in the bottom line being important. Well guess what, the best way to improve the bottom line is to have the ACC filled to the rafters as many nights as humanly possible. (that means Leafs and Raptors going as far as they can in the play-offs). As for "branding" your comments are laughable. The Toronto Maple Leaf brand is by far and away the best 'brand' in pro hockey. I would suggest that MLG at the end of Ballard's reign was not even close. Any comparison to the Florida Panthers or Columbus Blue Jackets is a complete joke. You laughed at Peddie's comments about bragging about building revenue when not making the play-offs. Is that not what CEO's are suppossed to do, have contigency plans for any economic circumstance??? If Moyes in Phoenix had the done this perhaps the Coyotes would not now be in the mess they are.

I have been a subscriber since 1974 and I can assure you Ballard was evil. MLSE has made mistakes along the way but to even suggest their ownersip is on par with Ballard or they don't care about the fans or winning are just plain dumb!!!!
Well Done

Tarmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 09:06 AM
bradbirtch
go leafs go

terble article

bradbirtch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 09:28 AM
The Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaZuffa View Post
What an idiot. How could you say something so stupid (and far fetched) and put all that pressure on Burke and co.? It's actually unfair for the staff to have to contend with if it doesn't happen. What happens when they open the season 2-15 or something of the ilk like we're all so used to by now?
It's quotes like these that make me chuckle.

First of all what do you want Peddie to say when asked that question? (No comment or I think we are going to miss the play-offs or I don't give a rats a**) ??

Second the only pressure Burke feels is what he imposes on himself.

And lastly it was a fun event for charity, it was not a State of the Union address by MLSE.

Last edited by The Messenger: 08-22-2011 at 10:30 AM.
The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 09:57 AM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:
State of the Union address by MLSE.
they have those????

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 01:51 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
I have to strongly disagree on all points. There are absolutely no similarities between MLG and MLSE and ballard/Peddie. Ballard ran MLG into the ground financially and also his teams of the 80's were much, much worse than the current Leafs. The term Carlton Street Cashbox was despite Ballard's mishandling not a result of his management. Furthermore Ballard had absolutely no philiosphy or business plan on running a business nor a hockey team. MLSE most certainly does. (do not confuse errors in hiring etc. with intent). Your only true comment was MLSE is interested in the bottom line being important. Well guess what, the best way to improve the bottom line is to have the ACC filled to the rafters as many nights as humanly possible. (that means Leafs and Raptors going as far as they can in the play-offs).
The similarity is that making money takes clear priority over winning, even though it need not do so. That remains the case. They are exactly the same in that regard, only the businessmen in charge now are much more competent.

They don't need to worry about the ACC being filled to the rafters, at least for the Leafs. That's why it isn't worth their while to get Brad Richards when Tim Connolly will do for far, far less money.

Quote:
As for "branding" your comments are laughable. The Toronto Maple Leaf brand is by far and away the best 'brand' in pro hockey. I would suggest that MLG at the end of Ballard's reign was not even close. Any comparison to the Florida Panthers or Columbus Blue Jackets is a complete joke.
If it's a joke, it's not a terribly funny one. You didn't read what I said too carefully. I said ON ice, not off of it, which was the whole point of the brand remark.

ON the ice, the Leafs are totally irrelevant and aren't even in the conversation for the playoffs, let alone a championship. Much like a Panthers or Columbus.

Quote:
You laughed at Peddie's comments about bragging about building revenue when not making the play-offs. Is that not what CEO's are suppossed to do, have contigency plans for any economic circumstance??? If Moyes in Phoenix had the done this perhaps the Coyotes would not now be in the mess they are.

I have been a subscriber since 1974 and I can assure you Ballard was evil. MLSE has made mistakes along the way but to even suggest their ownersip is on par with Ballard or they don't care about the fans or winning are just plain dumb!!!!
They care about winning, but obviously nowhere near as much as they care about making money away from the stadium. What other conclusion should be drawn from their miserable failure across the board to ice/field winning teams??

Peddie has the habit of making irritatingly blithe remarks about things are tremendous sore points for a lot fans. Bragging about making money despite never making the playoffs is not something I as a fan of the Leafs want to hear about.

If it doesn't bother you, that's your affair. Frankly, if you really are a fan since the 1970s, it should.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 03:11 PM
The Messenger

I don't think you read a word I said. You just continue to say the same thing.

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 03:19 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

If you say so. That's pretty much what I think of your responses.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 03:21 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
I have to strongly disagree on all points. There are absolutely no similarities between MLG and MLSE and ballard/Peddie. Ballard ran MLG into the ground financially and also his teams of the 80's were much, much worse than the current Leafs. The term Carlton Street Cashbox was despite Ballard's mishandling not a result of his management. Furthermore Ballard had absolutely no philiosphy or business plan on running a business nor a hockey team. MLSE most certainly does. (do not confuse errors in hiring etc. with intent). Your only true comment was MLSE is interested in the bottom line being important. Well guess what, the best way to improve the bottom line is to have the ACC filled to the rafters as many nights as humanly possible. (that means Leafs and Raptors going as far as they can in the play-offs). As for "branding" your comments are laughable. The Toronto Maple Leaf brand is by far and away the best 'brand' in pro hockey. I would suggest that MLG at the end of Ballard's reign was not even close. Any comparison to the Florida Panthers or Columbus Blue Jackets is a complete joke. You laughed at Peddie's comments about bragging about building revenue when not making the play-offs. Is that not what CEO's are suppossed to do, have contigency plans for any economic circumstance??? If Moyes in Phoenix had the done this perhaps the Coyotes would not now be in the mess they are.

I love you. I don't care if my gf reads the forums.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 03:23 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Anyways regarding this article. it truly was a joke i think i stopped midway.

Also during that interview I dont think peddy said he will be guaranteeing us anything for the playoffs, just fighting for the playoffs and that's been the plan.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 04:03 PM
Censored23

Does anyone really care what the Sun prints anymore?

Seriously, it may as well be called the Toronto National Enquirer. Most of the writers are idiots and morons suffering from "small man" syndrome, so they have to go out and find something to attack, but not have to worry about being attacked back.

Buffery is just a Damian Cox/Steve Simmons wannabe.

Censored23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 04:20 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Hoser View Post
What kind of weight does such a guarantee from Peddie have though? It's just an empty comment and I don't see how this puts any real pressure on anyone that wasn't there before.
Quote:
It's quotes like these that make me chuckle.

First of all what do you want Peddie to say when asked that question? (No comment or I think we are going to miss the play-offs or I don't give a rats a**) ??

Second the only pressure Burke feels is what he imposes on himself.

And lastly it was a fun event for charity, it was not a State of the Union address by MLSE.
The pressure on Burke isn't from Peddie, obviously, it's from the media and the voracity with which they'll attack Burke, Wilson, and the players with if the team doesn't make the playoffs (as they always do). A comment like that isn't just made in jest just because it's a charity event, it's meant to spur expectations and build excitement for the fan base. It's not a big deal, he didn't go off on a tangent, and he really knows nothing about hockey. It just comes across as dumb.

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote